PDA

View Full Version : Wild dogs

Genia
12-03-2000, 01:42 PM
I just had the most frightening experience. I was walking Jeffrey and Bandit today. We were along a fence that borders the woods and all of a sudden a pack of dogs lunged at us. They were vicious, barking, growling, and biting at the fence. Even though the fence is 6ft high, I know some dogs can climb them. I got out of there in a hurry. Poor Jeffrey was so upset, it took almost an hour for him to settle down. My daughter told me last week she heard a dog growl at her as she was riding her bike near the woods. I called the city Animal Control and reported it. They said they'll "look into it". Are these all abandoned dogs that formed a pack and become vicious? My daughter rides her bike to and from school everyday. Even though there are plenty of parents, police and crossing guards along the way, until these dogs are caught I may just drive her everyday.

ownerof3dogs
12-03-2000, 07:03 PM
I would drive her intill these dogs are caught. these dogs could have diseases and seriously hurt your child. also I wouldn't walk your dogs near there intill everything gets worked out.

carrie
12-04-2000, 03:31 AM
I agree. The chances of anything happening are small but if it did and you knew that there was a risk how would you live with it?! Bug Animal Control every day until it's sorted and get your neighbours to do the same.

Genia
12-08-2000, 11:30 AM
Finally got animal control out after many calls from me and my neighbors. There were puppies there. Very cute, playing under a fallen tree. The neighborhood kids had been bringing dog food (and cat food) and dumping it across the fence to feed the puppies. The kids would run away when they heard the older dogs coming. Glad they are gone but sad in a way. They'll be taken to a local shelter which doesn't have a good adoption rate.

[This message has been edited by Genia (edited December 08, 2000).]

carrie
12-08-2000, 06:05 PM
Genia, don't feel bad. You did the right thing. It is sad that so many dogs are so mistreated but the only way to draw attention to the problem and get people thinking about it is by doing something.
The local kids feeding the pups is so brilliant but it is still no way for pups to be brought up. Your example will hopefully set seeds for the future dog owners among them.
You will never know if you saved a child's fingers, face or life but the chances are that you did.
Dogs living like that were not your fault or problem and you should feel proud of yourself for being brave enough to do something about it. Yes, it is sad but if people get away with it them more and more dogs suffer.
WELL DONE!

ktreva52
12-09-2000, 10:30 PM
Genia: You did the right thing, hard though it may be to think that. Is there any way you and the neighbors could help the image of the shelter to encourage adoptions? Maybe encourage the local pet stores to post some sort of info that there are several new dogs available? Maybe the puppies can get adopted, at least. You HAVE probably saved a child and other faimily a lot of grief if the kids were bringing food for the pups. Someone would have gotten hurt!!!! Not "might have", WOULD HAVE. You know how kids are about wanting to pet the puppies..... You did good.