PDA

View Full Version : Which could you give up?

Pam
06-05-2003, 06:33 AM
I was just thinking the other day how little TV I watch these days and how big a part of my life the computer has been. It made me wonder if others shared my feelings. If you had to give up either your TV or your computer which would it be? I would give up my TV as I mostly only watch the news and some of the shows on Animal Planet or The Learning Channel. Most of that kind of stuff can be found online. Agree or disagree? :)

anna_66
06-05-2003, 06:48 AM
In the past I would have never said tv, since it was always on no matter what I was doing or if I was watching it or not, but nowdays I find I don't even turn it on till the evening.
Like you said Pam, most of the things we would watch, you can now find online!

Logan
06-05-2003, 07:51 AM
It would be easy for me to give up my television(s), although maybe not so easy for my husband and kids, but given the choice, the tv would go and the computer would stay! :)

zippy-kat
06-05-2003, 08:13 AM
no doubt about it -- TV

RubyMutt
06-05-2003, 08:16 AM
I hardly ever watch TV... there's not many shows that I like

ramanth
06-05-2003, 08:24 AM
I can easily say TV. I've had no TV for over a year now. (Just this past December I got a TV and DVD player but no antenna or cable service)

:)

Barbara
06-05-2003, 08:41 AM
I have no time for TV. I am always at the computer:D :rolleyes:

GoldenRetrLuver
06-05-2003, 08:58 AM
I would give up T.V. Im usally on the computer for a while, unless "The Simpsons" are on.;)

binka_nugget
06-05-2003, 09:11 AM
I'd give up tv. It would be hard because I can't watch my survivor, american idol,american junior, canadian idol..etc but they're always downloadable. I'm always on the net anyways.

Edwina's Secretary
06-05-2003, 09:12 AM
If I need to sew a button on something or paint my fingernails I usually sit in front of the tv (although nails can be done while reading a book!) That's about it.

What I wish is I could figure out a way to have my computer outside so in the summer I could be in the garden and on the computer!

Logan
06-05-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
What I wish is I could figure out a way to have my computer outside so in the summer I could be in the garden and on the computer!

My husband has a perfect solution for that, Sara!! He keeps telling me we should get a wireless network (we have three computers working off of the same cable modem right now, but are not wireless). He said then I could sit outside on pretty days, on the deck with my laptop, enjoy the sunshine and work at the same time! Sometimes it is pretty darned tempting!!! :)

Edwina's Secretary
06-05-2003, 09:57 AM
We have a DSL line and I wanted to set it up wireless so my niece could be online in the basement. (My excuse for getting the DSL line!) The equipment is about $200 to do it (plus of course the DSL.) My niece got all panicky about what we were doing to her computer :rolleyes: so we abandoned the project.

I like the way your husband thinks Logan. Now all I need is a laptop!

KRISTEN14
06-05-2003, 10:27 AM
We got rid of the TV 5 years ago. I don't miss it. Being home schooled since the beggining, Mom wouldn't have been able to do any school with a TV in the house!;)

babolaypo65
06-05-2003, 11:05 AM
Couldn't I give up something less important? like food? water?

I couldnt vote. I neeeeed both. I wrote my entire dissertation in front of the TV....:cool:

popcornbird
06-05-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
If I need to sew a button on something or paint my fingernails I usually sit in front of the tv (although nails can be done while reading a book!) That's about it.

LOL! I do that ALL the time! :D We have a wireless network and its great. Grab the laptop and take it anywhere in the house or outside the house and the internet works great! :D Its DSL too, and that way we can have DSL on all 4 computers with no problem. :) Sometimes I take the laptop and the birdies out in the garden and peacefully use the computer in the nice cool breeze and wonderful greenery, with two birdies in my lap. :D

I would DEFINITELY get rid of the TV, but I don't think I could do without the computer for even 1 day! :eek: We don't even have a TV and haven't for the past 10 years or so...........maybe more. Recently I got a new lcd monitor for my computer that has TV tuning, but I only find myself watching like once every few months for like 10 minutes. :rolleyes: TV has no role in my life.

babolaypo65
06-05-2003, 11:44 AM
Oh me too. Nothing is better than taking the laptop out in to the back yard. And sitting in front of my outdoor fireplace with a fire going, at sunset..... Wireless is sooooo cool.

