PDA

View Full Version : Got back from the clinic, good news and bad news

wolfsoul
05-30-2003, 07:30 PM
The good news is that I probably don't have hyperthyroidism, but most likely stress.

The bad news is that he isn't sure if it's either, as he's never seen anything like this, and he's giving me a blood test on Monday :(

I'm soooo afraid of needles, scared out of my mind!!! I almost started crying when he said it. And now I'm bouncing off the walls, I can't stop clapping my hands or jumping up and down, or turning in circles because I'm so anxious! He needs to put the needle in that part of your arm under your elbow...Where those veins stick out...I can see them....They are right there...And a needle will be going in one on monday....a couple days...I'm going out of my mind!!! :( :( :( :o

I'm going to buy some emnella (sp??)...I'm going to see if he will stik the needle in my back instead..I have so much pain in there already that it won't bother me...But I don't think he'll say yes...Only because I already asked him if he would give me laughing gas or any other drug so I'm dillusional and he said no :rolleyes: I also asked him if he had anything that would make me faint, but apparently he doesn't, so I'm going to rely on the needle to make me faint...

Please pray that I faint, I don't want to be awake for that! :eek: I know I'm a big baby, but I just hate needles, and I hate to see blood...:(

NoahsMommy
05-30-2003, 07:44 PM
I did too....until I found the glorious power of what an IV can do when you're in extreme pain.

I have to have my blood tested every six months and while its not the most fun thing in the world, its not that bad. I used to be terrified of even setting foot in a doctors office...

He most likely wont do it himself. My advice to you is to drink a ton of water, it makes your viens come out more, so its easier and MUCH faster for them to hurry up and get the blood.

Tell the nurse that does the draw that you are afraid. They are used to people being scared and will talk you through it. I find comfort in talking until its done, with my eyes closed.

You'll be OK, I promise. When its over, you'll be all done and you'll wonder why you were so scared. Trust me...I've been there. ;)

moosmom
05-30-2003, 07:44 PM
Wolfsoul,

Good luck! Maybe him finding out exactly what is causing your hair loss is worth a little pain. I know that's not much of a consolation. Did you ask him about Halopecia??

wolfsoul
05-30-2003, 07:50 PM
Thanks for your replies :)

Did you ask him about Halopecia??
No, I've never heard of that :confused:

He did tell me something odd, he said that if the test came up negative he would send me to either a neurologist or a dermotologist (my mom heard dermo, I heard neuro lol, we weren't exactly listening, I was still coming over the shock of hearing about the needle). So I'm not exactly sure why, or whatever...:confused:

slick
05-30-2003, 07:50 PM
Don't you have anyone who can go with you??? A second person can be a great comfort. I don't have blood taken that often but when I do I take a real big breath in just before the needle goes in and exhale while the blood is being taken. That way I concentrate on my breathing and not what's going on. Be strong because if this blood test can reveal what's happening then you will be so relieved. Good luck and I'll be watching on Monday for an update.

binka_nugget
05-30-2003, 07:53 PM
ohhh Jordan be brave! I know it sucks but it'll be over in no time. And it's definately worth it to do something now than later. Think about your dear sweet fur babies instead of the needle when you're waiting for them to do it.

wolfsoul
05-30-2003, 07:55 PM
Don't you have anyone who can go with you??? I'm going to ask one of my friends :) My mom refuses to go with me after what happened last time :rolleyes: I screamed and cried, and uggh..:eek:

slick
05-30-2003, 08:00 PM
Good! I was hoping you wouldn't be alone - you need someone there for support. Sorry I can't be there for you.

Tweety_Pie
05-30-2003, 08:45 PM
I know this is way different, but i just got my hep B shot at school 2 weeks ago. All you have to do when your getting the needle is breathe and count down from 10. If you can't, just think of your pets, it will take your mind off the needle.

I don't think that was a big help, but oh well lol.

popcornbird
05-30-2003, 10:03 PM
I used to be TERRIFIED of needles, but we travel a lot and thus have to get travel shots, so I kind of got used to them. Don't worry, they don't hurt. Just a little prick and that's it! I'm sure a pet bite or scratch hurts WAY more. Be brave! Its nothing to fear! I had one a few months ago and I just closed my eyes, and it was over in a flash! :D Then my mom kept asking me what the big deal was (since I made a huge fuss before going) and all I could do was this........:p ;) LOL

RockyRoad
05-30-2003, 10:17 PM
Ouchies. Feel better. I had to get 2 shots yesterday. :( And I got my blood test last week, it didn't hurt that much. I was terrified too, but the lady just told me to look at the poster of a wolf that was hanging up. It's not really that bad whenI think about it, but I always get scared despite that. :)

Best of luck!!

