PDA

View Full Version : HELP - I need some advice

purrley
10-18-2001, 07:28 AM
I posted quite a while ago about my neighbor who likes to beat up on dogs. Well I turned him into the Human Society and then all of the sudden his dog went away - but NOW - last night I saw him with still another dog. This one looks like a Burmese Mountain dog cross. This is the third dog I've seen him have since he moved in about 8 years ago. First was a little Basset - he beat on that one - then he had a lab mix which he beat on and I turned him into the Human Society on that dog beating. Now this one. I guess he needs something to beat on again. He knows I turned him in before and if he gets turned in on this one he'll know its me too. Guess that's too bad - I've made up my mind that if I see him hitting this dog I'll turn him in again at the risk of being the big B of the neighborhood.

Logan
10-18-2001, 07:38 AM
You don't need advice, Purrley, you're right on track. Poor dogs....... :(

RachelJ
10-18-2001, 10:05 AM
This is so upsetting. I can just imagine what you are going through with this situation. I think I know the answer to this question before I ask it, but do you think there is any way in which he would respond to helpful advice? :(

purrley
10-18-2001, 10:45 AM
Rachel - this man is 52 years old. You know what I'm thinking is posting his name and address to all you guys so you can all write him a letter - give him advise, chew he's **!!## out or something - what do you think?

Cinder & Smoke
10-18-2001, 11:04 AM
Hmmm; Could we reconsider that last idea?

If you want to share this person's address, Please do it via e-mails - NOT on the BBS.

I'd hate to see our normally friendly Pet Talk being accused of generating hate mail!

Not sure what the Post Office might say about sending such mail or posting the jerk's address - their rules don't always make the best of sense. :confused:.

Thanks! http://wsphotofews.excite.com/007/S5/qr/LC/M198156.jpg /s/ Phred

purrley
10-18-2001, 11:06 AM
I'm not really serious about the last idea Cinder - but it would really be funny if he received all this mail from all over the United States and didn't know where it came from and you know it would serve him right :D :D

Cinder & Smoke
10-18-2001, 11:23 AM
I know you tried in the past to find out what the official report was and were denied that information. You might ask to meet with the official Humane OFFICER or Dog WARDEN - the Top Dog, so to speak ;). That person might be more inclined to give you details of the case that the office staff might be told not to release.

As for talking to him yourself - I dunno if that's such a good idea. If he actually suspects you're the one that reported him, he'll probably not welcome a discussion with you. If you could find a mutual friend - another neighbor - to act as a neutral party; you might get further towards actually SOLVING the problem of the dog abuse.

Good luck; but be cautious in your dealings with him.

/s/ Phred... http://wsphotofews.excite.com/007/S5/qr/LC/M198156.jpg

purrley
10-18-2001, 11:27 AM
I've already dealt straight on with him when he beat his last dog - he knows its me and I told him straight out that I'd report him again if I saw him hitting his dog - so he knows very well who's watching.

Cinder & Smoke
10-18-2001, 11:37 AM
I guess it's time to have a serious talk with the Humane Officer or Dog Warden. There ought to be a limit on how many times the same person can be reported before SOMETHING gets done.

Possibly you could recruit some of the neighbors to observe and report the abuse - multiple reports from different wittnesses would have to generate some official actions or formal charges.

purrley
10-18-2001, 11:42 AM
Thanks - i'll take all these things to heart but I haven't seen any abuse with this latest dog yet - you know this guy is a member of the National Guard - just came home from Kuwait a couple weeks ago - but I'd never consider him a hero.

Albea
10-18-2001, 12:09 PM
Is there any way the ASPCA, the Dog Warden, the police, or a judge can present him with a permanent injunction to having dogs in his house? I don't know anything about the laws in your State, but I hope there is something that can be done to keep him from torturing dogs :mad:

wolflady
10-18-2001, 12:48 PM
purrley, I couldn't believe it when I read your post about that man getting another dog!! :mad: He has to be mentally unstable, because I don't see how any sane person could keep repeating something like that. There has got to be a way to not allow that man to have animals at all!! I agree with Cinder and Smoke...there has got be a stop to this somewhere!!! Hugs to you for standing up to him in the first place, but please take caution. Especially since he knows it's you. You never know what people like that are capable of doing. Has someone come out to question him about the previous cases? If his previous dog was seized by animal control or other organization, he should have been given some sort of charges. I'm not sure what the animal welfare laws for your state are, but anyway way you look at it (be it criminal charges or misdemeanors), it is a crime and he shouldn't even be allowed possesion of an animal.

