PDA

View Full Version : bell on coller, outdoor cat.

tikeyas_mom
06-03-2003, 11:59 AM
My cat has to have a bell on his coller because he brings home birds. does anyone eles have this problem with their outdoor cats? He hates the color, but he loves catching birds and mice, any advise? he hasnt brang home any animals since the color has been on, but we have nesting robins and stuff near by, I hope he doesnt hert them .

PayItForward
06-03-2003, 12:11 PM
He is a cat. :D

If he wants to hunt, he will do collar or not.
Adding two addition cat bells attached, one on each side, can help.

tikeyas_mom
06-03-2003, 12:13 PM
so you dont think having a bell on his coller will help him not kill as many birds because they will hear him coming??

slick
06-03-2003, 12:19 PM
Back in the 80's when I had my two indoor/outdoor cats I did put a bell on their collars but they still managed to get a starling or two. I agree with PayItForward. Try the two additional bells. It may not prevent it altogether but hopefully might cut down on the birdy deaths...:(

catlady1945
06-03-2003, 12:38 PM
Our neighbor's cat brought home quite a few birds before they put a bell on her collar. It just gives the bird some time to get away when it hears the bell. The noisier the cat is the better.

Kirsten
06-03-2003, 01:51 PM
Okay, I can see everybody's point (and I don't have a better solution either :(), but don't forget hearing a constant ringing in their ears whenever they walk or move won't make cats too happy. And they hear it louder than we do. No offense, just something to think about...

Kirsten

boscibo
06-03-2003, 02:11 PM
Growing up, my parents had indoor/outdoor cats. They belled them. The cats still caught birds. When I bought my first house, the people who lived there moved out of state and left their cat. He was a great hunter, so I belled him. He still caught everything - birds, rabbits, mice, gophers...you name it. He had learned to stalk so carefully so the bell wouldn't ring. He was also a Houdini cat, and I found his collar all over our land. I don't know how he got it off, but he always did. The only 100% way to guarantee your cat won't kisll things is to keep them in - and even then any insects that get in the house are fair game!

Fox-Gal
06-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Been here done this........the bell that come on a cat collar doesn't seem to make enough noise for some animals cats hunt.

This is what I do.....I get those small cow shaped bell that come on bird toys, they have a stronger ring to them. This has worked great for me for many years. I've watched them hunt and soon as they try to pounce the bell sounds and off goes their prey. After a while I even noticed that some of my cats don't even try any more, maybe they think they lost their touch. :D

PayItForward
06-03-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Kirsten
Okay, I can see everybody's point (and I don't have a better solution either :(), but don't forget hearing a constant ringing in their ears whenever they walk or move won't make cats too happy. And they hear it louder than we do. No offense, just something to think about...

Kirsten

I agree that the bells must drive the cat batty, that is why our cats are microchipped, no need for a collar.

PaysForIt says there is a ultrasonic bell collar on the market. Birds hear it but we can't. I am not sure if the cats hear it.

Although receiving prey from your cat is distressing, from the cats point of view, it's helping this useless cat (i.e. You) to hunt.

He/she is being loving and we should accept their prey as welcome gifts. (and remove to the bin asap)