The Cat Factory
06-05-2003, 11:46 AM
The TV's would stay, the computer would go! You can't play XBOX games on the computer (unless of course you have Xbox Live, but you can only play certain games with that) ;)

marysmerrycats
06-05-2003, 12:11 PM
ok it has started again, one pt'er reading the mind of another pt'er! I was thinking this same thing a few days ago but didnt post it, LOL:D :D

Uabassoon
06-05-2003, 03:11 PM
I'd give up my tv before my computer. I just recently got a tv, I'd been without one for months. And I don't really watch it, I just have it turned on when I take a nap. I like listening to it when I take naps because it's like someone is reading me a bedtime story and I fall asleep much faster.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
06-05-2003, 03:46 PM
I don't think I would be able to give up the comp... :rolleyes: I guess most of us think the same... :)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
06-05-2003, 03:46 PM
I don't think I would be able to give up the comp... :rolleyes: I guess most of us think the same... :)

boscibo
06-05-2003, 04:35 PM
The TV would go - no question. The only thing I watch is Six Feet Under, but I could live without it.

I have a wireless network, my favorite thing is surfing in bed, with a bed tray for the laptop and a bunch of fluffy pillows for me, surrounded by my cats. :)

The Cat Factory
06-05-2003, 05:04 PM
Out of 30 voted, only 3 people would give up their computer LOL :D

Miss Meow
06-05-2003, 05:04 PM
I'd definitely ditch the TV. I can do just about anything on a computer, but just watch like a drone with the TV on - so the computer rules!

Pam
06-05-2003, 05:06 PM
I sort of thought this is the way the poll would go. :) After all, without a computer how could we visit Pet Talk! LOL! Seriously, I do think the quality of TV programming these days is bad and getting worse. Thank goodness for computers and books! :)

RICHARD
06-05-2003, 05:08 PM
computer.

i type all day long and would not miss it one bit...also i'd be able to sit down and write more letters......

the best thing on the planet is to get a hand written letter from a friend........still have some letters from a friend that smell like Giorgio.

i get to the mail box and pull out the mail when i spy a letter written to me. i take a few steps, open the envelope...about 10 minutes later i realize that i have stood in the same spot and read the same letter twice all while smelling the
the sweet perfume of a lady friend.

comp screens don't smell and my nose smudges the screen. there is nothing romantic about CRTs, apples, ibms or the fact that 'dude, i got a dell....'

:(

Pam
06-05-2003, 05:10 PM
But Richard admit it - you'd miss all of us!!

RICHARD
06-05-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Pam
But Richard admit it - you'd miss all of us!!

oh for sure.......but i know you'd all be waiting by the mail box!!!!;)

Pam
06-05-2003, 05:14 PM
:D :D :D :D You could rack up quite a postage bill though!

slleipnir
06-05-2003, 05:17 PM
Not sure. I spend a lot more time on the computer then watching TV. Infact, I don't watch a lot. Especially now that Survivor isn't on -sniff-

KYS
06-05-2003, 05:36 PM
babolaypo65:Couldn't I give up something less important? like food? water?>>>>>

LOL! Know way could I give up food. hehehe
I am on the PC more than I watch T.V.
But if I had to choose, (which, I am glad I do not),
I would give up my PC. :(

Cookiebaker
06-05-2003, 05:50 PM
Heh...I don't even have a TV. :rolleyes: We have a VCR, but the TV isn't hooked up or anything, so it's kind of easy for me to say that I'd gladly give that up.

bluekat
06-05-2003, 06:40 PM
I used to watch TV practically all day, but know, its the computer. So I agree with you, I would give up my TV if I had to choose. But I still LOVE TV.

tikeyas_mom
06-05-2003, 07:10 PM
I like PT and hamsterific. but that is about all I ever do on here, on TV their is soooo much more to watch. like that 70s show, will and grace, and reality shows, montel lol .. I could and have giving up computer just to have tv lol.