PDA

View Full Version : Breeds with whom I've shared my life

RachelJ
02-22-2001, 11:16 AM
In the course of my lifetime, I've lived with several different breeds of dogs. I thought it might be interesting to know how many different ones we here have known personally. (They don't have to have been "your dog", but ones that at least lived in the same household as you.) I'm not going to count the wonderful mixed or crossed breeds this time. Here is my list..

Rat Terrier - Texas
Shetland Sheepdog - Treve
Airedale Terrier - Candy
Labrador Retriever (yellow) - Cory
Cocker Spaniel - Tucker

You guys shamed me to add my all the mixes and mutts. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif

Spotty - border collie type farm dog
Nicky - "my" first dog, a terrier mix
Penny - adopted blank and brown spaniel mix
Wolf - looked like a minature keeshound
Bailey - Cockapoo - my dog of a lifetime
Tizzie - Cockapoo - sweet, dear little girl
Hannah - Cockapoo - my dog and my teacher

[This message has been edited by RachelJ (edited February 23, 2001).]

Peanut Brittle
02-22-2001, 11:41 AM
What fun. I've lived with:

German Shepherds
Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Great Dane
Toy Poodle
Bassett Hound
Miniature Dachshund
Keeshond
Dalmation
Beagle
Border Collie
and many wonderful mutts

A nice memory exercise.

jackiesdaisy1935
02-22-2001, 11:53 AM
Rachel: This is a great question

First Dog Spaniel, Puggie
Mini Poodle Pierre
Boxer Duke
Mini Dachshund Maggie
Mini Dachshund Hilda
Bassett Hound Charlie
Rottweiler Kate
Mini Schnauzer Kona
Mini Schnauzer Miss Daisy (Daiz)
Mini Schnauzer Dom Perignon (Perry)

They were all very precious to us.

Logan
02-22-2001, 12:12 PM
Rachel,
What a great question!
As a child, I had:
Sput - Boston Terrier
Belle - English Pointer ("bird dog")
Lady - English Setter
Ben - English Bulldog
Missy and Chunk (her puppy)-Boston Terriers
Then as an adult:
Chuck - Yellow Lab
Kaycee - Cocker Spaniel
Honey and Lilly - Golden Retrievers
and my adopted son, Dexter, lab/chow mix.

teena
02-22-2001, 12:26 PM
I was sorta canine-challenged when I was a kid.
Only had:
Mimi - Poodle
Africa - Irish Setter

When I could have my own animals, I turned dog-crazy!
Jake - Golden Retriever
Otis - Dog
Sweetpea - Rat dog
Max - Border Collie
Annie - Aussie
Gino - Toy Fox Terrier (sister's dog)
Sandy - Sheltie (sister's dog)

AdoreMyDogs
02-22-2001, 01:01 PM
Great subject!

Keefer-GSD/beagle mix (had him from the time I was 2 months old to 10 years old)

Beener-Yellow lab (had him from the time I was in 7th grade to less then 2 weeks before my wedding)

Graham-aussie mix (got him when I was about 19 and in my 2nd year of college, have had him about 5 years)

Cassie-pug (have had her a year in September)

Sudilar
02-22-2001, 01:57 PM
German Shepherd Dogs:
Wolf
Pal
Killian
Shiloh

Great Pyrenees:
Avalanche
Blizzard
Bear

Grandmothers' dogs:
Pal -shepherd mix
Sparky -(blind)shepherd mix

[This message has been edited by Sudilar (edited February 22, 2001).]

wolflady
02-22-2001, 02:53 PM
Wow! I'm so jealous at all the wonderful dogs you all got to share your lives with!! Although I wasn't blessed with the sheer numbers, I was blessed with my first/childhood dog growing up (and I'm planning on adopting a dog when our living situation isn't quite so crazy!! I'm looking forward to the rest of my life with dogs!). My sisters and I bugged and bugged my parents to get a dog, and coming home from school in second grade one day, I walked into the family room to see my mom holding the prettiest dog I had ever seen!! This was my first day with Misty (American Eskimo mix(aka Spitz). She was my best friend. Misty saw me through everything. From the crazy teen years, to learning how to drive, to dating, through breakups, through college and just barely to my wedding day. My first dog definitely has a very special place in my heart. She was the best dog for 3 little kids growing up. She never growled or snapped. She calmly let us dress her up and pretend she was a princess. She would sit and lick my scraped knee when I fell down on the pavement. She would share my ice cream cone and my after school snack of cheetoes! She would lay at my feet as I did my school work. She would run to the door when mom would shout "kids are home!" I always thought it was so funny, and cute how she could spring straight up into the air (Eskie trait) when she was excited. When I would come home from college, she would always come and get me for our walks, like we used to take. She was easy to train, and she will forever be my "heart bandit" (www.heartbandits.com).
Karen

tatsxxx11
02-22-2001, 03:45 PM
I was going to post my list, but your story about Misty has got me too "misty." Reminds me of the My Dog Skip story....For days I couldn't think about it without crying. So many memories from childhood during which time our dogs were such a big part of our lives. Irreplaceable memories of irreplaceable love. What a beautiful Misty girl she was....I hope you can share in that special love again soon. Sandra

