PDA

View Full Version : cell phones

Rocky'smomma
05-21-2003, 04:18 PM
Just wondering who all here has a cell phone? I just got my first one the other day, and so far, I like it...it's a cricket phone, and we got the Unlimited local calls
Caller ID
Call waiting
3-way calling
500 anytime U.S. long distance minutes available each month
Add Voice mail for just $3.99 a month..i just copied and pasted the plan from their web site....It's great!! soo, who else has one?

bluekat
05-21-2003, 04:23 PM
I got one! Me, my sister, my mom, and my dad(of course) has one. We all had to get one because its for school, and since we moved last year, we had to get one. We moved far away, so when my mom's coming to pick me up, she has to call me. My sister neds one too, since she's always out. But my dad got one a long time ago.
A lot of people think I'm too young to have one, but I find it very useful. For example, if I get lost somewhere, I could use it.
I love my cell, I have some of those faceplates, but I'm too lazy to change it, so its always blue:D

popcornbird
05-21-2003, 04:29 PM
Who doesn't? LOL Everyone in the family has one here except me (I don't need one yet), but I'm always "kidnapping" my brothers because it has the coolest games!!! :p I borrow my dad's or mom's sometimes when I'm going to a friend's house or something, so in a way, I've got one too, just that its not ALL mine. :)

Uabassoon
05-21-2003, 04:29 PM
I HATE cell phones. I had one and as soon as my contract ran out I got rid of it. I can see where they can be helpful, the reason why I got my cell phone in the first place was because at the time I was playing a lot of gigs in Phoenix and I figured since it was a 2 hour drive that I was making pretty often I should have on in case of an emergency. But then it started getting annoying, I guess it was also my fault for giving out the number to my friends. But I feel like if I'm out I'm obviously busy so I don't want to be disturbed. So my phone sat in my car most of the time, with close friends leaving messages wondering why I wasn't answering my cell phone. There are several other reasons why I don't like them, but that is just the reason why I would never have one for myself again.

AngelZoo
05-21-2003, 04:32 PM
I've had 2 different cell phones, but I currently don't have one.

I don't get reception for miles around my house so I can't use it to place or receive calls, and I just cant' afford a cellphone bill right now, so I cancled my service.

My fiance has one however, but his work pays for all that. :)

Cincy'sMom
05-21-2003, 04:46 PM
I got a cell phone went I went 200 miles away to college. Although I have updated the phone itself I still have the same Verizon plan from 9 years ago! ( I renrew it every 2 years). It has come in handy one more then one accident, flat tire, etc, etc

Funny story, as I was typing this my house phone rang and I checked the callerID to see it was my mom's cell phone. I answered and she says, why are you calling me? I'm not. I said. Well my phone was in my purse and started ringing and now you are there....guess her phone thought she needed to say hi to me?

Kfamr
05-21-2003, 04:49 PM
Too poor for one.

Cookiebaker
05-21-2003, 04:53 PM
Yup, both Mark & I have cell phones. I don't use mine very often (the battery is dead at the present moment) but Mark uses his ALL the time (for work). I love the convenience...."hey hon, I'm late" or "I forgot! can you pick milk up on your way home?"

But I hate the rudeness....it always rings when you are in a conversation with someone else; it goes everywhere with you so you can NEVER get away from the phone. And some people are just plain RUDE!

ChrisH
05-21-2003, 05:37 PM
I have one, it is pre-pay one, I bought the phone and I just buy fresh calltime when needed, there`s no rental or other charges. I have had it for two years and only renewed once! :) I vary rarely use it, its just for emergencys really, gives me a sense of security when I am out and about. The only people who have my number are my son & his family so I`m not bothered by lots of calls either. All in all I am happy that I have one.

Chris

Aspen and Misty
05-21-2003, 05:42 PM
I don't have one but am going to be getting one here soon.

