PDA

View Full Version : Say hello to...

PaysForIt
05-24-2003, 11:15 AM
Treacle, nee Sooty, called so in remembrance of Caramel.

http://www.jennykenwright.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/treacle1.jpg http://www.jennykenwright.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/treacle2.jpg

As you can see he's settling in quite nicely in our spare room.

We'd planned to adopt him today regardless, PayItForward having pestered me ever since we got Milo. I think she's posted about his previous adoption and return before so I won't bore you with the tail ;)

aly
05-24-2003, 11:19 AM
He's GORGEOUS!!!!!!!! Oh my, I think Shiloh's in love :D

PayItForward
05-24-2003, 11:30 AM
Yes, we got a tax rebate earlier in the week and I have been ringing the shelter hourly since Thursday, to see if Sooty still needed a home (Shelter is only offically open Saturday afternoons)

I had talked to the cat shelter about Caramel. The warden was trying to get us to swap Caramel for Treacle (Sooty), as if we would.

Sooty (Treacle) has been in the shelter since he was previously returned. A couple of people showed interest but the warden didn't feel they were the right homes for him.

The warden was so happy we came back for him. She told Sooty that I was a real mummy for him, not that nasty false one he had before (As he was adopted and returned after 1 week for no real reason).

She practically had tears in her eyes and kept, thanking us for returning and I was still puffy eyed from Caramel.

Today has been very emotional and very bittersweet.

I feel like I have been trapped on a scary rollercoaster.

I hope we will not be thought of badly for both letting Caramel move onto the RB and adopting Sooty on the same day.

It has not been easy day.

When we got home and we had settled Treacle (Sooty) into the spare room. I watched Max, Milly & Milo playing in the garden, in the long grass chasing flys. I hope that Caramel gets the same enjoyment at rainbow bridge, he deserves it. :(

aly
05-24-2003, 11:52 AM
:( I'm so sorry. I didn't realize you guys put Caramel down today. I will have to go find that thread :( Don't feel bad about adopting another on the same day. I might have done the same thing. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Denyce
05-24-2003, 12:00 PM
Of course you shouldn't feel bad! What better way to honor Caramel than helping another fellow feline in need. And naming Treacle in honor of Caramel. He is a beautiful cat and I wish you many happy moments with him.

RedHedd
05-24-2003, 12:01 PM
At first, I felt a little guilty for adopting Mitzi just 10 days after putting down Goldie. Each pet guardian is different and heals the pain in their own way(s). Getting Mitzi and then Mishi was the exactly right thing for me to do to heal. I still miss Goldie and your Caramel will always have that cat-sized spot in your heart and soul. God made them small so we could love more of them.

I still find myself sobbing or crying while petting or holding one of my new babies. They seem to understand and just purr gently to let me know they know. We are blessed that they trust us so.

Prairie Purrs
05-24-2003, 12:34 PM
What a difficult day! But certainly you shouldn't feel bad for preventing Treacle from having to spend any more time in the shelter. Within a week after my much-loved Keke died, I went (still in tears) to the local shelter. The house was far too empty without a cat in it, especially when there were so many kitties who needed homes. I found Kacey and Kiri, and I never felt a bit guilty about bringing them home so soon after losing Keke. It sure didn't mean I loved Keke any less.

Cataholic
05-24-2003, 12:55 PM
The other way to look at it is, despite your pain and sadness today, you STILL adopted another kitty to love. You looked past your own pain to open your heart to another that needed you. How can that be wrong?

Welcome, Sooty.

PayItForward
05-24-2003, 01:04 PM
Thankyou for your kind responses.

George, Milly & Milo have all got a bit soggy today, due to me being upset while cuddling them.

Even Milly allowed me to hold her for 5 minutes (which is normaly unheard of), she must have realised how upset I was.

What is meant to be, will be.

Caramel deserved to have a pain free life on the bridge.

Treacle (Sooty) needed a home where he wasn't going to be abandoned again.

I am sure, that we made the right choices.

I just wish things could of turned out better for Caramel. :(

PS. We saw Sooty at the shelter, when we adopted Milo 4 weeks ago. But we didn't have the money to adopt him at the time.

ChrisH
05-24-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
The other way to look at it is, despite your pain and sadness today, you STILL adopted another kitty to love. You looked past your own pain to open your heart to another that needed you. How can that be wrong?
Welcome, Sooty
I so think the same as Johanna and couldn`t put it any better.

Chris

AmberLee
05-24-2003, 01:43 PM
Welcome to your Forever Home, sweet Treacle! We look forward to hearing more about how wonderful you are in the coming weeks and months.

You are a wonderful legacy to Caramel. {{{hugs}}}

jenluckenbach
05-24-2003, 02:55 PM
:D :D :D :D
My jaw just dropped wide open.............................YOU ADOPTED SOOTY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy. :D :D :D Caramel would be pleased as he is now pain free and happy at the RB.. (as a matter of fact, I am certain that he died happy because there was someone who cared for him before his death).
Can't wait to hear more about Treacle. (UM...How do you pronounce that name? :o )

PayItForward
05-24-2003, 03:16 PM
As you know, I wanted to adopt both Milo & Sooty when I first saw them. But it was not meant to be at the time.

I couldn't stop thinking about Sooty. I had rung up several times to see if he was rehomed but he was still there.

I think he was waiting for us to buck up our ideas and come and get him. :)

The lady warden said she wanted us to have him, because we would not give up on him, like his original owner and first adoptive owners. She said he deserved a forever home and that is what he has got. :D

PS. You prounce it 'Tr eek el'

Vermontcat
05-24-2003, 04:39 PM
He is a beautiful cat!:D Are he and George both solid black or does either one have a bit of white on him? How old is Sooty/Treacle?
Sorry to hear about Caramel.:( I know you cared about him.

BastetsMum
05-24-2003, 04:47 PM
I am happy that Caramel didn't die alone and in a painful way. I am also happy the Treacle will never be alone again. Blessings to the both of you - what wonderful meowmies and purries you are :D

BTW I am sorry Caramel didn't work out but you did do the right thing.

PayItForward
05-24-2003, 04:48 PM
Both George & Treacle are solid black.

They do have a couple of those mock guard whiskers each. Thicker than normal hair, which are white but not their fur.

Treacle is guessimated as around 1 year old (But seeing as he was dropped off by his owner, you think it would be accurate to the day)

Russian Blue
05-24-2003, 05:16 PM
Hello Sooty.....your very adorable!!

;)

Steffi N
05-24-2003, 05:26 PM
Welcome, beautiful Treacle to your new home and to Pet Talk.

kimlovescats
05-24-2003, 06:32 PM
What a wonderful thing to do in honor of Caramel! You opened your heart to another homeless kitty ... and you gave Caramel a respectable and loving exit from this world!

God Bless you, and WELCOME HOME Treacel!!!:D

krazyaboutkatz
05-24-2003, 10:12 PM
I was so sorry to hear about Caramel :( but now that you adopted Treacle I can smile again. :) I believe that everything happens for a reason and that Caramel came to you in his time of need because he knew that you would help him to become pain free. Treacle (Sooty) was also waiting for you to adopt him so he could finally have his forever loving home. I'm so happy for you. :D

carole
05-24-2003, 10:55 PM
well i just got back from the cat show to find a private message for me, it really made my day, i am over the moon to hear that you adopted Sooty, now Treacle, its the most wonderful news.
It was very sad about Caramel, but now he will not have to suffer anymore.
Oh do keep us posted with pics etc,HAPPY HAPPY DAY.

Vio&Juni
05-25-2003, 11:41 AM
I am so glad that you finally adopted Sooty. I KNEW you will :)

PayItForward
05-25-2003, 01:33 PM
I do believe we were fated to adopt Treacle (nee Sooty) :D

Miss Meow
05-25-2003, 05:29 PM
Welcome, Treacle.

You can see that you've done the right thing just by looking at the pictures. Treacle looks so happy to be with you :) And you have the compassion to think of him while grieving for dear Caramel, it's a wonderful thing you've done :)

NoahsMommy
05-26-2003, 04:28 PM
Ooooooohhhhhhhhh!!!! Treacle is so beautiful!!! He reminds me so much of Oliver...so soft, cuddly and shiney. Treacle is simply gorgeous and looks very happy. :)

I'm so glad it worked out. :D

PayItForward
05-26-2003, 05:52 PM
Treacle is a purr monster. He chirps when we see him...how sweet.

This is the best & worst bit of adopting a new kitty, he is sooo needy. After a couple weeks of solid love, he'll be secure enough to ignore us (sometimes) like a real cat. In the mean time I enjoy all the extra cuddles and head bumpies. But I know it is better for him, when he becomes more secure in himself.

In fact I slept in the spare room last night, to keep him company. I woke up to find Treacle curled around my shoulder, purring into my good ear. No wonder I woke up....

bluekat
05-26-2003, 05:55 PM
Awwww, he's a really sweet kitty!

jenluckenbach
05-26-2003, 06:39 PM
Isn't George the "Sleeping on the head" cat? Now you can have ear muffs.....one for each side.:D

PayItForward
05-26-2003, 07:28 PM
Now you can have ear muffs.....one for each side

ROTFL

Maybe, when they are friends.

I'll have to train them before winter, to lower the winter heating bills. :D

Vermontcat
05-26-2003, 07:54 PM
I also like your signature photos of George and Treacle, they look like bookends!:D
Soft furry ones, can you rub those two soft bellies for me please?;)

HayleyRosie
05-27-2003, 08:17 AM
Welcome! You have a great furever home.

ramanth
05-27-2003, 09:54 AM
Welcome to pet talk Sooty. You sure are a handsome boy.

Keep up those purrs and headbumpies to cheer your new momma and daddy up. :)