PDA

View Full Version : cats

marysmerrycats
05-22-2003, 12:55 AM
isn't it sad that there are so many cats that don't have a home?

wolf_Q
05-22-2003, 01:01 AM
I guess I can't speak for everyone here, but I honestly don't think that those with pedigree animals think they are BETTER then non-pedigree. :rolleyes:

Maybe some people just happen to like the looks/personality of a certain breed? Is that such a crime??

hey , great way to prove we care about them!

Are you trying to say those with pedigree pets don't care about pets? :mad: People can have pedigree pets and still do their fair share to help homeless pets too you know!

My opinion is that it's the ones with cats that just let them roam and don't spay/neuter, as well as those that are just plain stupid and don't take care of their pets that create a larger problem of homeless pets vs. (most) pedigree breeders.

it seems to be the opinion of others on here that they(pedigree cats) are more worthy than the run of the mill cats...

I'm really not trying to start another fight, I know you took this out of SAS's thread.......but the way you said that, I was somewhat offended that you would think some of the members here would think their cats are "better." We are all pet-loving people here, no matter if our pets are show quality pedigrees, or a lovable stray from the shelter.

marysmerrycats
05-22-2003, 01:23 AM
wolfQ no, I am not saying that people that have pedigree pets don't care about them... look I just absolutely hate to see all the cats out there, without a loving home and it seems cruel to me, to bring more cats into the world, ok? what you said about the spay/neuter, is totally right! that is a BIG problem, and lazy, cheap stupid people don't care.

marysmerrycats
05-22-2003, 01:29 AM
I was somewhat offended that you would think some of the members here would think their cats are "better."

I didn't think that of anyone on here, or have any one person in mind... I only say what I do because I can't stand seeing the billions of cats out there, that will never know the love of a home ... I don't know, it's hard, I guess it would be dumb to say everyone stop having kids becuase there are kids out there without families... and I know the people who just will not spay/neauter their cats caused the problem. so I don't know. but I know that I just will not ever buy from a cat show or breeder.
it still hurts to see all those cats , stray cats, cat at the humane society on "death row" and the caged ones at petsmart etc etc.

PayItForward
05-22-2003, 03:17 AM
Mary...

As you know, I like to adopt my cats from a shelter.

But I like to use a non-kill shelter, so strickly speaking none of them were on death row. (Though George was stir crazy having spent 3 months in the shelter....poor baby)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone has very strong differing opinions on the following issues...

Adoptation of cats from..
Shelter V Breeder
Non Kill V Kill Shelter

Cat Care....
Inside V Outside V Inside/outside (Esp this issue)
Vegan food V Meat food
Dry food V Wet food

We should express our opinions, this is what this forum is for.

What that I like about this forum, is that in the last 6 months I have been posting, I have seen virtually no flaming & personal arguments.

In general this is a very friendly site and I hope it stays that way. :D

PS. I don't think, I know that my mutts cats are better than anyone elses pets. LOL . :eek:

PayItForward
05-22-2003, 03:32 AM
It is sad that so many cats don't have homes. :(

I wish I could do more to help, I daren't help out at a shelter (I would end up with 30 cats).

All I do is donate food to the local shelter.

Maybe when I get a job, I might see if I can persuade my partner to adopt Sooty if he still needs a home.

marysmerrycats
05-22-2003, 07:48 PM
payitforward
I know the no-kill cats are not on death row, but the other shelters, different story.:(
that's all I can do now, too, is to donate.actually right now, I can't even do that, but will whenever I can. hopefully in the future I may be able to get another cat or volunteer. but not now.

wolf_Q
05-22-2003, 11:41 PM
Just FYI for anyone who reads this: Obviously my post does not make sense now.......but this thread was originally titled "special pedigree cats" and what the first post says, is NOT what it said when I replied.

Just so you don't think my reply is crazy. :rolleyes:

carole
05-22-2003, 11:46 PM
All cats deserve a loving furever home pedigrees or not, infact i am sure there are some pedigrees who dont always end up in good homes, dont u think?
Oh yes i wish i could be filthy rich and adopt them all.

Randy_K
05-23-2003, 12:52 PM
There are many pedigree cats that don't end up in loving homes. For Abys and Somalis is SABRE (http://www.sabrecats.org/) (Somali and Abyssinian Rescue and Education) and NAR (http://www.abys.net/NAR/) (National Abyssinian Rescue). I've seen some very dumb people who got a cat that looked like what they wanted but they didn't consider the personality issues. and the responsibilites.

I had a note from a woman who adopted a young Aby female. The cat had been purchased by someone who decided to be a breeder but neglected the cat terribly. Her health was so bad that she lost all of her teeth before she was three. Now in a loving home, she has recovered her health and has become a typical Aby.

BastetsMum
05-23-2003, 05:20 PM
While heart breaking as it is, here in Australia I went to an animal shelter (since most of the animals are put to sleep after 7 days in pounds) and none of the cats were to my liking. They were all standoffish and none really came up to me. I gave them a try but none of them purred for me like they did for other potential cat owners.

I saw 3 adult cats adopted that day. None of them wanted me as their meowmie. I saw an advert in the newspaper for Bastet so I took her instead.

This does not make me a bad person for not adopting from a shelter, it was the cat's choice whether or not they liked me. I gave Bastet a home instead.

Some people do not realise that most pedigrees end up being abused by their owners for their genes or discarded at animal shelters because they are not perfect. I am glad that didn't happen to Bastet.

To have a pedigree animal also means you are perpetuating that breed of cat. I would not like to see aby's, bengals, snowshoes only being pictures in a cat encylopedia with their traits listed and down the bottom stating *extinct breed*. I think that would be a tragedy to the world.

My reasons might be *lame* for owning a pedigree but I for one am glad I have Bastet.

moosmom
05-23-2003, 08:25 PM
BastetsMum,

Some people do not realise that most pedigrees end up being abused by their owners for their genes or discarded at animal shelters because they are not perfect

Absolutely! I have 2 cats that are perfect examples of breeder abuse/neglect.

MooShoo - rescued from his breeder (along with 7 other siblings, different litters) because she neglected them by not treating the herpes virus in their eyes. MooShoo is now blind in his right eye and has VERY limited vision in his left. Pixel, the only other survivor, was blind in her right eye and had terrible sinus problems until they removed her eye. She's now happy and living in a furrever home with other "special needs cats". The rest of the Sphynxes died, 2 from "failure to thrive", the others from what is suspected to be FIP. When they were rescued, the breeders house was disgusting!!! Dead cat carcuses all over the place. The breeder has since moved on to begin breeding in Washington (she was from NY - Cattery name Rinkurls Cattery).

Faberge (aka Shorty) - rescued from yet ANOTHER breeder, deemed the "mad scientist" because she kept Fabby in a cage for the first year of her life. Because Fabby was the "perfect" calico Munchkin, the breeder planned to breed her. When she developed pyometria, the breeder spent thousands of dollars to try and stop the disease. It didn't work and she had to be spayed. The breeder had no use for her anymore. Rather than have her go back to the breeder and put in a cage, I opted to pay her vet bill and keep her. I call her my $25 kitty, as I only sent the breeder $25.

Now you guys know why I hate breeders. :mad: :mad: :mad:

BastetsMum
05-24-2003, 05:51 AM
I totally agree MoosMum but Good Breeders (and yes there are some - Bastet's breeder was wonderful - when Bastet got the calici virus - she helped me pay the vet bills) keep some genetic qualities in cats alive.

I beleive personally that there should be strict policies regarding pet ownership and breeding of animals but usually when I state this I get howled down over the rights of people. Sorry but I am sure that if they tested people as potential pet owners first there would be no such thing as abuse to the extent we have now.

People have the right to choose, pets don't. We should protect them all.

carole
05-24-2003, 05:57 AM
HERE HERE, yes we need to speak out for those who cant, could not agree more WELL SAID

Rocky'smomma
05-24-2003, 07:48 AM
I know that my mutts cats are better than anyone elses pets. LOL .

I feel the same way PIF :)

moosmom
05-24-2003, 08:51 AM
BastetsMum,

People have the right to choose, pets don't. We should protect them all.

Amen to that !!!

As Sasvermont said, life is full of choices. Some people choose to go to breeders for their pets, others choose shelters.

To each his own!!

marysmerrycats
05-25-2003, 02:54 AM
i really dont care who doesnt like my opinion, its my opinion... breeders take away from other cats.

moosmom
05-25-2003, 07:06 AM
Mary,

life is full of choices. Some people choose to go to breeders for their pets, others choose shelters.

To each his own!!

With all due respect, don't you think it's time to MOVE ON??? Everyone here is well aware of your opnion as well as mine. Why dwell on it?

Yes there are alot of unwanted, abused, and abandoned cats out there. You stirring up dirt at each and every turn is NOT going to change that.

So my advice to you would be...

GET OVER IT!

*sighs, shakes head, :rolleyes*

(Geez, even I know when to quit!!)

Randy_K
05-25-2003, 03:13 PM
A cat who choses you ends up being happy and loving cat. If you chose a standoffish cat, they don't always warm up to you and then the both of you aren't happy with the relationship. If you find that ideal relationship at a shelter or a breeder, more power to you. There's nothing more satisfying than a relationship with an animal that loves and trusts you.

marysmerrycats
05-25-2003, 07:55 PM
Donna
for someone who has quit or forgotten about it, you sure have alot to say... and I will say it again, thats my opinion.
I don't care if you don't like it , if you want to move on, do so , and I don't give a fig if you shake your head or run in a circle, whatever you want to do.
I'm not stirring up dirt, its called posting on a thread, you ARE familiar with that aren't you?? its called an OPINION, and if you don't like it don't dwell here, by all means don't read it and go somewhere else, some other thread, so get over it yourself! in other words, butt out!!
I didn't ask for your lame advice, I posted this thread, if you don't want to be part of it, and only want to criticize, why don't you get lost?hmm?
posted by Randi_K

If you chose a standoffish cat, they don't always warm up to you and then the both of you aren't happy with the relationship.
that might be true sometimes, but when I adopted Emma and Louise, they were standoffish, in fact very scared, and they have really come around. even the lady I got them from( I was fostering them, then I adopted them) was surprised to hear it)
Emma couldn't be friendlier now, and Lousie, even tho she doesn't want to be held, she will sit next to me, and is always near me, and lets me pet her, about half the time.
posted by Carole

i am sure there are some pedigrees who dont always end up in good homes, dont u think?

yes I do, like Donnas cats, I believe that, in fact I knew that, thats why there are wish lists, within resuce groups/shelters, BECAUSE they DO have those cats.

PayItForward
05-26-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by PayItForward
I don't think, I know that my mutts cats are better than anyone elses pets. LOL.

Originally posted by Rocky'smomma
I feel the same way PIF :)
He He. I'm glad we all feel the same way about our cuties. :D