PDA

View Full Version : Shedding blade

binka_nugget
06-02-2003, 06:57 PM
While I was SUPPOSED to be in math class...I was in the mall. I decided to go into zeller's to see if they had a shedding blade. I saw one for $10 and thought I'd give it a shot. Lemme tell you...it was worth every penny. I normally brush his entire body every 2 days or so, sometimes even more. I don't get that much of his undercoat out but this time, within 5 minutes of brushing...I got all this...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/pde17a8d29f2ecb7e51476a24f2d4dc91/fc03e0e0.jpg

I just LOVE this grooming tool!

wolf_Q
06-02-2003, 07:03 PM
Yep, the shedding blade is great! I wouldn't use it too often though...sometimes it seems to cause dandruff.

I'd also recommend a nice undercoat rake, as well as GOOD slicker brush. I've used many slicker brushes that didn't do much......I ordered a really stiff one from Pet Edge...WOW! That got so much fur out of Nebo it was amazing!

lovemyshiba
06-02-2003, 07:23 PM
Oh, I use the undercoat rake on Kito--it is amazing the amount of hair I get out of him:eek:
For Abbey and Riley, I use the slicker--works amazing!!

wolf_Q
06-02-2003, 07:25 PM
Emily, a good curry brush would work great on Abbey and Riley too!

I use a combination of brushes on Nebo.....curry brush, 3 different slickers, shedding blade, undercoat rake........he loves to be brushed so much. :rolleyes:

lovemyshiba
06-02-2003, 07:31 PM
I don't know what a curry brush is
I have a slicker, undercoat rake, comb, flea comb, and just a regular old doggie brush--guess I need to get some more!!!!

wolf_Q
06-02-2003, 07:35 PM
Here's the curry brush I use......you can find it at Petco...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p62e15a07494a4fb0516ef786fb9b26d7/fc2a9db5.jpg
Push hard and kind of angle it to really pull the hairs out.....It's usually the only brush I use on short-haired dogs!

Cookiebaker
06-02-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
Here's the curry brush I use......you can find it at Petco...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p62e15a07494a4fb0516ef786fb9b26d7/fc2a9db5.jpg
Push hard and kind of angle it to really pull the hairs out.....It's usually the only brush I use on short-haired dogs!

YES!! the curry brush works really well...;)...it gets so much hair out and leaves Malone so silky soft!!! :D

binka_nugget
06-02-2003, 08:27 PM
I think I need a new slicker brush. Our's is okay but after seeing how much the shedding blade pulled out compared to our slicker...I'm thinking we need a new brand. For our slicker, I only get about one fourth of that pic above every week...:eek:

tikeyas_mom
06-02-2003, 08:37 PM
I have a shedding blade for Tikeya, she is HORRID when it comes to shedding, man oh man! I can fill a black garbage bag of her hair after 4 hours of streight brushing. but she loves it, inless the clumps are still not loose enough to brush out. then she get hurts.

anna_66
06-02-2003, 09:23 PM
I never really thought a curry brush would work well on a husky, thanks for the info Amy, I'll have to get one now!
You say you use 3 different slickers on Nebo, what's the difference between them?
A couple of questions, does the shedding blade break off the fur or anything (silly question....I guess not if your using it:o ).
Have you ever groomed a chow? If so, what kind of brushes do you use. I usually use a rake, pin brush & a slicker. Huney is just shedding so much now, and the hair is so fine it just flies all over, worse than Roxey's does! I could brush her nonstop:)

Tonya
06-02-2003, 11:44 PM
I'd never heard of a shedding blade. I use a brush, I only brush them once a week. I fill up a plastic grocery bag everytime.

wolf_Q
06-03-2003, 12:54 AM
This is the slicker brush I just ordered....I love it!! It takes out twice as much fur as any other slicker I've used. I have the medium size.

http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=1274&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=12&iSubCat=152&iSubSubCat=156&iProductID=1274

The other slickers I use are a softer one that's not so angled..(you can't use the stiff ones too much or you can cause brush burn) http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?familyid=6009&sku=4258312500&tab=1&dept_id=247&c1=225&c2=246&c3=247&ct1=Grooming&ct2=Tools&ct3=Brushes+%26+Gloves
and a really small one. http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?familyid=6428&sku=4258312501&tab=1&dept_id=247&c1=225&c2=246&c3=247&ct1=Grooming&ct2=Tools&ct3=Brushes+%26+Gloves
The small one is used to fluff up the hair between the toes to trim it. Actually I just shave the fur between the pads on Nebo's toes now lol.