Hopefully

Ash

binka_nugget
05-21-2003, 05:58 PM
Like most teens...I also have one. I'm starting to despise it. Maybe I should just carry a quarter for the pay phone everywhere I go. I only wanted one cuz I thought I'd need it for things..like my mom checking up on me when I went out...asking her to pick me up...emergencies...but now, people call me..so I just turn off the phone almost 24/7 lol.

bluekat
05-21-2003, 06:03 PM
I use my cell, ALOT. Well, its for the Internet, because whenever we go on, we have to "forward" our home line to one of our cell phones. So its good that I have one. I don't have to worry about any missed calls when I'm on the Internet. More than half of my minutes are used because of the Internet, hehe.

RockyRoad
05-21-2003, 06:03 PM
Not yet, but everyone has them. I'm getting one next year for my confirmation. Yay! :D

Kfamr
05-21-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Cookiebaker

But I hate the rudeness....it always rings when you are in a conversation with someone else; it goes everywhere with you so you can NEVER get away from the phone. And some people are just plain RUDE!

You're the one who decides to bring it with or answer it:p

Tina
05-21-2003, 06:42 PM
We did. But our contract ran out. We may get them back though I'm not for sure. They are good for emgerency's though:)

slleipnir
05-21-2003, 07:06 PM
I don't have one. My personal opinion (probably cause it's pretty small here) is that why should I pay all this extra money when I have a free one at home or pay ones everywhere for only 25 cents..

carole
05-21-2003, 10:40 PM
Up until recently i never owned one, but now everyone in the family has one, my husband gets them free from work and fixes them, so they only cost us for the pre-pay card, so its good, i like them for emergencys etc, and now i am into TEXT MESSAGING, it was great when my sister was in las vegas, i could text her for 20cents a message and she would reply instantly and i would know what exciting things she was up to.
We are really into TEXT MESSAGING in nz, all the teens love it, and even us oldies it seems lol.
I must admit i used to get really bugged when i was out with my sister and her cell phone would ring, or we would be shopping together and i would be leaving her half way down the street text messaging alas i am now one of those, its like an addiction really, sigh, oh well, got to move with the times.

boscibo
05-22-2003, 02:35 AM
I've had a cell since 1997 - two different companies and three different phones, they do come in handy. We (in the near future) are going to cancel our regular land line phone because the only people who call us on that phone are telemarketers!

It can be a lifesaver, like when my SO really did some serious damage to his knee (blew out 2 ligaments) when he was out in the middle of the State Park (with the dogs), and another time when he ran out of gas (again with all three dogs) out in the country. It is also nice when I (or he) am running late so the other person doesn't worry.

I turn my ringer way down so I'm the only one that can hear it, so when I'm around other people I can choose not to answer it if I want.

Truthfully, I am not a phone person at all and I would rather do anything else than yak on the phone, but they are so convenient.

RubyMutt
05-22-2003, 08:41 AM
Yeah, I have one. I never really wanted one - I thought the same things "I have a free phone @ home and pay phones are pretty cheap". However, it has been a lifesaver. I've locked myself out of the house, gotten a flat tire, etc etc etc, and there were no payphones around. (Yes, I'm a little ditz sometimes :rolleyes: ) Plus, it's just handy sometimes even when it's not an emergency :)

Edwina's Secretary
05-22-2003, 09:14 AM
I have one and use it. It is no different than any other "tool" (i.e. computers, the internet), either you can manage it or it can manage you. A cell phone makes my life easier and safer. But I can also turn it off, not answer it, etc!

DoggiesAreTheBest
05-22-2003, 10:36 AM
Sadly, I have had one since I was 15!! I have never been without one since!! I feel lost without it. Everyone in my family has one. It is very handy!

jennifert9
05-22-2003, 10:46 AM
I have a cell phone also. In fact, it's the only phone I have! I was paying for a home phone but I was never home! All it did was take messages for me really! Now I have caller ID and voice mail on my cell phone. I don't always answer it but I do always have it with me, either in my purse or the car but it's always nearby. People get mad sometimes when they call me and I don't answer but the way I see it is this: The cell phone is for MY convenience, not theirs! Just because they felt like calling me doesn't me I am willing or even able to answer the phone. And I'm certainly not obligated to answer it!!! I pay for voice mail for the caller's convenience. So leave a message and I'll get back to you!
Here in NY, it is illegal to talk on the phone while driving though, because they say it's distracting. Which it probably is. But so is the radio....Anyway, that is my biggest bad habit. I think of so many things I have to say in the car! I'm forever throwing the phone down on the passenger seat when I pass a police officer. I miss half of my friend's conversations sometimes!:D ;) :p

catland
05-22-2003, 11:01 AM
I finally got one a few months ago. Its a prepaid one with no contracts. It was handy to have on vacation. I leave it off most of the time - but it is a secure feeling to have it in case there was an emergency. I've only given the number to a few people, and since I haven't taken the time to figure out how to access my voicemail - I don't get bothered.