Think about it this way -- at least you didn't have to get stitches. ;) That's a lot worse.

wolfsoul
05-30-2003, 10:46 PM
Thanks for all your replies :) I'm not feeling as bad about the needle now. I'm going to get my friend to give me a massage while it's done, lol. That may help.

I'll let you all know how it goes! Thanks again! :)

aly
05-30-2003, 11:05 PM
Don't you go trying to faint now. Needles aren't so bad! I give myself 3-4 shots a day.

When I get a blood test, I get woozy if I watch them, so I just look the opposite direction, focus on an object, and put my mind in another place. It works really well.

Good luck with your test and try not to let it stress you out too much.

AmberLee
05-31-2003, 12:41 AM
Just wanted to reiterate Noah'sMoms comment about the water. It helps me a lot.

Good luck! It will be such a relief to you to have this behind you and know what's causing these problems. {{{hugs}}}

HoRsELUvR
05-31-2003, 07:36 AM
When the doctor gives you a blood test,don't think about what's happening,and itll be over before you know it.Like Aly said,dont look at the needle.

wolfsoul
05-31-2003, 11:57 AM
Thanks guys :) I'm so happy that I got such kind and helpful replies :D

Cookiebaker
05-31-2003, 04:34 PM
Hey Wolfsoul,

Please don't hate me, but I worked as a phlebotomist in the hospital. It's not that bad, really it isn't. Ask the person if you they have a reclining chair. Lean back and just close your eyes and try your hardest to RELAX!!! And just remember this, if you give them a hard time, they might not get it on the first time, and will hafta go twice. I KNOW it's not fun, but really it takes a MINUTE or LESS!! Also, when you tense up, it hurts a lot more. Remember to breathe, focus inwards, and allow all your muscles to relax.

Let us know how it goes. We'll keep everything crossed for you. And You'll Do JUST FINE!!! :)

smokey the elder
06-01-2003, 08:49 AM
First of all, I was hyperthyroid once. This is very easy to treat/manage.

About needles: as part of being diagnosed for the aforementioned problem, I got stuck a lot. There are two things that you can do. One is ask them to use what is called a butterfly needle. This is a very fine gauge needle and the smaller the needle the less it stings. The other tip is DON'T Look at it.

Good luck and I hope everything comes out all right.

If you have any questions about hyperthyroid, you can PM me. I've researched it to death. :)

wolfsoul
06-01-2003, 01:34 PM
Thanks guys :)

I'll try not to look at it, but it's just so hard lol. It's also harder to know that it's going to happen. Ive been socked in the head a million times, but it's not as bad when it's unexpected lol.

I'll ask for the butterfly needle :) OMG, I can't believe this is tomorrow! I'm still so scared! They won't even tell me my blood type...:( >_<

popcornbird
06-01-2003, 01:54 PM
You don't know your blood type? :confused:

Its nothing to fear. Don't worry!

Here's what you should do. Sit back, relax, give them your arm. Imagine you have your arm out for your ratties and they are climbing on you arm. Put yourself in *pet paradise* in your mind while it all happens. Put the needle thoughts aside. Before you know it, it'll be over!

Personally I close my eyes when the needle's going in, but open them while they are taking the blood. (You can't feel it once the needle's gone inside). I like to watch the blood zooming through the tube. Its pretty neat, and I wonder, OMG. That's MY blood :eek: But its not bad at all. Trust me.

wolfsoul
06-01-2003, 02:13 PM
You just got me thinkig...:D....think I should bring the rats? lol...hmmmm....They do say that petting an animal will calm you...;)

kingrattus
06-01-2003, 09:57 PM
if u faint they wont take ur blood. My sis fainted cause she was very sick & they had to stop taking blood, because they no longer had her consent. She had to get pricked a second time the next day.. so no fainting

Nomilynn
06-02-2003, 01:27 AM
You can also ask to lay down. That is what I always do. I always feel like I will faint, so I lay down and at least then I know I can't fall anywhere hehe :)

