PDA

View Full Version : NM Pet Talk Meeting

zippy-kat
06-03-2003, 05:01 PM
Who? YOU!
Where? Albuquerque, NM
When? October (see below)

Hi all! Here's an invite to visit us SouthWesterners!

The National Arabian Horse Show begins Oct. 17th and runs through Oct. 25. That leaves two weekends: the 17th/18th/19th or the 24th/25th/26th. I *HIGHLY* suggest the weekend of the 24th/25th/26th. The culmination of the even is on the night of the 25th and I *STRONGLY* recommend attending this. (The opening ceremony with the American/Canadian national anthem is completely breathtaking!! Two yrs ago they also did a special tribute to 9-11. AWESOME!)

I know not everyone is a horse nut but there are other things as well... Zoo, Aquarium, last year there was a cat show held on the same grounds as the horse show... and babolaypo65 is scoutin' out 'doggie' ideas as well as other interests.

Anyone interested?!

If I drive, I'm more than willing to pick up anyone from the airport and/or carpool!

babolaypo65
06-03-2003, 05:11 PM
As an Albuquerquean (what an odd word) I'll certainly be there!!!!! Looking forward to it zip! thanks for getting this started.

I might not make it to many of the horse events, silly job gets in the way, but a pet talk event I'll skip work for!

delidog
06-03-2003, 09:35 PM
is the hot air balloon race in sept. or oct.??? can't remember...
any chance to visit New Mexico should be taken Full advantage of...
and SO close to Santa Fe and Taos.....
and the Sangre De Christo!!!!

Can You Tell that I Miss it TERRIBLY?!?!?!

Have fun...

babolaypo65
06-03-2003, 09:58 PM
Baloon fiesta is early October. Same time the aspens change......

delidog
06-03-2003, 10:00 PM
Heavy Sigh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

babolaypo65
06-03-2003, 10:10 PM
I promise to post pictures from the Sangres while the aspens are changing this fall... Does that help?

delidog
06-03-2003, 10:24 PM
Sniff!!!!!
That would be SO Nice!!!!!!
I used to live in Arroyo Hondo.....right off access rd. of 25 north
off Old Pecos Trail exit....
We built "Pinon Farm" there...its' still there...but has been sold..

babolaypo65
06-03-2003, 10:27 PM
I know it well. I was born and raised in Santa fe....I've lived away from NM a few times, and the feeling never leaves you. My mom used to tell me that when I was growing up, but I didn't believe her.

delidog
06-03-2003, 10:36 PM
You are sooo right...I loved my years there.....
spent lots of time at The Bull Ring,...The Pink Adobe,and so many other Great places...Oar House....
I'm glad that you know our farm....we built it from the ground up..
I actually lived in a motor home on the land as it was going up...while we were renovating the main house and the caretakers' cottage....
all while trying to qualify for the 84 games in L.A......what great years' they were!!!!
it was such a beautiful place...great indoor ring.....
i should dig up some old pics.....

Now that I've gone down memory lane.......:)

aly
06-04-2003, 12:24 AM
Tonya,

I can't guarantee I'll make it but I'll try my darndest. The early notice helps and I'll be sure to keep my schedule cleared. I'm about 80% sure I'll be there.

Not sure if I'll drive or fly. It'd be 14 hours driving according to Map Quest. I'm not so sure I could do that drive alone. Heeey micki, Par, and other Texans... any of you going and wanna carpool maybe?

zippy-kat
06-04-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by aly
Tonya,

I can't guarantee I'll make it but I'll try my darndest. The early notice helps and I'll be sure to keep my schedule cleared. I'm about 80% sure I'll be there.

Not sure if I'll drive or fly. It'd be 14 hours driving according to Map Quest. I'm not so sure I could do that drive alone. Heeey micki, Par, and other Texans... any of you going and wanna carpool maybe?

