PDA

View Full Version : Muslim Youth Camp

Uabassoon
06-03-2003, 12:49 PM
I had to post this, I just don't find this fair in anyway. The Muslim Youth Camps of America wants to start a summer camp in Iowa, but there are so many people who are trying to stop it. I don't understand how people can be that closed minded. Some of the comments that have been made my the residents opposed to the camp are just cruel. I think it's a great idea to start a camp, I went to a summer camp for young hispanics and it was a great experience for me. Here's a link to the article.

http://www.newsfrombabylon.com/article.php?sid=2905

babolaypo65
06-03-2003, 01:16 PM
This is disturbing, to say the least. sigh.

Edwina's Secretary
06-03-2003, 02:01 PM
Meanwhile, Eric Robert Rudolph, a government trained, religious zealot, terrorist...who intentionally killed and maimed innocent people....including law enforcement and rescue personnel. I heard an interview with a short-order cook in a pancake house in the town where he was caught...saying that he would have helped Rudolph anyway he could -- food, clothing, shelter. I heard another local say that many of those in the area agree with Rudolph's view and so may have helped him elude capture.

Certainly a far better class of camper to have in your backyard than a group of giggling little girls...right?????

RICHARD
06-03-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
:rolleyes: Racists. :rolleyes:

jiminy christmas.....that's not racism, that's
prejudice.......

joycenalex
06-04-2003, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by RICHARD ...jiminy christmas.....that's not racism, that's prejudice.......
richard, i looked up 'racism' and prejudice' this morning in my 1993 merrian websters, there is alot of overlap in the definations of both words. can anyone seperate out their prejudice from their racism? both have prejudgement of individuals based on external/temporal evidence rather then the knowing of an individual. racism seems to be prejudice expanded to very large groups.

marysmerrycats
06-04-2003, 08:39 AM
who cares if its prejudice or racism.. we know what popcornbird means, and its WRONG. but you can thank the terrorists for that. people are scared. but for crying out loud, it is just wrong to be against that. a summer camp. I mean unless they are handling out machine guns and a tall man with a long beard is teaching them... who cares if they gather in a summer camp. I would rather they be allowed to do so, better a group of young girls then a bunch of american looking punk rockers!

RICHARD
06-04-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by joycenalex
can anyone seperate out their prejudice from their racism?

racism is an 'exact' hate of a peoples???

prejudice is a prejudgement of everyone??

toe may toe, toe mah toe??????;)

marysmerrycats
06-04-2003, 11:59 AM
come on Richard, don't be fussy over what words are used... the fact is, this is very unfair. popcornbird, I feel terrible for you, and I wish I could write to someone? about this. it is not fair that young muslim girls can't get together in summer camp, like pcb says, like girls (and boys) have been doing for decades. to ban them from doing so is just plain STUPID and MEAN and UNNECESSARY!:mad: :(

RICHARD
06-04-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
RICHARD, of course the only thing you could see in this was the word I used. You obviously know what I mean.

i know what you mean and i know that you'll never answer a direct question posed to you.

yep it's an unfair assessment of the camp, i never commented on that...

but i do have a problem with a person who cannot discern the 'correct' terms to explain a problem

it seems to me that the problem people have with the camp is the fact that it is a MUSLIM camp.
that is a religion.... not a race....

yes there may be overlapping in the terms prejudice and racism..but to me it's prejudice....
not racism because i know there are many races who practice the Muslim faith.

get a frigging grip....

POPCORNBIRD...
of course you only see the the correction and you made up the NON COMMENT i had about it....i never said ANYTHING about the situation.....i merely commented on YOUR usage of the term racism...

p.s. and i like the fact that you always tell people to do research and look beyond your point of view but when someone asks a question, posts a comment, or challenges your POV you can't answer without raising your hackles.

I'll pass on this hand-i find that people who play
'race cards' ALL THE TIME need a little colorblindness in their lives.

i stand by my original comment.

and i do think that this whole anti camp thing is wrong.

marysmerrycats
06-04-2003, 12:22 PM
lighten up Richard, shes like 13... arent you the one that said to give kids(in their 20s) a break... well that applies here. and if it is a race or religion, it is still unfair! lets not split hairs over a word ok?

uabassoons post was about the denial of a summer camp to young girls.. that is unfair. and its just making it worse to correct them about a word here or there.
so richy, you get a friggin grip ok? not meaning to piss you off, just wanted to tell you to be nice. were you denied a summer camp at 13 yrs old?

