PDA

View Full Version : Calling all ADKINS dieters....

Cataholic
05-31-2003, 04:47 PM
Along with my boss, I am beginning the Adkins program tomorrow. Silly me, I thought it was June 1st today, so, I spent forever trying to locate the 'plan', couldn't, and found TWO recipes online. Great, should be a lovely month rotating two dishes...NOT!

Anyone out there have a good site for the 'allowed' induction phase? I know one PTer that was on it..and, I am going to PM her now...anyone else, PLEASE help me out. It is going to be a very, very long June....

mugsy
05-31-2003, 07:31 PM
I will ask my friend who did the diet and see if she knows and I'll let you know.

NoahsMommy
05-31-2003, 07:34 PM
Two small warnings on the Adkins diet....

1) Make sure you get enough fiber. Too much protein is NOT good for your heart or digestive system.

2) Make sure you get enough fat...if you don't have enough fat, your body cannot absorb nutriants.

You know I'm coming from a good place...I've been told this by a few doctors and also read it in a recent Woman's Fitness magazine and I want you to be healthy.

:) Love, Me :)

Pam
05-31-2003, 07:36 PM
My daughter's mother-in-law and sister-in-law were on this diet and lost a ton of weight. Unfortunately her mother-in-law put most of it back but her sister-in-law is doing just fine. I know several other people who have gone on it but I could never. I take my hat off to you because I am a carb freak. I really think I could become a very unpleasant person to be around without my carbs! :D Good luck to you though! Keep us posted!

Oh, and you aren't the only one who has your days mixed up. I thought today was June 1st also and put a tape in the VCR to tape Breed All About it because June 1st's show is about poodles. I wound up learning about Bassets instead. LOL!

aly
05-31-2003, 07:56 PM
Are you just going to be on the diet for one month? I've heard its not very healthy if you're on it long term. My uncle lost 26 pounds in a month on it. I could write him and ask for tips.

Denyce
05-31-2003, 07:58 PM
I too tried out a version of this diet a while ago. And now my doctor wants me to go back on it. I am an insulin resistance diabetes 2 patient. My body just does so much better with more protein in my system than carbs. Frustrating in one way because I love my carbs so much but rewarding because I also love meat. But when I was on the diet the first time I found a great message board and wonderful support on www.thinner.com I was able to find links to sites online where you could purchase low carb foods and great recipes. There are also some good recipes at www.allrecipes.com.

Good luck. The diet I went on was called Protien Power. My doctor liked it better than Atkins. Just remember...not all diets are for everyone. While you can lose weight on it if you don't feel well then it isn't for you. Just like some people do better on a higher carb/low fat/ low protein diet. For me it would eventually kill me. Also remember that the slower you take the weight off the longer you will keep it off. Losing weight quickly just shocks your body and doesn't allow it to adjust well. As soon as you stop the "diet" you will gain it all back quickly. I have found that I have to just realize I am not on a "DIET" I am doing a forever lifestyle change.

Denyce :)

Cataholic
05-31-2003, 09:04 PM
We are doing the two week induction period for one month. It isn't and won't be a way of life for either of us.

One thing I never get...if I can put on fifteen pounds in a month..why is it unhealty, or some other ill fated proposition if I take it off in a month? My answer- it ain't....

If anyone gets any links to the Adkins diet menu...please let me know. Thanks.

carole
05-31-2003, 09:58 PM
I do wish you luck with your diet, however i personally donot agree with the ATKINS DIET, i have had friends who have done it, it works like any other diet, but for how long, can you live this way for the rest of your life, its not the diets that fail, its the DIETER unfortunately.
I am a avid supporter of WEIGHT WATCHERS and only believe this to be the most sensible healthy way to eat, we all should eat this way.
Well good luck, the battle of the bulge is always a hard one to win, and anything is worth a try i suppose.:)

PayItForward
06-01-2003, 06:00 AM
why is it unhealty, or some other ill fated proposition if I take it off in a month? My answer- it ain't....

It is not ill fated but stats wise, you are very likely to put it back on again.

PS. I have lost 3 stone just though eating less and trying to reduce fat. I think that is the best way to go.

Cataholic
06-01-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by PayItForward
PS. I have lost 3 stone just though eating less and trying to reduce fat. I think that is the best way to go.

I agree with you, completely. I was just looking to jump start this thing. As to 3 stones loss, congratulations. I don't know what a stone weighs, but, any loss is good.....the only stones I know of are the ones I throw at my neighbors, and the ones that are 'passed'...he hehe..

ps...before you say, 'typical American...no sense of any system but their own, I am going to look it up right now! Stones v. Pounds.....

smokey the elder
06-01-2003, 08:17 AM
I think a stone is 14 lb, so losing 3 of them is quite an accomplishment! Congratulations!

Cataholic
06-01-2003, 08:17 AM
1 stone = 14 pounds....

GOOD GOSH! That is 45 pounds!!! I have a renewed sense of congratulatory feelings coming to you. That is absolutely fantastic. I think I need to lose just about 2 stones. Saying it in stones instead of pounds is WAY nicer....he he he...

Cataholic
06-01-2003, 08:19 AM
Thanks Smokey the E...I was looking it up on askjeeves.com while you were posting. Apparently, you have a better conversion brain than I...I had to 'look it up'...I can hardly remember the conversion of inches to feet to yards!

AmylovesMisty
06-01-2003, 09:49 AM
My dad is on the diet..he got the book called the all new diet revolution...maybe you could get that instead?

anna_66
06-01-2003, 06:18 PM
Now Johanna, Mark & I are both asking ourselves this....why do you need to go on a diet, your so small as it is! Plus, you being the "gym natzi" I wouldn't think you'd have to diet:p

carole
06-01-2003, 06:25 PM
CONGRATULATIONS , that is indeed a great effort, i managed to loose a stone last year and kept it off and boy its hard at this age, my advice GET IT OFF AND KEEP IT OFF while you are young, did you all know a fact, if you loose weight too fast and cut down on fat, you can increase your chance of getting gall stones, so be careful, slow progressive loss it always the best.

carole
06-01-2003, 11:43 PM
Now before anyone shoots my statement down in flames, i read this in a local newspaper, all to do with health and weight and fitness, i cannot remember the details and how this happens, but its a fact, i also know being overweight can increase your chance of gall stones as well, ironic really isnt it? DAMNED If you do and DAMNED if you dont so to speak

lynnestankard
06-02-2003, 04:56 AM
Good Luck Johanna - I've not been on the Atkins Diet but two close friends are on it at the moment - they' ve been dieting for a month and one friend Fiona has lost a stone (14 pounds) and is happily - but slowly going back to eating a more normal diet. However, the other friend Maureen has only lost about 5 pounds and simply cannot understand whats going on. She has the book, the recipes, you name it. I do wonder if it actually suits some people better than others.

I do know there's a lot been written and broadcast about this diet - but all I say is - give it a go and if it works - YIPPEE! If not - DON'T get upset - maybe your not supposed to lose this weight!!

Just a thought - before I had my gall bladder removed (three weeks ago!) I was on a fat free diet and actually lost weight quite painlessly. So I could include carbs., rice, pasta, potatoes and bread - just had to forgo the fat - and it didn't bother me too much. In fact when we came back from our two week holiday in Spain I'd lost 8 pounds - and had eaten lots and lots - but no fat!

Glad to report that even though I'm now eating normally - I actually have a dislike for fatty food, and so far am keeping the weight off. And I'm eating chocolate - heaven!

Lynne