PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help?

petspoil
05-07-2001, 02:38 PM
My friend's dog gave birth to a litter of 5 puppies. The problem is a that the mother won't do her duty. She won't give them milk or even want to go near them. What can we do?

tatsxxx11
05-07-2001, 02:55 PM
Oh geeez. I wish someone with more experience in this area would post. I have never had a dog who had a litter, so I personally can't offer any help. I'm sure though, that if the mother refuses to nurse them, they must be hand/bottle fed round the clock. My advice would certainly be for your friend to call her vet ASAP!!! It is critical that the puppies get the warmth, fluid and nourishment they require. They are so vulnerable at this stage and every hour without sustanence puts them in peril. Please tell your friend to call IMMEDIATELY and let us know what advice they gave! Poor puppies! Please be strong little guys and girls.

KYS
05-07-2001, 06:23 PM
I agree with tats,
Call a vet ASAP, I am sure
they will give the ingredients for
a formula to make and instructions
on how to take care of them and what
to look out for.
I have never had any baby puppys, but
many years ago,
We had a mother rabbit who rejected her
new born bunny's. (only 2 survived)
I had to feed them formula through an eye dropper several times a day around the clock.
They became healthy and strong.
Good luck and keep us posted on
the pups.

wolflady
05-07-2001, 06:41 PM
Yes, your vet should be able to help you. In the meantime, a lot of people don't realize that besides feeding and keeping young ones warm, is the need to help them eliminate. Working in a rescue shelter (both for wild animals and one for cats) we have many encounters with very young animals. This might sound a little gross, but after the baby eats, the mamma usually licks the belly of the baby to get it to eliminate. They don't know how to do it themselves. What we do in the rescues is take a very soft napkin and lightly swipe their lower area to stimulate them.

Be sure to keep us posted on their progress!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif We love puppies!!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Corinna
05-07-2001, 09:56 PM
If this is her first litter she may be scared, it's a big deal We some times had this happen with a female we had we held her down and let the pups nurse. It sounds cruel but it's creuler to let pups starve usually after once or twice of holding them down(and petting and talking soft and gentle to them) its ok and they aren't scared any more. We did have one who would only nurse 2 pups (her choice of pups ) we had her spay to much work and the other pups just never seemed to reach there full potencals. If she isn't nursing this litter I personnal would have here spay. It's the fairest solution to all parties.
Also to help with the elemanation dampen the soft cloth with warm water it simulates the sliva and moistness of the moms tongue.

[This message has been edited by Corinna (edited May 07, 2001).]

Stenograsaurus
05-08-2001, 08:15 AM
The following post was listed somewhere else on this board so I copied and pasted it for you. I have never dealt with this, so I have no advice to offer but hopefully the following will help.

Most dogs are excellent mothers and problems are few. The basic rule is to seek veterinary care if she seems to feel sick of if she ceases to care for her young. Puppies nurse until they are about six weeks old and then may be adopted by new homes.

when they have puppies.here is what to do if your dog does not let a puppy feed after 10 mins of birth.Keep the babies together as long as they are about the same age; this will help socialize them to their own species and will help in keeping them warm. Try to assemble the following equipment:

THE NEST BOX

The nest box in which the babies live should have tall sides so that they cannot climb out by mistake and become chilled. A cardboard pet carrier is perfect as it is portable, dark inside, and closable. These are inexpensive and should be available from a pet store or your veterinarian.

Place towels in the bottom of the box and cover them with a diaper so the babies rest directly on the diaper. Most diapers have elastic leg holes and may have to be trimmed so they will lie flat. Expect to change the diaper several times daily. Keeping the babies clean and dry is very important.

Place a heating pad under the nest box so that only half of the nest box is warmed.
This way the babies may crawl off the warm
side of the box if they feel too hot
THE DIET

Pet Ag manufactures KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer). It comes in a powder and a liquid. The powdered form seems less associated with diarrhea than the liquid plus with the powdered form, the water content can be adjusted in the event of dehydration.

For puppies, Pet Ag makes ESBILAC. Again, both powder and liquid forms are available.

