PDA

View Full Version : Karen and Paul, when you started PetTalk,

Freckles
05-26-2003, 02:48 PM
did you ever think there would be PetTalker get-togethers throughout the U.S. , and even the world?:D :D
Of course, with the commom denominator of pets, what else? :)

Cincy'sMom
05-26-2003, 07:03 PM
I certainly never though I would get togher with a group of people from the internet...under normal circumstance that would scare me, but with this group we have met some wonderful friends!

babolaypo65
05-26-2003, 07:14 PM
Me too! or me neither! pet talk is my first and only online forum. It's a great place.

IttyBittyKitty
05-27-2003, 06:38 AM
I am officially addicted to this forum! Thanks to Karen and Paul for creating such a wonderful place to hang out on the 'net without fear about net creepies and offensive material! :D

Pam
05-27-2003, 07:35 AM
I may be incorrect, and correct me if I am, but I think the first Pet Talk meeting was when Logan went to Mass. and met Sandra and Karen.

Since then there have been several others ~
1) Pet Talk Texas
2) Karen & Paul met Jackie in San Diego
3) Sasvermont, CookieBaker and VermontCat met in VT
4) Pam and Christiansmommy got to meet SAS in PA last summer as Gabe made his way to Camp Vermont
4) Pet Talk PA was just held recently
5) Gini and Miss Meow have just met in Australia
6) Amberlee and Wolflady, Noah's mommy and KAK have met in California
7) The Ohio area PTers have just recently had meeting #4
8) Aspen & Misty just met LoveMyShiba

(of course the PT kitties had that party at Lut's, the doggies met at Nebo's and Popcornbird also hosted a party!) :D

Freckles, did I miss any?
:D

DoggiesAreTheBest
05-27-2003, 07:37 AM
Andrew and I drove up to SC and met Logan and Scott last August!

lbaker
05-27-2003, 08:06 AM
Karen (Wolflady) and I met for dinner & gabs in DC just a few weeks ago (right before PT PA) :cool:

anna_66
05-27-2003, 08:16 AM
I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd want to meet people I met on the internet:p But I have certainly found quite a few human & tons of doggie friends!

HIP HIP HORRAY!
For Karen & Paul!

Karen
05-27-2003, 08:33 AM
We never thought, back in 1997, that "events" would happen becuase of our site! When we first started Pet of the Day, we said, "Well, we'll try it, and see what happens!" And goodness gracious! Look what has happened - and is happening! :)

You missed one transAtlantic one -
Carrie and I met, at Stonhenge, in the rain!

wolf_Q
05-27-2003, 08:38 AM
I wish you could add my name to that list! :(

Randi
05-27-2003, 08:40 AM
John a I met Nita in Sevilla last November and again in May. :) We even stayed in her flat for 3 days with Sirocco, Nelix and Bufi! :D

I'm hoping to meet more PTalkers! :)

Rachel
05-27-2003, 08:47 AM
I don't know you guys, I think I will claim the first Pet Talk meeting when I met Sara (Rotti) and Carl at the Kane County Fair Grounds where Carl earned a leg in his obedience trial. And then later on our whole family met Leslie and her mom and of course the wonder dog (and love of Hannah's life) Graham who even stayed with us for sleepovers.

moosmom
05-27-2003, 09:15 AM
I certainly never though I would get togher with a group of people from the internet...under normal circumstance that would scare me, but with this group we have met some wonderful friends!

Ditto!!

AdoreMyDogs
05-27-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
I don't know you guys, I think I will claim the first Pet Talk meeting when I met Sara (Rotti) and Carl at the Kane County Fair Grounds where Carl earned a leg in his obedience trial. And then later on our whole family met Leslie and her mom and of course the wonder dog (and love of Hannah's life) Graham who even stayed with us for sleepovers.

We were just talking about that on our latest PT meeting in Findlay, OH. It's just so great that so many friendships have been a direct result of this site!

Yes I do believe that, as far as I know, Rachel, when you met Sara (Rottie) that was the very first PT meeting, and your meeting my mom and I, and babysitting Graham was the second. It was great and I will never forget it...nor will Graham :) His heart has been going pitter patter ever since spending time with Hannah :)

Good job, Karen & Paul, on a successful site :)

Logan
05-27-2003, 12:34 PM
How right you are, Rachel and Leslie!!! How could the oldtimers forget the pictures that Rachel took of Carl and Sarah at the Obedience Trials!!!! :o And the great pictures of Graham's sleepover at Rachel's house???? :o :o (That's a double embarassment). All of these meetings have been so very special!!!!:)

Paul
05-27-2003, 12:42 PM
   I thought Pet of the Day would be much larger. Only a few people from Pet of the Day read Pet Talk and only a few of the readers ever post. I do wish more people knew about Pet of the Day, Dog of the Day, and Cat of the Day.