Anna I did just groom a chow last week.....the first time.......actually he got the "shed-less" so I brushed him TONS. With the thick coat of a chow I borrowed this undercoat rake...used that as well as slickers, etc.

http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=377&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=12&iSubCat=152&iSubSubCat=167&iProductID=377

For medium coats (like huskies) I use something closer to this...

http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?familyid=7839&sku=4258367653&tab=1&dept_id=248&c1=225&c2=246&c3=248&ct1=Grooming&ct2=Tools&ct3=Combs%2C+Dematting+%26+Shedding+Blades

I like to hold a slicker in one hand and an undercoat rake in the other and brush the slicker then the undercoat rake.

If you find some matts or thick spots in the coat that just won't come out something like this works well also.

http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?familyid=6016&sku=4258367665&tab=1&dept_id=248&c1=225&c2=246&c3=248&ct1=Grooming&ct2=Tools&ct3=Combs%2C+Dematting+%26+Shedding+Blades

Ok, I should shut up now huh? :o

anna_66
06-03-2003, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
Ok, I should shut up now huh? :o
No, not at al, I found it all very interesting. Hey, anything that could help get that hair out:D
One more question, when you do their feet do you use clippers or do you use scissors?

Thanks alot Amy, now I have to go and buy some stuff!

mruffruff
06-03-2003, 11:05 AM
Very enlightening post! I have a dematting comb, but I wasn't using it right. And another shopping site! Oh boy!;)

I could brush Bella all day and keep getting masses of hair off of her. She's only part chow, but I think that part is her coat.

Mary

Kona & Oreo's mom
06-03-2003, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the info, Amy, and the links. They were helpful because I didn't know the right names!

Oreo's shedding a lot right now--the soft "down" under-coat. I've been using a slicker brush. Any other recommendations for a lab?

binka_nugget
06-03-2003, 06:31 PM
Amy, since you have more experience with grooming..Could I ask you something? What should I use on Kai? I heard that I shouldn't use the slicker too much because I want to leave the undercoat in..but then..shouldn't I remove the loose hairs?

GSDgurl
06-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Amy.... Since u are a groomer I also have a "?" for u.
I use a curry comb on Asia(GSD)...it works really well n' this other brush..but im not sure what its called. I was just wondering have u groomed a GSD?? If so what did u use on it.....n' what worked the best. She just sheds like crazy....u can see the fur fly off her when she shakes off. Its driving my Mom nuts~!:p (too much vaccuming she says...lol)
Thanx
Casey

kingrattus
06-03-2003, 10:18 PM
I've never really got into brushing Max too much, I mostly just vaccumed him. But when Rob & I move to NFLD, I'll have to start brushing Max alot, to keep the hair & dander down. Rob is very allergic, so I want to do the best I can to make it less worse.

I have a regular brush. One with a soft side & one with a metal side. Its none of the ones in the pics already shown. I'll hunt for a pic...

So what would be good for a dog with soft, ferm, short & long hair?? Max is a Lab, rotti & pitty mix, so his fur is kinda odd & different all over.

anna_66
06-19-2003, 08:22 AM
I got a few of the brushes you suggested, but I just love this one!http://www.petedge.com/images/us/local/products/family_detail/mf227_f.jpg I have a pin brush, but this one works awesome! I also got the curry brush & the dematting comb & I also got this one for Huney http://www.petedge.com/images/us/local/products/family_detail/of6_f.jpg & it rocks!
Thanks again for the advice, maybe now I can get all this hair out with the 10 diffrent combs, brushes, rakes & blades I have:p

wolf_Q
06-19-2003, 11:50 PM
Ooops, sorry, didn't see all of these replies! :o

No, not at al, I found it all very interesting. Hey, anything that could help get that hair out. One more question, when you do their feet do you use clippers or do you use scissors?

