PDA

View Full Version : Should cats be outdoors?

CoolBabe22
06-02-2003, 08:01 AM
:) Should cats be outdoors?What do you think??Tell me what you think!:)

wolf_Q
06-02-2003, 08:53 AM
NO :mad:

PayItForward
06-02-2003, 11:01 AM
A 100% outside cat is a stray.

Such cat need to be rehomed in homes where they have 24/7 access to the inside.

CoolBabe22
06-02-2003, 11:36 AM
i posted my reply as a thread on this forum,cat general

PayItForward
06-02-2003, 12:24 PM
Is it this thread.....

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27664

Tiger is a beautiful kitty, I am assuming that you leave him outside all the time. (Edit. I have remember that you 'own' several unaltered outdoor only cats/kittens)

All cats deserve security & shelter from the elements. I urge you to bring Tiger in at night or build an outside shelter for him at the very least.

Our cats are all inside/outside. They have the best of both worlds. They play outside when they want but they ALWAYS have a warm & safe place to sleep.

IMO I don't believe it is fair to ask any non-feral cat to be outside 100% of the time.

PS. I am only stateing my opinion, as requested.

PayItForward
06-02-2003, 12:29 PM
Have you got around to spaying or neutering any of your cats yet ?

........seeing as they are all 100% outside cats.

Poor Kitties :(

Uabassoon
06-02-2003, 01:39 PM
IMO I don't believe it is fair to ask any non-feral cat to be outside 100% of the time.

I mostly agree with that, but I think there are some exceptions. For example my porch cat Salty after trying to make her an indoor cat we finally decided for her she would be best and happiest outside. Now most of our porch cats have been rehomed because they are friendly and they really want to be indoor cats. But because Salty had lived on our porch for the past 12 years before we moved in we didn't think it was right to take her from her home. When we tried to bring her indoors she would jump to the top of the fridge and pee on herself and would just stay there until we moved her someplace else. However she is safe on the porch, she isn't running on the streets or in a place where dogs can get to her. The porch is screened in and we only open the screen door when we are there so she can go to the flower bed near the porch and go to the bathroom. But if she weren't in a place that was secure and well protected then I don't know that I would have left her outside.

PayItForward
06-02-2003, 01:57 PM
Apology for forgetting about your Salty (I have just been looking at her fab photos on another thread)

Of course there will be exceptions to the rule.

But you actually tried to give her inside access (she didn't want it) and don't you relocate her to the spare room, when the weather is bad. You aren't forcing her to be outside, she doesn't want to be in, that is different.

You are a very good parent to ALL your kitties and I hope I didn't offend you. :D

I am just angry at the thought of all those unaltered cats/kittens that have no choice but to live outside, makes me very sad :(

Uabassoon
06-02-2003, 02:11 PM
Don't worry I took no offense. I'm a big cats should be only indoors person. All the strays that come over to my house make me sad too, I always take them in to get fixed and try to find homes for them. One of my porch cats got a new home and now not including Salty I only have 1 porch cat left!! When I moved here we had up to 7 at one point. We made a cat sized flap for them so they could come into the porch when they want. But the porch is nice, on cool nights I like to take my hammock out there and sleep because sometimes it's cooler there then it is inside my house. And when it gets too hot ouside or when we get monsoons and the wind blows the rain into the patio then Salty goes into her own private bedroom.
But sometimes I get so sad because a few of our porch cats were someones pet at one point. And I can never understand how someone can just leave their cat to fend for itself.

PayItForward
06-02-2003, 02:27 PM
I'm glad I didn't offend :D

You have done a brillant job rehoming all those porch cats.

And I can never understand how someone can just leave their cat to fend for itself
Like Caramel, he was altered so he must have had a home at some point. :(

popcornbird
06-02-2003, 04:18 PM
No, not 100% of the time. It needs shelter during bad weather etc. That wouldn't be a pet then; more like a stray. I prefer keeping cats indoor for their safety, or indoor/outdoor in safe areas, but in my opinion, 100% outdoor just isn't a pet.

PayItForward
06-02-2003, 04:44 PM
100% outdoor just isn't a pet
Too right & unaltered too boot :(

carole
06-02-2003, 10:12 PM
Im with payitforward on this one, 100 per cent in agreement with everything you have said.

carole
06-02-2003, 10:13 PM
And coolbabe why dont you answer some of the questions being asked of you, i for one would be interested to hear your reponse.

PayItForward
06-03-2003, 02:40 PM
Coolbabe doesn't answer these type of questions ? We could be waiting some time for a response :D

weeze
06-04-2003, 07:30 AM
I voted yes by accident--- I meant to say no... After my kitty was hit by a car last year, I think they should be inside 100% of the time.. My opinion is always solidified every time I see a cat that has been killed in the middle of the road (which I see quite often living in the city)...

emily_the_spoiled
06-04-2003, 04:09 PM
NO!!!!

I take care of many of the strays in my apartment complex and always try to re-home them if possible. Unfortunately I have also had to put some down because they were so badly injured by drivers, poisen or foxes. It just about broke my heart to do that, so I DEFINITELY DO NOT believe in outdoor kitties. :mad: :mad:

Cheryl

CoolBabe22
06-05-2003, 08:28 AM
I would but I can't bring them inside.Momma doesn't like cats!So they can get it the shed 24/7 if they want.The kittens are so playful,friendly,and full of excitment!:D

CoolBabe22
06-05-2003, 08:37 AM
My cats aren't stray.People shouldn't be saying that.You don't even know use.We can't bring them inside because moom doesn't like them.So next time,remember,Think before you act.

moosmom
06-05-2003, 09:30 AM
Why bother having pets if you don't enjoy them?? While the kittens are cute and playful, are they spayed/neutered?? If not, and they're outside all the time, you are responsible for contributing to the feline overpopulation.

