PDA

View Full Version : Update on the sick babies

kimlovescats
05-22-2003, 01:41 PM
Well, the virus has now hit full-force with the babies. They are sneezing, some mouth-breathing, and running fevers! :(
I'm giving shots, feeding vitamins, Cat-Sip milk and wet foods, as well as administering nose drops to those who are mouth-breathing. Their activity level has dropped considerably .... mostly sleeping now ... as can be expected. I'm fixing to start the vaporizer as well ... get this room good and steamy! ;)

The main concern as always, as that they keep eating / drinking. I also have the EnerGel (Nutri-cal) supplement to force on them, if they stop. These things worked really well with the adults and they have all made a nice recovery. Please pray that the same course of action works for these babies as well. If I cannot get them to take in fluids at some point ... Iwill take them to the vet for IV fluids!!!!!

rosethecopycat
05-22-2003, 01:46 PM
You'll get through this, Kim.

Guaranteed, every foster I get, through a shelter, is going to get sick.
It's just part of the nursing program.

I'm sure those kittens are in expert hands, and very grateful to their Mommy.

For as bad as you may fell right now, watching them be sick, you'll feel even better when they start to get better and then fully recover and start to play again.

I'm holding your kittens in my thoughts and prayers as well.

Prairie Purrs
05-22-2003, 02:52 PM
They're such a rowdy, healthy bunch that I'm sure they'll all shake off this nasty bug and be better soon.

moosmom
05-22-2003, 02:53 PM
Hang in there Kim. You're doing everything right, i.e., vaporizer, Nutrical if they stop eating, etc. What you might want to do to make sure they getting enough fluids is to give them water via a syringe. Even if it's only 1-2 syringe fulls each. This way you'll know they're getting fluids.

BTW, sleeping is their systems way of healing. If their eyes and nose get ooky, just take a warm, wet facecloth and clean them out. It might even help them breath better. Another thing you can do is run the shower as hot as possible and put the kittens in there. It'll break up any congestion they might have.

This too shall pass. I'm here if ya need me, as well as everyone here. ;)

slick
05-22-2003, 02:55 PM
Sending prayers from us too! Keep up the good work Kim. You are a very special person.

NoahsMommy
05-22-2003, 03:17 PM
What a wonderful meowmie you are, Kim! It looks like you have everything in order, all we have to do it wait for them to get better. I just know that will happen really soon.

Sending prayers for you all.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-22-2003, 03:24 PM
I'm so sorry they got it full force like the adults did. :( I was hoping their young strong immune systems could fight it off. The thing they have going for them is that they have such good mommies (human and kitty) that took such good care of them that they are all good, strong, healthy kittens. I'm sure they will all pull through this in no time and will be romping about in no time.

Hugs and thoughts and prayers going out from here. Give them all a special little snuggle from me please. :)

PayItForward
05-22-2003, 03:25 PM
Thinking of you and your kittens, get well soon folks.

Steffi N
05-22-2003, 05:19 PM
Oh no, I was so hoping the virus wouldn't hit the babies hard. But they will fight it off with your help. I'm glad Tucker and the other adults are better. Please get well soon, little darlings.

Miss Meow
05-22-2003, 05:35 PM
I hope this is the worst of it, Kim, and you can look forward to some more enjoyable times with your babies. You're doing such a terrific job :)

jenluckenbach
05-22-2003, 07:02 PM
Best of luck with the babies. Since you stated that the adults all made a nice recovery at least you know that part is behind you and that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Prayers for the kittens and hugs for you.

lailamara
05-22-2003, 08:07 PM
Kim you sound like you can handle this now ...with the experience you gained from nursing the adults you sound confident and optimistic. What doesn't break you makes you stronger ! You have my admiration and gratitude for taking such good care of these wonderful kitties.

kohala
05-22-2003, 08:08 PM
Like all little ones, they have to go through their childhood stuff - let's hope that this will be the extent of it! Prayers to you and the little ones - and I'm so glad to hear the big guys are pulling through. Now, take care of you and daddy, too!
Hugs to you all, Ko & Grasshopper

krazyaboutkatz
05-23-2003, 12:28 AM
Kim, I'm so sorry to hear that the kittens have gotten worse. :( Prayers are on the way for a full and speedy recovery. I'm so glad to hear that your older cats are feeling better now so soon all of this will be behind you. Please take care.

Soledad
05-23-2003, 12:47 AM
I'm thinking of the little ones. You are such a good mom, I know they'll get the best treatment possible!

HayleyRosie
05-23-2003, 08:12 AM
Kim, I am so sorry to hear about the babies. I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

Rocky'smomma
05-23-2003, 08:36 AM
Get Vibes going your way for your babies...How are they doing this morning?

kimlovescats
05-23-2003, 09:36 AM
Casper and Tubalina are suffering most right now! :( They are coughing alot and Casper isn't wanting to eat / drink. So far Tubalina is still eating / drinking some. It's just so hard for them when their little noses are so stuffy! All of the babies have runny eyes and noses, but they're hanging in there. I am forcing the dietery supplements on them to keep the hydrated and giving the steroid shots as well. I am also running the vaporizer!

We are in the toughest stage of this right now ... the real "touch and go" period. :( I still feel encouraged, as they are still fairly active ... not depressed and hiding out ... so that is a good sign.
Please be assured that if they get to a critical point, they will immediately go to my vets office!!!!

Please continue to pray!!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-23-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
Casper and Tubalina are suffering most right now! :(

Oh no, tiny little Casper and my precious little Tubalina. :(

Thank you for taking such good care of them, Kim. I know they will pull through just fine with all your loving care.

Poor sweet babies, please get better soon. :(

Maybe Tubalina was meant to get it worst first so she can be feeling better by the time the others get it bad, and then she can help mother them along seeing as how she is such a good little mother already. ;)

slick
05-23-2003, 11:19 AM
Prayers for you have never stopped. Hang in there Kim. We are here for you. You are doing a wonderful job.

Cataholic
05-23-2003, 12:59 PM
Please let this weekend be the worst of it, and come Tuesday, everyone is on the mend. Hang in there, Kim!!!

Kim, just a thought...does washing, vaccuming, cleansing however, help the spread of the germs????

kimlovescats
05-23-2003, 03:06 PM
Cataholic .... those things help some .... but it is mostly airborne ... even travels through your air ducts when they are in separate rooms!:confused:

However, at this point, the kittens are the last to get sick ... the others have made good progress, so once these babies are better, we should be through with this!!!

I have another post about the vet visit today ... but I will post the results here too! I just got back from getting them all subcue fluids! It was a long, and unhappy process for the babies, but they are all fast asleep now ... and much cooler! ;) The tech sent the remaining bag with fluid home with me, in case they need more the next day or so. The biggest threat is always dehydration, so we should be protected against that now!;)

Thanks for all the prayers!

Hugs to all!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-23-2003, 03:10 PM
I just got back from getting them all subcue fluids! It was a long, and unhappy process for the babies, but they are all fast asleep now ... and much cooler! ;)

You took all six babies to the vet?!:eek: I thought you were just going to get the fluid to administor yourself, I had no idea you had bundled them all off for a little field trip. Probably the only thing that made this a little easier was that they weren't feeling well and weren't all that active. Whew! I can't imagine taking 6 squirmy little kittens to the vet at the same time. :eek: :)

kimlovescats
05-23-2003, 03:18 PM
They did fine... they were all in one carpet-lined pet carrier! Ya know, there is "safey in numbers"! They did fine .... I heard "nursing" going on during the trip!!!! hehehe.... God Bless Tubalina!!!:D

Steffi N
05-23-2003, 03:52 PM
I'm glad you were able to get the subcue fluids for the babies. It's sad that they had to go through the procedure, but I hope that this speeds their recovery and all is well by the end of the weekend.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-23-2003, 05:06 PM
They did fine .... I heard "nursing" going on during the trip!!!! hehehe.... God Bless Tubalina!!!:D

:D :D :D

jenluckenbach
05-23-2003, 06:50 PM
They did fine... they were all in one carpet-lined pet carrier! Ya know, there is "safey in numbers"! They did fine .... I heard "nursing" going on during the trip!!!! hehehe.... God Bless Tubalina!!!:D
this post brought tears to my eyes. How sweet can kittens be???????

moosmom
05-23-2003, 08:04 PM
Poor Tubalina deserves a medal!!!

Hang in there, girl. Help is on the way!!

carole
05-24-2003, 06:18 AM
Aww Tubalina i knew you were special, bless you kim and those darling sweet kitties, i do hope the worst is over for you and them now, thinking of you and hoping for a good outcome, GET WELL SOON DARLINGS

Cataholic
05-24-2003, 02:17 PM
Hi Kim,
Any update for Saturday?

kimlovescats
05-24-2003, 03:01 PM
All six kittens slept with me and Daddy last night! Lots of snotty noses in our bed...hehe!!! Everyone is doing pretty well, hanging in there. ;) Little Tubalina is being a stinker about not wanting to eat anything :( but I'm forcing dietery supplements and water and cat milk down her!!! I think we will all get through this in a couple more days! Fingers, toes, paws crossed!!!!

I'm still giving antibiotic shots, and I have more fluids here ready to give subcutaneously if needed. ;)

Thanks for asking, Cataholic!

kimlovescats
05-24-2003, 03:05 PM
Here is a picture of my kitty "arsenal" ... thought you might like to see it!

http://fluffandstuff.homestead.com/files/MedicalSupplies2.jpg

Prairie Purrs
05-24-2003, 03:13 PM
That's a well-stocked kitty clinic you have there! Hopefully it won't be needed too much longer.

Very good sign that the kittens all wanted to snuggle in bed with you. And Tubalina, you've got a whole bunch of PT folks who want you to EAT and get better real quick!

You're doing such a good job getting the whole kitty crew through this!

wolfsoul
05-24-2003, 03:16 PM
It sounds like you are a very good fur-mommy giving them all these helpful things :)

I'll be praying for you and your babies! I hope everything will work outfine!

Good luck!

jenluckenbach
05-24-2003, 03:23 PM
What a hospital pantry you have going there. If ever, heaven forbid, I get any kind of outbreak, I am sending transportaion for you to come and be kitty nurse maid.
;) :D This is the reason these cats were sent to you! Do you have any idea how many people would NOT take care of them the way you are. YOU are a God-send. Thank you, from your kitties.c:)

Steffi N
05-24-2003, 05:15 PM
AWWWW, all six in bed with the two of you. Such a good kitty mommy and daddy. Glad things are looking up. Tubalina, now you be a good girl and start eating.

krazyaboutkatz
05-24-2003, 09:10 PM
Kim,I'm so glad to hear that the kittens are doing better. Now please start eating and drinking Tubilina. You sure are a great meowmie and a well prepared one too. I'm sure that in a few days your house will start getting back to normal. Take care.

carole
05-24-2003, 10:58 PM
Oh yes sweet precious Tubalina please please please start eating and drinking.

smokey the elder
05-25-2003, 08:30 AM
Last summer my Mahopac monsters had a URI outbreak and wouldn''t eat. I was able to get them to eat plain chicken or turkey baby food. A cat won't eat what she can't smell. A little dab on the nose got them to lick it off, then they could taste it. Once they'd eat plain baby food, I'd spike it into their regular kitten food.

Sick tiny kittens are so scary! But it sounds like you're doing OK. Good luck.

kimlovescats
05-25-2003, 04:42 PM
Tubalina still will not eat today, and is just lying around .... Jerry and I tried to give her subcue fluids... but it was disastrous! :(
Jerry made me a nervous wreck, because HE is a nervous wreck about this sort of stuff. I got the needle in fine and the drip going fine, but then she freaked out and started screaming bloody murder .... we both (Jerry and I) were so scared we just said forget it!! :rolleyes: So we force-fed more EnerGel and 2 syringes full of CatSip milk. There is NO WAY I'm going to lose a baby now ... especially Tubalina!!!! All the other kittens are doing very good today, playing alot and eating on their own ... just Tubalina is still peuny!!! Please pray hard for her!!!!

krazyaboutkatz
05-25-2003, 05:00 PM
Please eat Tubalina. Prayers are on the way for her and the other kittens too.

tatsxxx11
05-25-2003, 05:39 PM
Oh no...I was just ready to post a happy thread on your positive update..:( Please eat, little Tubalina. We're sending prayers and well wishes your way, sweetie. And a big hug to your Mommy who is the most wonderful, loving and caring Mom a kitty could ever hope for. Love, hugs and positive thoughts being sent to all the kitties. Sandra

Steffi N
05-25-2003, 06:02 PM
Poor little Tubalina. Please eat darling. Does the vet say she needs any special medicine or anything? I am glad the other kittens are playing and eating.

PayItForward
05-25-2003, 06:20 PM
Thinking of Tubalina, you must eat baby.

kimlovescats
05-25-2003, 07:02 PM
My vet has been following me the whole way ... he said he would be doing the same things if they were hospitalized at the clinic, and that I am doing "a great job". :confused:

I've followed his directions to a "T", and I suppose that is why 16 out of 17 are showing signs of great improvement. It is just going to take a little extra time and effort with Tubalina ... but she will make it too!!!! I won't accept any different.

Prairie Purrs
05-25-2003, 07:07 PM
Tubalina, honey girl, stop worrying your mommie and daddy and everybody else and get better, OK?

Cataholic
05-25-2003, 08:45 PM
Come on, little girl, you HAVE to eat!!! Kim, I am sure you have tried all the tempting treats?? Tuna liquid diluted with water? KEEP AT IT!

Vermontcat
05-25-2003, 09:17 PM
Come on Tubalina and eat for your mommy! Your name is TUBAlina not THINalina!:p
Kim, when is your vet back in his office if you need to take her in? I know it is a holiday weekend, would you have to wait until Tuesday to see your vet?
Sending prayers that Tubalina will eat and feel better soon!

kimlovescats
05-25-2003, 09:36 PM
Tubalina has swallowed everything I have put in her mouth .... EnerGel, CatMilk, food, water, etc..... she is not spitting it out ... so I know she is getting nourishment, I would have just preferred she had the desire / will on her own to eat/drink.

