PDA

View Full Version : How did they react when you first got them?

binka_nugget
05-20-2003, 08:21 PM
How did your dog react when you first got him/her? Was there a reaction at all?

Kai was shy and sorta scared at first. When we first saw him, he was trying to jump out of the play pen and onto us but the moment he was carried to the carpet area and let free to roam, he avoided us. He was pretty shy until a few days later. I remember the first night, he hid behind the couch and I tried getting him out in fear that someone might accidentally squish him.

Pam
05-20-2003, 08:27 PM
We brought Bella home, as an 8 week old puppy, one evening. It was about a hour's drive from the breeder's and we got home around 8:00 p.m. and she had slept in the car on the way. Once in the living room she was racing all over like the silly little girl she still is. She acted like she had always lived here!

Ripley came from a shelter and arrived at his new home in the late afternoon. He was very excited to be here and raced around getting to know his new Big Sis. At one point he attempted to be a little too friendly with her, if you know what I mean. :o He was quickly neutered. :o

primabella
05-20-2003, 08:34 PM
When we went to get Mick, we took him out of his pen and set him down while we signed the papers. The breeder has her Pom and her Pom's new baby in a separate cage in the room. Mick was wondering around and started sniffing at the Pom's pup. The Pom got so mad (defensive of her baby) she barked and barked. Mick got so scared and he peed right there. It was too funny. :D
He was good on the car ride home. It was like a 1/2 hour away and he just sat there calmly on my sisters' lap. When we actually got home he was exploring and very active. he just wanted to play. After about 30 minutes it semeed to have hit him that he wasn't with his littermates anymore and he just sat in fornt of the mirror and cried his eyes out. It was sad but getting his attention with the ball sort of helped. (You guys probably know about when he "jumped" over my mom's leg and got stuck) I knew from all these things he was an active, playful, social pup. :)

Kfamr
05-20-2003, 08:39 PM
Simba was so shy of everyone besides me and my dad. He would growl at everyone. He bit my mom twice. It took him months to get used to everyone else.

Nala loved us lol...She's not shy of anyone. She is starting to bark whgen she hears strange noises though, i guess that's a good thing... cause that means she'll be good protection =-]

GoldenRetrLuver
05-20-2003, 09:05 PM
When i brought Daisy home, Molly was soooo happy! But then a jealously thing started like nipping at Daisy,and growling, she got used to it, and now they are the best of friends!:D :)

Rachel
05-20-2003, 09:57 PM
Hannah was a tiny puppy. The first time I held her in my arms she had just woken up from a nap. She showered me with sweet little puppy kisses. After that, my heart had been stolen. Little did I know that the angel puppy only came out when she was tired and the rest of the time it was devil dog!

Tucker was a grown dog who had spent time in a shelter and subsequently another home where they decided not to keep him. He was brought to our house and he jumped into my lap from a stand still. His previous owner said we should keep him for the weekend and then decide if we wanted him. It was a matter of minutes before I had made up my mind that he was now in his forever home. When his previous owner walked out the door that night, he never even looked toward that door. I think he had made his mind up as well. He took to our house and our routine like he already knew it.

wolf_Q
05-20-2003, 10:28 PM
It was so long ago, I don't really remember with Reggie and Smokey.

Nebo was NOT happy. He'd been alone in a dog run with just one sibling for quite a while...I think he and his brother were really attached. He cried in my arms at the breeders house, and just YOWLED in the car the entire way home. When we arrived, Reggie rushed out of nowhere and scared the pee out of him (literally!). When I took him outside he was really scared and just hid under the deck. He opened up a little while later that night when he started to splash in his water dish and chew on his toys. :) It took him quite a while to get adjusted though.

Zero
05-20-2003, 10:47 PM
buck, he was only about 8 weeks old when we got him, little puppy, he was scared on the car ride home... he puked all over me :rolleyes: We got home. My mom had to run and get the stuff you first need when ya get a puppy! a leash, a collar, puppy chow, dog treats, And of course, Puppy chow.
While she was gone... 10 minutes with my brother And buck, And i already loved him... he was scared at first, but we got him to goto sleep on our couch, And in 2 days he was fine, and all he wanted to do is play and run and pee and poop lol

DoggiesAreTheBest
05-21-2003, 05:52 AM
Draker was very playful inside his pen at the shelter, but when it came time to take him home, he wouldn't come out of the pen!! Andrew had to carry him up to the front desk. Draker didn't cry or howl, he kinda snuggled in his daddy's arms! Once we got outside, he was fine and walked with us to the car. But as soon as the door openned, Drake ran under the car!! Poor guy was terrified! He rode well in the back seat and then inched up slowly and ended up in Andrew's lap before we got home!

That very same day, he went with us to an outdoor fundraiser at our college where his met all of friends and played for hours!! He was not at all shy!!

Tina
05-21-2003, 09:15 AM
Don't ask why but when I seen Ruff I was kinda afraid of him. But then after I started talking to Rob he told me how nice he was. And he was right Ruff was very shy at first when I walked over to him.

