View Full Version : Future computer? Help please...

wolf_Q
05-28-2003, 01:25 AM
I'm going to be getting a new computer for my Birthday. I have to pay for a pretty good part of it. I want to get a really nice one though. I'm into digital editing and stuff, so I wanted one good for that.......also I have a digital camera, and a digital camcorder, which would work great.

I know how to *use* computers, but I don't know all that much about the processor, etc. on them. I do know I want a nice sized hardrive though (I have LOTS of pics!) My dad knows more then I about those things.......he's been looking on the net for computers.......

This is one we've been thinking about. If anyone could give me some opinions on it, I'd appreciate it! Thanks! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2731956406

p.s. the computer I have right now has been running on a 4 GB hardrive since like last christmas :eek:

captain
05-28-2003, 01:49 AM
It looks like it says it is 120GB :eek: - WOW, plenty of space.

Also said DVDRW - which means DVD Read Writable burner??? If so, that is pretty good too.

Make sure it has plenty of RAM.

My current PC runs off a 4 gig hard drive (all the programs are there), but I also have a 40 gig hard drive for my music, graphics, and web pages. Works well for me.

Good luck!!!!

wolf_Q
05-28-2003, 01:56 AM
Well my 4 GB hardrive is also loaded up with LOTS of pics! It's dying a slow and painful death.....

Yes the DVDRW can burn dvds. I wanted that feature because I have a digital camcorder, and the computer comes with dvd making programs....it'd be cool to "make" my own movies. :) I did a little bit of video editing in high school.

boscibo
05-28-2003, 02:24 AM
I have the almost identical model - mine is a PCV-RX670. :)

I got mine about a year and a half ago, cost $1200 then. The only difference I can see is mine only has a 80 GB HD and a 1.8 GHz processor - I think it's plenty fast.

I take a lot of digital pictures too (although not many videos), and since I have 2 Sony digital cameras, the memory stick slot comes in handy. Does your camcorder have the IEEE 1394 (firewire) capability? I really don't know that much about camcorders, but I know if I ever get one that is the best way to hook them up to the computer.

The DVD Writer is cool, but I really haven't used mine that much since blank DVD disks are expensive and our DVD player is picky about the type of disk it takes - I use the CD-RW more.

I really have no complaints about this computer, and I like Vaios so much that I bought another Vaio (a laptop) just a few months ago.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-28-2003, 01:26 PM
When I was looking for a laptop, the techs at gateway told me that because I do a lot of pictures, I definetly want no less than 512 mb of RAM. Looks like this computer has it, so it should be a good one. I got the 512 mb of RAM on a single card, which frees up the second spot for an additional 512 if I ever feel I need it, and they also told me it would be just slightly faster that way too. This one doesn't seem to say if it's on one card or two, but either way, the rest of the computer looks good! Good luck with it.

I know I wanted a pretty much top of the line computer when I got my laptop because I wanted it to last awhile. I knew if I got anything else I'd be upgrading in a year or less, so I went for it and got top of the line everything on it. Cost a ton of money, but I think in the long run it will save me money by lasting more than a year or two. :)

slleipnir
05-28-2003, 03:25 PM
That looks good :) I believe Pent. 4 are one of the best processors out there right now :) 4 usb ports would work for your digi cam etc, 120 gb is awesome lol mine has like 30 gb and I have tons of pics :o 512 MG of DDR memory or ram is pretty good. I hear XP is good too :) Looks like a good comp :) (I wouldn't mind the DVD/cd burner either ;))

Crikit
05-28-2003, 06:42 PM
excuse me while I drool. That sounds like a sweet little computer to me and the video editing programs that are included are fairly decent from what I understand.