Austin is about 4-5 hours from here and then it's another 5 to Albq. I'm not sure that's the shortest route but it shaves a few hours off of mapquest's approximation. If you want to drive down this way, we could carpool.

~~~~~~~~~
How far is Midland from you? I forgot that I'll be over there for school...

aly
06-04-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
Austin is about 4-5 hours from here and then it's another 5 to Albq. I'm not sure that's the shortest route but it shaves a few hours off of mapquest's approximation. If you want to drive down this way, we could carpool.

Well I could definately do 4-5 hours so that works! Yay :D

babolaypo65
06-04-2003, 08:02 AM
YAY! What about Uabassoon and some others from Arizona? (and of course any others from texas, and Colorado, utah, Mexico and anywhere else nearby?)

gini
06-04-2003, 11:52 AM
Hmmmm, I have never been to New Mexico..............and you all make it sound pretty wonderful.

zippy-kat
06-04-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by gini
Hmmmm, I have never been to New Mexico..............and you all make it sound pretty wonderful.

*jaw drops* :D :D :D
We'd LOVE to have Miz Gini as our guest of honor!

In the praise of the state:
I think one of the most wonderful things about NM residents...
we don't know a stranger!

aly
06-04-2003, 10:15 PM
So the weekend is including a Friday with stuff for us to do too?

zippy-kat
06-04-2003, 10:35 PM
I guess that's up to whomever shows up... there's the zoo/aquarium and the malls... I can't think of anything else off hand except the horse show. (The actual horse show runs 17th-25th--it's HUGE.)

There's a bunny rescue... ;)
Trail riding...
Santa Fe (ie OUTLET MALLS! lol) aren't too far away...

The only horse show I *really* want to attend is on the night of the 25th--and it's the culmination of all the events, "best in show" so to speak...

I'll try to find some links of places to visit, etc.

babolaypo65
06-04-2003, 10:42 PM
There's not much left of the outlet malls. I wouldn't recommend them. But, dont forget the TRAM!, and old town, down town santa fe... all the museums up there... for history buffs there's also the atomic museum in abq (remember that the first atomic bomb was built in NM)...
I'll keep thinking of things too...

for folks with dogs, there's a couple of dog parks... if one drove up to the top of the mountain (pets arent allowed on the tram) there's some great trails back there, pet friendly, with AMAZING views...

zippy-kat
06-04-2003, 11:12 PM
Albq. Links

Visitor's Guide (http://www.cabq.gov/visitorinfo.shtml)
The Macaroni Grill (http://999dine.com/NM/Macaroni/index.html) :D :D

Santa Fe Links
The Tram (http://www.sandiapeak.com/)
Visiting Santa Fe (http://santafe.org/cgi-bin/siteman/page.cgi?g=Visiting_Santa_Fe%2F&d=1)

Animal Themed
Wildlife West Nature Park (http://frontpage.swcp.com/~wildlife/) (I have no idea where this is at... babolaypo?)
Victory Ranch Alpacas (http://www.victoryranch.com/)
Rio Grande Nature Center (http://www.frgnc.org/)

wolf_Q
06-05-2003, 12:02 AM
I would *LOVE* to go!!! *sigh* I'll have to check and see how many hours it is from me.......I'm at the top of Utah, SLC way.....so it's not real close....

Maybe I could find a good deal to fly? It'd have to be a REALLY good deal because we may make a road trip to the dog park in Ohio, so I'll be out of money. :( Shouldn't be too much to fly from UT to NM.....hmm...

babolaypo65
06-05-2003, 11:06 AM
awesome. good work (cept the tram is in abq). ill look for some others!

Nice work slipping the Macaroni Grill in there!

Wildlife west is in the east mountains, (kinda behind the big mountain in ABQ... I've never been there though)

Albq. Links

Visitor's Guide (http://www.cabq.gov/visitorinfo.shtml)
The Macaroni Grill (http://999dine.com/NM/Macaroni/index.html) :D :D

Santa Fe Links
The Tram (http://www.sandiapeak.com/)
Visiting Santa Fe (http://santafe.org/cgi-bin/siteman/page.cgi?g=Visiting_Santa_Fe%2F&d=1)

Animal Themed
Wildlife West Nature Park (http://frontpage.swcp.com/~wildlife/) (I have no idea where this is at... babolaypo?)
Victory Ranch Alpacas (http://www.victoryranch.com/)
Rio Grande Nature Center (http://www.frgnc.org/)

babolaypo65
06-05-2003, 11:17 AM
Here's a bit more:

http://www.abqdog.com/

http://www.atomicmuseum.com/

For good food (not the best?) in a really nice environment (gives you the feel of the place
http://www.elpinto.com/

(the back side of the mountain. A great way to get to Santa fe, not much longer? lots to do?)
http://www.turquoisetrail.org/madrid.htm

as the time gets closer I'll know what's scheduled in town and around during that week...:D

ParNone
06-05-2003, 12:28 PM
aly writes:

Heeey micki, Par, and other Texans... any of you going and wanna carpool maybe?
Hey aly! Boy I'd really love to, but that's a pretty long drive.
I use to live in Las Cruces, NM and the best time I ever made
from there to Houston was 12 hours and Albq. is even further.
I'm not sure I'd have enough vacation left for a trip to NM in
Oct, unless my backcountry backpacking trip falls through in July.
If my plans change, I'll let you guys know. Maybe us Texans
can get together for a lil' day hike with the dogs in the fall,
when it cools down a lil'... Enchanted Rock is a great place.
Lost Maples was really nice too... Bet that place is gorgeous
in the fall...

Par...

aly
06-05-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by ParNone

Maybe us Texans
can get together for a lil' day hike with the dogs in the fall,
when it cools down a lil'... Enchanted Rock is a great place.
Lost Maples was really nice too... Bet that place is gorgeous
in the fall...

Par...

I'd be up for that. Enchanted Rock is pretty close to me. I also know of some other nice dog friendly places in Austin. Actually I have a big book of dog friendly places all around Texas. I should look through that to see what else is around the Houston/Austin/Dallas areas.

aly
06-05-2003, 05:21 PM
Is anyone bringing their dogs to the Albq meeting? I was thinking about it but decided against it since it sounds like we'll be out and about a lot and I doubted they were allowed at the horse shows. I didn't want to leave them alone at the hotel. But if other people are bringing theirs, maybe I could bring Reecie.

I'm excited :)

zippy-kat
06-05-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by aly
Is anyone bringing their dogs to the Albq meeting? I was thinking about it but decided against it since it sounds like we'll be out and about a lot and I doubted they were allowed at the horse shows. I didn't want to leave them alone at the hotel. But if other people are bringing theirs, maybe I could bring Reecie.

I'm excited :)

From what I remember, dogs are allowed on the grounds and in all the buildings EXCEPT for the judging ring/area/building/whuteva ya call it! :)

aly
06-05-2003, 06:41 PM
From what I remember, dogs are allowed on the grounds and in all the buildings EXCEPT for the judging ring/area/building/whuteva ya call it! :)

Ohhh really?? Hmmm! Its very tempting to take Reece but I wouldn't want to drag anyone down so I'll wait and see if any others are bringing dogs. I know I can't bring Lolly. She's less "portable" than Reece (size wise) and I think her eyes would pop out of her head if she saw a horse :) She also loves to "talk" when she's in a new place.. and lets just say she talks VERY LOUDLY!

babolaypo65
06-06-2003, 08:55 AM
While I don't actually have to GO anywhere, I'd love it if there were other dogs there. There's a pub nearby with a patio that allows dogs, even serves dog food and water. It's on the menu.
A couple of restaurants around town have leash connectors. Of course it all depends on the weather...

zippy-kat
06-06-2003, 09:36 AM
I can't bring Sara but I could bring either K'Cee or Piper......

Hmm... :D

Uabassoon
06-19-2003, 10:11 PM
I think I may want to go, I've only been there once for a rugby tournament so I didn't really get to see much. Maybe I can find a cheap flight, I really don't want to make an 8 hour drive.

Karen
06-19-2003, 10:20 PM
So who's going? You know I'd love to make every Pet Talk gathering, but do have a job, and can't be everywhere at once! But I've never been to NM ...

zippy-kat
06-20-2003, 08:05 AM
Myself & possibly my roommate (may leave her at home to take care of whichever furkid I leave behind lol)
Gypsyarabian (don't know if she's a member anymore, the "big clean-up" might've wiped her off)

babolaypo65
06-20-2003, 08:37 AM
ME! I live here!

ps. i saw on the news that this may be the last year for the horse show, that oklahoma is trying to woo it away.

come to nm!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-20-2003, 08:55 AM
Wow, sounds like a great time! And I love NM! It's so beautiful, and it seems all the snowbirds flock to Arizona, but I much prefer NM over Arizona - especially since the snowbirds flock to Arizona. ;) :D

I would love to attend, and think it would be a great time, but unfortunately we are already scheduled to me in the Amana Colonies in Iowa in October for a motorhome rally. :( The nice thing about the rallies is they will fix 6 things on your motorhome for free, and there are some minor things we want fixed, so there's little to no chance Terry will want to change plans. :(

I'll definitely be looking for stories and pics of the event though. :D

zippy-kat
06-20-2003, 09:12 PM
My mom's interested in going...
so add Zippy's Mom to the list! :)

:eek: does this mean i hafta be g-o-o-d?!:eek:

Uabassoon