Cell phones are becoming so popular that its becoming harder and harder to find pay phones anymore.

Cataholic
05-22-2003, 11:21 AM
Love it, use it, wouldn't ever get rid of it. It is a major convenience, and while I can't claim any 'emergencies' it has saved me from, I think it is great.

Public opinion isn't any different on cell phones then it was when it was all about microwaves- for those of us that remember their introduction. I heard many people say, "well, I can just do XYZ in the oven/stove"...or they cause cancer, or food doesn't taste right...blah blah.

How many of us DON'T have a microwave?

Fast food restaurants, cable tv, HIGH SPEED INTERNET, same thing.

Change, even good change, is hard for alot of people....he he he...

popcornbird
05-22-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by DoggiesAreTheBest
Sadly, I have had one since I was 15!! I have never been without one since!! I feel lost without it. Everyone in my family has one. It is very handy!

Hehe. You're like my brother! :p

Personally, I'm not a phone person, but cell phones come in handy, and my parents want to be able to call me at any time when I'm not at home. Its good because your parents can keep track of you, and there's not always a pay phone around. :) Also, they can come in handy when there's an emergency, or you really need to make a phone call. A few months ago, we went to visit a friend and my brother went in his own car because he had to leave earlier (he had to study for his test at school). When we got home, my dad discovered that he forgot the garage door opener, and that he locked the front door from the inside with the extra locks before leaving because he assumed we'd be coming in from the garage. Had we not brought the cell phone, we would've been stuck outside for hours, but we called my brother and told him to come open it, and we were free in just a few minutes. :p

carole
05-22-2003, 03:50 PM
Yep i think i feel better knowing my young daughter will have a cell phone when she is a teenager,(She has one now, but only uses it for text messaging at the moment) because its going to be safer for her to have one, if she is stuck somewhere or something happens, also she can always ring emergency services on it.
Do any of you use TEXT MESSAGING i am curious?
Hubby brought home 3 yesterday and was going to use them for parts to build me a new phone, i was excited it looked nice, alas did not work this time.
In NZ we dont pay for our local calls NOT YET anyhow matter of time i think we just pay a line fee of around 40 dollars a month.

boscibo
05-22-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by carole

I use it once in awhile - like if Jeff is out and I really don't have anything important to say (stuff like "get some milk on the way home"), but most times it's easier to just call and talk, typing out a message on aa phone keypad takes too long!

My sister's phone can receive text messages, but she can't send them. SOmetimes I think it's just a fact of her sitting down and reading her phone manual, or else she hasn't subscribed to the text service.

I get 50 free text messages a month, so I don't have to pay for them. But I don't know if mine work overseas yet - when I was in Ireland, Jeff said he tried to message me, but i never got it. That could just be me not knowing how to work it at the time (I literally got my new Motorola cell phone two hours before I got on the plane). And then I brought the wrong owner's manual overseas - I brought Jeff's phone manual and left mine at home!

If I had a teenager - they would definitely have a cell phone! I think of all the stuff I got away with as a teen and how it would have been a lot harder if there were cell phones back then. ("I know I'm four hours past curfew Mom, but there wasn't a phone anywhere!")

carole
05-22-2003, 04:33 PM
Hey good point, i never even thought of that, still it will be SORRY I HAD MY PHONE SWITCHED OFF , always some way out of it eh.
Yeah my phone is the same i can receive text but cannot send them stupid really who ever thought of that one, i have others i can use, it does take time, especially as u get older your eyesight aint so good, and the letters are small, but u get faster, i can vouch for that.
I am just a cheapskate, works out far cheaper than ringing or toll calls so i do use it quite often now.

bluekat
05-22-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by carole

Yeah, used it a couple of times. But it was such a waste, I text messaged my sister only, and all I said was "Hi". It takes so long to write a message though. and my dad doesn't like to pay extra, because there's no point in it.

