PDA

View Full Version : Smelly litter box?!

I Love Brian, Forever <3
05-21-2003, 02:02 PM
Well, four cats are sharing one litterbox. This litterbox gets cleaned everyday and sometimes twice a day. I can add neutralizers to the litter and change it more frequently, but it STILL smells! The litter I have is store brand clumping litter, unscented. But no matter what I try --- it STILL smells.

Any suggestions?
Thanks! :D

Lerah021399
05-21-2003, 02:10 PM
Well, you could do a couple of things:

1) have more than one litter box (they say to have at least one litter box per cat. some even say add one to that).

2) Use a clumping litter w/ deoderizer and use a generous amount per box. It gives the kitties enough litter to cover up their stuff

3) Try a covered litter box. We transistioned to them because we had to have the litter boxes in a pretty open space in our house and we didn't want the smell to be everywhere. The type that we got even came w/ a charcoal filter in the top of it (helps eliminate smell)

4) Try baking soda. Sprinkle some in the litter.

Hope this helps.

Freckles
05-21-2003, 02:13 PM
If it's more than one year old, that could be the problem.

I know that's what worked for me:D :D

I Love Brian, Forever <3
05-21-2003, 02:23 PM
Thanks, guys. I'll definitely try multiple litterboxes. I never knew 1 to a cat. :o Baking soda! I forgot about that, I did that a while back, wonder why I stopped? :confused: The litter box is pretty deep, as I always buy them that way, so they should have enough litter to cover up their stuff. It also came with the little filter thing.

Freckles, lol, yeah, that's why I just recently replaced my litter boxes. ;) :D :)

moosmom
05-21-2003, 02:47 PM
Rule of thumb is one litterbox for each cat. I have 7 cats and a box for every one of them :D

PayItForward
05-21-2003, 03:57 PM
We had four boxes when our three cats were inside.

Even now when they have outside access, I still keep 2 clean litterboxes set up, just in case of illness.

AngelZoo
05-21-2003, 04:19 PM
1.) Defeintly get at LEAST one more box, a big one so they have PLUNTY of room, or a covered big one, as big as you can find.
Otherwise, specially as they get older your cats can develope some rather unwanted improper elimination habits.

2.) Yes you can use baking soda to help elminate odors.

3.) Scoop at least 2 times a day.

4.) You can spray a little bit of Pam (cooking spray) into CLEAN boxes before adding the litter in, so that litter wont stick so bad to the pan itself.

5.) Empty and scrub down your boxes with a bleach/water combo and rinse well 1-2 times every month (or more if needed.)

6.) Keep about 2-3 inches of litter in each box at all times.

7.) Bad smells can be caused by bad food, what food are you feeding them, often the low grade brands can cause horrid smells! I can't have things like Frisky's, Meow Mix, or Purina in my house because of that! Often a high grade diet will help with stinkies.

8.) Try a change of litter!!
I recommend..
- Papurr
- Scoop Away + Crystals
- Arm n' Hammer + Crystals.