PDA

View Full Version : bird for a day

RICHARD
05-21-2003, 10:58 AM
a story.

when i heard the story about the two jays that set up house between the houses, i laughed. as all good animal stories begin,
"well, one day they just showed up.." seems my brother's dog was the first victim of these 'stuka jays'. the military saying says the that "when you own the sky, you own the war".

it was a sunny day, but little did i know the clouds of war were amassing to blot out the light.

the next morning i was pulling the truck out of the driveway when i hear mr. jay yakking at me a mile a minute, since i don't understand "JAY", i moved a little closer, trying to figure out
exactly what was being said. i informed him i wasn't afraid and laughed right at his beak.

wrong move.

since then, i was dive bombed as i walked the driveway. my car was splattered with bird feces, that includes a one shot that i
can't believe. on the rear window just behind driver, this bird
dropped a doody that stuck to vertical window, no splat, no spread.......just one, perfectly round, doody right where my head would be...

after you get 'revenged' you think that it's over,

well, it's not.

that night, and everynight since then, i have been serenaded
by this bird that decides, "12:30 a.m., time for a song...."
now that my sleep patterns have been tweaked, we are even,
aren't we??

on saturday i once again ventured out to grab some breakfast,
i decided that some fast food would do. as i pull up to the drive thru i notice that my stereo is making funny sounds.....it's the speaker......well, a new speaker will cost...?????

i can't think with rock and roll blasting from the radio and to save the speaker, i lower the volume and .......THAT DAMN NOISE IS STILL THERE.

after i few seconds it hits me, birds don't like rock. not wanting to break the 'specialness' of the moment, i reach over and open the passenger door hoping that Mr jay, or who ever it is will exit the
vehicle.......then the obvious hits me-what if it is Mr. jay????
if i let him out here will he find his way home???? after 30 seconds i close the door. I ordered, payed and picked up my food.....pulling out to the fast food joint i was pleased to hear the
chirping, i was not going to break up the Jay family!

(deep in my heart of hearts i knew that playing the stereo, loudly, on the way home was a little pay back for keeping me up the other night and maybe, just maybe, our little war would be over......)

i made it home, parked the car and left to door open so my little
carpooling friend could escape and be reunited with his family.
that afternoon i went back out to the car, inspected the general
vicinity and found that my friend found his was out of MY CAR.

the war was over, until yesterday.

driving home from an errand i happened to look over my shoulder to check traffic..and to my surprise i end up face to face with.............................................. .................................................. .

.................................................. .................................................. .....

.................................................. .................................................. .....

.................................................a bird doody between the headrests of the seat. after our little trip it seem Mr. Jay or one of his bird buddies thought enough of our trip to leave me a 'tip'.

i got the message. never mess with a jay.

there is no moral of the story execpt that when you own the sky,
you can pretty much crap where you want.:(

Nomilynn
05-21-2003, 01:03 PM
there is no moral of the story execpt that when you own the sky, you can pretty much crap where you want

Hehehe!! :D

Poor Richard. I think I would totally freak out and drive my car off the road if I knew there was a bird in it. I don't really like birds.. that dive bombing ability gives them too much power. ;)

catland
05-21-2003, 05:30 PM
hee-hee

Nomilynn
05-21-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Ps. What's so freaky about a bird? :confused: A cat can do far more harm than a cute little adorable bird. My friend's kitty just scratched me the other day, just because I wanted to pet her. :(

Birds are unpredicatable and well, for lack of a better word, "flighty." Cat's can't do harm if you know how to read them. They give plenty of warning signs to let you know if they don't want to be touched. Cat's also can't come flying up behind you and get their legs tangled in your hair.. birds, on the other hand, have that ability. I don't like anything that flies, basically. I hate the flapping noise of the wings and if a wild bird was in my car while I was driving, I'm pretty darn sure it would be flapping around my face..

Nomilynn
05-22-2003, 05:10 PM
That scary swooping is only done by birds of prey, like eagles, hawks, etc. and not by normal birds.

That isn't true.

I've been swooped at by crows, and my mom has been swooped at by barn swallows. Any bird that is tending to a nest will swoop, in my experience.

...flying behind you and get tangled in yor hair. That's about the funniest thing I've ever heard.

You wouldn't think it was funny if it actually happened to you. When my mom was little this exact thing happened to her when she went to the barn to feed the pigs. She was attacked by two or three birds, and they got their claws tangled in her hair and couldn't get loose... it's kind of rude to say this is funny when it would be a really traumatic experience.

And when I was talking about the swooping and flapping, I meant wild birds, not pets. My boyfriend's brother has a red shouldered Macaw named Maya, and even though she makes me nervous because I'm not used to being around birds and because of my bad experiences with wild birds, she's a really neat pet. After I finally got used to her she and I would sit and have conversations with each other. I tried to teach her some new words :) We also fed her some of her favourite foods like banana and stuff. She knows how to "poop" on command.. if you tell her to poop before you pick her up she will poop in her cage and she won't poop on someone's shoulder! When she goes to bed she always says "night night" and tucks her head into her triangle bed :)

Anyway, because of the scary experiences I've had with wild birds, that's why I don't like them.

RICHARD
05-22-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Nomilynn

And when I was talking about the swooping and flapping, I meant wild birds, not pets

people think i am crazy and this will pretty much validate that
idea.

i do not know it this happens in other areas of the world but,
the sparrows here in lost angeles play 'chicken' with the cars.

you will be driving down the street and you'll get one or two swooping in front of your car...the first time it's pretty weird..
it's happened SO many times to me i don't even notice anymore.

i have pointed this out to other people i know and they say, 'huh?'

it happens, and i have seen it!

Nomilynn
05-22-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
i do not know it this happens in other areas of the world but,
the sparrows here in lost angeles play 'chicken' with the cars.

OMG! I have seen that too! Stellars Jays do it around here, and also little black birds.. I don't know exactly what they are. Crows do it too!

aly
05-23-2003, 12:04 AM
I've encountered several wild birds who swooped the heck out of me because there were nests in nearby trees. Last year at the shelter, there was a tree out front and the mama bird wouldn't let anyone come inside because she had just had babies so everyone had to use the backdoor :eek: :eek:

I love birds and want to have some someday but I understand where Naomi is coming from. Popcorn, its probably similar to your being afraid of dogs. You had a couple bad experiences from what I remember so you're not comfortable around them. Thats exactly how it is with Naomi about birds.

wolf_Q
05-23-2003, 12:06 AM
Actually, they are not unpredictable *at all.* You certainly just don't know birds. ;) ............Anyway, my point is, they are not unpredictable at all. You just need to know how to read their brains, which I can actually even do with the neighborhood pigeons and doves. :D

Ps. I have dealt with cats my whole life, since I was a baby, and I personally find cats far more unpredictable than birds. Their hunting instincts make them pounce suddenly from hiding spots, and if you don't know where they are, its freaky. There hasn't been a single time that I go to my friend's house that her cat didn't attack my feet from under the dining table. :eek:

ANY animal can be unpredictable. It's a ridiculous statement to say "birds are not unpredictable." Maybe YOUR birds aren't, but all birds? Wild birds? There's no way anyone can say that any wild animal is "not unpredictable."

And well, she may not "know birds" but I don't think you "know cats" either. ;) She's been around birds, you've been around cats. It's a completely different thing living with them.

You obviously would not freak out having your beloved pet birds riding next to you, but somehow I think you may freak out if you had my 3 beloved pet dogs riding in the car with you. ;)

zippy-kat
05-23-2003, 12:08 AM
... Then they started running back and forth and spinning their head to show their anger.

A wild bird that flies would be far to afraid of people to even go near them. That scary swooping is only done by birds of prey, like eagles, hawks, etc. and not by normal birds.

Ok LOL I'm sorry. The first quote reminds me of a cross between Alfred Hitchcock's "Birds" and the exorcist!

You commented that Nomilynn didn't know birds. Well sorry chick, I don't think you know wild birds. ;) YES THEY DO SWOOP and YES THEY DO GO NEAR PEOPLE. The momma/daddy jays that nest in our trees, come **INTO** our garage to yell at us if the door is up. They also yell at us through our front door. And yep, they also swoop!

As far as the whole cat vs. bird, it's one thing to be around them, it's a completely different thing to LIVE with them.

shais_mom
05-23-2003, 12:09 AM
. ;);)

Ps. What's so freaky about a bird? :confused: :(

Have you ever seen Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds?
I have only seen bits and peices of it but if you saw that you wouldn't ask that question.

This is simply a difference of opinion Pops. You LOVE birds and Nomilynn LOVES cats. Neither one of you is going to persuade the other. Nomi isn't going to run out to buy a bird and you aren't going to get a cat.
So she doesn't like birds, big fat feathery deal. I don't particulary care for them either. I know that bird poop isn't a big deal to you but to me poop is poop is poop. And I dont want any of it on my head.
I was around birds when I was a kid. My grandma had 4 canaries at one time in her house, and let me tell you I will take Kylie and her litter box anyday. And my parents bought a house from people (who happpened to be MAJOR SLOBS BTW) who had 2 large parrots and they destroyed the corner of the living room. Course they also had I think 2 cats and 3 dogs and 2 kids in a 2 bedroom house. Not to mention 10 pickup loads of garbage bags in the garage from 10 years before. But I digress.
Nomi and I and any others not caring for birds doesn't make us a bad person or stupid. (not saying that you said that) But I would imagine the paralyzying fear that you would get if my 90 pound golden retriever came flying up to you is the same that Nomi and I would get to see a less than 2 pound crow flying at our heads.

mugsy
05-23-2003, 07:31 AM
Richard, you are quite the story teller!! I can see your story like watching a TV show and to say that it is amusing is an understatement. Although I'm not much for anything divebombing my head, it is a funny picture. I got divebombed by a bald eagle one time....talk about scary!

lbaker
05-23-2003, 08:38 AM
ALY, there you are :D I've been wondering what's been happening in AlyLand lately ;) and Richard... isn't it strange (and funny) that even when you start an innocent little story you can start fur flying :D :D jeez Louise

RICHARD
05-23-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by lbaker
Richard... isn't it strange (and funny) that even when you start an innocent little story you can start fur flying :D :D jeez Louise

feathers too??;)

shais_mom
05-24-2003, 12:28 AM
Pops, I think you are assuming that I am angry, like you are saying that we assumed you weren't joking.

But I call a truce.

RICHARD
05-27-2003, 12:30 PM
this is getting spooky...

on Friday i pull into the driveway and there, waiting for me. is
Mr. Jay-stalking me....he's hopping from side to side, screaming at me........

i spent the weekend being serenaded, at all hours of the night by the Jay family.............

going out for the paper on sunday - the dog next door is barking, Mr Jay is chirping up a storm and i hear a third noise that i can't figure........

upon closer inspection.....

the barking dog has treed a squirrel who is chittering a mile a minute, and Mr Jay is on the roof above my head, taking it all in,
laughing his head off and adding to all the commotion.

Zippy,
be careful,

Jays are evil.........;)