Dakota's Mommy
05-23-2003, 09:48 AM
Oh yeah! I got a cell phone! I never had my own until last year when we got here and at that point only knowing my husband, I wanted one just incase something happened while I was out shopping. I love it. Infact, he had one and I had one. It was great. Since he's gone, we had mine (it was under his name too) turned off and I now use his because it was a better calling plan. We have free nationwide long distance, 550 anytime minutes, free nights and weekends, no roaming as long as we're in a AT&T area, caller id, call waiting all for $39.99 a month plus tax. Granted, Brian has only been able to call me once since he got deployed, but anytime he gets a chance to call he will call the cell phone, we set it up that way so that he could make sure I wasn't always sitting at home waiting for his call but that I would always receive his calls. I go no where without it! I love that phone, it's so helpful!

Chinadoll
05-23-2003, 10:06 AM
Free phone @ home?! Where can I get one of these? I get a pesky BellSouth phone bill every month and goodness knows that if I added long distance to it, it would be outrageous.

I love my cell phone. I've gone through 3 different cell phones and 3 different companies since 1998. It's extremely convenient. Long distance, caller id, text messaging, internet all included on my plan. When I finally get high speed service for my laptop @ home. I'm geting rid of my home phone. So many solicitors called that I've cut the ringer off on my home phone and use it strictly for dial up for the computer. Long distance I use to call my Dad in CA and with long distance included in my plan along with free nights and weekends, I can call him at night and talk for hours. The text messaging I use for my mother because she never bothers to check her voice mail, so I know if I message her, she'll read it.

But, I really use it now that Joey is overseas. When he finally gets a chance to use a phone, he can call me anytime no matter where I am.

lovemyshiba
05-23-2003, 10:51 AM
Yes!!!
I love my cell--in fact, I just got a new one last week--it's a camera phone,and it has internet access and games and all kinds of fun stuff!! I go nowhere without it--it's almost like a feeling of security. I have a great plan, and have thought about turning off my "land line" a few times.
The camera phone is awesome though--I just love it--the pics are pretty good too!!!

RICHARD
05-23-2003, 11:30 AM
where i work, cell phones can and do interfere with the radio waves/telemetry that are used to monitor patients in the
cardiac unit.

out of 10 times asking, politely, for a visitor NOT to use their
phones within the building you will be verbally attacked 7 times.

"i'm really sorry, but if you need to make a call, could you make it from outside the building, your call might interfere with the patient monitoring equipment."

"HE/SHE just used THEIR cell phones"

"Those signs are too small"

"who made that stupid rule?"

"I asked the doctor, HE said it was o.k."

"WHO ARE YOU TO TELL ME?"

"I saw the sign..."

"I'm on an important call right now, the office needs me!'

"What's your name, I'm gonna talk to the supervisor!"

it's great technology, wasted on chowderheads who have no sense of decorum, rules or being polite.

and i am waiting for the first case of someone sticking their phone under a lady's dress and taking pictures....lol...

build it, and they will be dumb....

Nomilynn
05-23-2003, 02:36 PM
Richard I saw that happen in the emerg of the hospital up here.. a guy stands up in the waiting area, dials, starts talking, and THEN heads toward the door. A nurse says to him "Sir you can't use your phone in here you have to go outside." He covers the mouthpiece and says, "I know, that's where I'm going"

:confused: :confused:

So WHY did you dial while you were still IN the hosptial????? :rolleyes:

Rottieluver45
05-23-2003, 04:22 PM
I don`t have one but I REALLY want one!

smokey the elder
05-25-2003, 09:50 AM
I need to get one because I have a long commute, but all the plans, etc. are so confusing. For someone who works with so many high tech toys in the lab, it takes me a long time to pick out something for personal use.

Does anyone have Verizon? How do you like it? What about Cingular? I've narrowed it down to those two; I like the idea of Cingular's rollover minutes but I just know there's a catch someplace.

