PDA

View Full Version : Rat Diet Questions

AngelZoo
05-27-2003, 10:04 PM
Be prepaired, I will be asking LOTS of questions.

Cheerio's. How many of these and how often can rats have these, Toshi LOVES them.

Also I got him some Sensible Choice Dog Food (lite formula) how many peices of that should he get per day in his mixed food?

Desert Arabian
05-27-2003, 10:24 PM
Hmmm...I usually mix the cheerios in with their seed diet. There is about 8 pounds of seed mix in a tin drum. I mix about 3-4 cups of cheerios in. As far as I know, they can have cherrios as much as they want...it doesn't hurt my babies.

I give my rats Innvoa dry dog food, and there is about 4-6 cups mixed in the seed. They also get IAMS wet dog food about once every two weeks or so...sometimes more.

Keep in mind I have 8 "piggys", that is why there is so much food. :D

AngelZoo
05-27-2003, 10:26 PM
I thought Iam's and such had too much protein in it for rats? Plus I wouldn't buy Iams, come heck or high water.

He's not on a seed mix, I've read they are suppose to need more then that, a lot of fresh fruits/veggies/grains, little meat products and sweets.

Most of my pet rats until him were always on a random seed mix and then some human food here and there.

Desert Arabian
05-27-2003, 10:38 PM
The vet said it is o.k if I feed them IAMS. They don't get it that much, only once and a while as a treat.

AngelZoo
05-28-2003, 10:35 AM
Check your PM's :)

I Love Brian, Forever <3
05-28-2003, 10:42 AM
AngelZoo--- a question for you.

What is so wrong with Iam's?

Thanks!

AngelZoo
05-28-2003, 10:57 AM
check your pm's too :)

luckies4me
05-28-2003, 11:23 AM
Click the links below to go to my feeding articles:

http://www.geocities.com/luckies4me/feeding.html

http://www.geocities.com/luckies4me/feeding2.html

It gives you aproximate amounts for Cheerios too, talks about food not so good for rats, veggies and fruits that are good for them etc. :)

I also agree with the Iams thing, too much fat and protein for rats, and well I wouldn't ever use it anyway! :mad: