PDA

View Full Version : Charlie's bloody claw

marysmerrycats
06-01-2003, 09:52 PM
I was cutting the cats claws today, and I saw that one of his back claws looked slightly pulled, and was bloody. dried blood and fresh too! I cleaned it with peroxide and he growled so I blew on it and he calmed down. I patted it 3 or 4 times with peroxide and cotton ball, then I put him in his carrier for an hour and ahalf. then I let him out. it was cruel but I had to give it time to heal a little... and I have put all the (3)
kitty condos on their sides, I don't want him climbing right now.
why do these things always happen on weekends? it might be nothing or he might need an antibiotic. I'm going to check on it again tonight and dab more peroxide on it. then call the vet in the morning. did all the cats claws today except couldnt do Louise so I had to bring her up to petsmart today and she cried the whole way there and home! just like George and Henry cried in the car yesterday.

a good argument for declawing cats is that they would never have to have them trimmed again, and that makes it easier on them as well as me... but I am NOT going to do that, I would NEVER do that to them... so don't worry. and I know how horrible it is to do to them. I just hate chasing them(Louise and Charlie) around the room every 2 weeks.

IttyBittyKitty
06-02-2003, 03:23 AM
Awww, poor little darling! Chasing around after sooo many cats to clip their little claws must get tiring! I've never had to worry, as all my cats have been great "scratchers" (part Siamese!) so they take care of their own claws. I just keep an eye on them.

Thank God! I remember back in the days when I did have to clip claws.

BastetsMum
06-02-2003, 03:50 AM
The vet told me (after Bastet had an accident and tore her claw to make it bleed) is (once you have cleaned it mind you) to get a clean bar of soap and rub the claw across it. You don't need to put too much pressure on it. The soap needs to be unscented and have lots of lanolin in it. This not only stops the bleeding and infection from getting in but cats hate licking it!

It worked a treat and didn't cost me a lot in vet bills either.

I have Bastet's *claw soap* in her first aid kit in case she ever does it again.

marysmerrycats
06-02-2003, 01:25 PM
Bastets mom, thanks! I should do the soap thing but I just can't rest til they see him...

I called the vet to see what they thought, and the vet said to bring him in, so tomorrow(not today?!!) at 11 AM. I have to watch it close today. it is probably nothing, but this morning I saw him shake that foot and he licked at the claw a few times... so better safe than sorry. thats $35 to just walk in the door! but I don't want to take a chance on it possibly being infected, so.. :eek:

BastetsMum
06-02-2003, 03:38 PM
Let us know how it goes. I know vets are so expensive. :eek:

marysmerrycats
06-02-2003, 03:45 PM
Bastets Mum(now I see its mum not mom, sorry)
I will post an update tomorrow. I know it is ok, but, I just want to bring him in, seems Im so anxious to part with 35! I tried to see if I could also bring Patches and combine this visit with their yearly shots etc, but they are not due til the end of Aug... I got them in July, I don't remember waiting that long to have them seen by the vet! I have to look up old records...:confused: I waited awhile when I got Muffin, because she had had some shots,a nd belonged to my nephew first, but then I found out she had not had them all, so the next month after I adopted her I brought her in.. but with all the others I brought them in right away...

Candy16
06-02-2003, 03:57 PM
Oh, poor Charlie! Thank goodness Mommy was there to take care of him right away. When my cat Tiza hurt her paw, she hid for about 3 days, making me absolutely sick that I couldn't find her. But she soon came out, and seemed to be perfectly fine. I think it's a wonder how animals can naturally heal themselves! Keep us updated... :)

marysmerrycats
06-03-2003, 07:27 PM
Charlie had really ripped the claw, it was just hanging by a thread...the vet cut it, and said it would grow back. and she put peroxide on... and gave Charlie a RX for a week of antibiotics...2 X a day for a week. I will mash them in his food.(sooo the kitties get canned food twice a day for the next week. Im sure they will love that!) the claw started bleeding again, not alot, but any blood is toomuch for my baby! the poor little guy!

so he is at home resting now, and I am at my mothers playing with Muffin! it's time to go home and give him his medicine now... Charlie HISSED at the vet, that open mouth, hssssss! I have never seen him do that before!

slick
06-03-2003, 08:28 PM
Poor Charlie!!!! Did you hiss at the vet?? You must have been really upset. Please be good and take your meds.

marysmerrycats
06-03-2003, 09:38 PM
tis me, Charlie.. yeah I weely upset and I very scared today. first, my mom make me go in that cage, and then we go in that noisey machine to that place, and there are lots of strangers there...then we go in a room, and one lady look at me, I not like that! then another lady come in and her look at me and touch my foot... so I HISS at her! Charlie have enough by then, anyone else come in room get hissed at too! but, no one else did... so then I want back in my cage, and then back in the noisey big machine thing that take me back home! then Im back with my brudder and sizterz! now I feel better.:rolleyes:
(mom is home now and say I am good boy, I took my pill like weely big boy!:D but darn her, she pick me up, just when I forgive her and let her pet me, she sneaky and pick me up... and look at my foot again! enough, leave my foot alone you dumb hooman!)

wolflady
06-03-2003, 11:16 PM
Awww!! Poor Charlie!! Ouch! Sounds so painful. I wonder what he could have caught it on. Something you might want to keep in your "kitty medicine cabinet" is something called Quikstop. It's really good for when your clipping nails and accidentally cut into the quick and the nail bleeds. I'm not sure if this would have helped in this case with Charlie, but it's not a bad idea to have on hand anyway!! :) I'm glad he saw the vet and is getting better now! Brave boy!!
**hugs**
Karen

marysmerrycats
06-03-2003, 11:30 PM
thanks Karen! I had never heard of that... but just today I got a drs smith and foster catalog in the mail and they had that in there.. I think it would be a good idea, I'm going to buy some of that.

I just now passed Charlie on the way in here... and he is so cute, he let me pet him on the head for a long time, and he looked at me, as if to say, mom I had a bad day, please give me some attention... so I did, and it has been a while since I got to really pet him like that. he usually runs away after a few minutes, but this time was very sweet. my little sweet boy.;)

NoahsMommy
06-04-2003, 01:14 AM
Awwww, poor Charlie! Glad that's all over.

Give him some kisses from me. :)

kimlovescats
06-04-2003, 11:25 AM
Ah, Good boy, Charlie... glad your ordeal is over and you are on the mend!;)

krazyaboutkatz
06-05-2003, 12:09 AM
Mary, I'm so glad to hear that Charlie is doing well. Please take care. :)