PDA

View Full Version : A Minnie Set back?

Cataholic
05-31-2003, 12:29 PM
Yesterday, Friday, was a bad day at the ranch. It appears Binx made a visit into Minnie's closet, got into her food, water, and made her pooh on herself. :( She is not hurt. I have held her, cut out the pooh, tried to clean her up a little bit. I washed her bedding, and relocated the litter box into her closet (it was in the room), so, that she had a self contained unit.

At first, while washing her bedding, I put another rug in there. It is a rug I bleach, so, when she started sitting in the litterbox, I thought it was of the smell. So, I quickly got her normal stuff in there. Well, she won't sit anywhere but in the box. She is laying down in there right now!

Last night, I closed the door to the room, something I hadn't done in the last few days..to give her privacy. I let Binx out twice last night (whole 'nother story, there), and both times, Minnie was out sitting on the window sill. So, I know she isn't hurt.

But, why is she sitting/sleeping in the litter box???

AmberLee
05-31-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
... But, why is she sitting/sleeping in the litter box???

This is just a wild guess, but it seems to be a comfort thing when my crew do this. Usually there's been some sort of stressor just before or during this retreat.

Poor Minnie. Purrs and headbumpies from my furkids hoping she'll bounce back quickly.

Cinder & Smoke
05-31-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
But, why is she sitting/sleeping in the litter box???

Well, our Mr Boots nebber found a cardy-board box he dint like :)!

How bout findin a nice big box fur Miz Minnie to have in her klozit?
Maybee cut a kupla doorz an winnowz innit - leave the cut flapz attached on one side or the top - FLAPZ are phunn ta play wiff! Toss in a towel or maybe sum papur ballz...
Sorta build her a lil Klub Howze innna klozet.

Nudder thing ya mite konsider -
Get a kupla small Eye-Hooks and a short piece of Light Chain...
Screw the eye-hooks into the door frame and one onna door;
"OPEN" the eyes enough to slip the chain on;
then "adjust the chain" to allow the door to *open* ONLY wide enuff to let Minnie pass through - and Too NARROW to let Big Brudder Binx get more thane his big hed :eek: inside her klozit room! :D

You COULD do this same trick to the bedroom-to-hall door, too. But then that would let the rest of the Kitty Herd into Millie's Sanctum-Sanctorium - which might be rushing things a bit.

The combination of a Play Box/Hidey-Hole; and the Binx can't get me chain on the closet door - might get Mille to feeling pretty safe - and willing to give up hanging out in the litter tray!

Good Luck, Minnie! :D

krazyaboutkatz
06-01-2003, 12:55 AM
My Cirrus has also jumped in the litterbox when he's felt threatened or stressed out. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I guess it's just a safe haven for some cats. I sure hope Minnie gets over her fears soon. Good luck.

Cataholic
06-01-2003, 06:32 AM
Last night, while at the computer, she came out and jumped on the window sill. This am, she was sitting on the chair in the room. I was able to come in and let Binx out the back door.
She then went into her closet, sat in the litterbox, and HISSED at me. :( she hasn't hissed at me in at least 8 months??? I am so sad.

Phred, your suggestions are great. I do have a sort of latch to the door now, with scarves and a heavy weighted kettle on the floor. I had left the kettle away from the door Friday. I am concerned about doing anymore construction to her hidey hole. She 'used' to live in a box, then, she moved into the closet. I guess I will give it a few days, and see.....

While she is acting set back-ish in some ways, she is still sitting on the windwow sill, on the chair...but, she isn't sitting in the doorway to the closet like she used to...

Barbara
06-01-2003, 07:26 AM
Poor Minnie. Dogz have no sense for privacy:rolleyes:
I hope she will come back to her normal self soon....

PayItForward
06-01-2003, 07:33 AM
Poor Minnie Girl. Hoping you settle down quickly.

catmandu
06-01-2003, 10:47 AM
It is a thing that kittens do when theyfirst arrive to sleep and stay in the litterbox. So Minnie is just reverting to her old ways , nothing to worry about!

catland
06-01-2003, 11:26 AM
oh sweet Minnie, did that big Binx boy scare you?

take care little girl.

kimlovescats
06-01-2003, 11:30 AM
Try not to worry! All my my ferals have reverted back to the litterbox sitting behavior anytime they are frightened as well! Usually in a day or so, they feel comfortable again, and go back to sleeping in more pleasant surroundings!! ;) I think the fact that she is still coming out into the room is a very good sign, and I'm sure she will come back around completely in a few days. Mine always go back to questioning my loyalty to them as well anytime they are frightened. The good thing though, is each time, they take less time to decide I'm trustworthy again!!!;) :)

NoahsMommy
06-01-2003, 01:42 PM
If its a set back, I would say its a minor one. A lot of the cats at the shelter sit in their litter boxes and Hermoine did it last night when we first brought her home.

Minnie will remember her comfy bed and rug soon. :)

Not sure if you have tried this...but I've read on here a lot that classical music is calming to cats. I've actually never tried it until yesterday on the way home from the white coats for Micah.

He wanted out of his port-o-prision so badly. I asked David what classical station came in in our area and as soon as it was on, Micah laid down and shut his eyes. I was blown away!!! It works.

Maybe you could play some music in Minnie's room??

shais_mom
06-01-2003, 11:32 PM
I can't help you much but I do agree that I don't think it is a major setback. Poor Minnie, poor you and poor Binx for causing trubble!
:(
Please know you are in my thoughts!

ramanth
06-02-2003, 09:41 AM
*hugs and head bumpies to Minnie*

I'm sure she'll bounce back after having the big galoot in her face. :)

HayleyRosie
06-02-2003, 10:17 AM
Poor Minnie. Headbumpies and scritchies coming your way.

catland
06-02-2003, 12:38 PM
How is Minnie doing today? Any better?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-02-2003, 01:47 PM
Poor Minnie. :( Phred had some great suggestions and unfortunately I can't add anymore, but hopefully this is only a minor setback.

How is she doing today?