06-24-2003, 03:02 AM
I was wondering if any of you who will have to make a long drive or a flight would possibly be interested in sharing a hotel room. I think I could come up with enough money for a plane ticket, but having a hotel room alone could be a little pricey.

aly
06-24-2003, 05:58 PM
I can't bring Sara but I could bring either K'Cee or Piper......

Hmm... :D

Ohh! If you bring one of them, I'd definately bring Reecie. He loves kitties and bunnies! He's only met one bun before that didn't want to play with him, so he pouted! They're both used to Sara, right? So they wouldn't be scared of my big bad Poodle boy? :)

The only thing that will probably stop me from going is if I have a big test coming up during that next week.

zippy-kat
07-07-2003, 11:41 PM
~*bump*~

I've heard rumors that two other pet talkers are going to try and make it.... *cough,cough*amy,naomi*cough,cough*

Anyone else?:cool:

wolf_Q
07-07-2003, 11:45 PM
If I can find a really good deal on airfare I'll see what I can do. Watch out for deals for me! It shouldn't be *too* much from UT to NM....but I'd have to have somebody pick me up...and well, hang around with as I'd have no car.

Unfortunately, Nebo would not be able to go...I don't want to fly him, and it's not likely I'll find somebody to drive me after the Ohio trip.

Oh, and there's always the Greyhound bus....but after taking that to Boise, ID once, I'm NOT going on it alone! :o

zippy-kat
07-07-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
It shouldn't be *too* much from UT to NM....but I'd have to have somebody pick me up...and well, hang around with as I'd have no car.

I can pick ya up, no problem. :)
Hang around with? Have you had your shots? ;) Kidding... of course you're more than welcome to hang out with me and aly and whomever else shows up!

aly
07-08-2003, 12:18 AM
Yeah Amy, we'll take Tonya to get that bunny tattoo I drew for her ;)

zippy-kat
07-08-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by aly
Yeah Amy, we'll take Tonya to get that bunny tattoo I drew for her ;)
hahaha.... but ya know, if I get one... you guys hafta get one too! ;) lol

aly
07-08-2003, 12:46 AM
hahaha.... but ya know, if I get one... you guys hafta get one too! ;) lol

On second thought, maybe we'll just go out for coffee!! :p

Nomilynn
07-08-2003, 12:53 AM
Hey Aly I'm STILL waiting for my Bassett tattoo!!!!!!!!! :D

I'll keep pestering my dad :)

zippy-kat
07-09-2003, 11:55 PM
*bump*

I heard another rumor of someone else attending.... ;)
All*sneeze*CreaturesGreatandSmall*sneeze*

any other takers? :D

kohala
07-10-2003, 12:16 AM
And She Who Needs Supervision! AND October, a possible more do-able time, for both me and my poor little old car. This could happen. I really want to go to NM as I am interested in checking it out for a lot of personal reasons, and I am a major horse lover - can't ride, but sure can admire!!
Hmmmmmmmmm
Can I be a tentative? And UAB - I might be interested in a room share, not sure if I can go yet.

zippy-kat
07-10-2003, 12:20 AM
YaY Ko!! We'd love to have you come for a visit!!:D :cool:

All Creatures Great And Small
07-10-2003, 10:20 AM
OK, I'm getting really excited now, because it looks like I can come to Albuquerque on the Amtrak! My lifelong dream has been to take a long Amtrak train ride somewhere, anywhere. I'm finally in a position where I have the funds, but every time I checked the timetables for taking Amtrak somewhere, it had me arriving at my destination, or leaving, at some ungodly hour like 2 AM. Not too conducive to getting a rental car or anything.

However, checking the timetable for the "Southwest Chief", I could leave Milwaukee at 10 AM, and arrive in Albuquerque the next day at 3 PM. The return trip leaves at 1 PM and gets back to Milwaukee the next day at 4 PM. I'm giddy!!!!!!

I will definitely have to bring YLL; she is as train nutty as me, and this would be worth having her miss a day or two of school. (And "kids" are half price on Amtrak - this would be a month before she turns 16, and is still "cheap to keep"!)

AND, I have never been to New Mexico - I've been to every state AROUND New Mexico, but never there (except for stopping at The Four Corners once). WOO HOO! TRAIN TRIP! Even better than a road trip! Now, if I could just find a mule show going on around there in October........;) :p

aly
07-10-2003, 12:42 PM
WOW! Thats so exciting, ACGAS! I hope it works out :) I'd love to meet you both.

zippy-kat
07-10-2003, 01:48 PM
I'm getting almost as excited as Kayann now! What fun this will be!

ACGAS, I'm not sure where the train station is -- will you guys need a lift from the station to your hotel? That's another thing I need to check on... hotels.

I know last year, the Arab Association provided a list of hotels that offered a discount for those who attended the show. And, if we have enough people, might we qualify for a group discount?

lbaker
07-10-2003, 02:41 PM
hmmmmmmm... Aly, maybe Karen & Paul - kinda sounds like the beginings of a #1 Talk Meeting we had in Texas. hmmmmmmm, I'll discuss w/ Gini next week at the LA Meet hmmmmmmm
Laurie

aly
07-10-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by lbaker
hmmmmmmm... Aly, maybe Karen & Paul - kinda sounds like the beginings of a #1 Talk Meeting we had in Texas. hmmmmmmm, I'll discuss w/ Gini next week at the LA Meet hmmmmmmm
Laurie

Oh please please please please please PLEASE!! Come!!! Reece needs to see his Auntie Laurie!! :D

Kfamr
07-10-2003, 03:04 PM
I just asked dad if he wanted ANOTHER road trip and i about go things thrown at me. :p

zippy-kat
07-10-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by aly
Oh please please please please please PLEASE!! Come!!! Reece needs to see his Auntie Laurie!! :D

Please, please, please with a fluff-er-y Piper and sugary K'Cee on top? :D *gives Laurie the bunny-kat eyes* (as opposed to puppy-dawg eyes! ;) )

KayAnn--if you opened a 'dog-walking' biz and earned the money, would your parents allow you to fly?

Kfamr
07-10-2003, 04:28 PM
LOl.. i doubt it... I'd be waaaaaay to afraid to go alone anyways!

Uabassoon
07-10-2003, 04:50 PM
Kohala I'm still not 100% sure if I am going. But let me know if you decide to go, because having a roommate will really help cut the costs for me and make me more likely to go.

babolaypo65
07-10-2003, 05:47 PM
I'm pretty sure the train station is still on first and central (which is a MUCH better locale than it used to be.) I'll check on that.
As for hotels theres TONS by the airport now that are reasonable and safe.
wheres the show? fair grounds? (A not so nice place for hotels)....

I'm getting almost as excited as Kayann now! What fun this will be!

ACGAS, I'm not sure where the train station is -- will you guys need a lift from the station to your hotel? That's another thing I need to check on... hotels.

I know last year, the Arab Association provided a list of hotels that offered a discount for those who attended the show. And, if we have enough people, might we qualify for a group discount?

babolaypo65
07-10-2003, 06:42 PM
PS: Unless all heck breaks out at work I can help with airport/train pick ups!:D

zippy-kat
07-10-2003, 07:01 PM
Yes, the show will be held on the fairgrounds. :)

I'll get some more information/links (re: the show) for you guys within the next couple of days!

babolaypo65
07-10-2003, 07:21 PM
and I'll post some links for the hotels near the airport (which is probably the closest safe place to the fair thats cheap!)

07-10-2003, 11:41 PM
I'll be renting a car - I'm a total control freak and must be in charge of my own driving destiny. ;) Hertz reimburses for taxi fare from the train station to the rental car place.

Karen
07-11-2003, 12:23 AM
Hey, Laurie, Aly, (and Reese and Lolly) maybe we'll be able to come - another Pet Talk gathering in the works ...

aly
07-11-2003, 12:34 AM
That'd be GREAT to see you and Paul again!!! :D

Unfortunately, I don't think Lolly will be coming. I'm afaind she'd pee her pants if she saw a horse :eek: She'll probably stay and get spoiled at grandma's house :)

lbaker
07-11-2003, 12:57 PM
A few years ago I flew to Albuquerque then took the train to Gallup NM to meet my husband touring the SW (one of our favorite places). I love trains and it was a wonderful ride until just before we pulled up to the Gallup Station we ran over an Indian and had to wait almost an hour while they "looked for parts" :eek: :eek: The rest of my vacation went much better. I stayed at a La Quinta hotel very close to the Albuquerque airport the evening before I flew home. Very reasonable cost, clean and friendly and a free shuttle to the airport. Haven't really looked on the WEB but if they have an AmeriSuites hotel nearby it's worth looking into. We all stayed there at our first meet in TX and it was great. Dogs allowed, micro & fridge in each room, and quite reasonable. Could get our PetTalk fix in too with the computer access room they had in the lobby :D I'm really going to try. But Aly, won't little LollyPup get upset that ReeceMan will be getting all the attention :confused:
Laurie

babolaypo65
07-11-2003, 06:02 PM
There's an Amerisuites in a GREAT area (zip its between Coronado and Winrock Mall, Off Lousiana about a mile from the fair grounds in a safe area, next to a retirement community LOL). About a block from Zippykats fav restaurant and proposed meeting spot (Macaroni Grill)
If you go to their wesite its the one that says "uptown"

There's also an Amerisuites near the airport. (about 4 miles from the fair grounds).

http://www.amerisuites.com/hotels/ajaq.shtml

Nomilynn
07-11-2003, 07:26 PM
What is the closest Choice Hotel to where this meeting will be taking place? (Choice Hotels are Clarion, Quality, Comfort, Sleep, Mainstay, Econolodge, Rodeway). My parents manage a Comfort Inn, so if we were to come, we would stay in a choice hotel because we can get an employee rate.

babolaypo65
07-11-2003, 07:43 PM
Choice hotels
http://www4.choicehotels.com/ires/en-US/html/Search

this one: Comfort Suites
900 Louisiana Blvd., N.E.

is very close to the fair grounds, and about 1/2 mile from the restaurant. Safe area. (between the fair and where the amerisuites and the restaurant are. all on Lousiana blvd.

these three are right near the airport, safe area:

Quality Suites
1501 Gibson Blvd

(NM424)
Sleep Inn Airport
2300 International Ave SE

(NM030)
Comfort Inn Airport
2300 Yale Blvd., S.E.

zippy-kat
07-11-2003, 07:44 PM
I think there's one of those actually *IN* the mall parking lot... but I can't remember if it's the Winrock or Coronado. I'm thinkin' Winrock...

I'll dig up my map and look.

ALSO:
The show itinerary has not been posted yet. I guess they'll post it sometime closer to Oct.

babolaypo65
07-11-2003, 07:45 PM
Winrock inn. Its being remodled right now.....(its a best western)

http://www.winrockinn.com/

zippy-kat
07-11-2003, 11:19 PM
You guys know what I just thought of? That same week will mark the one year anniversary of Sophie's passing. :(

How honored I will be to spend that weekend surrounded by the friends --no you guys are more like family-- that comforted me. :)

aly
07-12-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by lbaker
But Aly, won't little LollyPup get upset that ReeceMan will be getting all the attention :confused:
Laurie

Its also easier to take Reece because I can always scoop him up and carry him around if need be. Lolly will be harder to manuever. But if others are bringing pets, then I'll see about bringing Lolly pops too. I just don't want to become a burden or slow anyone down :)

aly
07-12-2003, 12:20 AM
You guys know what I just thought of? That same week will mark the one year anniversary of Sophie's passing. :(

How honored I will be to spend that weekend surrounded by the friends --no you guys are more like family-- that comforted me. :)

Awww Tonay, I'm sorry. I'll bring Reecie to help lick your tears away. I'm glad we'll be able to be there for you. I know at that time last year, I felt pretty helpless and really wished I could be there to help you.

zippy-kat
07-12-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by aly
Its also easier to take Reece because I can always scoop him up and carry him around if need be. Lolly will be harder to manuever. But if others are bringing pets, then I'll see about bringing Lolly pops too. I just don't want to become a burden or slow anyone down :)

As of right now, I am for sure bringing K'Cee. I think she will be the easiest to transport -- how the heck would I explain why I'm carting in a 2 story cage, a box of hay, a bag of cilantro, and a thesarus? lol (For those that don't know, Piper has a fling with my thesarus!)

I am worried about house-keeping coming in even if I tell them not too and thus, K'Cee dashing out the door and down the hall. :( I might bring Sophie's old cage (the big dog crate) and a few blankets; I could "lock her up" while we're away from the hotel. But that seems mean, doesn't it? On second thought, maybe I won't bring either of them. :( I so wanted you guys to meet her!!

Uh-oh, I just remembered... Karen, you're allergic to kitties aren't you?

aly
07-12-2003, 12:48 AM
Hmmmm, Tonya. Good points. I would LOOOOOOOOVE to bring Skylar actually. But I'm worried to for the same reasons you're worried about K'Cee.

I'll put my thinking cap on!

Nomilynn
07-12-2003, 01:28 AM
You could always keep the kitties in the hotel bathroom :) That way, even if the housekeeper came in, there would still be one more door.

Although, if you leave the "DO NOT DISTURB" sign out, they are usually really good about not coming it.. it DOES mean one less room to clean, after all ;)

07-12-2003, 08:05 AM
I'm all over this meeting - got my room booked at the Amerisuites, and I'll be booking my train tickets when I get back from the other PT meeting!

Hmmm......it's all starting with "A"......Amerisuites, Amtrak, Albuquerque, ACGAS......I just need a rental car from Alamo now! :p

I'll be leaving the little Samster at home this time though - he'd be too much of a handful, and I don't think Amtrak allows pets, though I'd have to check their website.

babolaypo65
07-12-2003, 10:03 AM
Much too early to remind of this, but I will anyway. October mornings are chilllly, even in abq (30s-40s in the morning, 50-60 afternoon). Santa fe (if anyone plans to head there for a day) usually has at least one snow fall by Halloween, so plan your wardrobe for fall! (People always forget that about northern New Mexico).

babolaypo65
07-13-2003, 04:13 PM
On my way to get the first Harry Potter book (yay, finally gonna read this on the way to Spain), I drove down Lousiana Blvd. Drove past the fair grounds, then past the "Choice hotel" which is about a block from the edge of the fair grounds, then down to the Macaroni Grill/Winrock Inn/ Amerisuites. This is all pretty do-able. Amerisuites is a big block (a vacant lot) away from winrock mall/macaroni grill/winrock inn. All pretty close to eachother. There's a Bennigans and a Steak and Ale across the street. A coffee shop in the borders books.... A starbucks across from the Amerisuites.... All in all a pretty good area for things. The Choice hotel is the furthest from all the fun stuff (cept the fair), but still in walking distance. fwiw

zippy-kat
07-13-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by babolaypo65
.... A starbucks across from the Amerisuites....

ohhhh my weakness! I'm a BIG starbucks junkie!!!
You guys can borrow my vehicle-- just drop me off at opening and pick me up at closing... and don't wreck my car! ;)

aly
07-13-2003, 04:46 PM
Much too early to remind of this, but I will anyway. October mornings are chilllly, even in abq (30s-40s in the morning, 50-60 afternoon). Santa fe (if anyone plans to head there for a day) usually has at least one snow fall by Halloween, so plan your wardrobe for fall! (People always forget that about northern New Mexico).

At least we won't have to get in shape for bikini weather :D :D

Shari - SO glad you're coming for sure!

zippy-kat
08-27-2003, 12:43 PM
Have you guys booked your hotels, yet? Where ya stayin' at?

I'll look for the show itinary (sp?) & see if it's posted ...

Desert Arabian
08-27-2003, 01:06 PM
I am so excited to see the Arabians- the most gorgeous horse in the world. I would LOVE to own one in the future, along with a good old Quarter Horse. :D :D :D

We got our train tickets in the mail a while back- so we are going for sure!

lbaker
08-27-2003, 01:18 PM
YaaaaHooooo! Gini & I were wondering where this thread was and what, if anything, was still happening. I'll get back to you all later when I get more definate info. This is SO :cool:

aly
08-27-2003, 01:34 PM
I haven't booked my hotel yet. Did we decide on the 24th-26th instead of the 17th-19th for sure? I have a test on the 17th so the weekend of the 24th would be better for me. I could still make it the 17th, but I wouldn't get in until later.

lbaker
08-27-2003, 02:03 PM
AmeriSuites is TOTALLY booked for the weekend of the 24/25th :mad: Now what? Drat, drat, double drat :( I'll check LaQuinta or a Choice or something. Where is anybody else staying??

Just checked Comfort Suites Uptown, sounds great, rooms available. Special deal for $62.95 per night. LaQuinta by the airport has rooms for $67.49. Comfort is closer to fair grounds and all rooms are suites. Really sounds good. Liable to be a very busy, booked weekend so probably a good idea not to wait too long.
Laurie

babolaypo65
08-27-2003, 06:28 PM
Ohh, thats too bad about Amerisuites. Let me know if you need other options, or need to know where things are located....

CamCamPup33
08-27-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Karen
So who's going? You know I'd love to make every Pet Talk gathering, but do have a job, and can't be everywhere at once! But I've never been to NM ...

have you been to florida?!?!? well i think you should try it if you havent! there is a pettalk meeting here in fla!! lol come!! :D

zippy-kat
08-27-2003, 07:24 PM
Show schedule still isn't posted... not sure if they will be posting one this year or if they're just late with it.

Rumor has it that Patrick uhh... the guy from dirty dancing *mind went blank* .... will be there. (He has Egyptian arabs in the show.)

babolaypo65
08-27-2003, 07:28 PM
Swayze? yum!

lbaker
08-28-2003, 06:56 AM
double yum:D

Karen
08-28-2003, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by CamCamPup33
have you been to florida?!?!? well i think you should try it if you havent! there is a pettalk meeting here in fla!! lol come!! :D

I have been to Florida - a couple times, actually, both before Pet Talk existed. And I have a cousin in Miami who is in a wheelchair and would love me to visit, and an aunt and uncle up in Pinelas County ...

aly
08-28-2003, 12:58 PM
I'll bring my Dirty Dancing CD! If we see Patrick, I'm gonna play I've Had the Time of my Life and make him sing it to me! Muahahaa!

lbaker
08-28-2003, 01:56 PM
If we all wear PetTalker t-shirts and/or hats and start singing to HIM we're liable to scare the poor lad half to death :D He'll think we're a cult :eek:

CamCamPup33
08-28-2003, 05:34 PM
I have been to Florida - a couple times, actually, both before Pet Talk existed. And I have a cousin in Miami who is in a wheelchair and would love me to visit, and an aunt and uncle up in Pinelas County ...

Go see her in august!! And then on the way in october ;) stop on by the meeting!! :D

CamCamPup33
08-28-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by CamCamPup33
Go see her!!! And then on the way in october ;) stop on by the meeting!! :D

Kfamr
08-28-2003, 05:38 PM
Karen - Where in Pinellas? I'm in Pinellas County. :) Pinellas is also where the meeting is going to be held. :)

zippy-kat
08-28-2003, 08:04 PM
Swayze? yum!

Yep! That's him!:)

That Newton guy also has arabs but I don't know if he shows them.

lbaker
08-29-2003, 07:01 AM
Newton guy :confused: who? Fig? :rolleyes:

babolaypo65
08-29-2003, 08:08 AM
I was thinking "sir Isaac"? Zip what newton guy?

lbaker
08-29-2003, 08:14 AM
didn't want to say it but she probably means WAYNE :rolleyes:

babolaypo65
08-29-2003, 08:18 AM
ohhhhhh!!!! :eek:

(Is he still alive?)

Karen
08-29-2003, 08:55 AM
Paul's from Newton, so he's a "Newton guy" - but he owns no Arabian horses! ;)

babolaypo65
08-29-2003, 09:13 AM
But, does he sing and dance in Vegas?

Paul's from Newton, so he's a "Newton guy" - but he owns no Arabian horses! ;)

zippy-kat
08-29-2003, 10:43 AM
Yes, the Vegas guy. Did I get his name wrong? :o

lbaker
08-29-2003, 11:10 AM
from the Wayne Newton Web site...............

Wayne became extremely popular in Las Vegas. He even has a street named after him. He acquired the Aladdin Casino along with his large ranch. He lived a very good life style. Then in 1992 he had to declare bankruptcy.

Wayne continues as one of the most popular headliners there is. Still performing in Las Vegas.

babolaypo65
08-29-2003, 11:30 AM
How fun. You got his name right, I just couldn't remember him!

Yes, the Vegas guy. Did I get his name wrong? :o

zippy-kat
08-29-2003, 11:52 AM
Babolaypoo.... We *may* be closer together sooner than expected. After yesterday, I'm ready to call it quits on Texas Tech and just go back to NMSU for my masters. That'd be 1.5hr drive to meet half way.... but *big grin* what's half way?

Meet you at the tumbleweed by the yucca, at noonish tomorrow? lol

babolaypo65
08-29-2003, 12:15 PM
Cool. But the tumbleweed moved! How about the dead lizard near the thing, by that place?

Actually, wouldn't something like the Owl bar and grill be half way for reals?

babolaypo65
08-31-2003, 04:58 PM
I just drove by the amerisuites and yeah, they built a homewood suites next door. looks nice!

http://www.homewood-suites.com/en/hw/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=5BDWNDEMAKW3KCSGBIW222QKIYF CVUUC?ctyhocn=ABQHWHW

aly
08-31-2003, 05:04 PM
I really need to get my bottom in gear and book a hotel room or I'll be sleeping under a bridge :p

babolaypo65
08-31-2003, 05:11 PM
I dont have a url for the bridge. Sorry ;)

zippy-kat
08-31-2003, 08:37 PM
Hey aly, lemme know which one you'll be staying at.

aly
08-31-2003, 08:43 PM
Laurie sent me a pm of a hotel nearby that looked good but now I can't find where I put the info! The Amerisuites is booked already. Laurie - can you post the hotel that you found again because I'm a doofus?

Tonya - is your mom coming?

zippy-kat
08-31-2003, 08:54 PM
I'm not 100% sure yet---first she was, then she wasn't, then she was....

She's out of town right now or I'd ask again.

babolaypo65
08-31-2003, 08:59 PM
Isn't there a post about three pages back about some La Quintas??

aly
09-01-2003, 05:02 PM
For all of you who are flying/riding trains in, what time and day will you be arriving? After talking to Tonya last night, I guess its a safe bet both of us will be in late Friday, but maybe earlier in the day if we both can swing it!

zippy-kat
09-01-2003, 05:25 PM
Actually, wouldn't something like the Owl bar and grill be half way for reals?

I didn't see this before now...
I have no clue! Not sure where that's at! :)

wolf_Q
09-01-2003, 06:25 PM
Sorry, too lazy to go back and read the thread.......:o

Some questions...

Who all is officially and unnoficially going?
Is there something planned for both Saturday and Sunday?
Can we bring dogs to the event?

I'm working on convincing my mom...we'd have to rent a car, drive down Friday night...be there Sat and Sunday and drive home Sunday night or Monday morning. I'd really like to bring Nebo if possible.

This is the service I used before to book hotels...it's great.....check out all the pet-friendly motels in Albuquerque!
http://www.1clickpethotels.com/newmexico.htm

aly
09-01-2003, 06:34 PM
Yes Amy, dogs are allowed there. I will probably bring Reece. I'd definately bring him if someone else was also bringing a dog.

I think the definites so far are : babolaypo65, lbaker, ACGAS, YLL, Tonya, and myself.

And are Karen and Paul a maybe? And micki, Gini and Naomi might be maybes too? Oh and maybe Tonya's mom!

wolf_Q
09-01-2003, 06:38 PM
Sweet! :D Well I'll be working extra-hard on convincing my mom....if it's a yes, it will be me, her, and most likely Melissa. And the brat dog Nebo.

I could fly, but I won't fly with a dog...and driving is much more amusing...

Aly, if I bring Nebo, you are soooooooo bringing the Reece man! ;)

Hey what about Parnone? I wanna see Oz!!

aly
09-01-2003, 07:03 PM

Aly, if I bring Nebo, you are soooooooo bringing the Reece man! ;)

Definately!!!!!!!!! :D

Oh please oh please come!!!!!!!!! How long is the drive for you? 15 hours? Thats nothing compared to your Ohio drive, hehe :)

babolaypo65
09-01-2003, 07:39 PM
http://www.benoconnor.com/diners8.cfm
its about 10-20 miles south of socorro in the middle of no where. GREAT green chile cheeseburgers. reputed to be the best in the world!

I didn't see this before now...
I have no clue! Not sure where that's at! :)

wolf_Q
09-01-2003, 08:55 PM
Had a chat with my mother tonight. It's not a "no" but it's not a "yes" either.... I also decided to spring it on my brother and wife. Britney seems really interested in it. She says she's gonna work on Brendon for me. :D Brendom seemed like he wanted to go until he found out it was the last weekend of the deer hunt....:rolleyes:

Well, I'm working on it!

Nomilynn
09-01-2003, 11:06 PM
I'm still working on my parents.. sigh.. they take FOREVER to make a decision!!!! :)

zippy-kat
09-01-2003, 11:12 PM
:D I'm getting really excited, you guys!

Karen
09-01-2003, 11:14 PM
We just got back from the Ohio gathering ... and we are planning on coming to NM! :) What hotels are people staying at? Aly, let me know what you find for available hotels - or what bridge we'll be sleepin' under! ;)

wolf_Q
09-01-2003, 11:22 PM
Karen, here's a list of pet friendly hotels in the area. I think some are bringing pets so would probably have to stay in one of these. I've booked with them before and it worked out perfect. :)

http://www.1clickpethotels.com/newmexico.htm

Crikit
09-01-2003, 11:42 PM
ARGH!!!!!! So not liking the lack of funds that is currently attacking my bank account. I so want to go to...stupid Candian dollar, stupid Chapters for paying so little...stupid me for forgetting to save.

wolf_Q
09-01-2003, 11:59 PM
Tracy! COME!!!! Please!! :D

zippy-kat
09-02-2003, 12:25 AM
Yes, Tracy!! You need to come!

Heard anything from Kohala? UABassoon? OH! What about CougieWechsler? Maybe she'd know of a cat show or something going on....

lbaker
09-02-2003, 07:25 AM
Comfort Suites Uptown Albuquerque NM. 2 room suites with lots of extras, very reasonable. Walking distance to fair grounds. Don't have the phone number but did a search for "comfort suites uptown albuquerque nm" and it came right up. Back atcha soon Aly, too much work waiting this a.m.

Laurie

wolf_Q
09-02-2003, 07:29 AM
Would it be this one?

http://www.usahotelguide.com/nexres/hotels/prop_page.cgi?hotels_id=10196798&view=BROCHURE&se52822&src=10003823

wolf_Q
09-02-2003, 07:33 AM
Approx. where is the grounds located? Is it in the middle of town or more on a certain side of town? Anyone know the address? What other places are near the grounds (shops, restaurants, etc.) ?

(that enough questions for one post? :p )

lbaker
09-02-2003, 07:43 AM
I just called them. (they are on Louisana Blvd) Too late, all booked for that weekend :mad: I should have booked last week. Now have to start all over again :(
Laurie

aly
09-02-2003, 07:52 AM
Here is a hotel list from their website. Maybe we can get into one of these?

http://www.arabianhorses.org/competitions/nationalevents/usnationals/hotels.asp

babolaypo65
09-02-2003, 08:10 AM
the fair grounds are a big block. Lousiana on the east, San Pedro on the west Central on the south (DO NOT stay there), and Lomas on the North.
uptown is probably what hotels would say. Central is "Zero" ie north of central (on the north south streets like Louisiana) is 100+north east and south of central is 100+ southeast. I wouldnt suggest 100-1000 southeast of central near the fair.
(that wasn't very clear I know). I'll try to post a map!
The Winrock inn (best Western) looks like its remodel is done and it looks nice (and open). Its in the same parking lot with zip's Macaroni Grill. Are they full?

Approx. where is the grounds located? Is it in the middle of town or more on a certain side of town? Anyone know the address? What other places are near the grounds (shops, restaurants, etc.) ?

(that enough questions for one post? :p )

babolaypo65
09-02-2003, 08:16 AM
here's a link to a map of the fair grounds, and a gif of it.
