PDA

View Full Version : Do you ride horses?

GoldenRetrLuver
05-21-2003, 08:06 PM
Hi, i was just wondering if anyone out there knows how to ride a horse, and enjoys it, I ride horses and LOVE it! I ride a bay mare named Shannon-Doa, western.

Thanx:)

CathyBogart
05-21-2003, 08:18 PM
I've been riding before, and I even took a few lessons. I'm not good at it really, but I definitely enjoy it! The place I ride at has an ex barrel racer nemed Rosie who is my favorite horse in the world! She's a beautiful red roan, and she'll do anything you ask. ^-^

Desert Arabian
05-21-2003, 08:19 PM
Yes, I do ride horses. I have been riding since I was 6 years old (I am 15.5 now). I used to take English lessons, now I am into bareback and Western. I go to a horse summer camp every summer for 6 weeks- leaving on June 22nd. Lately my riding has been on and off, all because of school, once I am done with school...that's all gunna change!! HEHEHEH!!! :p :p ;)

Some breeds I have ridden: Tennessee Walking Horse, Arabian, Appendix Quarter Horse, Quarter Horse, Morgan, Morgan/Quarter Horse (that's Jack), Shire, Thoroughbred, Norwegian Fjord, Appoloosa, Missouri Fox Trotter, Standardbred, Trakehner, and I think that is it...lol...there could be more. And of course, I have ridden the good ol' mule.

Here is a picture of my buddy Jack. I can't wait to see him again this summer, I miss him so much!!!!
http://members.aol.com/OrliBloom177/Jack1.jpg
*~*~*~*~* Jack *~*~*~*~*

GoldenRetrLuver
05-21-2003, 08:22 PM
Thats soo kool! Thanx for your responses you guys! I try to go riding every weekened at this equestrian center, i always ride my favorite horse, Shannon-Doa, shes a great horse! Who knows...someday, i might have my own horse!;) :D

Tina
05-21-2003, 08:49 PM
I did ride and I loved it, but unfortunely I had to sell my horse about 2 years ago now. And I never went back out to our friend's farm to ride. I wish I would had. But it just hurt to much not to go out there and not see my horse Babe.

Aspen and Misty
05-21-2003, 09:02 PM
I ride. I recently had my test this past saturday. My horse, Whinner, did awesome and only tried to run away with me once! Which is awesome for him, I was so proud of him after words he got lots of extra loving.

Ash

GoldenRetrLuver
05-21-2003, 09:05 PM
Thanx for your replies everyone! Aspen and Misty, thats awesome! Congrats!:) :D

Tweety_Pie
05-22-2003, 06:58 AM
I take english riding lessons. I go every Saturday at 12:00 P.M.
It is so much fun! I love it so much.:D
I have been riding since I was 7 years old

cocker_luva
05-22-2003, 03:38 PM
i LOOOOOOVE to ride!!! i used to ride at some stables that were close. i'm gonna start back up this summer. i'm already signed in! i can't wait! :D

carole
05-22-2003, 04:06 PM
I have a great deal of respect for Horses, I must admit they scare me a little, only time i ever rode one when i was around 11, it saw another horse and reared up and neighed and scared the hell out of me, guess i just wasnt destined to be a cowgirl.
They are indeed a beautiful animal, always wanted one when i grew up on the farm but dad would not let me have one, said they eat too much, yep he denied his little girl a pony. sigh

slick
05-22-2003, 04:18 PM
I'm a cowgirl wannabe! When I was younger I used to ride all the time but it got pretty expensive. Two years ago I was on horseback for the first time in 20 years. Get this....cattle drive.....6 days on horseback. Can anyone say ouch??? It was really hard work but by far the best vacation I've ever had.

GoldenRetrLuver
05-22-2003, 04:31 PM
Thanx for your responses!:)

shellonabeach
05-22-2003, 06:05 PM
Yes I ride - I have a 14.2hh black half anglo-arab called Ross.

I used to jump and show him when I first got him 8 years ago but now all we really do now is hack and enjoy ourselves.

Jessica12345
05-22-2003, 06:17 PM
I took english riding lessons for about 3 years. :) but then My riding insructer moved away to NY. oh i miss those horses!

GoldenRetrLuver
05-22-2003, 06:19 PM
Thanx again for your responses!

HoRsELUvR
05-26-2003, 06:17 PM
I love riding!it is definetly one of my favorite pastimes.I also love to just be near horses.I ride English.

thymes
05-26-2003, 06:58 PM
Don't own one yet, but will one day!
I love riding for pleasure, trail and such. I am not into showing.
My fav breed is the arabian, and my ultimate horse is a black arab mare, or a dun tobiano half arabian. :)

tikeyas_mom
05-27-2003, 12:55 PM
I have never rode on a horse in my life. I am scared to. :o ..

GoldenRetrLuver
05-27-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
I have never rode on a horse in my life. I am scared to. :o ..

Why are you scared to? Horses are great animals and wouldnt hurt anybody:)

PayItForward
05-27-2003, 06:26 PM
I used to learn to ride/jump at a local riding school when I was much younger.

I used to wash & wax cars in the neighbourhood to raise the money for lessons. My father inspected every car I cleaned, to ensure quality control. Parents !!!

Desert Arabian
05-27-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
wouldnt hurt anybody:)

Hmmm...I hate to say that, but that statement isn't 100% true. Generally/most of the time, they are very gentle, but they can change tempers in a second. Especially if they sense you are tense, scared, or nervous... that makes them weary of you, and can use your actions as an advantage.

I have been kicked in the shin, and I still have a bump on my bone, this happened last June. I have also narrowly escaped being kicked in the head. I have been bitten too, that hurts! And of course I have been stepped on hundreds of times, that's nothing new.

Then again, I have been around horses that wouldn't hurt a fly. It all depends on the horse and the human.

If you stay calm, relaxed, and easy tensed on the horse, there is nothing you really should fear. If you are calm, relaxed, and easy tensed the horse will be calm and relaxed. If you are tense, nervous, and scared, the horse will sense that...and that is when you need to start your worrying.

:)

GoldenRetrLuver
05-27-2003, 06:36 PM
Well, yes, i mean if you are yelling and screaming of course the horse will get scared and start panicing, even hurt somebody. Im saying most of the time, horses are very gentle. Then again, there are those horses that have sudden mood wings.;) So, yes sometimes horses will injure people, but i dont think its very often.:)

Desert Arabian
05-27-2003, 06:41 PM
Or if you do what my grandma's dad did to his draft horses.....let's not go there!! :( I can see why it killed him! Good, I am glad!

GoldenRetrLuver
05-27-2003, 06:44 PM
wow, im sorry...:(

Desert Arabian
05-27-2003, 06:57 PM
Grrrr...I never met the man (he's dead), but if I would have, I would have killed him myself. JERK!!!

Anyhow...back to the topic, lol. :p

GoldenRetrLuver
05-27-2003, 07:00 PM
wow he must have been really bad, lol, ok:)