Mix up the powder according to the directions on the can. If you are using the liquid form, you may want to dilute it with one part water for every two parts of formula. As the babies get older, less water may be used whether you are mixing up the powder or the liquid. If diarrhea occurs at any time, you should add more water to the formula to make up for fluid lost as diarrhea.

Store the can of powder in the freezer after opening. Do not mix up more than a day's worth of formula. Use a blender to mix the formula several hours ahead to allow time for the bubbles to settle.
MAKESHIFT FORMULA UNTIL KMR/ESBILAC CAN BE OBTAINED

PUPPIES
KITTENS

1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup whole milk

1 tsp. salad oil
1 egg yolk

1 drop multi-vitamins (if you have any)
1 drop multi-vitamins

2 egg yolks
3 Tums (antacid) crushed

Mix in a blender whichever formula you use.

THE BOTTLE

Obtain a pet nurser bottle from a pet store or your veterinarian.

Use very fine scissors or a hot needle to make a hole in the nipple. The hole should be big enough that formula will slowly drip out if the bottle is held upside-down and gently squeezed. The nipple should not collapse when the baby is sucking.

Warm the bottle in a cup of hot water. Always test the formula before giving it to the babies. Taste it to be sure it is not sour. Do not use a microwave oven to heat the bottle as it may not heat evenly with some areas of the bottle being scalding hot.
HOW/WHEN TO FEED

Expect to feed them every 2-3 hours during the day. If this is done, the babies should be able to sleep through the night.

Do not wake the babies at feeding time. Let them sleep. When they wake up hungry, they will let you know.

During feeding be sure to tip the bottle so that no air is swallowed.

Play with/rub them after feeding to "burp" them.

Occasionally small amounts of formula will come out of the nose. The baby is drinking too fast. If excessive amounts of formula appear to be coming out the nose or if you are concerned, call your veterinarian.
URINATION/DEFECATION

Infant animals are unable to take care of these matters alone and must be given help. Normally their mother's tongue does the job as she washes them. Use a Q-tip, tissue, or your finger to gently rub the baby's genital area. Have a tissue ready to catch the urine.

Rubbing the anal area as well may also be necessary if the babies do not seem to be defecating as much as expected. Watch for diarrhea. Normal infant stool is normally very loose but should not be watery.

[This message has been edited by Stenograsaurus (edited May 08, 2001).]

Rottie
05-08-2001, 12:15 PM
You'll have to bottle feed them. If you're lucky you might find another mommy in the area who still has milk but whose puppies are old enough that they don't need to nurse anymore. If you can't find one, they have to be bottlefed.

petspoil
05-08-2001, 12:36 PM
Thanks very much for all your concern. I will tell my friend and keep you posted on how things are going.

tatsxxx11
05-09-2001, 05:41 AM
How are the babies doing??? Hope the one pup has started eating! Please give us an update when you can!

tatsxxx11
05-09-2001, 05:50 PM
I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear the pups are doing! Paws crossed!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

*LabLoverKEB*
05-11-2001, 06:22 PM
petspoil-
I have very little experience with newborn pups- but I can suggest one thing: CALL YOU VETERNARIAN IMMEDENTLY! It's the best thing you can do. your vet can help you more than anyone! So, call the vet!!!!!! I really hope the pups live!!!! Good luck!!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

aly
05-11-2001, 06:26 PM
Call the shelter. They may have a surrogate mother for the puppies. We did this when a dalmatian at the shelter had a huge litter of pups and couldn't care for them all.

karlicat
05-11-2001, 06:34 PM
aly- have you watched 101 dalmations too many times? http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/wink.gif just kidding. Just an extra tip, stroke the babies from time to time all over- it feels like a mom's tongue. It might also stimulate good circulation, but i just made that up. it's not a bad idea though. Aly how is reece, even though this is the wrong topic?

aly
05-11-2001, 06:57 PM
karlicat: We just got in from using the bathroom. Wasn't good. He's still got diarrhea but at least he can hold it and control it now. The thing I'm worried about is he was straining a lot with nothing coming out. Then he walked bow-legged for about 7 minutes afterward because I think he still had to go but couldn't get anything out. I hope this does not mean there is a blockage http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif