PDA

View Full Version : Furry victims of divorce

Pam
05-24-2003, 12:25 PM
My son's good friend is currently going through a divorce. :( He moved out of his home last month and took an apartment for a one year lease. The 'ex-wife to be' has remained in the house with their dog. Now the house has just sold and settlement is the end of next month. The 'ex-wife to be' will be moving back in with her parents and the parents don't want her bringing the dog. :mad: :mad:

His friend will be unable to take the dog until next April, unless he wants to get into trouble at the apartment and maybe get thrown out. He just approached me with his problem and I am passing it on to you. He needs a home for this dog for almost a year. :( He told me the dog is NOT good with cats or I would try and help out. He is willing to pay someone to take care of him until his lease is up. He will start out asking family members but wanted to run it by me as he knows I love animals.

Anyone have any suggestions or have you ever come across such a thing? I am at a loss here. Skinkids are always victims when it comes to divorce, but sometimes furkids are affected too. :(

Aspen and Misty
05-24-2003, 12:40 PM
O no thats awfull! Poor Littel pup! To bad he isn't good with cats :(

I hope the baby finds a home for a year and then can go back to his daddy.

Ash

CamCamPup33
05-24-2003, 12:48 PM
aww!! what breed? poor pup :( i think some one would get real attached and not wanna give the dog up :(

jenluckenbach
05-24-2003, 12:53 PM
Skinkids are always victims when it comes to divorce, but sometimes furkids are affected too
Fur kids are affected A LOT more than you think. At least skin kids still have a home, even if it is broken, uncounted hundreds of pets go homeless due to divorce.
I hope that he can find someone to take the dog, it is a shame to lose one's pets. Tell him to try rescue organizations. A foster home may have a vacancy, especially for a pet that will be reclaimed. Ask at shelters and vets' offices. Pet friendly places might know of people who could do this. Ask boarding facilities. They might strike up a price deal for long term.

Christiansmommy
05-24-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by CamCamPup33
aww!! what breed? poor pup :( i think some one would get real attached and not wanna give the dog up :(

He is a mixed breed, medium sized dog...I agree, unless you are a foster person on a regular basis and even though it is hard to give a dog up when it does get adopted...i think the person holding the dog for the year...would get attached. But Jen is right, maybe a rescue organization would be willing to foster him...

He should put up a sign in his vet's office...

Robyn

Pam
05-24-2003, 03:27 PM
Jen thanks for the advice. I had never thought of asking the vet. I did tell him that he might be able to find a foster parent through a shelter but I wasn't sure how they'd feel about doing it for almost a year. I'll keep you updated.

lizbud
05-24-2003, 07:42 PM
Sorry to hear about your son's friend's dog. I was wondering
if perhaps he thought the wife would keep the house & dog?
One year doesn't sound like a long time in human terms, but
it can be a lifetime to a dog.:( Could this guy buy his way out
of his lease? Probably would be expensive to do, but it is often
possible. I hope the dog does find a good home. Good Luck.

sasvermont
05-25-2003, 11:12 AM
Well, I would break the lease.....and move somewhere else....or make arrangements with the landlord (excess security etc.) if possible, to keep the dog in the apartment. Sometimes money talks. What about a relative of his? Parents? One year is a long time....seems to me a move is in order! You asked for it!

;)

MaxandSpike'sMom
05-25-2003, 11:30 AM
I would think if he is willing to pay someone for a year to "keep" the dog then maybe he should see if it would benefit him to get out of his lease or pay the landlord more money.
I understand he is going through a difficult time right now and this is probably the last thing he needs. But maybe if he figures out how much he would loose if he broke his lease and found an appt. that would allow pets....in the long run it may be cheaper than paying someone also he would have that unconditional love you get from your "furkids" and someone to come home to after work who loves him.

kingrattus
05-25-2003, 05:00 PM
When my parents Divorced, Max was ok because he stayed with me, & when I went to dads so did he, & when I moved with Dad so did he. Both my parents have tried very hard to make things easy for the dog.

But in ur case, maybe a foster person from a shelter could care for the dog temp

tatsxxx11
05-25-2003, 05:15 PM
Oh Pam!!!:( Poor pupster!!:( But my first thought was what others have already suggeted...a foster family that would be paid to cover the cost of the care of the doggie, would be ideal. And trying to find that family through a veterinary hospital might assure that the family was sincere, had ref's etc. Maybe after he gets his bearing, his Dad can concentrate on finding an apt. that allows dogs. People break leases all the time! Keep us updated, Pam!

moosmom
05-25-2003, 07:22 PM
Pam,

Have they thought about asking their vet if someone there could foster him for a year?? It might be worth a try.

Pam
05-25-2003, 07:37 PM
I haven't spoken with him today so I don't know the current status. To answer someone's question, the original plan was that she was going to stay in the house and buy him out. Although he wondered how she planned to do that he said OK. She asked to be able to keep the dog and he said yes because it is my understanding that originally it was her dog (I guess before they married). Now all of that has changed. His first choice, and probably the best solution, is to ask a family member to help out (that would be my first choice if it was me) so hopefully he has made some progress, although I really don't know right now. I'll keep you all posted and thanks for the ideas. This is very sad.

Rachel
05-26-2003, 09:11 PM
Do we know if the dog is neutered? Does he get along with other dogs? Can he come to Illinois? Okay, you know I'm just dreaming here. I would love to do something like this, but I know that DH (stands for Dear Husband, not Dog Hater) would not be amenable to the plan.

captain
05-26-2003, 11:28 PM
DH = Dear Husband (too funny!!!!)

I could not even comprehend ever :
ONE - leaving my dogs behind
TWO - giving them up to a foster

My husband and I had a friend who divorced recently, and when we discussed what they went through, and divided furniture etc, we decided we could never divorce because we both fought over which one of us would get the DOGS!!!!! :)

Mind you, never say EVER .......... but I AM!!!:)