PDA

View Full Version : cheap cat toys

SANDY FROST
05-27-2003, 12:08 AM
My Baby Baxter loves to play with
a ball and jack set from a toy store. Get the plastic jacks. That way if you step on them they won't break. He loves to pick the jacks with with his paw or mouth.

We play fetch.or he entertains himself
for hours. One time I found a jack in a water bowl.
Sandy Frost:)

PayItForward
05-27-2003, 06:33 PM
How cute... Do you have a picture of him ?

SANDY FROST
05-28-2003, 01:44 AM
Sorry but I don't. But he has hours of
fun the jacks.
Sandy Frost

catmandu
06-22-2003, 09:58 AM
BJ plays with crumbled paper , Michael likes the plaTIC TABS FROM THE BREAD , AND jUKE jOINT jOSEPH IS IN LOVE WITH PAPER BAGS!And check out the Dollar Store as they sometimes they have Toys , Bowls and Treats , well priced!

AvaJoy
06-22-2003, 12:29 PM
The latest cheap toy I've discovered is to take a big cardboard box and cut holes around the sides with a box cutter in varying areas; high and low. If you have more than one cat, one can jump in the box while the other is outside, and they stick their paws through the holes trying to get each other. If you only have one kitty, put him/her in box and take a teaser toy to entice kitty near the holes. Fun for all! :)

koxka
06-23-2003, 03:58 PM
What are jacks?:rolleyes:
Avajoy, I have to try the cardboad with holes, guess it's so much fun for the kitties.:D

Lerah021399
06-24-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by koxka
What are jacks?:rolleyes:
Avajoy, I have to try the cardboad with holes, guess it's so much fun for the kitties.:D

These are jacks:
http://www.closeoutservices.com/assets/items/jacks.jpg

SANDY FROST
06-24-2003, 01:55 PM
Nice photo of ball and jacks. Also another
cheap toy is pipecleaners that you can buy at the craft stores. I wrap one around my finger and when I take it off it is a coil and my cats go ape over them.
Sandy Frost

koxka
06-25-2003, 01:01 AM
Oh,Thank you I see.....guess a trip to the toy store is in order:rolleyes: Have never seen the kids palying with that tohough.

Kona & Oreo's mom
06-26-2003, 10:17 AM
Petco, PetSmart, etc. sell plastic jacks that are cat toys. I think they come in a little bag of four. Kona loves them, too! But you are right about stepping on them--gosh that hurts!

koxka
06-28-2003, 04:51 AM
Yestarday , we went a toystore, that have pretty much this kind of things, but they dind't know about that one:(
Could be it's only a USA toy? :confused:

L. Wayne
06-30-2003, 12:22 PM
Koxka, Although a more sophisticated toy store may not carry jacks. In the USA, most all grocery stores have these types of children's toys. Have you checked there?

......wayne

SANDY FROST
06-30-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by L. Wayne
Koxka, Although a more sophisticated toy store may not carry jacks. In the USA, most all grocery stores have these types of children's toys. Have you checked there?

......wayne

THANKS!
SANDY Frost:)

koxka
07-01-2003, 02:02 AM
Wayne, have never seen this toy before, so I though a fancy toy store that import toys could have it., but nope.

I have 11 nephews & nieces :D , if it was a "regular" toy I may have seen it.!

Running Wolf
07-01-2003, 09:23 AM
A friend of mine’s cat loved to play with (beer) bottle caps. I saw her learn that the cap only glides with the smooth side down. If the cap got tipped over she would bang the side of it with her paw to try to flip it over. She would do that once or twice and if it didn’t work she would pick the cap up with her mouth and try to flip it that way.

I seem to remember as a kid that you could make a rolling toy from a toilet paper roll, a rubber band and a paper clip. You attach the paper clip to the rubber band and then glue (or otherwise attach) it to the spent toilet paper tube. You twirl around the paper clip to get the tension of the rubber band and then let it go….. I forget if it is supposed to roll on it’s own or just make noise.

Now that I remember that I think I will have to make one for my little fuzzy to play with.

mesiecat
07-01-2003, 03:36 PM
My boys love pipecleaners, but not the kind from the craft store, the kind you buy in the pipe tobacco department. These aren't so fluffy and they little fleks of metal to make them more bendable. My macaroni will find the package, open it, and steal them.

SANDY FROST
07-01-2003, 04:28 PM
I love it. Stealing pipecleaners.
Sandy Frost:D

mesiecat
07-01-2003, 07:02 PM
Not only does he steal them ,he will then bring them to us, and we will throw them, and he fetches. He will drop it at your feet, to be thrown again. He loves to jump into midair and catvh. If he is being ignored, he will jump into your lap, and deposit the pipecleaner.