I'd suggest staying north of the fair, on Lousiana if you can do it.

http://www.nmstatefair.com/general-information/directions_and_maps.html

zippy-kat
09-02-2003, 09:42 AM
Aly? Laurie? Amy? Anybody?
Looks like they have rooms open....

B E S T W E S T E R N
Winrock Inn
18 Winrock Center
Albuquerque, New Mexico
United States, 87110
505-883-5252 Fax: 505-889-3206

lbaker
09-02-2003, 09:45 AM
The new Winrock Inn sounds great but seems awfully expensive for my purse ($120 night avg). I checked out some of the others in Babolaypo65's pet friendly link - page 9 of this thread I think - and they sound more affordable (about $62 night). Only problem is not really knowing the area and really wanted to find something close enough so I wouldn't have to rent a car to get everywhere. What to do, what to do :confused: Hey locals, what's the public transportation like? I'm quite comfortable taking buses etc.

L

zippy-kat
09-02-2003, 09:49 AM
I saw that (price) too, Laurie. :( Plus an additional pet fee!! :eek:

If you need anything, I can tote ya where ya need to go! No problem! Zippy's Taxi, at your service!;)

babolaypo65
09-02-2003, 09:55 AM
If everything north of the fair is booked, or too steep, all the hotels near the airport (Yale SE, University SE) are clean, safe... There's a La Quinta, a Comfort, a Red Roof....

Which one's from the petfriendly link are you looking at? I can tell you where they are...

oh, public transportation STINKS. The schedule is reeeeeallly light on weekends, and nights are almost non-existent.

MAN! why is the Winrock Inn soo steep!?

zippy-kat
09-02-2003, 10:01 AM
Hey
Babo... I'm posting some links, maybe you can weed through them and tell us which is good, which is bad location wise.

Days Inn East Albuquerque - 13317 Central Avenue NE (http://www.usahotelguide.com/nexres/reservations/availability.cgi?hotels_id=10199920&src=10003823&se15992&freq_gust_number=&bed_type=NP&doa_dd=24&doa_yy=&corp_acct_number=&currency_id=&num_beds=&num_adults=2&smoking_pref=NP&num_rooms=1&dod_mm=10&dod_dd=26&doa_mm=10&dod_yy=)

Comfort Inn & Suites North - 5811 Signal Ave. N.e. (http://www.usahotelguide.com/nexres/reservations/availability.cgi?hotels_id=10196798&src=10003823&se64558&freq_gust_number=&bed_type=NP&doa_dd=24&doa_yy=&corp_acct_number=&currency_id=&num_beds=&num_adults=2&smoking_pref=NP&num_rooms=1&dod_mm=10&dod_dd=26&doa_mm=10&dod_yy=)

Holiday Inn Albuquerque Mtn View I-40 & I - 2020 Menaul NE (http://www.usahotelguide.com/nexres/reservations/availability.cgi?hotels_id=10223861&src=10003823&se14393&freq_gust_number=&bed_type=NP&doa_dd=24&doa_yy=&corp_acct_number=&currency_id=&num_beds=&num_adults=2&smoking_pref=NP&num_rooms=1&dod_mm=10&dod_dd=26&doa_mm=10&dod_yy=)

Howard Johnson Express Inn Albuquerque - 7640 Central S.e (http://www.usahotelguide.com/nexres/reservations/availability.cgi?hotels_id=10203198&src=10003823&se97657&freq_gust_number=&bed_type=NP&doa_dd=24&doa_yy=&corp_acct_number=&currency_id=&num_beds=&num_adults=2&smoking_pref=NP&num_rooms=1&dod_mm=10&dod_dd=26&doa_mm=10&dod_yy=)

**I think I've stayed at this one before though I don't really 'member. Seems like there's an Olive Garden a couple streets down and a Waffle-House.
Super 8 Motel Albuquerque East - 450 Paisano Street (http://www.usahotelguide.com/nexres/reservations/availability.cgi?hotels_id=10211441&src=10003823&se33531&freq_gust_number=&bed_type=NP&doa_dd=24&doa_yy=&corp_acct_number=&currency_id=&num_beds=&num_adults=2&smoking_pref=NP&num_rooms=1&dod_mm=10&dod_dd=26&doa_mm=10&dod_yy=)

It looks like, as we move further away from the fairgrounds, there is more availability (cheaper prices too).

I'll check more this afternoon--I've got to get busy. School starts tonight! Eek!

zippy-kat
09-02-2003, 10:03 AM

MAN! why is the Winrock Inn soo steep!?

Yeah! That surprised me!

babolaypo65
09-02-2003, 10:15 AM
OKAY, My answers in CAPS

Hey
Babo... I'm posting some links, maybe you can weed through them and tell us which is good, which is bad location wise.

Days Inn East Albuquerque - 13317 Central Avenue NE (http://www.usahotelguide.com/nexres/reservations/availability.cgi?hotels_id=10199920&src=10003823&se15992&freq_gust_number=&bed_type=NP&doa_dd=24&doa_yy=&corp_acct_number=&currency_id=&num_beds=&num_adults=2&smoking_pref=NP&num_rooms=1&dod_mm=10&dod_dd=26&doa_mm=10&dod_yy=)

THIS IS WAAAY UP CENTRAL NEAR THE MOUNTAIN, SAFE, BUT NOT REALLY NEAR ANYTHING.

Comfort Inn & Suites North - 5811 Signal Ave. N.e. (http://www.usahotelguide.com/nexres/reservations/availability.cgi?hotels_id=10196798&src=10003823&se64558&freq_gust_number=&bed_type=NP&doa_dd=24&doa_yy=&corp_acct_number=&currency_id=&num_beds=&num_adults=2&smoking_pref=NP&num_rooms=1&dod_mm=10&dod_dd=26&doa_mm=10&dod_yy=)

NOT SURE ON THIS ONE

Holiday Inn Albuquerque Mtn View I-40 & I - 2020 Menaul NE (http://www.usahotelguide.com/nexres/reservations/availability.cgi?hotels_id=10223861&src=10003823&se14393&freq_gust_number=&bed_type=NP&doa_dd=24&doa_yy=&corp_acct_number=&currency_id=&num_beds=&num_adults=2&smoking_pref=NP&num_rooms=1&dod_mm=10&dod_dd=26&doa_mm=10&dod_yy=)

THIS WOULDNT BE FAR, ABOUT FOUR MILES, I'VE STAYED THERE. THERES A MOTEL SIX AROUND THE CORNER TOO, ON UNIVERSITY

Howard Johnson Express Inn Albuquerque - 7640 Central S.e (http://www.usahotelguide.com/nexres/reservations/availability.cgi?hotels_id=10203198&src=10003823&se97657&freq_gust_number=&bed_type=NP&doa_dd=24&doa_yy=&corp_acct_number=&currency_id=&num_beds=&num_adults=2&smoking_pref=NP&num_rooms=1&dod_mm=10&dod_dd=26&doa_mm=10&dod_yy=)

THIS IS RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE FAIR. ITS AN IFFY LOCATION. WOULDNT STAY THERE IF YOU WANTED QUIET, NOR IF YOU HAD A CAR.... (its pretty well in the center of the red light district, think "COPS Filmed in albuquerque!)

**I think I've stayed at this one before though I don't really 'member. Seems like there's an Olive Garden a couple streets down and a Waffle-House.
Super 8 Motel Albuquerque East - 450 Paisano Street (http://www.usahotelguide.com/nexres/reservations/availability.cgi?hotels_id=10211441&src=10003823&se33531&freq_gust_number=&bed_type=NP&doa_dd=24&doa_yy=&corp_acct_number=&currency_id=&num_beds=&num_adults=2&smoking_pref=NP&num_rooms=1&dod_mm=10&dod_dd=26&doa_mm=10&dod_yy=)

THIS WOULD BE OKAY. NOT TOO FAR, NEAR SOME STUFF....

It looks like, as we move further away from the fairgrounds, there is more availability (cheaper prices too).

ILL POST SOME NEAR THE AIRPORT AFTER I TEACH. MORE LATER!

I'll check more this afternoon--I've got to get busy. School starts tonight! Eek!

ParNone
09-02-2003, 10:35 AM
wolfq writes:

Hey what about Parnone? I wanna see Oz!!
I'd sure love to meet Nebo and Reece too. I've no doubt Oz
would love playing with Nebo. Might be a lil' too rambunctious for
Reece though.:) But not going to be possible right now. I found
out this weekend that my mom's having some health issues, so
she's going to come stay with me for 6 weeks. So I'm going
to be home bound for a few.

Sure hope to meet some pettalk doggies at some point though.

Par...

Uabassoon
09-02-2003, 10:43 AM
I'm still thinking about it, I'm a little worried about making an 8 hour drive all by myself. Is there anyone on the way from Tucson to Albequer.... (I give up on trying to spell it) that maybe I could pick up so I wouldn't be alone?

Uabassoon
09-02-2003, 10:52 AM
One more question.. anyone willing to possibly share a hotel with me?

babolaypo65
09-02-2003, 12:01 PM
Here's info about a few more from the dog friendly link
La Quinta Inn Airport
2116 Yale Blvd. SE
505-243-5500

Budgetel Inn
1511 Gibson Blvd. SE
505-242-1555

Comfort Inn-Airport
2300 Yale Blvd. SE
505-243-2244

THESE THREE ARE AIRPORT ONES- SAFE AREA, NOT TOO FAR.

La Quinta Inn San Mateo
2424 San Mateo Blvd. NE
505-884-3591

THIS IS REALLY PRETTY CLOSE SAN MATEO IS ON BIG BLOCK WEST OF SAN PEDRO, AND ITS ABOUT AS FAR NORTH AS THE AMBERLY SUITES

http://www.abqdog.com/lodging.shtml

THEREÕS ALSO A FEW ON HOTEL CIRCLE. THATÕS UP NEAR THAT OLIVE GARDEN AND THE HOTEL NEAR THAT. SAFE.

babolaypo65
09-02-2003, 12:03 PM
one last thing. the DIRT (no grass) leash-less dog park is between the hotels on Louisiana and the fair grounds. its fenced, and doesn't have too many doggie gangs. ;)

aly
09-02-2003, 12:26 PM
I'm all for whatever hotel you guys pick as long as they let my Reecie in and don't charge too high of a pet fee :)

It would be nice if most of us could get into the same hotel. Did ACGAS/YLL book their hotel yet? Did I already ask that? Am I going crazy?

Par - micki and I are still wanting to do that Dallas dog park meeting .. maybe in early November or something?? It would be great if you could go to that one!!! Reece is used to playing rough with big dogs, and he especially loves boys, so it would be funny to see him and Oz play!!

zippy-kat
09-02-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by aly
It would be nice if most of us could get into the same hotel. Did ACGAS/YLL book their hotel yet? Did I already ask that? Am I going crazy?

They are staying at the Amerisuites.

ParNone
09-02-2003, 02:45 PM
aly writes:

Par - micki and I are still wanting to do that Dallas dog park meeting .. maybe in early November or something?? It would be great if you could go to that one!!! Reece is used to playing rough with big dogs, and he especially loves boys, so it would be funny to see him and Oz play!!
hi aly! November would definitely be more doable for me and
since it's only to Dallas, I could drive up and back in the same
