PDA

View Full Version : Willow's trip to the Vet/Groomers...

Cookiebaker
06-03-2003, 07:35 PM
We just got back from taking Willow for a check up, and now he (yes, it is definitely a HE) is all shook up, shaking in his cage. :( So, I'm leaving him alone for a little while in the darkened kitchen so that he can get his bearings again.

The not-so-good news is about the lump I found on his paw. The vet described him like a "cobblestone road" because after getting his bum shaved, there are at least 20 or 30 such lumps. :( She isn't sure what they are (she drew fluid off of one of them to do a test) but thinks they are cholesterol build up. She said that this could be a result of poor eating long term. :(

The other bad news is she was concerned about his age/condition. She doesn't think he has long to live :( but was encouraged us that no matter how much time he has left, we can provide a quality life for him. I know its a fact of life, but I just feel so sad....:(

On the positive side, he was SUCH a good bunny!! He relaxed while she shaved him. The vet was very approving of the crate that we have and of the diet we have been feeding him. Now that he is shaved, he looks so funny!! I will be posting pictures later on after he settles down a bit. His toes which were just a burr of fur, are sooooo cute!!! I love his tootsies! :o :)

I asked about getting him neutered and she really advised us against it given his age. And his litterbox behaviour is NOT likely to improve. So, I guess I'll just continue following him around with wads of paper towel in my hand. :rolleyes:

I was VERY pleased with this vet and their handling of Willow. They obviously knew about bunnies and their treatment etc. I had used this vet back when our Nibbles & Buffy (hamsters) were alive. They specialize in "exotics" and "small animals". And the $ was very reasonable as well.

The vet also advised that we bathe Willow. :eek: I had no idea that you could bathe a bunny! His bum (hidden by mats) was quite nasty and dirty. So I must admit that I'm scared to attempt this, so I'm gonna go to the famous Rabbit.ORG website to find out what there is to know on that subject.

Anyway, just thought I'd give y'all an update on the Willow-bunster. Oh one more thing....Willow finally tried parsley...and he now LOVES it!! Good bunny!! :)

slick
06-03-2003, 08:33 PM
Oh Willow you've got such a good Mommy and glad to hear you are good at the vets. So sorry you've almost come to the end of the road but you've got a great home and you will be loved til the very end. But the end is not the end, it's the beginning of your new healthy life at the Rainbow Bridge.

I know you feel bad Cookiebaker but Willow knows how much you love him. Enjoy the time you have.

captain
06-03-2003, 08:42 PM
Oh gorgeous Willow - what a good bunny you are.

You are the luckiest bunny ever to have finally found a mum like Cookiebaker!!!
Fingers crossed you only have "fatty lumps!!!"

Aspen and Misty
06-03-2003, 09:40 PM
Man can we say well loved? :D

Willow, Hunney, you are such a lucky bunny to have found such a wonderful person to care for you. I couldn't think of anyone else who could do a better job. And another thing, how about you prove them vets wrong and live to ve old, very old. We want to have you around us as long as possible.

May you live a comfortable life with your new loving and wonderfull mommy.

Love,
Ashley

Hay'z zarz Willoz. I'z juzt thoughtz I would saiz zhat I hopz your momz don'tz embarrez youz with to manyz picz. Youz are onez luckiez bunz to havz such a greatz momz. Enjoyz the Parsley, itz a wonderfulz thingz.

Julianz

Ash

shais_mom
06-03-2003, 11:33 PM
I am soooo glad you rescued him! He is going to be quite spoiled! You are a wonderful mommy!

shellonabeach
06-04-2003, 12:39 PM
I couldn't believe what I was reading the first time round, but I have taken it in. I can't believe that he may not have long left :(

I'm sure he feels a million times better with that dirty, matted old coat off - and I'm sure he will thank you for his nice bath.

I was thinking, if you could get it, perhaps he would like fresh grass (not cut with a lawn mower) - that would help fatten him up a little (or even dried grass which you can buy for small animals). I found mine prefer these to just hay.

One other thing - have you considered a vet report and passing it onto the authorities, so that the lady who neglected Willow has to answer for the hurt she has caused him and you?

Sorry to be glum, he is in the best place and has the best chance for living (if love alone could heal them he would be a young kitten again!)

Best wishes

Cinder & Smoke
06-04-2003, 02:06 PM
Hellow, God ~

Jest a lil Prayer fur our bunnie-bud - Willow...

'Preciate all Your Help gettin Willow inna nice howze wiff CookieBaker;
an havin da Whit Coat check tingz out.