For most dogs, I just use scissors. That works well. With Nebo lately I've been shaving between his pads...it just looks very neat and trim.

Oreo's shedding a lot right now--the soft "down" under-coat. I've been using a slicker brush. Any other recommendations for a lab?

I'd try a good curry brush and maybe a shedding blade. Also you may want to try a different kind of slicker. A good bath should get rid of a lot of the hair. Try brushing with the curry during the bath.

Amy, since you have more experience with grooming..Could I ask you something? What should I use on Kai? I heard that I shouldn't use the slicker too much because I want to leave the undercoat in..but then..shouldn't I remove the loose hairs?

I've never heard of leaving the undercoat in.......maybe for a show dog to make the coat look fuller...or for the winter....but I can't understand trying to leave much in for the hot summer. Honestly a slicker isn't going to do much for taking the undercoat out, so that shouldn't be a problem. Whenever I bath shelties I try to get as much of the undercoat out as possible by blowing them with the high pressure dryer and brushing them with an undercoat rake. Make sure you (and all people who have long/thick coated dogs) do brush with an undercoat rake at times. I see so many people that just brush their dogs with a slicker, which makes the coat look good on top...but it's matted and thick underneath.

Amy.... Since u are a groomer I also have a "?" for u. use a curry comb on Asia(GSD)...it works really well n' this other brush..but im not sure what its called. I was just wondering have u groomed a GSD?? If so what did u use on it.....n' what worked the best. She just sheds like crazy....u can see the fur fly off her when she shakes off. Its driving my Mom nuts~! (too much vaccuming she says...lol)
Thanx
Casey

Yes I've groomed many GSDs..and they do indeed shed like crazy!! :eek: I would get a GOOD slicker...one that's curved and has very stiff bristles should work nice...like the first one I mentioned. I'd also use a nice undercoat rake on her. That will help get those balls of "fluff" out of her (undercoat).

I have a regular brush. One with a soft side & one with a metal side. Its none of the ones in the pics already shown. I'll hunt for a pic... So what would be good for a dog with soft, ferm, short & long hair?? Max is a Lab, rotti & pitty mix, so his fur is kinda odd & different all over.

I think I know what brush you are talking about, but I'm not positive. Let me know when you find a pic! I think that blue curry brush I mentioned would work very well. Push firmly with it! It's the only brush I use on lab type dogs for the most part...if you use it right, you can get out so much fur and it makes them feel soft!

I got a few of the brushes you suggested, but I just love this one! I have a pin brush, but this one works awesome! I also got the curry brush & the dematting comb & I also got this one for

Woohoo! Did you order it from Pet Edge or find a similar one? I just love that brush, I want to order more! Where did you find that brush for Huney? I haven't seen a slicker quite like that, it looks great!

anna_66
06-20-2003, 07:32 AM
Amy, I got everything from Pet Edge, I think I spent about $70 on brushes, rinseless shampoo (which works great!) & a few treats!
But my favorite is the curved 2 sized pin brush, like you said, I just love that brush! Thanks again for the advice!

sabies
06-20-2003, 08:54 AM
Wow Amy, thanks. All this time I would have just said I used a "dog" brush on Sadie. I'm going to try some of these brushes you mention since right now I live in a very furry apartment :).

Airedalekisses
06-20-2003, 04:16 PM
I have to find the address of the lady who spins dog hair into yarn-she did an old English sheepdog sweater- it was gorgeous-just I wonder what it would smell like if it got caught in the rain? I think it would be great to wear a sweater made of your dog's hair or a blanket-wrap up on a cold night almost like having your dog sit on your lap.