PDA

View Full Version : Heat Wave

K & L
05-28-2003, 10:31 PM
It's been in the triple digits here lately and the park cats have really been draggy these past couple of days. We go feed after the sun has set to give them a chance to cool off and want to eat. This is the time of year I feel the worst for them. Winter's here are so mild so it's easy to provide shelters. Summer's on the other hand, what do you do? They have lots of shade and hiding spots, but it's never cool.:(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-29-2003, 10:26 AM
I suppose setting up a sprinkler is out of the question? I don't know if that would help anyway since cats really don't like water. I'm not sure what else you can do for them except make sure they have plenty of shade and plenty of water to drink. Poor kitties....but like you say, at least they don't have to put up with the harsh winters like we have in Chicago. :)

Uabassoon
05-29-2003, 11:04 AM
This is what I do for our strays that eat on our porch (yes we have gotten them all spayed and neutered). Fill up those plastic 1 gallon milk jugs with water and freeze them over night. Then put them in their favorite shady spots, I've noticed that the cats like to stay close to the water jugs since they are cool.

K & L
05-29-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
This is what I do for our strays that eat on our porch (yes we have gotten them all spayed and neutered). Fill up those plastic 1 gallon milk jugs with water and freeze them over night. Then put them in their favorite shady spots, I've noticed that the cats like to stay close to the water jugs since they are cool.

That's a great idea! I will try something like this. I wish there was a way to set-up some type of a mister system, but being in the park there's no water hookup available. Thanks for the idea!:)

Catsnclay
05-29-2003, 02:14 PM
Wow! What a good idea!! I'm glad you told us Uabassoon!

K & L......my neighbor saves all her 1 gallon milk jugs, I will get some for you!

Lisa.......why didn't you think of this????????? :) :D (just joking)

lynnestankard
05-29-2003, 03:16 PM
I hope those kitties have the sense to sleep through the worst of the heat during the afternoon K & L - {{{Hugs}}} across the miles for the wonderful work you do - in all weathers.

Lynne