PDA

View Full Version : Why do these people have cats?

HayleyRosie
05-23-2003, 08:06 AM
A friend of my mothers came to visit my mom while she was at my house a few days back. I was told she was a cat lover. When she first arrived she gave Hayley and Mandy lots of scritchies and they purred like mad. Later she came into the kitchen and saw Mandy on the kitchen chair with her front paws up on the table. This lady looked at me and said "You know if you hit her with a rolled up newspaper she will stop doing that." Excuse me! I would never hit my furkids. They mean everything to me. Then later she says "so are you getting them declawed?" Why do this women have a cat? To me that is NOT a cat lover!

Rocky'smomma
05-23-2003, 08:28 AM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Some people just don't get it.....She probably just "thinks" she is a cat lover, but if she were a true one, then she wouldn't be making these suggestions....Just put the invisible ear plugs in...:D

catmandu
05-23-2003, 09:42 AM
These people shoud get a Stuffed Cats as they obviously ont know how to treat or hanle a real live one! They want something to look at , not interact with , as they are too emotionally closed to truly love a Cat!

moosmom
05-23-2003, 10:19 AM
Why do these people have cats?

Your guess is as good as mine. Someone should whack HER in the head with a rolled up newspaper for being so STUPID!!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-23-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by moosmom
Your guess is as good as mine. Someone should whack HER in the head with a rolled up newspaper for being so STUPID!!!

:D :D :D
Sorry, I know it's not a laughing matter, but I just loved your response, Donna. :D I just really wish we could do such things. :D

Randi
05-23-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by moosmom
Agreed!! Here's some from me .... WHACK WHACK WHACK etc.

kimlovescats
05-23-2003, 12:23 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

RedHedd
05-23-2003, 01:31 PM
and Whack off her fingernails! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

AngelZoo
05-23-2003, 01:32 PM
Most people... who know someone who owns a cat or they have a cat, automatically deam themselves a cat lover because they "own" a cat. But we know the real deal!

Besides hitting a cat with a rolled up newspaper won't keep it from trying to get on the table.

Did you say anything to her? I try to teach people about declawing and hitting at every chance I get, even if in the end they don't listen to me.

PayItForward
05-23-2003, 01:36 PM
and Whack off her fingernails

To be the human equilevent of declawing. We would have to remove her fingers at the first joint (Isn't that a scary comparision) :(

marysmerrycats
05-23-2003, 01:56 PM
:mad: she may like the animal, and have the cat to have a "pet" not a companion...I mean, as long as it behaves in what she believes to be the "correct" manner!:mad: people like that most likely are the ones that think children should be "seen but not heard!"

I feel bad for any cat in her home!she would(and so would the cat)be better off with a stuffed toy cat!

just curious,what did you say to her when she said those things? I would have been tempted to wack her with a rolled up paper when she sat down!LOL

bluekat
05-23-2003, 06:13 PM
WHAT???!!!?!?!?!:mad: :mad: :mad: Hit them on the head with a newspaper???OMG, I feel so sorry for her cats:( :( and declawing?
Yes, she definately is not a cat lover.

kath00
05-23-2003, 08:13 PM
Her methods to train her cats are dumb :eek:

If she were a cat lover she would knew how to communicate her feelings and her wishes properly with them.

I see everybody here is against declawing. :rolleyes: My opinion is that, if it is necessary (for instance, if the cat has behavioural problems and destroys everything for a reason or another, declawing is preferable to shelter.

marysmerrycats
05-23-2003, 09:27 PM
I see everybody here is against declawing. My opinion is that, if it is necessary (for instance, if the cat has behavioural problems and destroys everything for a reason or another, declawing is preferable to shelter.

I would never...never... declaw my cat unless it were somehow a medical reason,
there are other ways to make a cat not damage the furniture... there keeping the claws trimmed, theres sticky tape, water spray bottle, there is no reason to have his/her claws removed. and I think it shouldbe illegal here like in England!

IttyBittyKitty
05-23-2003, 11:13 PM
I can't believe that people can be so stupid. There are much better ways of disciplining your cat - I discipline Pixel by removing her from whatever she is doing that is naughty (by pushing her gently off the bench, removing her from the screen door, etc) or simply raising my voice. Quite effective.

No need for the newspaper and certainly not declawing!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

BastetsMum
05-24-2003, 06:12 AM
Can I have a turn with that rolled up newspaper please?

Also pass me that sharp cleaver so I can cut her first knuckle off so she can't grow fingernails.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

05-24-2003, 06:23 AM
What a s@%/@ !!! I would ask her to leave the house immediately:mad: :mad: :mad:

moosmom
05-24-2003, 08:34 AM
I use "kitty jail" for discipline. It's actually my bathroom :D It works like a charm and difuses a bad situation.

ScantyNebula
05-24-2003, 10:36 AM
cat lover my ***!!!! ..... that is no way to treat a living creature :(:mad:

PayItForward
05-24-2003, 10:46 AM
if the cat has behavioural problems and destroys everything for a reason or another, declawing is preferable to shelter.
It has been proven that more behavioural problems arise from declawing.

True the cat would not scratch the sofa but they often start bitting and develop pain related litter tray problems (As the litter hurts their feet) Some animal become with-drawn and wary of humans.

I personally believe, if the sofa is more important than the cat. Then the cat deserves a new loving home, if this is via a shelter, so be it.

PS. These comments do not apply to people who declawed cats, before they understood what this procedure involved.

I am angry at people who know what is involved and still want to declaw. :mad:

moosmom
05-24-2003, 11:28 PM
PayItForward,

AMEN TO THAT!!! Cats CAN be trained to use a scratching post! It's just that SOME people are just too lazy so they take the easy, PAINFUL way out.

(this comment does also not apply to anyone having declawed their cats before they understood the procedure)

krazyaboutkatz
05-24-2003, 11:41 PM
People like this woman make me so mad. :mad: I sure hope that her cat at home isn't being abused. I would have told her the proper way to discipline a cat and that declawing only causes more behavioral problems. I probably would have also made her leave and I sure wouldn't want her to be around my cats any more either. :mad: BTW what was your response?