PDA

View Full Version : Indy Suffered A Great Loss Today

lizbud
06-03-2003, 07:16 PM
I really don't know where to post this, but there was terrible
news from the Indianapolis Zoo today. Our baby elephant Amali
died this morning. This news caught everyone by surprise b/c
all the news since her surgery was so optimistic. I feel so sad
for this sweet little baby girl.:( I am glad that they let the other elephants say goodbye to her.

There was some sad news at the Indianapolis Zoo Tuesday morning.

Amali, the first African elephant in the world born through artificial insemination, died at around 9:30 am.

Amali was born in 2000, bringing worldwide acclaim to the zoo for its success with artificial insemination.

Last month, doctors performed surgery to correct an intestinal blockage on the 2,000-lb. female. The three-year-old elephant was fitted with a "rescue sling'' designed for horses that supported her weight while she recuperated.

"She had really been extremely stable the entire two weeks, in fact, making small steps of improvement. And, really, the death this morning was very sudden and unexpected,” said Dr. Jeff Proudfoot, senior veterinarian.

On Tuesday afternoon, the elephants seemed normal as they snacked on high branches. But they knew their extended family had suffered a loss. Their trainers made sure the animals had a chance to see the body of Amali. "They do a lot of touching and mostly through vocalizations and touching with the trunk is what they observed,” said Dr. Proudfoot.

The zoo describes Amali as a pioneer and a model for understanding the behavior of other young elephants. She was a huge attraction for families and for school field trips at the zoo.

Visitors did not always know about Amali's scientific significance the way the zoo did. But zoo leaders say they expect lots of tears from today's news both outside the zoo and inside.
http://wishtv.static.worldnow.com/images/1305529_BG1.jpg :(

mugsy
06-03-2003, 07:49 PM
Poor baby. I guess she'll be at the Bridge too. I hate reading things like that.

Karen
06-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Amali, your brief life on Earth was a miracle and you were a wonder to behold. We all will miss you, and hope you watch over all elephants now as their special angel.

slick
06-03-2003, 08:51 PM
That's so sad. I'm sure Amali is greatly missed.

lizbud
06-03-2003, 09:08 PM
I'm not a big fan of Zoos per se, but the Indy Zoo is different
now than the ones in the old days. It's located in the White
River State Park and the grounds are designed with the animals
needs in mind.

http://www.projectelephant.org

Rest in Peace sweet Amali.:(

Sudilar
06-03-2003, 10:19 PM
RIP, Amali, run free and strong at Rainbow Bridge.

moosmom
06-04-2003, 08:36 AM
Rest in Peace Amali.

As you know, elephants are very family oriented. When they choose mates, it's for life. I'm glad that the other elephants had a chance to say good-bye to a precious little girl.

ramanth
06-04-2003, 09:04 AM
Oh so sad. :(

Rest in peace dear Amali.

lizbud
06-04-2003, 09:38 AM
There was a nice write up in this morning's paper about Amali,
and how the other members of the elephant herd dealt with
her passing. Seems she died in her sleep, and really came as
quite a shock to everyone, including the Vets who treated her.

http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/7/048100-4087-092.html

Logan
06-04-2003, 10:08 AM
This is very sad, Liz. :( Isn't it amazing how many people, and animals were touched by this sweet baby?

Cataholic
06-04-2003, 11:20 AM
:(

anna_66
06-05-2003, 06:59 AM
:(
R.I.P. Amali

lizbud
06-05-2003, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the kind thoughts guys.One last thing, when the
evening news announcer said "Sad news from the Indy Zoo today" , my heart just dropped.Then he gave the story of her death. I just couldn't say anything, but "oh no, poor baby" and
started to cry.That was the first time that Smokey had seen me
upset & crying. He was VERY concerned & followed me around
till I sat down, then he sat down also & just watched me. He was
so sweet. :)