PDA

View Full Version : Is it wise to......

Dogz_Rule
12-01-2000, 10:47 PM
get a puppy you see for free in the classifieds? Because I am tempted by free Boxer pups. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

samualjcat
12-02-2000, 12:10 AM
From person experience, I say go for it. My husband found a similar ad years ago and called. When he got to the ladies house he couldn't believe it. She had so many dogs she fed them in a trough. Most of them looked horrible. A young female boxer cross jumped in his truck and refused to get out. Home she came!! After a very thorough bath and a trip to the vet (healthy though underfed) she started to thrive. She was one of the best dogs we ever had and started our love affair with boxers that survives to this day. We now have 2 more!

You'll never know what they have if you don't call. Good luck to you! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Genia
12-02-2000, 12:12 AM
I really don't have any advice, but I'll tell you of my experience. I got my dog through a free dog ad in the paper. Jeffrey is a 2 year old basset/lab mix. My parents had the same type of mixed breed dog and he was a great dog. I met with the owner and was told Jeffrey had received all of his shots, and had been treated at a particular clinic. They were giving him away because they were moving into an apartment and wouldn't have room for him. My daughter and I met Jeffrey, immediately fell in love, so naturally, we took him in. I called the clinic to have his medical records transferred to my vet and guess what? They had no record of him being treated. To be on the safe side and on the recommendation of my vet, Jeffrey received all his vaccs. He had ear mites, had an ear infection which caused him to have a temperature of 105, suffered from separation anxiety, and tore apart everything in the house when left alone (I found out later he had been locked in the utility room all the time.) One of his toes hab been ripped off, although I don't know how. I thought it was a birth defect, possibly from inbreeding. I've had to work extremely hard with Jeffrey to calm his anxiety. I'm lucky that I live near my job so I was able to come home during the day to spend time with him. We are scheduled to go to obedience classes next month. He terrifies some people by jumping on them; the only damage he will do is lick them to death (drowning by dribble http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif) Although he has "tried my patience", as my mother would say, he has adjusted well. In your case, you are talking about puppies, maybe there won't be scars like my Jeffrey has. The only advice I can offer is to consider carefully if you really want a dog. Research the breed and decide if he/she is right for you. If you decide to take the dog, first trip should be to a vet. I wish you the best of luck and I hope everything works out. As I read what I have written, I hope this doesn't sound too negative. With a puppy it will be probably different. This is my experience. My Jeffrey is a wonderful dog and I wouldn't change a thing about him.

[This message has been edited by Genia (edited December 02, 2000).]

RachelJ
12-02-2000, 08:16 AM
I am not saying whether or not you should get the dog . Obviously these dogs need a home like any other dog does. Only I would certainly be prepared for the possibility that these on not pure bred boxers. I doubt that anyone with purebred boxer pups, even without papers, wouldn't charge for them.

Daisy's Mom
12-02-2000, 01:00 PM
Sorry to change the subject but Genia, do you have any pictures of Jeffrey? He sounds adorable! I have a purebred Basset but my family and I have always laughed at what her puppies would look like if she had them with any of the neighborhood dogs, like collies, labs, Bernese mountain dogs, etc! (Don't worry, she is spayed so there will be no puppies no matter what http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/wink.gif ) I was just wonderinf what your doggie looks like!

ownerof3dogs
12-02-2000, 02:42 PM
I think you should go and look at the pups and see what they look like and how they are cared for. And if everything looks alright I would get one. But just remember that you should have Him/her fixed because you are not certain if they are purebred or have any health problems.

Rottie
12-02-2000, 06:28 PM
I have the best dog in the world that was free. Look at the puppies, and go from there.

ktreva52
12-02-2000, 08:35 PM
I'm with everyone else, go look. BUT, try not to be swayed by darling faces or a horrible environment unless you are prepared to take the baby home and keep it. That means all the equipment, yard prep (i.e., fence), vet, food, obedience plans and house rules that everyone must accept and use from the first. If these are purebred (not very likely, but possible) this will be a good sized dog and what's cute at 4 months isn't always cute at 80 pounds! One thing I would do is ask why the puppies are free? Then, if you are really ready -- go look and see what you see. Good luck and let us know.

Dogz_Rule
12-02-2000, 09:03 PM
Thanks or the great advice! I will be calling the # & finding out the address tommorow & hope fully I'll become & Boxer daddy http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

RachelJ
12-03-2000, 08:27 AM
Don't forget to let us know the whole story, whether you get the dog or not. We're all here waiting to know what happens.

ktreva52
12-03-2000, 10:35 AM
I truly hope they are healthy, happy little guys and it was just an accidental breeding (can anyone hear a DUH ringing through the air?). Perhaps these people will wise up and spay the bitch????

Genia
12-03-2000, 10:36 AM
Along the same line as Ktreva52,

I read about PersonaLogic.com through this site and I think it is wonderful for someone considering getting a pet. The best part of the site is that it tells you minimum /maximum size of the pet, avg cost to feed, type of living space required (i.e. Apartment/house w/large yard), shedding, special treatments needed, etc. Even if you already have a pet it's fun to try.
http://www.personalogic.com/

[This message has been edited by Genia (edited December 03, 2000).]

Dogz_Rule
12-03-2000, 04:57 PM
Well, I called & asked about the pups. The lady who answered the phone said she had just given the last two away. So I'm really bummed out right now, but I'll look at next weeks classifieds.

lhg0962
12-03-2000, 06:16 PM
You keep your chin up. You will find the right puppy yet. Check your local humane society and pound as well as the local newspaper. I'm sure you will find just the right baby that needs you.
You know what else, all of those babies probably found a good home. That is the best news!
Logan

[This message has been edited by lhg0962 (edited December 03, 2000).]