day, if I needed to. Since both you and Micki have small dogs,
wasn't sure how'd that work with me bringing Oz. If they're
going to have to be in different sections of the dog park?
I'd bring Murph instead, but I just know he'll be aggressive
and I think a dog park would be a lil' too scary for Maddie.
Oz is definitely more reliable around other dogs. I normally
keep him on leash around smaller dogs I don't know though.
Maddie and Murph and Idj, all being terriers, do a real good
job of keeping him under control if he gets too rambunctious.
Quick lil' growl or snap from'em and he runs for cover.

Par...

Crikit
09-02-2003, 09:44 PM
Tracy! COME!!!! Please!! :D

You know I would in a minute if I could Amy, it's just not financially doable. There is no way I could afford a plane ticket, the price of one would roughly be about one and a half pay checks for me...and yes that's with using expedia(and that's not including hotel, food and spending money). And there is no way I would be able to drive there, my parents would blow a gasket, plus I don't think I be all the confident going on a road trip of that magnatude by myself. Not to mention we could still be working on my aunts house then :rolleyes:

Everyone will just have to take loads of pictures so I can live vigarously through that.

Kfamr
09-02-2003, 09:46 PM
This is no fair.

wolf_Q
09-03-2003, 12:03 AM
Well my brother and mom are both being crabby with me now.....so don't count on me coming. :(

aly
09-03-2003, 01:40 PM
Well my brother and mom are both being crabby with me now.....so don't count on me coming. :(

:( KISS UP TO THEM!

zippy-kat
09-03-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by aly
:( KISS UP TO THEM!

'zactly!! :(

Has anyone (besides ACGAS) booked their hotel? If so, where are you staying at?

Uabassoon
09-03-2003, 02:02 PM
After lots of thinking I've decided that I won't be going to NM. I have my Senior recital this year and that's going to cost me a lot of money, my parents have offered to help me pay for some of it but I still need to save up quite a bit. :(

zippy-kat
09-03-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
After lots of thinking I've decided that I won't be going to NM. I have my Senior recital this year and that's going to cost me a lot of money, my parents have offered to help me pay for some of it but I still need to save up quite a bit. :(

:( I'm sorry to hear you won't be there but glad to hear it's your senior year! How fun! What's next? Grad school?

If you'd like, PM/Email me your address and I'll make sure you get a postcard and/or souvinear. (sp?) :)

Uabassoon
09-03-2003, 02:14 PM
I haven't decided yet if I want to go to grad school, right now I really think I need some time off. This year is going to be stressful, especially with the recital. I have a commite of 5 professors and if 3 of them don't like my recital I dont graduate :( .

babolaypo65
09-03-2003, 04:49 PM
ahhh darn! uabassoon! I was looking forward to meeting ya, but yeah, I understand.....:(

Nomilynn
09-03-2003, 04:57 PM
Still no real news from me. I know I can get the time off work, so that's something, but I still have a bit of convincing to do. Also, my health insurance just expired and so in order for me to travel, I have to get a new policy (which is also in the works). If it isn't one thing, it's another, isn't it!!!! :rolleyes: :eek: :D

But I'm still trying REALLY hard to be able to go! ;)

zippy-kat
09-03-2003, 05:24 PM
:) Keep tryin' Nom!

"If it's not one thing it's another..." Tell me about it! I just got off the phone w/ school. They (finally) found and *processed* my paperwork -- but now there's another roadblock. :rolleyes:

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya!

Karen
09-03-2003, 05:49 PM
Looks like we won't be able to come either, so sorry, I was looking forward to it.

aly
09-04-2003, 01:30 AM
:( Shooot! I was looking forward to seeing you again Karen and Paul. Maybe next time!

Sorry Uabassoon that you also can't make it.

We'll pat some horsies for you all.

Karen
09-04-2003, 07:37 AM
Thanks Aly - can you sneak some apples to 'em for me? ;) There's nothin' as velvety as a horsie muzzle!

zippy-kat
09-04-2003, 07:43 PM
Ok guys I think these two are going to be our best bet:

Holiday Inn Mtn View
I-40 & I - 2020 Menaul NE
This one has available rooms and we can get a small (about $5) discount if we give a 21 day advance booking. Avgs to about $54.00 per night (before taxes and without pet fees*).

Super 8 Motel
East Albq
450 Paisano Street
I have stayed at this one and it's a nice place (or was--hopefully still is). The best rate I can get is $57.50 per night (before taxes and without pet fees*).

*According to the site Amy posted ( Click Here to See It (http://www.1clickpethotels.com/newmexico.htm) ), the Holiday Inn charges $25.00 per stay (doesn't say if it's per pet). The Super 8 charges $5.00 per day (doesn't say if it's per pet).

zippy-kat
09-08-2003, 12:06 AM
For those who have not made reservations...
I'll be calling both hotels to see if they will quote me a better price than what's listed online. I'll let ya know what I find out!

zippy-kat
09-08-2003, 10:49 AM
We'll be staying at the:

Super 8 Motel East Albq
450 Paisano Street
Albuquerque, NM 87123 US
505-271-4807

I told them we would be traveling with just the dog b/c I'm not 100% sure about taking K'Cee yet. (FYI It's $5 per night per animal.)

FOR ANYONE ELSE BOOKING HERE:
Ask him to check the **coupon book** for the best price. (He quoted me 45.88 per night; that's for a non-smoking room w/ dbl beds. It's even cheaper if you have AAA.)

aly
09-08-2003, 01:16 PM
Thanks for doing the grunt work Zips ;)

I'm excited!

zippy-kat
09-08-2003, 01:40 PM
Can we do a headcount (again), please?

aly
09-08-2003, 01:48 PM
Do we have plans for Sunday?

What time do you wanna start heading back, Tonya?

zippy-kat
09-08-2003, 02:09 PM
Actually, I'm not sure we have *any* plans. lol Perhaps we should begin to form some. Do you guys want to mosey around the venders (there's tons!) and meet some of the horses the morning of the show then come back that night? Stick around all day?

re: Sunday
Anytime is good for me, Aly. If possible, I would like to stick around long enough to make sure those that need a ride to the airport have one.

Do you know if you'll be able to leave on Thursday? If you can, maybe I can arrange to leave Friday morning/afternoon.

aly
09-08-2003, 03:46 PM
I can leave on Thursday pretty easily. I was hoping to be back home by Sunday night but I'm going to see if I could miss school on Monday also. The idea of driving across the state at night by myself scares me, so I might just drive halfway on Sunday, then continue on home Monday morning.

If we get there earlier on Friday, we can snoop around the fairgrounds with whoever else is there, then maybe all eat dinner together? The only problem with that is I don't want to leave Reecie alone in the hotel room.

Amy - are you definately not coming?

If Amy's not coming, should I just leave Reece at home?

Laurie, what time are you getting in?

sammi
09-08-2003, 03:54 PM
When is this taking place??:D

wolf_Q
09-08-2003, 10:58 PM
Well I really can't figure out a way to go....I'm still working on it..

I think you should bring Reece anyway! :D

micki76
09-08-2003, 11:04 PM
Well I really can't figure out a way to go....I'm still working on it..

I think you should bring Reece anyway! :D

Me neither, Amy. :( :( :(

aly
09-09-2003, 12:07 AM
Sammi - the info on when and where is on the first page of this thread :)

Micki and Amy ... keep trying to find a way!!! It would be great if you both could make it.

babolaypo65
09-09-2003, 08:28 AM
If the weather is nice, and folks want, perhaps we should take a ride up the tram? its the worlds longest (or highest, i always forget which) and the views from the top of the mountain are amazing...

zippy-kat
09-09-2003, 10:18 AM
Sounds good to me!

09-10-2003, 12:44 AM
Wow, that tram sounds great - I love going to the top of mountains, just not on foot (I'd need oxygen within the first 15 minutes, LOL).

I love horsies and I know YLL will want to visit all the vendors and stuff, so hanging out at the horse show all day and night sounds fun too. We're pretty flexible and very easily entertained
:D .

We'll be coming in around 3 in the afternoon on Friday, and we have to be back at the train station by noon on Sunday. We have to return the rental car to the airport, and then go from the airport to the train station somehow, so Sunday will be shot for us. But Friday night and Saturday are wide open for possibilities.

I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!

Uabassoon
09-17-2003, 01:33 AM
I'm starting to rethink my desicion, so don't count me out yet.

babolaypo65
09-17-2003, 08:36 AM
We hope you can make it!

zippy-kat
09-18-2003, 02:10 AM
A List of Dog Parks (http://www.cabq.gov/animalservices/index.html#)

And it looks like the catshow will be held there again!
The Enchanted Cat Club Annual T.I.C.A. Cat Show, Saturday, October 25 from 9:30 – 5:00 and Sunday, October 26 from 9:00 – 4:00
NM State Fairgrounds (Expo New Mexico), School Arts Building
A.C.A.T. is pleased to announce that the Enchanted Cat Club once again has sponsored a space for us at the annual T.I.C.A. Cat Show. Visit A.C.A.T.’s booth to purchase terrific items from our gift table and see some of our foster cats up for adoption.

Uabassoon
09-18-2003, 03:12 AM
I just want to double check the dates for the meeting. It's the weekend of Oct 24-26 right?

