PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else with this problem????

rg_girlca
05-31-2003, 04:10 PM
Hi everyone. I would like your opinion on a not so nice subject, but here goes. I have a male Lhasa Apso who is about 11 or 12 years old. Not sure of his exact age as he was rescued off the streets.
Anyway he has a very nasty habit of licking another dogs pee and it just gets me annoyed to no end when he does this, as I'm afraid he might get sick by doing this.

Does anyone else's dog do this and could anyone tell me why they do it??? I've had Buddy now for 9 years. He started doing this just this year and I'm sorry to say, but it really grosses me out. When I catch him doing it I grab his mouth and give him a stern NO, but no matter how many times I do this, he still has this nasty habit.

Any suggestions on what I can do about this would be greatly appreciated.

Tonya
05-31-2003, 05:04 PM
My old pit-sharpei Rosco used to do that. Yes, it is disgusting! I think for Rosco, it was kind of a way to show submission. He seemed to do it when he was intimidated by the dog. I think you are doing the right thing. Just a stern no should work eventually.

tikeyas_mom
05-31-2003, 09:01 PM
my aunt has the same breed and her dog doesnt have this problem. But I have herd of it. Most dogs do this as a way to mark their territory. it is groose, yes, but it is just like a dog sniffing another bottum, identification.

rg_girlca
05-31-2003, 09:02 PM
Thank you for responding Tonya, but there are no dogs around when Buddy does this. He just finds a spot where a dog has recently peed and starts licking. :mad:
I hope you're right with me giving him a stern NO eventually works.

Tonya
05-31-2003, 10:23 PM
Oh, no. My Rosco was much much grosser. He drank the pee from it's source if you know what I mean. :(

Dogz
05-31-2003, 11:22 PM
Oh, I have seen one dog do that, and yes, it is gross, and I think if you keep telling him no, it might work eventually.:)

rg_girlca
06-01-2003, 11:44 PM
Oh Tonya, yes that is gross. I have never heard or (THANK GOD)
seen that before.
That requires a real big EEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW.
My stern NO to Buddy hasn't stopped him yet from doing this but it better soon.

Tonya
06-02-2003, 12:50 AM
I am so embarrassed. I can believe that I even admitted that. lol