PDA

View Full Version : dolphin-swim with surfers!

yorkster
05-23-2003, 04:58 PM
When I was in Hawaii in 2000, we got to swim with some dolphins! It was one of the coolest thing I've ever done.

Here is a picture of some surfers with some dolphins along for the ride!
I hope the photo will be large enough to see them clearly:

slick
05-23-2003, 05:12 PM
I have very few dreams in life but one sure-fire one is to swim with dolphins or whales. Probably never happen but thanks for waking up my dream again.

slleipnir
05-23-2003, 05:15 PM
WOW! Your sooo lucky!!! That would be the coolest thing :) Great pic :)

yorkster
05-23-2003, 05:19 PM
slick- it will happen if you really want to.
We were in Kona and there is a place you can do it for a little $$$, and then the proceeds go to a dolphin protection group- worth the money in my opinion!

After we had done it, we found out about a place down the coast where there is a small cove that the dolphins come into early in the morning to feed and play. Only the locals knew about it, and it was free. I hope to go back there soon :cool: :)

RICHARD
05-23-2003, 05:45 PM
in so cali you can spend the day w/as a dolphin trainer.
i do not know how much- but a gal talk show host on the radio was given a 'gift certificate' to participate .....

in Baja, just south of tijuana, there is a small colony of american house owners. the homes are right next to the beach and on a good morning you can see the dolphins surfing the waves...

simply amazing!

slick
05-23-2003, 05:52 PM
Unfortunately I don't have any money for travel - my mortgage pretty much takes care of that. But I am starting to put a little money aside for a rainy day. Maybe when I retire......oh, but then again, I'm getting a dog when I retire.....decisions, decisions.

Sorry to be so naive, but where is Kona?? I really need to get a life.

yorkster
05-23-2003, 07:00 PM
Kona is on the 'big' island, which is not as touristy as the other islands. It is also the island with the active volcano. It's my favorite because the are several different climates all on the same isalnd. The Hilo (capital) side is kinda rainy & gray, there's a mountain that you can even ski on! Also rain forests (inland) with awesome hiking, sandy beaches, rocky-lava beaches because of the volcanic activity, and it's all not too crowded with tourists.

I sound like a travel agent now :D

ps- you can even stay in a rental house that is situated in the middle of where the volcano erupted and is still somewhat active :eek:
It's this lonely looking little cabin in the middle of hardened lava. We saw people hiking around down there when we took a helicopter ride to see the volcano.