SANDY FROST
07-01-2003, 11:04 PM
The pipecleaner story sounds all to familar
with my Baby Baxter who is four years old.
Sandy Frost:cool:

Van10
07-14-2003, 09:19 AM
My Tux goes crazy for pieces of carrot! :p
If he doesn`t end up losing them under the fridge, he can play with them for hours. He also likes uncooked large shell macaroni. :)

Van10 - Meowmy to a Tuxedo kitty

SANDY FROST
07-14-2003, 11:14 AM
Carrots hmmm,soundes like a good toy. My cat likes dryh pieces of spagghettii
to play with then he eats them.
Sandy Frost;)

mesiecat
07-14-2003, 12:42 PM
My siamese, Frankie, used to like fast-food french fries, after he played with them, he then lost them, when he found them, usually under the sofa, he would eat them. Nothing like week-old McDonald's french fries, yum-yum...

Van10
07-15-2003, 11:05 PM
Crickets and grasshoppers also make good "toys". :)
I buy a bunch of them for a couple of cents at the pet store.

They're great entertainment for cats and make tasty treats!
:D :D :D

Van10 - Meowmy to a Tuxedo kitty

AvaJoy
07-22-2003, 07:42 PM
So many great toy ideas!:D Can't wait to get some pipe cleaners, macaroni and carrots . . . I'm always making them since I'm a vegetarian. I'm not sure about releasing crickets or grasshoppers in my house . . . but it does sound like an entertaining idea! Thanks, everyone!:)

Shado
07-22-2003, 08:39 PM
Try a laser pointer if you want to drive your cats insane. They will run for hours chasing the little red light all over the floor and up the walls. Just remember to keep it out of their eyes.

koxka
07-23-2003, 01:20 AM
Yesterday I bought some crickets for the furries to play with. They go nuts when the crickets sing. They stare at the cricket and pawing the box and that keeps they entreteined.!
Later on I found that the crickit song makes me company, it remains me the summers near the beach of my chilhood :p ... so I think I will keep them as pets:D

Vio&Juni
07-23-2003, 08:14 AM
I have about thirty or more African Violets (saintpaulias) and Juni likes to play with the old leaves I throw away. She gets them from the garbage can and brings them to me to play fetch. In the beginning they look still ok, but after some time, they look pretty yucky.

Van10
07-23-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by AvaJoy
I'm not sure about releasing crickets or grasshoppers in my house
It`s definitely not a good idea to let kitties play with them inside, the darn things reproduce like crazy! :eek:
Whenever I buy crickets/grasshoppers for Tux I let him out on the balcony to play with them. :) (With supervision of course)

Tux also LOVES the laser pointer. I like to call it the `kitty remote control` :D

Van10 - Meowmy to Tux,

RICHARD
08-05-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by koxka
Yesterday I bought some crickets for the furries to play with. They go nuts when the crickets sing. They stare at the cricket and pawing the box and that keeps they entreteined.!
Later on I found that the crickit song makes me company, it remains me the summers near the beach of my chilhood :p ... so I think I will keep them as pets:D

my best friend has crickets loose in her home ( her husband has lizards) it's quite funny about christmas time....it makes you want warm weather!

did anyone explain the game of 'jacks'?

you take the jacks in one hand and spill them on the ground. you then take the ball in hand and bounce it on the ground, pick up a jack and catch the ball....you transfer the jack to your free hand, bounce the ball and try to pick up two jacks on the next bounce.....three, four, five....

they call the first round a 'onesie', the next a 'twosie', 'threesie' and so on...

there may be other ways to play the game but that is the way that i learned (very badly) to play!

:rolleyes:

Uabassoon
08-05-2003, 05:03 PM
Tibby goes nuts over straws, I usually pick up a bag of 100 which costs $1 and it lasts forever. I just take on out and tie it in a knot and she'll play with it for hours.

SANDY FROST
08-05-2003, 07:10 PM
Here is a photo of Baxter.
Sandy Frost:)

SANDY FROST
08-05-2003, 07:11 PM
Here is a phgoto of Baxter:) :D
Sandy Frost

SANDY FROST
08-05-2003, 07:13 PM
Sorry I'll Try for a better picture of Baxter.
Sandy Frost:D

Uabassoon
08-05-2003, 07:34 PM
Baxter is very handsome! Is he wearing a bowtie in the second picture?

nodgeness
08-05-2003, 09:56 PM
I have found (after buying lots of toys) cardboard boxes & shoe strings are both my cats favorite toys. Wish i had known that before i bought all the other toys :-)

SANDY FROST
08-05-2003, 11:09 PM
No the other picture is not with a bowtie.

Thankyou. I think he is handsome too.Saqndy Frost:D