PDA

View Full Version : what makes a veterinarian good

Kater
05-24-2003, 04:14 PM
I want to hear all about what you look for in a veterinarian. This thread is a place for stories of how veterinarians have gone “the extra mile” and helped you out in ways that have touched your heart and that you will never forget. This thread is a place for stories of how a veterinarian did not meet your needs and you ended up taking your pet somewhere else. This thread is a place for your to write your favorite things about your vet, how they run their clinic, their staff and their manner. This thread is a place to complain about things that you wish your veterinarian would take more seriously.

As a future veterinarian I always try to read between the lines (however sometimes opinions are much more apparent) and understand how those on this pet board, pet guardians and what veterinarians view as “clientele” evaluate their veterinarian and interactions with him/her. I am very interested in all your opinions and would value any feedback.

Let the discussion begin!

binka_nugget
05-24-2003, 04:38 PM
Our vet is okay, I mean he isn't thrilling but he's fine. I'm not so sure if he is a holistic vet or not because I'd much rather go to a holistic vet, so we are probably gonna change vets after kai is neutered. One thing I like about our vet is that the staff is extremely nice to Kai. That's about the only thing that's really...great..other than that I think he's just a reg. joe blow vet. Some things I don't like though are that when I asked him about the barf diet, he didn't tell me enough about it. He just told me to go a buy some at this store around his location..but if I had chose to make the meals myself rather than buying it pre-made...I wouldn't know anything about the amount of food, vitamins and supplements...he didn't even tell me that I shouldn't feed kai cooked bones...Of course, I already knew that but he should have assumed that I didn't.

CamCamPup33
05-24-2003, 05:32 PM
our vet is great with cami.. i think he is soo great. i said that sorry :rolleyes: but he is soo gentle and nice to her.. i mean everytime we go he compliments how beautiful she is and how much she has grown and talks to her and hes so wonderful.. he even gives her extra treats.. ;) shh dont tell .. i think what makes a vet great is how they treat you pet.. :D

Nomilynn
05-24-2003, 06:36 PM
My vet is wonderful. With all the health problems Bassett has, I'm in there quite a bit. She is very understanding for everyone's financial situations - it's clear she is not in it for the money, but for the care of the animals. She is an animal advocate through and through, which is why I like her so much.

Also, the office has a very informal, relaxed attitude. No one wears "white coats" or anything. The vet wears the same uniforn as the techs - there is no heirarchy, and the vet doesn't come into the room with this air of professionalism that's intimidating.. she clearly knows what she's doing and knows her work and doesn't need to "prove" it.. does that make any sense? :p

Cincy'sMom
05-24-2003, 06:48 PM
The office we take our dogs to has atleast 6 different vets. Wehave never had a bad experience with any of them, however there is a difference in their "bedside" manners. My favorite is the one we see most often. She always remembers the dogs and if only one is in, asks about the other two. There is another one, who seems very knowledgeable, but is more businesslike. All the others I guess fall somewhere in between.

On a whole, I think the office is very friendly, and they always seem to squeeze us in, when neccesary. I walked in with Cincy at 6:30 one am without an appointment and she had surgery that day (eye#2). When I called another day at 4:30pm on a Friday and said Sadie had been having diharrea, they had me bring a sample over and we had a diagnosis and medcine within about an hour.

I overheard someone saying they didn't like this same office. They thought the doc seemed scared of their dog ( A weimie) and they were never given time to ask questions. That has never been our experience. We have had all 3 in together and everyone was fine with it. Anything we have asked has been explained and we never felt rushed.

I guess it is a personal preference, but we are happy where we are, and have no plans to look for a new vet.

moosmom
05-24-2003, 10:17 PM
When I first arrived in Michigan, I had to take Moo and Mollie Rose to the vet for various reasons, one being Mollie Rose has asthma.

My SIL recommended Lincoln Park Veterinary Hospital. Her vet was the one who examined Mollie Rose. He was the most arrogant, pompous a-hole I had ever met. I did not like his bedside manner one bit and told my SIL that (she was with me). She came to his defense and said that he was a great vet, regardless of his demeanor. BTW, Mollie Rose didn't like him either. She tried to bite him! :D If I could've, I would've tried biting him myself!

Then I had to take Casey (RB, 12/02) in because of his breathing problems. Dr. Barron examined him. SHE was the most wonderful, caring vet I had ever met. She went above and beyond what was required. Dr. Barron treated Casey like one of her own pets.

Now when I go there (knock on wood I haven't had to since December) I always ask for her. I do not want that man touching my furbabies!

So you see, bedside manner DOES count, in my book. If there is one thing I can't stand, it's a vet that is more interested in money than helping pets out. THAT is what makes a veterinarian, in my book anyway.

lovemyshiba
05-24-2003, 11:10 PM
We love our vet, and the dogs do too!! She is the only one there, and only a couple of techs, so it is very personal. There's never anyone waiting, she only schedules one at a time, so no waiting room to watch the dogs in.
She may be a bit pricey, but worth every penny. Her office is right next to my husband's office, so he stops in now and then, and she always asks about the dogs. She asks about everyone, no matter who is in for what, and just loves to hear stories about them--always laughing or giving advice. She's very matter-of-fact, and clearly knows her stuff very well.
We can always get an appointment too--Kito was worrying me one day, and I called at 9, and had an appointment at 9:30, and made it to work by 10 with his checkup and meds. They also offered to keep him for the day if I couldn't get him in in time, so I wouldn't have to worry about him. She boards dogs too, and our 3 had to stay there the day we moved--they said the dogs were angels while they were there, which to me means they weren't uncomfortable or stressed out or anything.

The dogs get excited when we get near her office, and they can't wait to go in. She treats them wonderfully, and they don't mind the shots or the temp taking:eek:
She's always very calm about everything too--when Kito bit Abbey, I was a bit upset, but she just looked at it, and matter of factly told me what needed to be done--that was another emergency visit, and she had me in in an hour!!

GoldenRetrLuver
05-24-2003, 11:35 PM
I love my vet! She is really great. She does house calls, and seems to have a bond with my animals. I couldnt ask for anyone better:)

Kater
05-30-2003, 10:22 AM
Thanks for your replies! It was interesting for me to read about the characteristics you value. :)

Does anyone else have something to add?

robinh
05-30-2003, 11:29 AM
If I had to put in short terms, they would be: knowledgeable of new treatment methods, gentle touch, understanding & compassionate nature, and friendly manner.

When we our vet retired a couple of years ago, we had to find a new vet. Dick went in to the one of the clinics close to home and talked to all the vets to get a feel for how they were with animals (never did make it to the second clinic). Since then I think we've seen all four vet and have had nothing but positives from each. The thing I like best is there is never a dumb question or problem.

Our favorite is Dr. Brennan. He worked with us to determine the exact allergy Max has so he's now getting the proper treatment. Max doesn't even mind going to the vet and that's saying something since he doesn't like anybody! Dr. Brennan can even pick him up.

We've had Molly in on an emergency when we couldn't get her to stop vomiting. At 5 lbs (what she was then) that can be critical. One of the vets met us at the clinic within 15 minutes. (turned out to be something she ate - that puppy/baby everything in the mouth trick - cleared up as soon as she got rid of whatever it was).

If I find one of the drugs they prescribe regularly for any of the babies cheaper on the internet - they match the price (with shipping of course). But it still has meant a real big savings a couple of times.

It just seems they have a lot of compassion and that includes the gals in the office. When we had to put Peach to sleep, they respected our privacy and left us alone - told us to take as long as we needed to say goodbye. Gave us a hug when we left.

Uabassoon
05-30-2003, 12:50 PM
There are a few reasons why I really like my vet. One thing that is VERY important to me is that he doesn't seem like he's in it for the money, he really cares about the animals. When Corkscrew gets sick he does his best to cut corners in the cost for me because he remembers what it was like to be in college. To me that shows that he really cares about my cat and not just my money. A few days after a visit he will call me to see how Corkscrew is doing, and see if I have any questions about anything. And when Corkscrew looks really ill and I start to freak out, he always somehow manages to squeeze in an apointment for me. Even on days where they are booked and I have schedual conflicts he is always able to work something out for me.