Paul

wolfsoul
05-27-2003, 03:43 PM
I met Tikeyas_mom a couple months ago, and after that we have arranged sleepovers :D

Cincy'sMom
05-27-2003, 03:50 PM
These are sorta branches off the Ohio PT meetings but in addition to the big gatherings, I have met Staci at the park a few times, I had dinner with Johanna in Cincinnati a few week back and I got to dog sit for Graham and Kersey for a week!

Cinder & Smoke
05-27-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Paul
I thought Pet of the Day would be much larger.
Only a few people from Pet of the Day read Pet Talk and
only a few of the readers ever post.
I do wish more people knew about Pet of the Day, Dog of the Day, and Cat of the Day.
/s/ Paul

Hey Paul ~

Don't sound so *disapointed* :( ...

*Bigger* is NOT always *Better*!! ;)

You should be Very Thankful that Pet Talk is "small" enough that it Feels Like Family!
I doubt that the guys who run Yahoo and the other "big" sites ever know may of their members on a first-name basis!

"WE" like Pet Talk just like it is!!

You and Karen sould be quite Proud :D of this wonderful site!
No need to change ANYthing - is the way the majority of
us Pet Talkerz feel!

THANKS to You and Karen for making this all possible!

/s/ Phred & the FurKids

Cataholic
05-27-2003, 04:42 PM
Oh, and don't forget Lillycat and I meet ALL the time! He he he..

Paul, I really didn't understand what you meant about people not reading pet of the day??

Cincy'sMom
05-27-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Oh, and don't forget Lillycat and I meet ALL the time! He he he..

Oh yeah...in that case, I should add Sadie'sDad, Dakota'sMommy and 4 Dog Mother :)

jenluckenbach
05-27-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
Hey Paul ~

Don't sound so *disapointed* :( ...

*Bigger* is NOT always *Better*!! ;)

You should be Very Thankful that Pet Talk is "small" enough that it Feels Like Family!
I doubt that the guys who run Yahoo and the other "big" sites ever know may of their members on a first-name basis!

"WE" like Pet Talk just like it is!!

You and Karen sould be quite Proud :D of this wonderful site!
No need to change ANYthing - is the way the majority of
us Pet Talkerz feel!

THANKS to You and Karen for making this all possible!

/s/ Phred & the FurKids

Thanks Phred, I could not have said it better myself.

Paul
05-27-2003, 08:13 PM
   Thank you. I am glad you like Pet Talk!

Paul

Cheshirekatt
05-27-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
I wish you could add my name to that list! :(

Me too! Keep me in mind if there's ever a Northwest PT meeting!

Corinna
05-27-2003, 08:54 PM
If anyone gets to northwestern Montana Give me a yell would love a pet talk meeting here.
I can't beleive how many more have joined since I started lurking then joined about 6 months later.

wolflady
05-27-2003, 09:52 PM
I never thought I would be one of those people to meet up with people I met over the internet either, but since coming to Pet Talk I have met several people face-to-face and they all have been just wonderful! I'm really looking forward to Pet Talk California in July! Yay! Thanks for creating this wonderful place Karen and Paul. It has really helped me in times of stress, sadness and joy! :D
**hugs**
Karen

Steffi N
05-27-2003, 10:33 PM
I agree with Phred. I like Pet Talk the way it is. But new "posters" are always warmly welcomed. One thing though, it is always so nice when the purrsons belonging to the Cat, etc of the Day post with new pics and updates. Do you have any way of sending reminders to people a week or so before their pets appear.

Freckles
09-24-2003, 07:47 PM
I think it's time to update this thread with two recent get togethers:
LA PetTalk Barbecue (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28929&highlight=barbecue) on July 20th.

And, the just completed
Pet Talk Confidential (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34416) This was truly international.

:)

Any others?

dukedogsmom
09-24-2003, 07:50 PM
I am addicted as well and worry about them not being able to keep up the site. What in the world would be all do if that happened? This is a great place. I used to spend all my time on Ebay. Now I spend it here plus I'm saving money :D

puppygrrl4eva7
09-24-2003, 07:54 PM
I met with Johanna a while ago, even though I'd already met her before. I got my ears double pierced when she was with me :D

tikeyas_mom
09-24-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
I met Tikeyas_mom a couple months ago, and after that we have arranged sleepovers :D

DITTO!!!

pluse I have formed alot of close friendships over pt, with Tina, Jordan, Ashley, and a few others ;). I cant wait to goto a realy pt metting and not just lame ones that me and jordan pretend to do lol. lmao :D:D. PET TALK ROCKS!!!!