Phred
02-22-2001, 05:06 PM
This brings back a lot of memories ~

Lady - a fluffy rescued Pomeranian mix
Howdy - huge Sivler German Shepherd (SIL's Dog)
Casey - #1 favorite German Shepherd - best trained, most obedient
Fred - part-Siamese HouseKat #1 - raised as a dog by Casey
Arrow - rescued German Shepherd mix - watch dog turned house mutt
Katey - Black Lab - adopted stray; stolen 4 years later
Shadow - rescue Shepherd/Husky; #1 companion for only 5 short years
Boots - HouseKat #2; walk-up stray raised by Shadow
Cinder - German Shepherd rescue; 2yo Best Buddy / Top Dog
Smokey - G Shepherd/Mix??; just rescued by Boots Kat & Cinder
-------------------------------------------
Sorry, *RJ*, but I had to include the "mixes" or I'd have left out some of my *Best*! And the Kats? Both raised from kittenhood by dawgs - never did *meow* quite right http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif.

/s/ Phred; Dad http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif to Boots, Cinder & Smokey

ownerof3dogs
02-22-2001, 06:23 PM
Doberman-Red
GSD/Saint Bernhard- Chance
2nd Dobey-Red #2
Terrier of some sort- Blaze
GSD/Akita-Felice
Border Coliie/Rotty-Zeus
Brdr collie/rotty/aussie-Hercules

Pam
02-22-2001, 06:57 PM
Great topic Rachel!

Childhood dogs...
Mutt - Laddie
American Eskimo - Fluffy

Adult dogs...
Toy poodle - Peaches
Toy poodle - Pumpkin
Miniature poodle - Ashley
Standard poodle - Whitney

Genia
02-22-2001, 08:35 PM
Oh, Rachel, this is bringing back so many wonderful memories.

Lucky - beagle mix - family dog(found during a freak snow storm in S. MS when Mom was 7 months pregnant with me)
Camp - beagle (rescue)My first "dog of my own". I was 5 years old.
Pinkie - cockapoo - sister's
Twinkie - chihuahua - Mom's
Sam - Rottwieler - brother's
Blue - Black and Tan Coon Hound - brother's
Sooner - Black and Tan Coon Hound - Dad's
Missy - GSD - Mom's
Dusty - Basset/Lab mix - Killed by a mean old man for chasing his chickens http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/mad.gif
Daisy - Beagle - Could NOT handle apartment living. Now lives on a farm about 5 miles from my parents. We get to visit and she's very happy http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif
Jeffrey - Basset/Lab mix (current) - My Goof Ball
Bandit - Pug (current) - My Cuddle Bug

[This message has been edited by Genia (edited February 22, 2001).]

Pam
02-22-2001, 09:05 PM
Genia..Twinkie has to be the greatest name for a Chihuahua!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

I hope that mean old man who killed Dusty gets what's coming to him!!! One of my childhood dogs, the Eskimo called Fluffy, unfortunately got pregnant by a visit from a back yard suitor and had a litter. We think the dad was a beagle....puppies looked "beagle-ish." Anyway, we gave one of the puppies to a neighbor and he had trouble housebreaking it and shot it!!!!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/mad.gif I was only a little kid at the time and my mom & dad didn't know what to do. He should have been reported to someone!! It was horrible!! I can remember all of the kids in the neighborhood talking about it!!! My heart was broken! Boy that was just a sad trip down Memory Lane. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif

KYS
02-22-2001, 09:18 PM
Maltese-- childhood dog
German Shepherd's
GSD/Lab mix. (my favorite/best friend)
GSD/Akita mix (smartest dog)
Poodle/terrier mix (most affectionate)
Norfolk Terrier
Norwich terrier
Akita's

Genia
02-22-2001, 09:31 PM
Actually, Pam, according to the police, the man was within his rights because he was "protecting his livestock" The sad thing is that Dusty was my daughter's dog. We rescued him from the shelter when she was 4 years old. She named Dusty because of his color. We had him for 3 wonderful years. Dusty was such a sweet dog. He was so clumsy and would bump into furniture when he ran through the house. He was afraid of everything! If he heard thunder he would hide under a table or a bed and lose control of his bladder. I didn't witness the incident so I don't know if Dusty was trying to kill the chickens.

A few years after Dusty's death I was looking at the Pet section in the newspaper and saw that someone was giving away a Basset/Lab. I had to call. I was ready to get another dog since I moved from an apartment into a house and planned on going to a shelter. Seeing that brought back so many memories of Dusty, I had to call and that's how Jeffrey came into our lives. He's not as frightened of things, but he's just as clumsy!

[This message has been edited by Genia (edited February 22, 2001).]

Daisy's Mom
02-22-2001, 09:49 PM
This is a great topic Rachel! My lovely Basset Hound Daisy is my first dog, but I have been blessed to know many other wonderful dogs in my neighborhood:

Joey - Bernese Mountain Dog. He lived next door with my cousins. A wonderful sweet dog who died at age 4 of cancer http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif

Chelsea - Boston Terrier. Lived with Joey. She's six now, and rather antisocial

Sammy - Yellow Lab. Lives across the street. One year old, very hyper!

