PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Books

Edwina's Secretary
05-28-2003, 10:38 AM
Has anyone read The Life of Pi ? It is the story of a young Indian boy whose family has a zoo. His family is lost at sea and he survives the sinking in a life boat....just him and a 450 lb. tiger.

I haven't finished it yet but was quite taken with his thoughts on zoos. (Be warned....there is also a horrifying scene in the life boat!) But the discussion of animal behavior, anthropomorphism, man vs. animal, etc. is very interesting.

babolaypo65
05-28-2003, 11:32 AM
OOHH. sounds interesting. Thanks, I'll look for it.

lbaker
05-28-2003, 12:19 PM
Who is the author? My library is quite good at bringing in any requested book they may not already have.
Laurie

Edwina's Secretary
05-28-2003, 12:50 PM
It is by Yann Martel...

Crikit
05-28-2003, 06:44 PM
I haven't read it myself but I do know that it's been the bestselling book this year...at least for the chain that I work at.

AmberLee
05-28-2003, 08:27 PM
I've heard so much good (and weird) about it that I had to buy it, but haven't taken the time to read it yet. Are you really enjoying it?

Edwina's Secretary
05-28-2003, 08:59 PM
Are you really enjoying it

Actually I am. Someone recommended it to me. I saw it in the bookstore, read the back cover...thought "no...not my type"....look around some more...went back to it twice and finally bought it. There is a difficult to read part...a bit gorey...but some of the observation are really thought provoking. And the writing is outstanding!

lbaker
05-29-2003, 07:21 AM
I looked it up on the 'puter and found a sample, the first page (about sloths :rolleyes: ) and immediately started to get sucked in.. weird. Haven't gone to the library yet - maybe this evening. Has had great write-ups. Thanks for the suggestion.
L

marysmerrycats
06-07-2003, 02:29 AM
sounds interesting...

boy we have quite a few threads going about books.
what about biographies? what good ones has anyone read? i want to get the new book my Hilary Clinton!

has anyone read the book by Frank McCourt/?that was a good biography.

popcornbird
06-07-2003, 02:35 AM
In biographies, I always liked Helen Keller. She amazes me; how she made so many accomplishments being deaf, blind, and unable to speak, all at the same time. :(