PDA

View Full Version : If Only These Cats Had Been Spayed/Neutered!

K & L
06-02-2003, 08:54 PM
Please take about 5 minutes and tell Jeb Bush to vote against this policy. There are too many animal organizations and individuals like me who are doing their best to help the feral cat population to see an entire state go against what we are trying to accomplish. Please take the time.

Dear Best Friends Network member:

Your e-mail message can help save Florida's cats.

On May 30, 2003, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission will vote on a proposed policy to "prohibit the release, feeding or protection of cats..." throughout Florida. If this policy is adopted it will result in the killing of hundreds of thousands of feral and free-roaming cats in Florida.

In addition, part of the proposal includes opposing "Trap, Neuter, Release programs" and supports trapping and killing cats already neutered and vaccinated and living as part of colonies monitored by caretakers.

Your immediate action -- sending an e-mail message -- can help to save Florida's feral cats.

Let the Governor and the Commissioners know that you won't support their state with your tourist dollars if they implement this deadly policy!

You can e-mail Governor Jeb Bush at:

[email protected] or call his office at: (850) 488-4441 or send a fax: (850) 487-0801.

You can also write to the Florida Wildlife Commission about trap/neuter/return as the most humane and effective method of reducing feral cat populations.

By visiting http://action.alleycat.org, you can send an e-mail to the FWC Commissioners asking them to vote against this misguided policy. You can add your comments by typing in the blank section after the form e-mail.

The cats desperately need your help. Please act today!

Alley Cat Allies
1801 Belmont Rd., NW Suite 201
Washington, DC 20009
www.alleycat.org

IttyBittyKitty
06-03-2003, 04:53 AM
That's just not on! I've sent an e-mail in support of the poor feral cats. When are people going to learn, animals are not disposable commodities.

moosmom
06-03-2003, 10:13 AM
I just sent an e-mail to bush. I hope it does some good. I told him if anyone should be punished, it should be the irresponsible pet owners and NOT the cats.

marysmerrycats
06-03-2003, 10:58 AM
they want to stop people from helping the feral cats...why?:mad: :mad:

Fox-Gal
06-03-2003, 04:52 PM
My letter been sent awhile back ago. But I do hope more and more people send in.

I live in Florida and have known about this for awhile, from what I hear they are still debating it. So I didn't want any one thinking that just because May 30 has come and gone that it's to late to do something.

Lorraine
06-04-2003, 11:24 AM
I live in Florida too, and I think the whole thing is just insane!!:mad: Poor kitties hurt no one, and I think the TNR program is great. They say the cats are going to eat up all the endangered wildlife, how ridiculous! Bush should concentrate more on what really important, like the homeless people, poverty, criminals etc!!! i will be sending my e-mail ASAP!!!

K & L
06-04-2003, 11:50 AM
What really irks me, is why does it seem like every other animal gets protected but the cat? You know, even at the park where our ferals reside, people will feed the chickens, rabbits, pigeons, peacocks and turkeys...but NEVER the cats!:mad: :mad:

Lorraine
06-04-2003, 12:08 PM
You are absolutley right K & L!
People down here get great joy out of feeding the sea gulls-filthy little beggars! (o.k. I've been guilty of it myself, and I should'nt say such nasty things about them, they are God's creatures after all!) but my point is, most people think it's fun to feed different critters, it makes the happy, and feel good, I think so anyway, so why should people be bothered by the innocent feral cats?
I am sure they do a great job of catching mice and rats. (there are alot of rats, where there is alot of fruit trees)
If this law passes, I will be very upset!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

K & L
06-04-2003, 12:14 PM
Oh me too! All the work that so many organizations are doing could almost be in vain! Oh this gets my blood pressure up!

Lorraine
06-04-2003, 12:22 PM
It breaks my heart to say this, but in the paper that said "It will be open season on cats" Is that appaling or what??!! I hope they are not serious, but I'm sure they won't get them out of there humanley! They will get a bunch of trigger happy fools to do it!!
But of course, we have to pray that it won't even happen at all!!!
Wonder what PETA has to say about this?:mad:

K & L
06-04-2003, 12:33 PM
OMG!:mad: How could they say that. I just can't stand this.:(

rosethecopycat
06-04-2003, 02:25 PM
I live in FL as well, it broke on the local news a few days ago.

The man siting the reason for stopping the TNR program said the word: "CAT", with such disdain and disgust in his voice, I knew he wasn't a cat person.
:mad:

They are so shrouded in their language, stopping the program means it's o.k. to start killing them.
But, they don't come out and say: It's O. K. to kill cats now.

I wonder, if it were dogs....:rolleyes:

Fox-Gal
06-04-2003, 04:34 PM
The whole thing is just asinine, whats next DOGS. They kill wildlife too, they run free in wild packs. At least around me they do. I live in a very rural part of Florida and I don't know about other areas but I see just about as many free dogs as I do cats.

I don't know it just seem to me that if this law goes through it can only lead to more stupid laws. Next it will be, no more cows because when they pass gas it hurts the ozone layer! I know thats not likely to happen but it just shows how dumb I think this law is.

And if our state pass it, I'm sure in time other state will follow. One day we might have to put cats on the endanger species list.
Long way away from that now, but who knows what can happen in the furture. Cats are one of natures creatures and need to be protected the same as any other.