PDA

View Full Version : You will not believe this story.....

lhg0962
12-02-2000, 01:27 PM
Hopefully this link will work. This is a horrible story and I can not believe that something like this could happen anywhere, let alone in my area.
http://www.greenvillenews.com/news/1202011.HTM

[This message has been edited by lhg0962 (edited December 02, 2000).]

ownerof3dogs
12-02-2000, 02:30 PM
That is so sad, But the worst think is that offircer had been there several times and never looked in. You can't tell me that they couldn't smell the feces outside.

Pam
12-02-2000, 02:59 PM
That is very, very sad. We have had a couple of cases in our local paper and on the news in the last few years with people being found living with 100+ cats. It is some sort of mental illness that makes people react this way. I don't believe they are really trying to hurt these animals. Their thinking is just very, very warped. They say that no one else will care for them as well as they do, and don't stop to think that they aren't caring for them at all!! In the cases that I have heard of there was also another person living in the home. You would think the other person would have been able to stop this behavior. That's what puzzles me. I know it's not extreme like those cases, but last night I was in the mall. I stopped at the pet shop there to admire the puppies and was very saddened to see all of those cuties living in cages hour after hour and day after day. I know they are clean and fed, but it really gets to me. I don't even know why I stop to see them because it always makes me sad. They reminded me of "merchandise" instead of LIVING puppies. I walked away very sad, hoping that they all find good homes though I guess that is wishful thinking. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif

lhg0962
12-02-2000, 03:24 PM
I could not agree with either of you more. I truly believe that this elderly lady must have thought she was doing something good, but my goodness, what a warped view of "good".
I personally can't stand the smell of one trip to the litter box by my cat. I just scoop away. Can you imagine what it would have been like to live in this trailer with 140 dogs? I can't help but wonder how many of them will survive this...... http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif
As for your comment on looking at the puppies, Pam. I have trouble even going into a pet store because of the precious puppies and kittens. I always want to take all of them home, just to rescue them from that frightening environment. Reality is that they will be quickly replaced.

ktreva52
12-02-2000, 08:48 PM
Well, this is far from the first case of this I have seen. When I worked at PetsMart in Indianapolis (PetsMart does NOT sell puppies or kitties -- they offer space for groups to bring animals for adoption), there was a breeder that came in regularly to purchase food for her dogs. This went on for a year after I started there and then she got raided just like this woman. The woman I knew bred chow-chows and really had no idea of who bred with whom and essentially lied on the registration papers (so I've been told) to get them registered and sell them for more money. Thank God someone put a stop to her, but many of the dogs were vicious and had to be put down. If I thought I could support them, I'd bring home every stray or petshop animal I could, but sometimes we just have to "harden" our hearts a little to keep them from breaking entirely. It makes me sad to think people haven't anymore sense than this. On the other hand, how in Heaven's name could those people stand being in the same house with all that? How would you walk around? How could you keep from gagging all the time? I'm not a great housekeeper, but the dogs go outside for potty and I'll clean up from there. How could she afford to feed 140 dogs??????? Was she feeding 140 dogs????? I'll bet the majority will be put down for malnourishment and the ones left will be the high-ranking ones who may have behaviorial problems. So very sad.

carrie
12-03-2000, 08:40 AM
Very sad, as you say how can it go on with no one noticing? We have our own collectors over here and it always makes me ill to see the conditions their animals are kept in. These people are not evil but truly believe they are acting in the animals interest. Instead of fining huge amounts wouldn't it be a good idea to remove the animals and pass a sentence of a year's work at a really good kennel? They would learn how to take care of the animals and actually realise how cruel they have been instead of just getting angry about the fines.

ktreva52
12-03-2000, 10:20 AM
Carrie: THAT would be a much better method of dealing with it. If these people cannot afford to keep these animals in better conditions, they sure as heck cannot afford the fines listed in the article. The only problem I can see is people not showing up to work at the kennels, but they could make it a probation condition like for people who have been in jail. Work or pay. These folks seem to have all the good intent without the common sense.

Pam
12-03-2000, 11:24 AM
Wonderful idea Carrie!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

KYS
12-03-2000, 11:42 AM
Ditto for me too, That is a wonderful idea
Carrie.
You are not only helping the animals but teaching/helping the woman as well.

[This message has been edited by KYS (edited December 03, 2000).]

dogncatluvr
12-04-2000, 04:15 PM
Carrie,

I agree too, that would be an excellent idea. Now how would one go about getting something like that put in place? Anyone have any ideas?

ktreva52
12-04-2000, 06:00 PM
Legislature! It would probably take a petition of some sort to a State Congressperson or Senator (I can never remember who introduces what bills). You could also write an editorial to your local newspapers to stimulate interest in this type of thing. The thing that is most important is to determine who the fines go to and whether or not that branch of government would be able to handle the "work or pay" enforcement. It would probably fall under animal rights or housing and urban development, but I'm not sure. Have no clue how it would go in the British Isles. I wonder if Animal Control would be the agency to enforce it? Hard when you have none as so many counties in Tennessee lack. It might be of use to contact your district representative and get that person's input on how to go about doing such a thing.

[This message has been edited by ktreva52 (edited December 04, 2000).]