Just now, I hand fed her a few bites of her wet Whiskas food ... when the pieces fell out of her mouth, she picked them up on her own and finished them off ... one tiny bit at a time. THEN, best of all ... she walked over to the water fountain and drank a good bit of water! She will be OK!
:)

carole
05-25-2003, 09:47 PM
GREAT NEWS kim, precious little Tubalina will be ok so pleased to hear it, and all the other kitties too.

Steffi N
05-25-2003, 09:52 PM
:) Good girl, Tubalina :)

rosethecopycat
05-25-2003, 09:52 PM
Kim,

I feel what you're going through. Good for Tubalina! Keep going baby.

I had to syringe feed my Bella (8weeks) today. Her URI is ramping up.

The rescue tells me what I should do.

I am using a can food called A/D (presciption) mixed with KMR.

My back up plan is: Pedialyte mixed with Nutrical.

So far, she's licking the A/D mix off of the syringe.

Oh, these babies have our hearts, don't they?

Praying for Tubalina.

kimlovescats
05-25-2003, 09:55 PM
Rose....

Yes, these babies definitely tug at our heart strings!!!! I sure hope your little Bella will continue to flourish! Sounds like a good plan of "attack"! Good luck, and please keep us posted on Bella!

Hugs and Prayers,
Kim;)

rg_girlca
05-25-2003, 10:11 PM
Oh Kim I have tears in my eyes just knowing that little Tubalina is on the road to recovery. It's no wonder with a meowmie like you taking care of her and all the other little furbabies.

HIP HIP HOORAY for Kim and can't forget the hubby, for getting all the kitties through this.

Hopefully now you guys can relax a little and get some sleep and time for yourselves. ;)

krazyaboutkatz
05-25-2003, 10:28 PM
Yeah!:D I'm so glad to hear that Tubalina is eating and drinking on her own. :) Kim, you're doing a great job with all of your cats and now I'm sure that all of them are on the road to recovery. Now please try to get some rest yourself.

kimlovescats
05-25-2003, 10:46 PM
Thanks so much! Tubalina is even PLAYING tonight ... something she hasn't done in DAYS!!!! THANK GOD!:)

Prairie Purrs
05-25-2003, 11:48 PM
:D :D :D

Miss Meow
05-25-2003, 11:50 PM
Keep going little Tubalina!

Kim, Tabasco's litter nearly all died because none of them would drink when they were born. Their carer was shooting nutrients down their throats, but they didn't want to help themselves. She was just about to give up after six weeks, and they finally started eating! I hope Tubalina can have such a good news story :)

IttyBittyKitty
05-26-2003, 05:59 AM
I'm glad to hear that you are eating again darlin, you had your Meowmie soooo worried! Kim, that must have been so horrible for you after all you've been through with the sick furrbabies. I am SO glad that Tubalina has come good (what a cute name :) ) .. be sure to keep us updated on the rest of the invalids!

jenluckenbach
05-26-2003, 07:12 AM
I am so happy to hear that she is on her way back !:D

PayItForward
05-26-2003, 07:38 AM
Hurrah, Tubalina has turned the corner.

So glad, you are feeling better Tubalina :D

HayleyRosie
05-26-2003, 11:00 AM
So glad to hear your feeling better little one.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-27-2003, 12:50 PM
Oh no, precious little Tubalina....:( I'm soooo happy you're eating, drinking and even playing again. I'm also so happy I wasn't here to hear the news while you were at your worst because I would have been worried sick about you little sweetie.

Now be a good girl and eat and drink everything your mommy gives you. Hugs and smoochies to you sweetie, please get all better real soon. :)

Come on Tubalina and eat for your mommy! Your name is TUBAlina not THINalina!
True. :D :D :D
(However, we do not want the name to go to her head and have her become a really tubby Tubalina.) ;) :D

And thank you sooo much, Kim, for being so persistent with Tubalina - and all the kitties. They really are so lucky to have you taking care of them. :)

Bari_d
05-27-2003, 02:07 PM
Kim, I haven't had time to post, and I didn't want to call in case you were resting (that has to be difficult at your house still!).

So glad you now have Tubalina responding...what a hassle. Has everyone else continued on the road to recovery OK now??? Do they all appear to be "out of the woods" now???

What a couple of weeks you've had! God bless you, your hubby and your vet! And Kim, your strength and stamina is just amazing. It sure shows how much you love those babies.

Give my love to all...I'll continue to pray for complete recovery and some peace for you.

Bari et al

Steffi N
05-27-2003, 04:09 PM
Tubalina Tubalina tiny little thing
Tubalina prance Tubalina sing
What's the difference Tubalina if you're very small
When your heart is full of love you're
---a big kitty indeed
Kim, you have been a real trooper through all this. Hope all the other kitties' recovery is going well. :) :)