I do think it is a good idea to see if anyone else in the neighborhood has witnessed his behavior, and to see if you can get some people locally to back you up if you/or they see him beating this new dog. Do keep us posted! **hugs**

purrley
10-18-2001, 01:00 PM
One of my other neighbors does know about his abuse but doesn't take it as seriously as we do and would certainly not want to get involved. I'm going over to see her tonight and find out if Bob is just baby sitting this dog or if it's his. You can bet I'll be watching. What is really sad is that this dog is kept in a really small crate in the corner of his garage and he's gone at the same time I am which is 5:00 in the morning and doesn't get home until about 5:00 at night. The poor thing stays cooped up all day :(

jackiesdaisy1935
10-18-2001, 02:51 PM
Purrley I think you must be very careful with this person, someone like that could freak out at anytime. What about visiting the Neighbors and having them sign a petition about seeing the abuse or knowing about it and turning it in to Animal Abuse Officers. If a dog is kept in a small cage from 5 in the a.m. to late afternoon that is abuse in itself. An individual like this one makes me sick. Good luck.
Jackie

purrley
10-18-2001, 02:57 PM
I just want to express my sincere thanks for all the support I've received on this matter. What a wonderful site this is and I'll keep you all posted as to what happens. And I agree Jackie I must treat this very carefully and I will you can be sure, but one thing I will not do is turn my back on any, absolutely any, abuse. As soon as I find out if this is indeed another dog he's adopted I will be sure to address the kennel issue. This is a big dog and needs alot more room than he's getting for being confined for at least 12 hours a day.

Phred
10-18-2001, 03:11 PM
Purrley ~ Are your Cats insiders ONLY; or do they go outside, too??

I don't want to frighten you, but you shouldn't allow YOUR cats to wander into HIS yard!! Anything could happen :eek:!

You must be careful that your FurKids don't get caught up in this guy's rage and become innocent victims.

yorkster
10-18-2001, 04:28 PM
Purrley- How aweful that you have to witness that. However, I don't think this guy will change. If he is that old already, it's just the way he is, and no amount of discussion or pleading will change him. People like that are sick and have an attitude towards animals (and probably their kids and spouses too), that they are their 'property'. I agree also with other peolpe here that you need to be very careful with this guy! Odds are too that he is probably abusing this dog too, but he just does it so that you can't see him (like indoors). Sick People like that just do not change unfortunately. If it was me, this is what I would do: when an oportunity came along, I would steal the dog and find a new, loving, home for it. It might be wrong of me, but I wouldd have to. Maybe there isn't a way you could do that since he keeps it in a crate in the garage. I mean, I am not advocating going on or in his property. Just if maybe the dog is in the yard or something, and he is not around at the moment............for sure if the dog is off his property. Just a thought.

Golden Smiles
10-18-2001, 06:15 PM
Purrly.....thank goodness people like you turn people like that in to the authorities! There should be something comparable to a PFA for animals! This guy is very creepy......I work with abused children and one of the first things we look for is whether the child has a history on animal abuse. Be careful....this guy is capable of anything!

purrley
10-19-2001, 07:35 AM
Here's an update on my dilema. Turns out that for sure this guy has adopted this beautiful Mountain Dog mix. This will be the fourth dog he's gone through in the last 8 years or so. I'm so distressed - I haven't witnessed any abuse with this one yet and I pray to God I don't. However, once a dog beater always a dog beater. Just a matter of time before this one will cower and run from him too. He made it clear for me to mind my own business when I turned him in on his last case of abuse. I do intend to stay out of his business, except where animal abuse is concerned. I will never turn my back on any means of abuse. Wish me luck with this.

jackiesdaisy1935
10-19-2001, 09:30 AM
Perrley, I think you are right once an abuser most likely always an abuser and it probably is only a matter of time before the poor dog doesn't please him and gets beat.
However, the good thing is that he knows you are watching him and it might make him think twice before he does it. Hang in there.
Jackie

wolflady
10-19-2001, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Jackie:
<STRONG>...However, the good thing is that he knows you are watching him and it might make him think twice before he does it. Hang in there.
Jackie</STRONG>

I second this! But I agree...definitely take extra caution when dealing with this guy. I sure hope he doesn't start abusing this dog too :( Hang in there, we'll are here for ya!