PDA

View Full Version : vacation

lute
05-28-2003, 03:16 PM
we are going on vacation for a week or more this summer,and we don't know if we are going to be able to take my dog beanie. should i....
leave him with my friend that has way too many dogs and doesn't care for them propperly?but he will be better taken care of (i think) and inside.

or leave him with my aunt who has a sheltie that is too wild and i don't know if he will be able to stay inside.

or ask one of my neighbors to watch him. i don't know any of them very well and they are almost all old people.

i would board him in a vets office or something,but it is too expensive....$50 a day or $75 a day.

any ideas???:confused:

hulabird
05-28-2003, 07:06 PM
I am going through this right now myself, only it seems my only option may be a kennel, but ours (which is actually a very well known police dog training facility in Dyer Indiana) only charges 14.00 per day and the dogs stay in their own 5'x5'x6' dog run that has a 12' dog run attached to it that goes outside. My problem is that I have never had a dog before and I am having a panic attack about leaving him anywhere. I may even not go on the vacation because the thought of it is making me upset. If I were you, and i had a family member that was responsible and loved pets, I'd go with that over a kennel.

lute
05-30-2003, 12:54 PM
i would,but i just don't have a responsible family member. i am the only animal lover in my family.....i'm sure something will come up.

lovemyshiba
05-30-2003, 01:02 PM
Neither of your options sound very good for Beanie. Have you checked with your vet?? Maybe they know somewhere you could take her that is less expensive, or maybe they board themselves--ours does--she took my 3 the day we moved--they loved it!!

anna_66
05-30-2003, 01:13 PM
Have you ever thought about a housesitter?

Uabassoon
05-30-2003, 01:17 PM
You could try a professional petsitter. If you go to www.petsit.com you can find one in your area.

CamCamPup33
05-30-2003, 01:42 PM
anna thats what i was thinking.. have someone come to the house feed him let him out play etc, or just hire someone to stay at ur house to watch him.. I would love to come and watch him cept im kinda far away :rolleyes:

Tonya
05-30-2003, 02:40 PM
The boarding place I take my dogs to play with the dogs and whatnot. They charge $12 a day for the small dog and $14 for the big dogs. I got to know the owner and employees because I used to take my dogs out there for training. You should try to get to know a boarding place and its employees. If they really love animals, they will understand why you are hanging around. P.S. I don't suggest boarding him at the vets. At least at my vets, they are kept in those small cratelike cages 24/7.

Tonya
05-30-2003, 04:58 PM
One more comment on boarding at the vets. I think that the dogs would be more stressed at the vets because they can smell sickness and death there.

lovemyshiba
05-31-2003, 09:08 AM
I was worried about the vet's too, but our's doesn't keep them in those cages--she has a room in the back, with large pens set up for them, and a few of those smaller crates, but those are for the smaller dogs. She has a separate room for the sick animals, so everyone is kept apart.
My dogs love our vet, so they really enjoyed staying there.

lute
05-31-2003, 10:01 AM
the prices i told you were at the vet. they keep them in the cages........thanks CamCampup;) ........i guessi can find someone that can come to the house and watch beanie and my bird.

we may take him with us,but our chances of that are slim.:(

CamCamPup33
05-31-2003, 10:04 AM
;) welcome.. anytime ;) this is funny this came up.. my sister was boarding her dog at the vets office and she said the lady was screaming at them :mad: it made me so mad.. so i told my sister to ask her what was going on and supposedly they were getting "rowdy" so i dont know if i would wanna board my dog anymore :eek: i couldnt belive it.. just thought i would share it with u!

RubyMutt
05-31-2003, 10:08 AM
I like the idea of housesitters. When my parents & I went to Yellowstone last summer my boyfriend stayed at our house and took care of the plants & pets. It was nice for Ruby because she was able to stay in her own home. It was nice for us because we knew they were in good hands, safe at home, and it wasn't nearly as expensive as boarding Ruby and finding other people to take care off the hamster & plants....

lute
05-31-2003, 10:28 PM
ya, camcam pup that's what i'm scared of....i'm scared if i don't take my baby he might be hurt or sick or die or anything could happen!

carole
05-31-2003, 10:54 PM
Please just dont leave him with the friend who has too many dogs and does not look after them properly that would be absurd, the petsitter idea is worth a try good luck.

Dogz
05-31-2003, 11:17 PM
Oh, Good Luck!
I like the idea about the website www.petsit.com.
You could see if they have any petsitters in your area, and if they don't, you could get a housesitter.