PDA

View Full Version : Italian?

marysmerrycats
05-22-2003, 09:23 PM
I think it is very prejudicial to assume that just because someone has a temper or is grouchy, that they are Italian... I have heard that before...asked are you Italian? so what does that mean, about Italians? there are many people like that , Irish, german, etc etc...:( :confused:

carole
05-22-2003, 09:44 PM
I agree Mary, the scottish and Irish are supposed to be known for bad tempers as well and scottish being tight with money, heck my family are just the opposite real generous.

wolfsoul
05-22-2003, 11:02 PM
Well, I have alot of different backgrounds and I haven't heard anythign bad about them, nor anything else :confused:

i'm English, Scottish and Danish on my mother's side, and German, Romanian, and Polish on my father's side. Apparently I'm mostly english, but I'm not sure...Haven't exactly done my research, but my last name is english..

wolfsoul
05-22-2003, 11:05 PM
Also, I have Italian friends who aren't grouchy at all...okay, one of them is, but she's a teenager, what can ya do? :p They are VERY generous people..Every time I go over, they stuff me full of delicious food, they have a million movies that they've let me borrow, stuff like that..Truly happy people :)

Uabassoon
05-23-2003, 04:22 PM
There are lots of dumb people out there. I get sterotyped all the time, I was talking to some people once and they asked why I came to school in Arizona and I said that they gave me a full scholarship. Then some guy said, there should be a scholarship for white middle class males, suggesting that I only got a scholarship because of my color. Then when I told him that I'm on a music scholarship, that is based 100% off your audition. The judges have no idea who you are. He didn't know what to say after that.
I also went to Banana Republic once to buy and outfit for a recital, and got followed around like I was going to steal something. I got so mad and asked to speak to a manager and told him that I was planning on spending lots of money there but I will never step foot in that store again because of the way I was treated. The manager kept offering me discounts and such, and I told her that I didn't need her stupid discounts and I'd take my business someplace else.

primabella
05-23-2003, 06:49 PM
Well I'm Italian and even though I'm not always patient I don't think I'm crouchy either :p Anyone can be that way, it doesn't say anything about your ethnic backround. (Actually I'm Canadian, my parents are both Italians but still ;))

Karen
05-24-2003, 12:04 AM
I have a very dear friend who is half Italian, but describes herself as entirely Italian in temperment. When she is angered, she has a tendancy ti "blow up," then calm down and apologize, and blames it on her Italian genes. Once someone online reminded me of her reactions, so I asked if by any chance THEY were Italian ... because of my friend.

Of course people from any nationality can have all sorts of different personalities, as there can be short-tempered Swedes and calm Italians, departing from the stereotypes. And there are people who match the stereotype, and people who perpetuate them. I had a blonde friend, who was a very intelligent, athletic, a lifeguard, and would threaten to beat up people who made "dumb blonde" jokes. Yet I know other blondes who say "Oh well, I was just having a blonde moment ..." at any silly mistake they make.

We humans are such funny, perplexing creatures. To think, when my mother was in college (in the second class of women ever allowed at her college) year ago, her psychology professor told her he was sure that, at the rate science was progressing, they'd know everything about the human mind, and human nature, in ten years. He thought all mental illness we be understood and as treatable as a broken wrist was then. And that was more than 50 years ago. Optimistic, wasn't he? ;)

marysmerrycats
05-24-2003, 03:47 AM
Ua--
I know what you mean, that has happend to me in stores, I am one that likes jeans, I don't often dress up, especially when I was younger, which is when this happend... I got so mad, I bought alot of stuff, spent alot of money, and then I insulted the girl that had treated me like that!...(of course I couldn't afford the stuff so I went back the next day, at a much different time.. hoping she wasn't there, and she wasnt so I returned it all. LOL talk about dumb! but she hurt my feelings, and I was not about to walk out like she was right or I couldnt afford anything...I hate snobby people!

Songlover
05-24-2003, 06:12 AM
:(

Dear Marysmerrycats,

You are SO right...the world if just full of people who like to talk nonsense about putting people into convenient little packages.

You are right to be angry and to speak out about it.

I have to admit that grouchy Italians is a new one for me, though!! I wonder what this person would have to say about the OTHER million or so grouchy people each of us encounter every day? ;) If they are indeed all Italians, there will soon be no one left in Italy!!! Thanks for your comments. :D Regards from Deborah in Montreal, Canada :)

Karen
05-24-2003, 09:03 AM
I don't think of my Italian friend that I mentioned as "grouchy!" I think of her a quick-tempered but with a good heart. Passionate.

I know, as I said before, that it's not always true of Italians, just as not every Swede drinks coffee!

marysmerrycats
05-25-2003, 01:33 AM
thanks songlover:)