PDA

View Full Version : Not very good news....

Cookiebaker
05-29-2003, 06:11 PM
Well, it's pretty official as of today, and it's VERY depressing. We found out about a month ago that as of January 1, Mark will no longer have a position in his job. The company is refusing to call it a lay-off and thus no severance benefits. :mad: On the plus side, his boss (who had NO say in this decision) is trying everything within his power to get another position so that he has another job at least. So if you think of it, please keep us in your prayers as the future has suddenly become unknown and scary. Thanks!!

slick
05-29-2003, 06:20 PM
Cookiebaker: I'm sooo sorry. Of course you will be in my prayers. I've been working ever since graduation (1970) and have never been without a job. Can't imagine how scary this must be. I'll keep you in my thoughts. Please keep us updated.

Miss Meow
05-29-2003, 06:32 PM
Oh no, that's not good. Does the company have union or industry representatives who can bat for the workers to reinstate their severance benefits?

Good luck and will be keeping paws crossed that he finds a better job quickly.

carole
05-29-2003, 06:42 PM
I can empathise with your situation , as we too have been there, my husband was laid off , no severance pay etc, from a well-paid job, we had to survive on unemployment for a short time until he got his present job, he loves his new job, so thats the positive side of it, unfortunately we had to take a huge drop in pay of around 12,000 dollars a year, but hey he is much happier, and as he is the bread-winner, i want that more than the money,except when i want MORE CATS BOO HO0,
So i know what you are going through, and its very scarey indeed, but hopefully for you as well there will be a positive side to it all, good luck and thinking of you at this difficult time.

wolflady
05-29-2003, 09:37 PM
I can definitely relate to this one!! Prayers are on the way so that Mark finds a job soon. I was laid off recently with no severance as well, and my stress levels have gone out the roof. It takes two salaries to support this house in Cali (it's so gosh darn expensive to live here! :rolleyes: ugh), so unemployment will only help us so much. Looks like we're both on the job hunt. Hopefully something better will come along!
Thinking of you,
Karen

Cookiebaker
05-29-2003, 09:39 PM
Thank you all so much for your kind words. Just the reassurance that others have/are going through this is comforting. We do have a 7 month warning and hopefully things will change between now and then!!!

Thanks again!!!

mugsy
05-29-2003, 10:19 PM
Mike was without work for 2 months after his company laid him off with NO notice. He went to work one morning and they called him in and he was home by 9:30 am. He still hasn't found a computer job, but, he at least has had a job now for almost a year and a half.

anna_66
05-30-2003, 09:31 AM
Anna,
You and Mark will be in our prayers.

It's so hard these days not knowing what's going to happen from day to day, if you'll still have a job when you go into work. I hope everything works out for the best. Who knows, maybe he can find an even better job than the one he has now! Tell him good luck!

I Love Brian, Forever <3
05-30-2003, 09:33 AM
Prayers are on the way anna. I know what you are going through, as it's an everyday thing for me. My mom's b/f quit his job in January... he STILL doesn't have one. I don't know where I'll be living in a month. It's been like this since the last 6 months.

I hope all goes well for you guys!

lovemyshiba
05-30-2003, 10:44 AM
That's awful!!
I'm sorry to hear this news--I'll be thinking of you and praying that Mark finds another job quickly. Thank God you have such a long time though--some people get a week or 2 (or even less) notice, and have to find a job!!

ramanth
05-30-2003, 10:48 AM
My prayers for you and Mark. *hugs*

PayItForward
05-30-2003, 11:40 AM
Thinking of you & Mark, hoping thing work out for you.

marysmerrycats
05-30-2003, 12:37 PM
so sorry to hear this... hope things get better for you very soon!

ChrisH
05-30-2003, 05:07 PM
Anna, you and Mark are in my prayers.

Love & hugs
Chris

shais_mom
05-31-2003, 12:02 AM
You will be in my thoughts
and prayers!

IttyBittyKitty
05-31-2003, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by mugsy
Mike was without work for 2 months after his company laid him off with NO notice. He went to work one morning and they called him in and he was home by 9:30 am. He still hasn't found a computer job, but, he at least has had a job now for almost a year and a half.

The same thing happened to my partner, Scott, who is also in I.T. He was unemployed for over a year, so I got him a job in the company where I used to work. I am no longer there, but he still is, impressing the heck out of managment with his excellent I.T. skills.

Hang in there, Cookiebaker, things will get better. Perhaps he should use the seven months to find another job - and give THEM the ol' heave-ho. I think it is truly digusting how corporations treat employees these days. No longer is employment about a mutual respect between the employer and employee and an attitude of "treat me well, and I will work hard." These days, employees are a commodity, so often traded in for a slight increase in share prices. We are all slaves to stockholders and hostile takeover bids. Can't increase profits by securing more sales? Try screwing your employees, it works wonders.

Grr. Sorry to rant and rave, but I think that the current world economic system is absolutely stupid. Reprehensibly so, considering that so many are poor and go without basic necessities. :mad: :mad: :mad:

HoRsELUvR
05-31-2003, 07:21 AM
i am sorry your husband lost his job.I hope his boss finds him another job soon.

wolf_Q
05-31-2003, 11:04 AM
So sorry to hear this! I hope things will be getting better for you very soon. :(

Albea
05-31-2003, 11:41 AM
I do hope Mark will find another job he likes long before his current one ends.. Good luck!!!

Cookiebaker
05-31-2003, 04:22 PM
Thank you all so much for the prayers and words of comfort. They are very appreciated! I'll keep you posted as we hear stuff...

smokey the elder
06-01-2003, 08:53 AM
Being unemployed is the pits. Let everyone you know, know that he's looking. Seven months notice, even without severance could be OK.

Public companies are the pits. I have the great good fortune to be working for a privately held pharmaceutical company, and what a different environment!