babolaypo65
09-18-2003, 08:17 AM
Dog parks:
This one:

Tom Bolack Urban Forest Park
2000 Dakota St. NE
(off of San Pedro, East to Dakota)

is pretty close to the fair grounds, and is right of Lousiana. It's not pretty, but its the one I go to more. The triangle one has too many hierarchies and too many dogs, the Roosevelt one isn't fenced and is on COAL (one of the busiest streets in abq).

zippy-kat
09-18-2003, 11:08 AM
the Roosevelt one isn't fenced and is on COAL (one of the busiest streets in abq).

Now what kind of logic is that? A dog park with no fence. :rolleyes:

Yes, the dates are the 24-26: Friday, Sat., Sun.

zippy-kat
09-29-2003, 10:04 AM
~bump~

Everyone ready?!:D

lbaker
09-29-2003, 10:17 AM
waaaaaaah waaaaaah waaAAAAAHHHHH WAAAAAAAHHHHHH :( :( :( sorry, just had to get that out

aly
09-29-2003, 12:50 PM
Laurie, you're not coming???????????????????????? :(

lbaker
09-29-2003, 12:59 PM
Oh Aly I wanted to tell you but it was sooo hard to actually write down. My financial situation is quite dire right now... property tax bill came a few weeks ago and it has more than doubled since last year. Over $3,500, and my 1984 pickup truck is about to go the that big garage in the sky. I've been on a Ramen Noodle & Kool-Aid diet since getting the bill. I was so looking forward to morning walks with Reece and babysitting for him while you went out to play now & then. Gini & I were even considering sharing a room to save $$ but even that's out now. Will try for the BestFriends Meeting next year, that's all I can think of for now. I'm soooo sorry to miss this one. Do me a favor and get Reece & Lolly some treats & tell them they are from Auntie Laurie.

aly
09-29-2003, 03:39 PM
Oh Laurie, I'm so sorry :( I understand though :( You take care of yourself and I'm sure Reece, Lolly and I will see you again someday.

Boohoo :( What bad news.

Maybe we can take pictures and draw a stick figure in them and pretend its Laurie.

Uabassoon
09-29-2003, 05:27 PM
Heehee we can have Laurie send us a picture of herself then I can crop them into all the pictures from the NM meeting :D

aly
09-30-2003, 01:46 PM
Ok guys - I need your input.

If I take Reece with me, I'll be the only person there with an animal. I really don't want to slow the group down. If we were planning on going out to dinner or anything, I really wouldn't want to leave Reece at the hotel alone.

If we're spending most of our time at the horse show, then I could probably bring him without bugging you guys too much. But if we're going out to the cat show or other places, then I might just leave him at home so I won't limit myself.

I could just exclude myself from the activities that don't allow dogs. But I wouldn't want anyone mad at me for doing that!

I'm in a pickle! Help! Should I bring him or not? I really won't be offended, so give your honest opinions!

lbaker
09-30-2003, 01:58 PM
DRAT! If I could just cross my arms and blink myself there all your worries would disapear. Reece & I could play games and stuff and I could read some of his favorite stories out loud to him while you & the gang do your thing..... Every time I see his little face at the end of your postings he makes me smile and I want to kiss his nose :D

zippy-kat
09-30-2003, 02:07 PM
Honestly?

Well, I feel horrible for saying this, but I think I'd leave him home. :(

Reason number one is that I can't find confirmation on doggies being permitted. I *KNOW* they were on the grounds last time --so they MUST be-- but like I said, they are not allowed inside the show arena. And the "big" show is after dark... I wouldn't feel 'right' with leaving you guys at the hotel and I def. wouldn't feel safe leaving you guys outside the show-building after dark...even if it is well lit and with security. :(

Another thought to consider, has Reece man ever met a horse? Will he be spooked by them?

On the other hand...
I would LOVE to meet Reece and he'll most certainly be welcome if you bring him...please don't think otherwise! We can accomodate him/you!!

aly
09-30-2003, 02:08 PM
Lauuuuuuuuuurie :( You're making me cry :(

Reece sends his love.

zippy-kat
09-30-2003, 02:14 PM
A couple of general comments that I just remembered:

There is a charge to get onto the fair grounds...it's $4-5 per car...if we load up, we can save money! lol

You'll have to purchase tickets to see the shows. I can't remember how much they are... I think an all day pass was approx. $15.00. I'm trying to find out the info/itinerary but no luck so far.

There is not a charge to get into the vendor booths/tents.

The cat show is held on the same grounds, just a separate building and again, there's a charge (I think it was $3.00).

I'm looking forward to this! :D

aly
09-30-2003, 02:30 PM

Another thought to consider, has Reece man ever met a horse? Will he be spooked by them?

He's not spooked by anything really. He just likes to hang out with people and be held and pet. He's one of the most easy-going beings I've ever seen. He could probably sleep through a tornado :rolleyes:

I think for the other reason you mentioned, I may not bring him. If I can find something documented that he'd be allowed everywhere, I'll bring him.

I was REALLY wanting you guys to meet my boy :( But .. I have to do what's best for him and I can't leave him in a hotel room or anywhere else that I'm uncertain of.

Maybe it will work out. If not, he'll go get spoiled by "grandma" (She hates it when I call her that :p )

aly
10-07-2003, 09:47 AM
Hi Tonya,

I didn't want to PM or email or message you on AIM because I don't want to bother you right now. I hope you are doing okay :( I just wanted to tell you that my parents are freaking out about me driving so long. The trip to Albq would be 13 hours. It wouldn't be a problem except on Sunday when I'm driving back trying to get home in the dark. So they said they'd buy me a plane ticket. I wanted to check with you and see if you're okay driving to Albq alone since we were supposed to drive together. Or I could fly to Hobbs, but I didn't see an airport there.

Let me know what you think. I feel AWFUL changing plans like this, but my parents are flipping out on me and my mom thinks something bad will happen to me if I drive all that way alone.

10-09-2003, 09:00 PM
Well, in light of everything that's happened to poor Zippy-Kat lately, I hope she can still make the meeting in Albuquerque - I'm really looking forward to meeting her in person! (Even though I feel like I know her pretty well already :) )

The Arabian Horse Association website has posted a tentative schedule for the U.S. Nationals here:US Nationals Tentative Schedule (PDF) (http://www.arabianhorses.org/competitions/nationalevents/usnationals/2003_USN_class_tentative_schedule%20.pdf)

Only 2 more weeks! :D Can't wait to see all of you then!

aly
10-09-2003, 09:05 PM
What time are you guys getting in Shari? I know you told me 100 times before, but I forgot.

10-09-2003, 09:10 PM
Our train gets in at 4:08 PM, but then we have to call to have our rental car sent over - don't know how long that will take; the car is coming from the airport I guess.

Hey, check this out - at the cat show, they will be having the first trial runs of the new Cat Agility Tournament! Here's the flyer that explains it: Cat Agility Tournament (PDF) (http://www.catagility.org/fliers/oct2003.pdf)

aly
10-09-2003, 09:25 PM
Awesome... that should be interesting!

lbaker
10-10-2003, 07:02 AM
cat agility :eek: how much more agile would anyone want :rolleyes: my goodness, mine are made of rubber as it is :D I'm so envious of those of you who can make it. Sometime soon Aly & Zip... and all others "great & small" ;)

10-16-2003, 05:48 PM
:( :( :( :(

It is with a heavy heart that I had to cancel my train reservations today, because I won't be able to make this meeting after all. Circumstances around here just aren't conducive anymore to taking this trip. There's been some family disagreement over Laura missing 3 days of school and struggling to make up all the homework, etc., and October is the height of the hunting season, so we were trying to find someone to care for all the livestock while my husband was also gone. (Laura also expressed her concern over my embarrassing her with my enthusiasm at meeting PT'ers, LOL)

Oh well, guess this will be an "all-Westerners" PT meeting - we'll have to try to make the Utah meeting next spring or something.

wolf_Q
10-16-2003, 05:58 PM
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear you guys can't make it. :( I know you were really looking forward to it. Hope everyone still goes and has a nice time. And hopefully you can make it to the Utah meeting next summer.

aly
10-18-2003, 03:11 PM
Well, looks like its just going to be me, Tonya, and babolaypo! We'll be sure to have enough fun for 15 people :p

Uabassoon
10-18-2003, 06:39 PM
Right now it looks like me and my friend Jack are going.

aly
10-18-2003, 06:45 PM
Ohhh cool Laura! I'm happy you can (probably) go!

babolaypo65
10-22-2003, 09:20 AM
I'll be there! I do have to work on saturday day, but should otherwise have time...
I sent UA and aly a pm with my contact info.:) :)

Karen
10-24-2003, 02:54 PM
I am still wishing I could have gone, but things being as they are, it just wasn't possible. So you all give each other big hugs from me, okay?

annedadosky
11-25-2003, 03:46 PM
Hello everyone:

Currently I own two cats. I have never had a dog. I like horses (do not own one), parrots and fish. I currently have a betta too. He is beautiful blue.

Sincerely

Anne