PDA

View Full Version : Therapy Dog?

GoldenRetrLuver
06-02-2003, 08:45 PM
Hi, I have been intrested in the world of Therapy Dogs. I think Daisy would make an excellent therapy dog. She is friendly to everybody, VERY obidiant (sp?), and perfect size! (53 pounds!) I would love to take her to hospitals, old folks homes, anywhere. I think she would enjoy it and I would be giving back to people since I have been blessed with so much. Does anyone have a therapy dog? Or any info about it? I did some research and they have to pass what is known as the Canine Good Citizen Test? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx!:D

binka_nugget
06-02-2003, 08:48 PM
I'm not sure..sorry I'm not much help. I wanna find out about this. I think Kai (and daisy of course) would make excellent therapy dogs. I'm just not sure kai's ready for it now though...he's still a pup and acts just like one. I think herding or agility would be more of our thing at this time. Why aren't you considering molly to be one also?

GoldenRetrLuver
06-02-2003, 08:53 PM
The reason im not considering Molly is because she is EXTREMLY shy of people. If she meets someone new, she cowers in the corner. Its sad to watch:( Im not sure she could handle it....She was last of the litter, and I dont think the breeder treated her very well. (which i cant see how, shes perfect!) She has come a very long way to when we first got her though...I think Molly would excell in agility, but then theres the shy issue again....Daisy on the other hand is a happy go lucky dog!

Thanx for your reply!:)

Cincy'sMom
06-02-2003, 08:56 PM
Our Cincy was certified as a Therapy Dog in march of this year and has begun making a few visits a month. She has been to a health fair, a nursing home, a rehab, hopital and a school for kids with behavioral problems, and she did very welll at all of them. She esp. loves the kids!!!

Here are some basic rules:
1.Dogs must have a current rabies certificate and distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis, para-influenza and parvovirus inoculation.

2.A yearly physical and stool check.
Dogs must be kept on leashes at all times when in an institution except when doing certain obedience exercises.
4. To wear the yellow TDI ID tag when working as a therapy dog.
5. Dogs must have passed a Canine Good Citizen Test with TDI modifications.
6. Dogs must be at least one year of age.
7. Annual heartworm test.
8. Female dogs must not be in estrus when participating in therapy work.
9. Be well groomed.
10. Therapy Dogs, when in public, may wear a red leather or nylon harness with the TDI patch on top as a visible sign they are a Therapy Dog

Here's a link to the requirements to pass the CGC Test. There are additinal requirements for TDI, but nothing too difficult...I'll keeping looking for those.
Test requirements (http://www.everydoghas.com/canine_good_citizen.htm)

Cincy'sMom
06-02-2003, 08:57 PM
Here's a better link...
TDI (http://members.tripod.com/gcrc/events/tdi_test.html)

GoldenRetrLuver
06-02-2003, 09:02 PM
Thank you soo much for the links! Lots of info! One question, is there an age requirement as a handler for the dog while testing?:)

Cincy'sMom
06-02-2003, 09:43 PM
There is no minimum age, however if you are under 18, you must be accompianed by an adult on visits and a parent must sign the registration form

GoldenRetrLuver
06-02-2003, 10:21 PM
Thank you so much!:D

wolfsoul
06-02-2003, 10:33 PM
Leather would be a great therapy dog! Timber would suck, she would knock everyone over :(

I'm going to look into this when I'm older when I have my future dogs :D

I can't remember who it is that owns Kersey, but I remember that she is now a certified therapy dog :)

kingrattus
06-04-2003, 12:10 AM
We use to bring Max to my mom's nersing home. He loved all the old people & they loved him even more. But last year a no pet rule was made. Some $h!t head brought a goat (which was ok), but he but it on the table in the security room (the room u walk into & then get buzzed into the building) & the goat ended up craping all over the table (which was no big deal), but the owner act as if it never happened & left it there!!:eek:
So because of the retard, good pets & responsible owners can't go inside. Its so mean, people use to bring bunnies, kittens, puppies, parots & all kinds of other furry or cute animals. Fish arn't even allowed in there :mad:

I wish I was there, I get psycho when ppl don't poop & scoup.