Vio&Juni
09-25-2003, 10:51 AM
Thanks, Karen and Paul for creating such a great site and for all the great job you're doing with PetTalk :)

PT is one of the greatest things in my life!

Barbara
09-25-2003, 11:22 AM
I have met Kona and Oreo's mom in San Diego and Cats'nclay in Glendale:D

And after having had this wonderful special weekend I must agree with Vio: Pet Talk is so important for me:)

ramanth
09-25-2003, 01:16 PM
The first Pet Talker I ever met was Leslie (AdoreMyDogs) and her two wonderful pooches Graham and Kersey. :)

Andy and I then went camping in Ft. Wayne, IN and we met Mike, Molly, and their fabulous crew... (during happier times... wonderful memories :) :( )

Next up would be Donna (moosmom) and her kitty brood. :D

And I follow it up with many trips to Findlay, OH and meeting Pet Talkers from all over...

Remember.. those OH Pet Talk meet and greets don't just have OH members. People come from MI, IN, IL, WI, and have even come from TX and UT!!!!

(I'd never forget you WolfQ.... you are on that list, same as me. :) )

Cinder & Smoke
09-25-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by ramanth
Remember..
those OH Pet Talk meet and greets don't just have OH members.
People come from MI, IN, IL, WI,
and have even come from TX and UT!!!!

OMG! :eek:

And don't furget the FLORIDA Gang! ;)

tatsxxx11
09-25-2003, 05:15 PM
How could we ever forget that first PT meeting with Rachel, Sara, and Carl and Leslie's trip to Auntie's Rachel's and Graham's sleepover!:eek: Logan, you'll never know how TERRIFIED I was to meet you and Helen! I mean, I was so afraid you wouldn't have a good time! But what a blast we had! We even got to meet Karen too!!!:D She was as pretty and sweet and kind and funny and smart as I envisioned her! Since then, Karen AND Paul and myself have enjoyed an annual summer lunch reunion on the Cape! Karen, Paul, you're the best! Logan, I can't believe that through Pet Talk and that first meeting, I have made a friendship that is as deep and true as any I've ever known!!:) And though I've never met Rachel, Pam, Karen (K9) and Jackie, and KYS and Sue and Connie...and so many others, they know they can include themselves in that category...best friends!

Paul, correct me if I'm wrong, but I took your post to mean that you were disappointed that more people didn't post on the Dog, Cat and Pet of the Day, not that too few were posting on Pet Talk. You KNOW, from day one, that has been my mission! I might miss an upydate on Pet Talk, but I'm determined to never miss congratulating our very special honorees! Do you remember Paul, when I first came upon POTD, I emailed you to ask why so few posted on the Pet of the Day? There were pages of pets with no congrats!!:( I spent days trying to post on past honorees! Happily, that's no longer the case!

I still think a world wide convention of Pet Talkers should be organized...I'm thinking maybe...Hawaii??? Or Europe!! Or Australia!! Or Canada!! Or any place other than Massachusetts!:D I'd love to meet each and every one of you guys!

dukedogsmom
09-25-2003, 05:23 PM
OH! A wordly PT meeting would be great! We're sort of working on that right now. At least a US one, anyway. I sure hope the Best Friends thing late next year works out. I've always wanted to go to Vegas and Best Friends! I'm already getting excited.

auggie
09-25-2003, 06:36 PM
Sandra, I think Paul was talking about very few of the nominated pet’s owners reading or posting on pet talk. In a way it is sad that we never get to see any more pictures or get to know these pets.
You have a wonderful way with words and I applaud you for taking the time to congratulate each and every pet of the day.
Unfortunately my Internet time is very limited (not allowed to surf at work, company policy), besides it takes me longer to post since I try to be very careful with my spelling.
I absolutely adore each and everyone’s beautiful pets.

09-26-2003, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by Freckles

Any others?

of course! I had numerous get-togethers with Niina !!:) :)

Former User
09-26-2003, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by lut
of course! I had numerous get-togethers with Niina !!:) :)

And continue to have more :D

ramanth
09-26-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
OMG! :eek:

And don't furget the FLORIDA Gang! ;)

:eek: :eek: :o :o :o

I'm gonna crawl under a rock now.... :o

I LOVED meeting Simba, Nala, and KayAnn. :D (curse my fool memory)

Edwina's Secretary
09-26-2003, 03:45 PM
In more or less chronological order....I met Mugsy and her brood first. She lives in my husband's home town. I met Sue of Sudilar at an adoption event, Efrat at a cat show in Miwaukee, Debbie and I have gone to pet shows (including our respective SO's) as well as when she brought over Eddie, I spent a weekend with Amberlee, KrazyaboutKats, and Wolflady in San Francisco area, and of course....last week with Barbara, Randi, Jonza, and Vio in Munich.