Moe - Brittany Spaniel. My best friend's dog and Daisy's boyfriend! He's 14 and lives down the street.

[This message has been edited by Daisy's Mom (edited February 22, 2001).]

Corinna
02-23-2001, 12:19 AM
Going back 40 years yikes I am that old !!
BLINKY gold cocker 6months old got distember
PATSY black cocker/springer 17 years old had to have her put down blind deaf and loss of bladder control (she had a very high dignaty )hubby helped at her funeral under her faviorite lilic bush . had her longer than adopted brother.
SALLY black lab
QUEENIE yellow lab
SPOT brothers beagle and gery hound (climbed trees
Honey 1st regerstered Springer raised 4 litters of award winning feild hunters
Pandora Blind springer trained for tracking
Duke st. burnard
Angie gold cocker
Necia rottie
Shadow black cocker
Buddy Newfy
largent red chow
miling black chow
bear Newfy
and now the world famous sofa spud Merlin springer
I show and train dogs my dad says a house with out a dog is just a house not a home.

wolflady
02-23-2001, 11:31 AM
Thank you Sandra, well said! Misty definitely had a huge impact on me.

I forgot to list my sister's 2 dogs! She has Bear (chow/collie mix) and Shadey (Sheltie mix) They recently opened up a winery in Indiana named after their dog Shadey. It's called Shadey Lake Winery (www.shadeylakewinery.com) http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

Karen

AdoreMyDogs
02-23-2001, 03:48 PM
Karen (wolflady),

My yellow lab died just before I got married too...It was actually a blessing when he died because of a a couple reasons. First of all, I always promised Beener that I would be there for him until the very end, and I am good with my promises. He was "my dog" for all of my teen years, and he was there to help me through those rough years with a waggie tail and love filled eyes. When my husband and I decided to get married in Jamaica and roll our wedding and honeymoon together I would be gone for 2 weeks. About 3 weeks before we left for Jamaica for the two weeks to get married, Beener stopped eating and his bones began to show. I knew something was wrong with him but I had no idea he would get so sick so soon. I took him to the vet right away. It was bad. His whole stomach was filled with some huge massses. The vet tried a couple of medications, and Beener just could not keep anything in. Then he stopped drinking water about 2 weeks before I left for Jamaica. I took him back to the vet for any "miracle news" and the vet told me that he thinks Beener should "go to sleep" because the stuff in his stomach had spread so much and he was too old/weak/proud for major surgery and then chemo. I had the vet come to my house 4 days later. About a week and 1/2 before I left for Jamaica. He put Beener to sleep in our living room while he layed on a massive pile of pillows and blankies.

It was a blessing that he decided to get severly ill before I left for Jamaica, otherwise I would have never forgave myself for either waiting until he was in pain when I got home from my wedding or having someone else put him to sleep and me missing being with him in his last moments. I think he knew that he had to "give up on life" before I left for Jamaica. He was so smart and kind.

The other blessing about his passing was that shortly after he breathed his last breath I felt my first feeling of a spirit being lifted out of it's shell. I was holding Beener when all of a sudden I felt this AMAZING spirit start circling around me. I was sobbing so hard but this beautiful spirit that began to circle faster and faster around me lifted my sorrow away. It was so playful and light and happy. It was Beener in his original state. It actually made me smile when he did that. Here I was, holding my lifeless dog and I had a little smile on my tear stained face. The vet was still there when it happened but he did not feel it, nor did my family who had to leave the room while Beener was being put to sleep. It was him thanking me for being there with him, and for being his friend. It was a blessing.

Just thought I'd share that with you. I posted it awhile ago but you probably did not see it.

petspoil
02-23-2001, 04:12 PM
Baby - Shetland Sheepdog
Gordon - Golden Retriever
Ruby - Shi Tzu
Kenji - Yorkshire Terrier
Lady, Daisy, Lucky - beautiful mutts
Bobby, Healthy, Donna, Nala, Simba, Cookie - miniature schnauzer

wolflady
02-23-2001, 06:07 PM
Adore, what a sad, but great story! You're right, I hadn't seen your story before. I got teary eyed just reading it because I, along with everyone here who has lost a pet, can relate to those feelings. A first pet definitely has a huge impact on a person. I quite agree with you that it was a blessing that Misty went to the rainbow bridge before my wedding, because I was gone for a 2 week honeymoon(cruise), and Misty wouldn't have been able to be kenneled that long. Especially since the wedding was in my hometown of Columbus, IN and not in California. She was rapidly going downhill in her health, so we all felt it was time for her to go to the rainbow bridge at the age of almost 16.

I just thought I would share my story since I don't have a present dog as of yet to talk about, and my family really didn't grow up with pets, so this was a big impact on all of us.

Rottie
02-23-2001, 06:47 PM
I've had a

Shepherd mix who looked an awful lot like a pure Shiloh Shepherd
black/tan German Shepherd
Yellow Lab
Rottweiler/Lab mix
Rottweiler*
black/tan German Shepherd*
black German Shepherd*

*=is still with us http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

pupperluver