PDA

View Full Version : Mishi Goes to the White Coats

RedHedd
06-08-2003, 12:56 PM
and I live to talk about it - completely unscathed! I was shocked that he tolerated the whole procedure so very well. First to get him into the carrier -- I had visions of me in bandages, blood dripping from my arms as I schlepped him to the vet, but NO! No drama or protests! No growling, bites or scratches. What's wrong with this cat?

I gently picked him up half asleep from the bed and just plopped him into the carrier (new top loading soft Samsonite case) with no incident. Then the brand new zipper broke! :o Five minutes to the appointment! Oh No! What to do? I fiddled with it for a bit and got it mostly closed, snapped the straps over the top and off we went. The vet is just across the street from me so it's a short walk. He meowed a bit as we waited for the light to change to cross the street, but that was it. Of course the vet was running late - they're always very busy on a Saturday, so we had to wait. Mishi got a bit impatient but didn't complain too much.

When our turn came I was afraid to let him out of the carrier, but he just calmly walked out, let me pick him up and let the vet examine him. He was purring so loud when she tried to listen to his heart, she couldn't get a count! I joked about him being my Maine Goon cat and she LOVED that, so it's now officially in his medical record -- his breed is now listed as Maine Goon with a little smiley face next to it :)

So he got a nail clip, microchipped, full blood panel, urinalysis and ear cleaning. Got sent home with some ear meds for his waxy ears - he's fine and I'm $250 poorer! :eek: OW! That hurt more than his scratches I was anticipating!

We'll get the test results tomorrow. Now he's fastidiously washing that yucky ear stuff off. I'm supposed to put it in his left ear for the next 5-7 days. He didn't even fight that procedure. I guess he's really settled in, trusts me and I am now officially his forever meowmie. I feel so blessed to have the love of my giant furchild -- he weighed in at 12.9 lbs. and he's still a growing boy! :rolleyes:

jenluckenbach
06-08-2003, 01:39 PM
Very good kitty boy, you are. Sometimes the anticipations makes you think of all the wild thing that MIGHT happen. Glad all went wel.. Hope the ests come back with flying colors.

krazyaboutkatz
06-08-2003, 10:35 PM
I'm glad to hear that everything went well as far as his temperment is concerned. :) I wish I lived close enough to my vets office so that I could walk there too. I also hope that his blood tests come back normal. Please keep us updated.

RedHedd
06-09-2003, 10:38 PM
The vet called tonight with Mishi's test results. Everything came back normal except his kidney function levels were "a little bit elevated." I asked the vet what that meant, and she said not to worry, that he was still very new with me and his system is adjusting to a regular diet. Basically he's healthy and we'll retest in a few months. But now I'm kinda scared. I've never had a cat with kidney problems. I just love the big bugger so much and don't want anything to be wrong! They both also badly need their teeth cleaned, Mishi especially. He has bad gingivitis on one side. I just wish I could afford to do it all at once, but I can't. :(

I tried playing with my new webcam tonight too, but it's going back -- what a piece of ****! :mad: I did capture a bit of Mishi's tail, but it was too blurry and dark for anyone to tell what it was and my system kept doing strange things, so I've uninstalled everything. <sigh> These fur kids! Now I want a digital camera too on top of their dental expenses! I'm going to have to send them both out to get jobs so we can all afford each other! :rolleyes:

krazyaboutkatz
06-10-2003, 12:38 AM
I'm glad to hear that Mishi is healthy. :) I wouldn't worry about the elevated kidney levels just yet. I'm sure he's just adjusting like your vet said. I've had to have both Storm's and Sunny's teeth cleaned and it is expensive but well worth it in the long run. You know that now digital cameras are much less expensive than they used to be. Hopefully you'll be able to buy one soon. I'd love to see more pics of your furkids. :D

NoahsMommy
06-10-2003, 04:54 PM
What a good boy, especially for a maine goon!!! ;) My Noah has "BITES, MEAN" on his chart at the vets....

Glad everything went well and this his abnormal tests were still OK. Send him some kisses from me! :)