PDA

View Full Version : I just found a bird w/ West Nile Virus

Desert Arabian
06-05-2003, 08:30 PM
(I think)
My dad called me outside to "take a look at this", and he pointed to a Mourning Dove sitting between the outdoor rat hutch, and the hose reel. It appeared as if it flew into the window (we have a big backyard window). But I noticed the curtains were half way down the window, which means the bird would have seen the window and veered away, like other birds in the past. I wanted to make sure it was ok (it looked disorientated), so I made to sure grab it firmly, so it wouldn't squirm and injure its self. I took a close look and it appeared to have no broken wings, I could open them, and everything felt normal. I held it a second, in case it just had a big headache from a possible collision with the window. When I put it in the grass, it fell down immediately onto its chest. I thought maybe a leg was broken, but it was gripping my finger right before I put it down, to be sure, I picked it back up again, and the leg seemed normal. I set it back down, and it flew into the row of arborvitae trees we have in our backyard. Yipppeee! It can fly! BUT....it landed in the branch and tumbled down to the ground. I walked over to the trees, and looked at it again, then picked it back up, and looked at it some more. The closer I looked the more this bird looked odd, it had a weird appearance to it, not normal & hard to explain. I thought I'd help it out, again, so I placed it in on a thick branch. It gripped the branch, so I let go...as soon as I let go it plummeted to the ground (not too far). It stumbled away into the neighbor's yard, and I noticed it's head was slightly shaking.

Poor bird! I would have called the local wildlife rehabilitation center, since they know a lot of information on West Nile Virus, but they are closed.

I am 99% positive it is West Nile Virus which has infected this bird. We had a huge problem with WNV last year, and it is coming back this year. Last year I remember finding many dead birds in the city park, which died from WNV. Our yard is loaded with mosquitoes, since our yard is 98% shaded and moist...perfect breeding place for mosquitoes. I refuse to let the cats & rats outside, I just know they will get it. I am afraid I am going to get it, or my mom and dad. This is really scary. I washed my hands for about 5 minutes, in case it had something on its feathers :p.

Anyways, what do you think was wrong with the bird.

binka_nugget
06-05-2003, 08:46 PM
I think you may be right...(although I'm not expert)...did wnv kill anyone in your neighborhood? We didn't have a serious problem last year...but it's coming this summer. Do you wear mosquito repellant? Ack..I'm so afraid of Kai or Me getting it

tikeyas_mom
06-05-2003, 08:55 PM
westNile just might be what was wrong with that bird. We have alot or ravens around here and non have been spotted dead yet, so thats a good sign WN isnt here ,YET. We have a pond and a pool in our back yard, perfect breeding place as well. I always am making sure I have mosquitos*sp?* repelent on. even though that doesnt seem to help me. I have scars all over my lags and arms brom being bitten last year. I hope you and your family, not to mention pets get wn. I am glad Tikeya has a thick coat. .

Desert Arabian
06-05-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
I think you may be right...(although I'm not expert)...did wnv kill anyone in your neighborhood? We didn't have a serious problem last year...but it's coming this summer. Do you wear mosquito repellant? Ack..I'm so afraid of Kai or Me getting it

Last summer three people died in Wisconsin from WNV, and 52 people were positive for the virus. There were also some horses killed, hundreds of wild birds were found dead (including an eagle, hawks, and owls). WNV killed just about all of the penguins at the Milwaukee County Zoo, along with other birds housed there. They are putting screening around the penguin exhibit to keep mosquitoes out.

I only wear repellent when I am going into the deep woods. I can't stand the smell of that junk, and it makes me sneeze horribly. The mosquitoes are so thick/bad, spray repellent won't work, unless its a net suit!

tikeyas_mom
06-05-2003, 09:00 PM
no one has died here in B.C Canada but it was just spotted this year in some birds.

Karen
06-05-2003, 10:24 PM
Try different brands/kinds of mosquito repellent until you find one that doesn't make you sneeze. Usually stuff made hypo-allergenic, and for children, is okay for me to use ...

It's important, just to be on the safe side. Summer has just begun, there's plenty of mosquito season left ...

Did you take the bird somewhere to be tested?

popcornbird
06-06-2003, 01:55 AM
Ohhh poor birdie. :( If the west nile is in your area, it could very possibly be the case, however there are other possibilities. It sounds like the bird was weak and couldn't perch well? :confused: Poor thing. What did you do about him? Did you just leave him there?