What a social butterfly!

Cataholic
09-26-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11

Paul, correct me if I'm wrong, but I took your post to mean that you were disappointed that more people didn't post on the Dog, Cat and Pet of the Day, not that too few were posting on Pet Talk. You KNOW, from day one, that has been my mission! I might miss an upydate on Pet Talk, but I'm determined to never miss congratulating our very special honorees! Do you remember Paul, when I first came upon POTD, I emailed you to ask why so few posted on the Pet of the Day? There were pages of pets with no congrats!!:( I spent days trying to post on past honorees! Happily, that's no longer the case!

It is EXACTLY that type of attitude that makes you such a wonderful contribution to PT, and why, day after day, I keep coming back.

sammi
09-26-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by auggie
Sandra, I think Paul was talking about very few of the nominated pet’s owners reading or posting on pet talk. In a way it is sad that we never get to see any more pictures or get to know these pets.
You have a wonderful way with words and I applaud you for taking the time to congratulate each and every pet of the day.
Unfortunately my Internet time is very limited (not allowed to surf at work, company policy), besides it takes me longer to post since I try to be very careful with my spelling.
I absolutely adore each and everyone’s beautiful pets.

Don't worry about the spellen - I don't!!!!!!;)
How are you doing? Hope to see you again sometime soon.

Karen
09-26-2003, 05:55 PM
We take our spelling ease for granted, we who grew up speaking English as our native tongue! A spell-checker is a marvelous thing, I know people who type their posts in Word or some other program with a spell-checker and then paste them into the message box!

It has been fun each and every time we have gotten to meet Pet Talk folks, and I wish I could be at every Pet Talk gathering! :)

Cataholic
09-26-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Karen

It has been fun each and every time we have gotten to meet Pet Talk folks, and I wish I could be at every Pet Talk gathering! :)

You always are, I am sure, in spirit!

Logan
09-30-2003, 01:35 PM
Logan, you'll never know how TERRIFIED I was to meet you and Helen! I mean, I was so afraid you wouldn't have a good time! But what a blast we had! We even got to meet Karen too!!!:D She was as pretty and sweet and kind and funny and smart as I envisioned her! Since then, Karen AND Paul and myself have enjoyed an annual summer lunch reunion on the Cape! Karen, Paul, you're the best! Logan, I can't believe that through Pet Talk and that first meeting, I have made a friendship that is as deep and true as any I've ever known!!:) And though I've never met Rachel, Pam, Karen (K9) and Jackie, and KYS and Sue and Connie...and so many others, they know they can include themselves in that category...best friends!

I still think a world wide convention of Pet Talkers should be organized...I'm thinking maybe...Hawaii??? Or Europe!! Or Australia!! Or Canada!! Or any place other than Massachusetts!:D I'd love to meet each and every one of you guys!

Just read this again, and it is funny to hear you say that you were nervous to meet us, Sandra!!! Helen and I were so at ease from the very first moment we walked through the door of that Inn, and there you were!!! Of course, there were a few tears, but that seems to come naturally to you and me, anyway!! :) And as I remember it, Helen and I didn't really want to leave you at all!! In fact, we stayed an extra day, as we were having such a wonderful time with you!!!!! It was wonderful to get to meet Karen too, who went to great lengths to drive to the Cape to meet us. I'm ready to meet some more!!!!! :D And I want a reunion with those I've already met!!!! :D

Cincy'sMom
09-30-2003, 03:55 PM
Since this thread was orignally started, I have got to meet even more PTers...from our guests here in Ohio from IL, WI, FL, and UT as Kimmy already mentioned, plus more new members from OH, to the Mayor and Founder themselves (a meeting she missed) to lunch with Delidog.

It seem everytime we get together at the Findlay dog park at least one person shows up for the first time....to think we started doing these outings less than one year ago and it was just be Staci and Anna...now we've had more than 25 members who have made at least one....amazing!!!

Blustang24
09-30-2003, 07:47 PM
Kay Ann and I met about 3 years ago and keep on stumbling into each other here and there... :rolleyes: :eek: :D ;)

Kfamr
09-30-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Blustang24
Kay Ann and I met about 3 years ago and keep on stumbling into each other here and there... :rolleyes: :eek: :D ;)

Unfortunately!! KIDDING, as long as you continue to bring Honey over once in a while. :p

Kater
09-30-2003, 09:23 PM

You say the word and I'll show anyone and everyone around my beautiful state!!! :D

Hawai'i would be GREAT for a PT get-together! We've got something for EVERYONE!

