PDA

View Full Version : Low rumbling sound...

ellensy
05-25-2003, 10:03 AM
Precious purrs a lot and also when I place my ear near her tummy, she produces low rumbling sound, like that of a soft motor.... What does this rumbling sound mean? :confused:

ellensy
05-26-2003, 10:11 AM
errr..... does anybody know? :o

PayItForward
05-26-2003, 10:20 AM
That would be the purring......LOL

All our cats have purring engines too. :D

Desert Arabian
05-26-2003, 11:27 AM
Cats purr when they are relaxed, content, and happy. Little Sammy has a 175 HP motor in her purr box, you can hear her a mile away...when she's happy everyone knows it. hehehehehehe! :p

Cataholic
05-26-2003, 04:54 PM
Cats also purr when they are distressed and scared...as a way to comfort themselves.

Tenny, too, has the 175 hp purrer. Tex's purr is nearly non detectable. Everyone else is inbetween.

PayItForward
05-26-2003, 04:58 PM
I don't hear well at the best of times, so I sometimes find it hard to hear the cats purrs. But you can feel it when you stroke under their chin or if you hold them close, in their chest.

I can always *hear* George, maybe that is because he is so close to my heart.....:D

carole
05-26-2003, 10:00 PM
Cataholic i never knew that about cats, that they purr when distressed or scared, but u may well be right, because i thought it strange lexie purred all the way home in the cat cage when we took her from the cats league, and my friend Charlene is so upset when she had to put Romeo down because he was purring like mad before she left him, and that upset her so much, maybe i should tell her this and she wont feel so bad, thank you for that information, one always learns things on here

krazyaboutkatz
05-26-2003, 10:23 PM
Sunny and Cirrus have loud purrs while Storm has a very low purr. Storm's the only cat I've ever had that purrs constantly except for when he's in the car or at the vet. :)

ellensy
05-28-2003, 10:13 AM
i see....... so that was purring.... i thought purring is just the 'meowwww' sound that we hear from cats.....

she's my first cat... so im still kinda learning the ropes... :o :o :o