RICHARD
06-04-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by marysmerrycats
lighten up Richard, shes like 13... arent you the one that said to give kids(in their 20s) a break... well that applies here. and if it is a race or religion, it is still unfair! lets not split hairs over a word ok?

uabassoons post was about the denial of a summer camp to young girls.. that is unfair. and its just making it worse to correct them about a word here or there.
so richy, you get a friggin grip ok? not meaning to piss you off, just wanted to tell you to be nice. were you denied a summer camp at 13 yrs old?

since the people do not want a WOMAN/GIRLS/LADIES
camp (let's forget the religious aspect for a second)......let's call them sexist....

that way we can forget the race and prejudice and put a new spin on the topic...

pissed off??? lol.......naw....no way....

here let's toss this one around....for the sake of arguement.....

i never commented on the topic, only the usage of a word.... you all are racist and sexist....because i am a man.

diagram that sentence.

marysmerrycats
06-05-2003, 01:29 AM
sorry popcornbird, I didnt know your age.
and richard , well he will just go on being himself I guess

RICHARD
06-05-2003, 07:20 PM
well,

let's break this down further.

i do not have feelings one way or another about the camp-
only the way that people spin the whole subject.

living in america we ALL have the right to question anything
and we also have the right to give our opinions. i, for one,
find that we toss around terms to describe a situation too easily
and we'll take the harshest, most damaging descriptions off the top of our heads when we REALLY want to be vicious and hurtful.

guilty as charged.....i've done it myself.

i went to a sensitivity training session once and the woman running the class, a stunning woman of middle eastern descent,
asked the question, 'who here is not prejudiced??' hands were raised and she looked at the people who had raised their hands and told them, 'you are not telling the truth.' (she told us some stories from her youth that were very insightful...)

she went on to ask them about the senior driver, snailing their way down the road, the young kid next door playing music too loud or the person across the street that refusesto mow the lawn and paint their house. those people will piss you off and you cannot help but comment, in a negative way about how they screw up your life.......you may caterogize them as 'old drivers, young punks or lazy SOB across the street.

guilty as charged? you have done it yourself and should you doubt that statement, i'll buy that bridge you are selling.

the Muslim faith has undergone a pretty devasting blow to it followers from the actions of a few morons that have hijacked the religion and made it impossible for the true believers to gain their credibility and their place as a religion of love and faith.

some muslims continue to use their position as a point to spout
all the rhetoric they possibly can.

this morning a mulsim cleric (i heard the tail end of the report) issued another fatwah- his point??? MWD's are O.K. to use against the infidels......any person that is NOT of the muslim faith.

not a good thing to hear, especially living in the shadow of airliners and skyscrapers in the last 20 months.....

yep, the idiots that are against some kiddie camp in their backyard are pretty dumb......but, as the article says, the words Muslim and Camp don't inspire confidence in the folks with such a narrowminded view of the world.......

i bet it wasn't fun to be labeled as sexist or racist....i'm probably wrong about that- which make me as wrong as the people who
are against the kiddie camp..

my point is that before anyone of use decides to toss a label around it's a good idea to find out what is going on and why it's going on.....

this will turn into a lovely battle in the courtrooms, the people of the town will pick up the first bill, Iowa the next, the United States government and finally all of us, as taxpayers.

all because some jokers decided to knock down a few buildings, kill some people and induce the word terror into our everyday language.

those are the a holes that started this whole mess-take up the beef with them.

Logan
06-06-2003, 08:03 AM
I have done searches for more information on this topic with no success. But yesterday, I caught a portion of a radio talk show where it was being discussed. I wish I had more time to listen to it, so I could speak more intelligently on the subject. What I did hear was that the beef is more in that it is government land that would be used for this camp. The host and one of the callers suggested that if it was the Baptist church, for example, that was wanting to hold a religious camp on this government property, they would have been denied immediately. Could this be part of the reason for the decision?

If anyone has any more information, I'd love to be steered to it.

babolaypo65
06-06-2003, 08:58 AM
That doesn't *seem* to be the case. It appears they want to rent a camp ground that could easily have been rented to another group. Here's an article from the Washington Post. The people in the article appear to be admitting to "not in my backyard" thinking...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A12067-2003Mar22&notFound=true

Logan
06-06-2003, 02:49 PM
That article fills in a lot of gaps and isn't quite so slanted as the first one. Thank you for sharing it. It states that they should make a decision by early April though.......wonder what the outcome will be!