K9karen
09-30-2003, 11:18 PM
I love all you guys....of course a few special friendships always emerge.. a day without emails from Logan, Sandra, Rachel, Pam, Jackie, (and Sue, Amy (Wolf Q), Candy) is a day without sunshine! :( (Also all those touching, sweet PMs!) Good Job Klo!..Errr. I mean Karen and Paul (sorry, it's a habit!)

lbaker
06-07-2004, 12:00 PM
As much fun as us PT'ers have, lets not forget some of the Pets Only gatherings our furkids have had on there own :D The parties and the cruise!! Now THERE are some wild and crazy PetTalk Meetings for you :eek: ewww, I spelled "there" incorrectly, sorry - "had on THEIR own". Sorry about that :o
I always look at POTD et al, just don't always have time to comment. I usually do this first thing at work and have other stupid "real work" to do. Oh, heavy sigh.

Lillycat
06-07-2004, 05:35 PM
Paul, i loooove the pets of the day.......when i have time to spend i always at least look at the potd (incl dogs and cats, of course)...it is soooo neat to hear the love and pride each has in their pets!!!!!

anna_66
06-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Yep, thanks to Pet Talk and all of Karen and Paul's hard work not only have I made quite a few doggie friends I've also made alot of human friends and even got to meet our wonderful founders!!

I know I've said it many times, but thanks so much to the both of you for making such a wonderful forum and even being able to come to many of the gatherings around the world!

You two ROCK:D

Karen
06-07-2004, 08:12 PM
Thank you so much, everyone. It is always fun to hear of gatherings, and great to be able to be AT Pet Talk gatherings! ;) And I've even gotten to hold Moo-cat (briefly), and pet so many Pet Talk doggies, been leaned on by several of them, thrown tennis balls for some, and even got Angus head-smooshies, and hugged many-a-Pet-Talker! How great is that, huh? ;)

Cincy'sMom
06-07-2004, 08:19 PM
I think we are conintuing our trend have new folks join us every time in Findlay...adding Lizbud and Blustang to the long list of PTers I have now met.

And we have gotten some from Findlay to join too...Carrie (Gabbie Girl) and Star's mom. Though neither post very often, I know Carrie lurks a lot!

Paul
06-07-2004, 08:26 PM
   Here is a link to a radio interview Karen (http://petoftheday.com/online/karenradio.mp3) did a few years ago.

We created Pet of the Day because we know every pet is special. And we know this can, in a small way, brighten the day of many people around the world. Without you, all of our visitors, there would be no Pet of the Day.

Paul

QueenScoopalot
06-07-2004, 08:29 PM
   I thought Pet of the Day would be much larger. Only a few people from Pet of the Day read Pet Talk and only a few of the readers ever post. I do wish more people knew about Pet of the Day, Dog of the Day, and Cat of the Day.

Paul I was curious about how long this forum has been around now I know that answer! My question is what is the trick to getting a pet's picture on Pet Of The Day etc? I've sent in a few. Great place, very addictive lol! Jan

Paul
06-07-2004, 08:33 PM
   You should email Karen at Karen @ Petoftheday.com (with no spaces) and ask about your pet.

Paul

Karen
06-07-2004, 08:38 PM
I just sent you an email, QueenScoopalot!

Cookiebaker
06-07-2004, 08:47 PM
   Here is a link to a radio interview Karen (http://petoftheday.com/online/karenradio.mp3) did a few years ago.

Karen, you sound so different than what I imagined, but still so friendly like I imagined. That's a great link!! :D

Freckles
07-16-2005, 09:05 PM
It's time to add the Third Annual California BBQ!! (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67633)

And the related The Official..... (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83705)

Corinna
07-16-2005, 11:43 PM
Funny to go back and read the small beginings and how many of us have met just becouse of a web site.

K9karen
07-17-2005, 12:42 AM
Hey, Pamela! You and Robyn and Harlee just met Klo! That was our own mini mini meeting!
If all goes well, I plan on seeing our Logan and her crew this fall.
This is my only website too. I met Logan, Sandra, Pam, Rachel and Jackie around the same week and we email each other every night! And talk on the phone frequently! I changed my long distance carrier so I can call more often! My world would be emptier without all of you. Thanks K & P for everything. You're brilliant!

davidpizzica
07-17-2005, 07:10 AM
Thanks to Karen & Paul and PT, I have a lot of PT mini-meetings with Donna (moosmom!)