I have to get a blood test every three months. It sucks, but it's over fast and it certainly isn't as stressful as all the worry we let ourselves feel before hand (me included - I hate them). Good luck! :)

lynnestankard
06-02-2003, 05:10 AM
Oh Wolfsoul - I really feel for you - my daughter Elizabeth is needle-phobic too - and at 24 could make life very difficult for her.
People cope really well with a child making a fuss about needles - but somehow when your a young woman - no sympathy.
Concentrate on your breathing - don't hyperventilate - just slowly in and out, counting the breathes can help too. Don't look at the needle - if you have your Mum or a friend with you - look into their face and get them to hold your other hand - don't you hold theirs, you'll squeeze and so tighten up - they must hold you're hand. The initial 'prick' in the arm is a matter of seconds and once in you can't feel it. Sorry but they have to use the veins on the inside of the elbow, they won't be able to take the blood from anywhere else. You'll be fine - just breathe. You'll be in my thoughts, and we expect an update telling us how much you weren't bothered by it! {{{Hugs}}} across the miles.

Lynne

wolfsoul
06-02-2003, 10:05 AM

Well, today's the day...:(....Apparently it's my choice if I want to do this, so I may still chicken out lol....I was actually ready for it, I wasn't that scared, until I remembered where they have to stick the needle :eek: Why can't they just put it somewhere else? I have lots of viens..Why take it from that particualar one..Its a really sensitive spot...You know how when something pricks you in a sensitive spot, your initial reaction is to thrust it upwards? Yeah, well when I do that, I'm going to shove a needle in my arm :eek: :o

No clue if I'll do it yet...I think I'll go, see if I have any other options (like putting the needle in a different place :rolleyes: ) and see how it goes...

Thanks again

micki76
06-02-2003, 12:12 PM
Jordan you better go! That's actually one of the best places to have your blood drawn from. If you'll relax, and think about something else other than anticipating it, you'll find it's really not that bad. I know it can be scary when you haven't experienced it a lot, but there's a lot worse that can be done you. Believe me, I know! You'll do fine. The most important thing for you is DON'T LOOK at it. Seeing it is the worst part. :) And all nurses and Dr's are different. Some are very good at doing it and you won't even feel it, while others are not quite as gentle. I have it done about once every 3 months. I think you've had someone who was very rough in the past, but hopefully you'll get someone very gentle today. Good luck and go for it!!!!!

popcornbird
06-02-2003, 12:16 PM
I thought it would hurt in the arm too but it didn't. You have to go now. We'll make you. :p Be a good girl and get that blood test, and don't give the doc/nurse to many problems! :p

Sudilar
06-02-2003, 02:01 PM
It will be over in a flash!! I think all the worrying beforehand is worse than the draw itself! Good luck and let us know how it goes!!!

wolfsoul
06-02-2003, 10:12 PM
Good news for me lol. I didn't get the needle :D I got my mom to call our family doctor, and she wants to check me out first. She says if I'm not hyper all the time, that I shouldn't have it and that a blood test shouldn't be necessary. She wants to take a look and see for herself.

I told my mom that I should go to her, she's smart and the doctors at the clinic are really stupid lol. One time I had pnuemonia and bronchitis and they told me I had allergies :rolleyes:

micki76
06-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
She says if I'm not hyper all the time, that I shouldn't have it and that a blood test shouldn't be necessary. She wants to take a look and see for herself.

It’s a very common misconception that if you have hyperthyroidism, that you will be hyper. Not so! I was no more or less hyper before or now than I was during the hyperthyroidism. My energy level was about the same, except that I had occasional episodes where I wanted to go go go, but I felt too zapped to do anything. Regardless of whether or not someone thinks you have a thyroid problem, it can only be diagnosed with a blood test. I personally think you need the test, but I also think you need to be tested for several other things as well. All good Dr.’s will check your thyroid, your blood sugar levels and your white blood cell count as well as a CBC. Most illnesses and deficiencies can be detected with blood work, even several cancers like mine, especially if the Dr. does a thorough exam and tests for several possibilities.

wolfsoul
06-03-2003, 09:56 AM
oooh..darn :(

Because she said that I should be bouncing off the walls all day :confused: >_< ahk...that sucks..

So when I go there, I guess I'll get a needle anyways lol...arggh, shoulda gone yesterday lol :rolleyes:

But I have to admit, it was pure relief not to go lol ;)