PDA

View Full Version : Do you know about Premarin??

Cisco's Mom
06-02-2003, 10:47 AM
I don't know how many of you are familiar with the hormone pill premarin, but I found a very interesting video on just that!! My mom take it and I will def. be talking to her very soon! Also, other good videos to watch.

http://www.animalchannel.org/#

micki76
06-02-2003, 12:21 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: Why in the H*LL can't this crap be stopped?????????? :mad: :mad: :mad: I had to stop watching the video when they started talking about the unwanted foals being sold at auction. I just couldn't take it anymore. I used to take Premarin until my new Dr. suggested something more plant based. She said it was better for me, so I changed to Estrace. I'm so glad I did! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

zippy-kat
06-02-2003, 01:00 PM
I def. know about it and have given several presentations on the horrors.

I can tell you more but I'm at work now. Will post more info later tonight.

Denyce
06-02-2003, 07:32 PM
There is some hope for Premerin Foals...there is an organization...the website is....www.springhillrescue.com. They attempt to save as many of the Premerin Foals as they can. Here is another situation where consumers of Premerin have to be convinced to change to another alternative rather than blasting the people that supply it. It is the old Supply/Demand situation. If there isn't a demand there isn't a supply. I inform as many women as I can about Premerin and the costs.

Denyce
06-02-2003, 07:40 PM
I had a thought while I reading the article from the website that started this thread. I am going to print this article and take it with me when I next see my primary care doctor and my OBGYN. If we can also get our doctors to stop and think before prescribing premarin and perhaps use another alternative then another positive step has been taken!:)

lizbud
06-02-2003, 08:07 PM
I took Premarin in the 90's, and then didn't have a clue as to
how it was made. After five years, I developed breast cancer.
It was later discovered that there is a definate link between
Premarin & breast cancer in women who take this drug for more
than three years. There was no history of cancer in my family,
but no one else took Premarin either. I've had surgery, chemo
& radiation therapy and have been cancer free since '97. While
you discuss this issue of Premarin with your Drs., ask them about
the link to breast cancer. I'm glad the news is being spread about
the cruel methods used to market this drug. Soy products are a
much better, healthier & humane way to go.

anna_66
06-02-2003, 09:04 PM
I took it many years ago, but thank goodness I am no longer on it. I had no idea of how it was made. Thank you for letting me know, I will be sure to tell anyone I know who is taking it (if I'm not mistaken my mom takes it).

Liz, I'm sorry to hear about your strugle with cancer & so glad that you have been cancer free for the last 6 years!

Vermontcat
06-02-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Denyce
There is some hope for Premerin Foals...there is an organization...the website is....www.springhillrescue.com. They attempt to save as many of the Premerin Foals as they can.
Denyce, thanks for posting the link to Spring Hill Rescue. I was going to do a search for their website but you saved me the trouble.
They are not too far from where I live and I have seen their ads about adopting PMU foals which are perfectly beautiful foals for a very good price.(plus a life saved)

moosmom
06-03-2003, 09:32 AM
Premarin stands for Pregnant Mare's Urine. When I had my hysterectomy 5 years ago, my doctor wanted to put me on it. I did alot of research on it and told him absolutely not. I was on a synthetic patch for a while. I finally stopped all hormone replacement therapy. The only thing I have is hot flashes, which I tolerate. They have now found that HRP causes dementia. I'd rather deal with the hot flashes than risk all the side effects as well as put horses lives in jeopardy.

Kona & Oreo's mom
06-03-2003, 09:56 AM
One of the main causes that the "demand" is so great is that doctors are not informing their patients of the source of Premarin. Also, in many cultural groups even in America women still believe that "doctors always know best" and that it is not appropriate to question them. If more women were being INFORMED and were making educated decisions about their own medication, the demand would go down.

lizbud
06-03-2003, 11:38 AM
K & O's Mom,

You are so right. Here's a link with much info on Premarin
and it has a language translator at the bottom of the page to
translate to French,German, Spanish & Dutch languages. Since
American sales are falling, European women are being targeted
with more advertizements for this drug.

http://www.premarin.org/