Kuld You, paLeeze, do Your Best ta make Willow reel kumfortabul?
Kinda saddenz us :( dat You mite need him up atta Bridge fur sum speshul Bunnie Werk... but mebbee You'll be abul ta let him stay down here onna Big Durt Ball fur a while longer? That wuld make hiz new Bunnie-Mom awful *happie*!

Thankz, God! ;)

/s/ da Prayer Pups

Daisylover
06-04-2003, 04:38 PM
Cookiebaker,
My heart is breaking for you both. I remember how much you wanted a bunny of your own........ I also do hospice for bunnies at the sanctuary and I can tell you it is a very rewarding experience....

....somewhat heartbreaking at the end but it also gives a sense of well being and pride to know that you have saved a bunny and given him love, a good home and a wonderful ending after a not so happy life......

You are to be commended for rescuing Willow and sticking with him.....many people would not bother....you are a very special person. Bless you!

zippy-kat
06-04-2003, 05:10 PM
Oh Sweet-Willow, please remember that although it is an educated opinion, it is an opinion nonetheless. I pray that you may prove them wrong and live to a grand ol' age!

{{Cookiebaker and Family}}
This little one is in the best hands possible. Thank you a 1000 times over for coming to his aid and giving him a LOVING home, regardless of the amount of time he has left.

If you need me, I'm only a PM a way...

ChloeLove
06-04-2003, 05:58 PM
I am so sorry about Willow! But we know he is loved very very much right now, and we know you will give him the best life possible right till the very end.

RockyRoad
06-04-2003, 07:24 PM
Willow may not have much time to live, but I bet that bun is so special that God will give him extra time here with you. I hope those lumps turn out to be something treatable and minor as well. I can imagine he looks super-cute now...can't wait to see some pics of him. :)

P.S. Glad he likes parsley! (Although I never met a bunny that didn't like parsley!) ;)

Cookiebaker
06-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Truly a big thank you to all of you for your support and warm wishes. (I think we need a smiley with big leaky eyes 'cause that one would be suitable right about now after reading this thread)

No word yet from the vet as to the lump-test...

I think that the vet visit yesterday really traumautized him...he finally came out of his cage this evening, and even then, he wasn't his usually happy snorpfling self.

I took some pictures of the Willow-bunster tonight...but they didn't turn out too good. I don't like to use the flash too much (I'm afraid that it will hurt his [and any of my pets really] eyes) and I will try and get some pics when it's daylight out. Here's Willow sporting his new doo....

http://www2.innevi.com/~emenay/newwil.JPG
A grumpy bun...

http://www2.innevi.com/~emenay/newwil2.JPG
A newly shaved Bunny-Bum :o

http://www2.innevi.com/~emenay/newwil3.JPG
A close-up...a REAL close-up...

http://www2.innevi.com/~emenay/newwil4.JPG
Scratching where it itches...

Cincy'sMom
06-04-2003, 08:36 PM
He is so cute!!! No matter how long he is with you, he willbe be a well loved, well cared for bun-bun and that is what matters. Don't worry for how long, just enjoy him :)

anna_66
06-04-2003, 08:37 PM
Well, I must say it is good to see that he is finally coming out of his cage again, but I'm so sorry to hear that he's been neglected so badly throughout his life http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/sad/cry.gif(Is this what you were looking for, it's how I feel after reading this).
All I know is you and your family will give him the best life possible, no matter how much time he has left (and hopefully like others have said, he has longer than they think).
Thank you Anna for rescuing this sweet bun, I think he's just beautiful with his newly shaved bunny bum:)

Karen
06-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Whew! Miss Hoppy and I were woriied that he was shaved like a lamby down ta almost nuffin - glad to see he's still got fluff - aka dignity! She says he musta been an abused bunny for sure not to know parsley was good - and we are all glad he's on the road to recovery and parsley addiction, too!

I won't let her tell you her viewpoint on baths - we don't allow such strong language at Pet Talk. Just make sure he stays warm afterwards, doing it on a nice hot day would be good, if summer ever comes!

And he may be old-ish, but I, for one, hopes he proves her wrong, and lives for a good long time.

aly
06-04-2003, 10:27 PM
Poor baby must've been in AWFUL hands for his life. Thank you so much for rescuing him and giving him a LOVING home for his remaining time. You're a great bun mom and I know he'll forgive you soon for that nasty vet visit :)

He's just about the cutest bunny in the world. Something about him has stolen my heart. You give him big kisses from me please!

When I got Peka, they told me she might only have a month left. Well 10 months later she's still doing fine. So keep the faith and stay positive like you are.

Looking forward to more pics!