RICHARD
05-27-2003, 06:04 PM
just this past week i was walking down the hall when a
halfwit fires up the CP and proceeds to hold this conversation.

HW: we just got here (hospital), we drove two hours...

the other end: blah, blah blah....

HW: Well, it looks like Carol is not gonna make it.....

I felt bad because carol was not going to make it and i wondered
how carol would have felt knowing this chowderhead was making her imminent demise public knowledge.

-------------------------------------------

this afternoon i was standing in line at the bank when this
gent starts to pace the counter area, repeating a name over and over again.

it being HollyWeird and having see quite a few
lost souls walking and talking to themselves, i brace for the
possibility that this guy is gonna flip out, I mean, when you see some one looking at the ceiling, repeating a name over and over,
and walking aimlessly about you kinda figure the guy has problems.....no, no problems, just a cell phone...

----------------------------------------------

now, the technology makes everyone Uhura.......

my boss has a cordless earpiece connected to his cordless cell phone which enables his to be as cool as Uhura, you know the gal that Capt. Kirk asks for a hailing frequency to the Romulan
warship..........now i really have a reason for ignoring him.....

"i thought you were on the phone...." i'd tell him that i thought he was talking to the Klingons, but then i'd have to listen to his
having 'ALL THE FIRST SEASON S.T. episodes on DVD", but....

the batteries in my phaser are dead, so i'd have to slug him.......

technology,
can't live without it.....
can't live with it

;)

PayItForward
05-27-2003, 06:21 PM
technology,
can't live without it.....
can't live with it

So True.

I hate my mobile but take it everywhere just in case :(

boscibo
05-27-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Chinadoll
Free phone @ home?! Where can I get one of these?

Lol! True, there is no such thing as a free phone at home, mine still runs about $30 a month! What gets me is that it seems like we are paying for our home phone for the sole benefit of the telemarketers. :mad:

RICHARD
06-16-2003, 03:42 PM
this past weekend i ran into 4 people on their cell phones at the supermarket..

the morons could not
move their carts, bodies, pay attention to what they were doing because they were too busy trying to figure out what the shopping recommendations were from the person on the other end...

my favorite is the walkie talkie feature because I can participate in the conversation!!!

the 5th idiot was my nephew......his rang in the bookstore, i told him that the other customers didn't want to be part of HIS conversation, so i sent him outdoors...

'i cannot possibly pay attention to the world around me when i'm on the phone in aisle 14
of the Handi Mart, but I can control a 3,000
pound, 70 mile-an-hour missile on the freeway....'

jewelsmommy
06-16-2003, 03:45 PM
I just got my first computer, so no money for a cell phone.
Jewel's Mommy.

Cincy'sMom
06-16-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by smokey the elder

Does anyone have Verizon? How do you like it? What about Cingular? I've narrowed it down to those two; I like the idea of Cingular's rollover minutes but I just know there's a catch someplace.

I have had Verizon since before they were Verizon. It has been a bit of a hassle renewing each time ( I usually have to tell them twice that I want the same plan $9.99/month w/ only 50 min) It is such an outdated plan that they keep trying to get me to upgrade. The phone service has always been very good and I haven't found even their roaming fees to be outrageous.

I got my husband a cell phone for Christmas and I got him Sprint. On that one we do have an more extensive plan, free long distance, nights and weekends, etc. Their service area has been a little more iffy though. Last month he made two calls, two minutes apart to the same #, from the same location. One was charged roaming, the other local call. When I called to ask about it, they said well, you must have hit a dead spot where our tower didn't cover. He was at a rehearsal for the musical he was choreographing and calling the parents' of a student who had twisted her knee. How far could he have wandered?

RICHARD
06-18-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD

and i am waiting for the first case of someone sticking their phone under a lady's dress and taking pictures....lol...

just heard a story of a woman who was drugged and raped in a restroom.....
seems like the morons who raped her took pics of her with their cell phones put them on the 'net...:mad:

wolfsoul
06-18-2003, 01:59 PM
I don't have one. The only people in my family who do are my dad, my stepmom, and my grandma.

Personally I'm paranoid about the radiation lol :rolleyes: :o