PDA

View Full Version : Corn Cob Bedding

AngelZoo
06-02-2003, 05:44 PM
Anyone have reviews on using corn cob as bedding?
I picked up some for my rat, since the Carefresh isn't working very well and I think my fiance may be allergic to it.

I've used a clumping formula for my cats recently and it worked really well. I hope it will work the same for the rat, non clumping and from a different brand. L&M I believe.

CathyBogart
06-02-2003, 06:05 PM
I've never used it myself, and I've heard it gets moldy really fast.

Aspen and Misty
06-02-2003, 06:29 PM
I use it for Julian and as a wrestling box for the rats. They all seem to like it. It keeps for at least a month, I leave a whole bag of it in the bath tub open for the whole month and have never had any problem with mold.

Ash

tikeyas_mom
06-02-2003, 08:09 PM
It is fun to dig in and stuff, but it cannot be digested. and it also molds turning blue fast, so I donot use it.

Desert Arabian
06-02-2003, 09:11 PM
I use corn cob bedding occassionally. I have never seen it mold, so I can't believe it when people say it molds fast...it must be the type/brand which have different mold factors!?!? The longest I have kept it in the cage was about a week & a half, and it did a good job of keeping the odors down.

I use KayKob by Kaytee. They have a special processing step to keep mold from growing, and hold the odors down for a long period of time. I personally like it a lot. Never have had any problems with it. :) :)

wolfsoul
06-02-2003, 09:45 PM
I don't like it.

I use KayKob by Kaytee.

I've tried the same kind, and after two days the litter would be moldy. Not to mention smelly :S Having to clean the cage every two days was irritating, and the corn cob made the rats smell which meant more baths for them.

I've so far tried corn cob, timothy hay, aspen moss, pinnicle pellets, clumping litter, and I think that's all...( I used pine when I first got Frisco and didn't know it was bad >_<)

The only thing that I like so far, is aspen shavings. I hated the moss, I thought it stunk lol. It's just my opinion though, I know alot of people who don't like it :D Give everything a try, that'a what I did. See what you like best before deciding on anything. ;)

delidog
06-02-2003, 10:18 PM
Collects moisture,which traps and breeds mold...creates poison if eaten moldy...
Yuk!!!:(

wolfsoul
06-02-2003, 10:26 PM
I just remember something -- the bedding smelled like alcohol lol. I swear, when it got all gross and moldy, it smelled like alcohol :eek: :o

Daisylover
06-03-2003, 09:01 AM
I didn't think it absorbed the urine all that well and it has absolutely no odor control.....I will never use it again.