You asked everyone here their opinion and they gave it.

marysmerrycats
06-05-2003, 11:55 AM
So next time,remember,Think before you act.
I say the same to you...since you acted by by posting, asking our opinions then said you can't have them inside anyway... so it was pointless to discuss it then wasn't it?

if you care about the cats you will get them spayed/neutered.

Logan
06-05-2003, 01:03 PM
I'm not getting into the middle of this argument. I did misread the question though and missed the 100% of the time part. I have indoor/outdoor kitties, two of them, who choose to spend most of their time indoors, but when they want out, they go out. If there had been a choice of "on some occasions", I would have said yes to it. I did vote the wrong way by voting yes on the question the way it was asked though. I need to learn to read better before I click! :o

2kitties
06-05-2003, 02:41 PM
The way my boys like to lie on the heat vents and stay warm or the way the cuddle up on my lap..... no way they'd be happier out in the elements.
They're a part of my family. I don't live outside and don't expect them to either.
Once, Taz escaped for an overnight adventure. He never got further than a large bush by the front door. Poor fellow.

Indoor kitties!

CoolBabe22
06-05-2003, 06:40 PM
I love outdoor kitties.I think they have the bestest little purrrsonallitys!They are way active!And thats my opion that I posted.

moosmom
06-05-2003, 07:13 PM
Yes, but you failed to answer the most important question of the entire thread...

ARE THEY SPAYED AND NEUTERED???

carole
06-06-2003, 05:46 AM
I personally would not have 100 per cent outdoor kitties, and i do agree spaying-neutering is a must especially if they are outdoor most of the time.
Maybe coolbabe22 situation is not ideal for the kitties, but in reality they probably would have been put to sleep, as we all well know there are more kitties than furever loving homes available, it may not be ideal to us, but they are sheltered, feed and loved from what she says, so i guess you just have to weigh that all up.

shais_mom
06-06-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by CoolBabe22
I love outdoor kitties.I think they have the bestest little purrrsonallitys!They are way active!And thats my opion that I posted.

I don't think the cats personality is changed whether they are outside or inside.
My Kylie is indoor only and has the most laid back, sweetest personality of any cat I know.
Funny how I said that without being 'mean'

CoolBabe22
06-09-2003, 02:43 PM
Funny how I said that without being 'mean'
:confused: What is that all about?:confused: I wasn't mean so who are you talking about??:confused:

Cataholic
06-09-2003, 03:17 PM
How strange, three days later you pop back in to stir up trouble, and ONCE AGAIN, DO NOT answer everyone's question...are your 100% outside cats spayed/nuetered?

I am thinking they are not, OR you would have assured everyone long ago....

CoolBabe22
06-09-2003, 03:26 PM
i don't know how to say this but whos biz is it?

GoldenRetrLuver
06-09-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by CoolBabe22
i don't know how to say this but whos biz is it?

Whos biz is it?? You are the one who asked the question! and you dont even want to tell us??? I agree in 100% INDOOR kitties and SPAY AND NEUTERING. Fixing your cat or any animal is the LEAST you can do for them...they live better that way. Also, if your 100% OUTDOOR cats arent spayed and neutered you are just adding to the over population with strays, cats in shelters, and being euthanized...:( :mad:

carole
06-09-2003, 03:59 PM
I have to say this coolbabe, you made it everyones business when u came on here, again the advice you have been given is good advice, i dont know if financially you can afford it, and i think you are quite young, but try hard and save a little to get those adorable cats fixed, its best for them and the community, too many starving, uncared for kitties around. ok.

ScantyNebula
06-09-2003, 04:53 PM
See this is what I hate .. people not taking responsability in controlling the pet population .. If her mom doesn't want the cats in the house she should neuter them, simple as that.

IttyBittyKitty
06-10-2003, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
Whos biz is it?? You are the one who asked the question! and you dont even want to tell us??? I agree in 100% INDOOR kitties and SPAY AND NEUTERING. Fixing your cat or any animal is the LEAST you can do for them...they live better that way. Also, if your 100% OUTDOOR cats arent spayed and neutered you are just adding to the over population with strays, cats in shelters, and being euthanized...:( :mad:

Agreed.

Coolbabe, whether or not people neuter their pets is EVERYONE'S business as it is a SOCIAL problem. We, as the general human populace, have an implied social contract, or responsibility, to care for all animals, whether or not we own the animals. As a hypothetical example, if you knew that your next door neighbour was abusing their cat or dog, you would step in, right?

Whether or not your cats are happier outdoor is a moot point: if they are allowed to reproduce, then your parents are responsible for the creation of unwanted cats. Let's not beat around the bush here, Coolbabe, you say that you love cats, so you would be as disturbed about the idea of cats being put to sleep as the rest of us are. Especially cats that you became attached to when they were kittens.

It is not your fault that your Mum refuses to desex the cats, but Lord knows, I'm sure that you would be able to get help from a local shelter, animal welfare group or even your vet. Please, at least try!

Cataholic
06-10-2003, 08:13 AM
IttyBittyKitty,
I don't think I could have said that any better even if I had spent two weeks penning the response.

How true. Animal overpopulation IS a social problem. It is OUR social problem. Not acting responsibly is morally reprehensible.