Ginger she was only like 6 weeks old I think. She wasn't very big at all. She was so very tiny. I feel in love with her right away. She also loved to give kisses and snuggle that's how I knew she was mine.

Oscar he was only 5 weeks old when I got him because my friend said they were eating soilds:rolleyes: And that the mother wasn't really taken care of them anymore. They were some but not much. Anyways ever since the first day I seen them. I knew I wanted Oscar. He was just so cute. He was the quite one and the biggest *lol* turns out he grew to be shorter then his brothers.

Aspen and Misty
05-21-2003, 10:01 AM
When we went and got Nova the first thing she did was walk in the house and sit on the couch as if to say this is my place now. LOL. For days she whinned at the door hopeing we woudl take her back "home". 2 weeks went by and she got Spayed and feel extremly ill. I carried her outside to go pee and spoon feed her her doggie food. It was a scary experince watching how much pain my baby was going through but we got through it and since then she was been a "normall" dog, although she does have one big personality on her!

Huney Bumpkin was sleepy when we brought her home, all she wanted to do was sleep. Thats really the only thing I rember about the day we brought her home.

Ash

ramanth
05-21-2003, 11:22 AM
Kia was a little nervous, but she could of been feeding off my emotions because I had never owned a dog before and even though I was excited, I was of course, nervous.

It didn't take her too long to understand that she was home to stay and she became more playful and less shy. :)

tikeyas_mom
05-21-2003, 11:39 AM
when Tikeya first came home she was so car sick. she trew up all the way to my house. and when she got home she just slept wile I rubbed her tummy. she was only 5 weeks old.

Oscar didnt care, he was just a flop. he slept, played, folled Tikeya everywhere.

ParNone
05-21-2003, 01:25 PM
In all the books I've read they say you're not suppose to expose
your new dog to a lot people and activity right off the bat. Well
Murph was exposed to all my relatives when I first got him,
because my grandfather died that night. I didn't want to leave
my new puppy at home alone, when I got the call in the middle
of the night, so I took him with me to my grandparent's home,
where everybody was gathering, waiting for him to be taken
away by the coroners. My mom was initially upset with me, but
after she saw how much it was helping everybody, including my
grandmother, to hold and play with the puppy, she admitted
bringing him turned out to be a wonderful thing. Murph turned
out to be such a gregarious chap, that I decided maybe the
books were wrong about the isolation thing.

So when I got Maddie, I took her straight from the breeders
to visit with some friends. She never once seemed shy or
scared. She had a marvelous time getting showered with
so much attention and she turned out to be very outgoing with
people too. It was a different story when I introduced to Murph,
that first day. He was 6 mos old at the time, so quite a bit bigger
than an 8 week old puppy. He loved her at first sight and wanted
to play. She growled at him to back off and he ran from her like
she was Rottweiler. She's has had him hen pecked ever since.:)

Oz was shipped via airplane from Wisconsin to me, so I thought
he'd be scared by the time he got here. Nope, he was thrilled
to death to see me. I took him straight from the airport to a
family b-b-que and he had a blast playing with everybody. He's
also turned out to be very people oriented. The introduction
with Murph and Maddie later that same day turned out pretty
good too. He wanted to play with them right off the bat. It took
Murph a couple of days to warm up to him and want to play.
Whereas Maddie was friendly initially to him and then after a few
days of being nose poked, decided he should stay out of her
space. But for the most part she tolerated him pretty good.

Par...

RubyMutt
05-21-2003, 01:48 PM
When we first met Ruby she was crazy. Lol :D We went to visit her at the shelter after seeing/reading about her on petshelter.net. The people at the shelter let her out of her pen and she went running around like crazy :D She was so cute. She eventually ran over to us and just laid there and soaked up all the attention. She was a character :) When we went to pick her up and take her home a few days later it was like she'd been with us for years. She hopped right in my car and sat down like she had done it a hundred times before :) When we got home she wasn't shy or timid at all. She was very loving and curious. The only rather strange thing that happened was she growled and barked at a decorative mask I had sitting on the fireplace. She HATED it. I moved it up onto the entertainment center and she was fine after that. :D When it was time for bed she just hopped up on my bed and went to sleep. :D She's such a cutie..

Cincy'sMom
05-21-2003, 04:09 PM
Sadie was 8 weeks when we got her and we drove about 1 1/2 hr to get Sadie and we stopped at my mom's on the way home. All Sadie wanted to do, was hide under my dad! She would lay under a towel or she would try to crawl under him. To this day she sleeps under the covers.

Cincy was only about 6 1/2 weeks when we got her, but we also drove about an hour or 1 1/2 to get her and again we stopped at my parents onthe way back. She was pretty mellow, but the poor girl had so much food inher little belly! I think being the runt of the litter, she wasn't getting her fair share of the food and when 1/2 of her bros and sis's went home the day before she finallt got the food bowl and didn't know when to stop! Stop pooped every hour on the hour for about the first day!! Sadie ignored all the puppies when we went to get her (She wanted a kitty) and was not at all sure what to make of a new pup in her territory and didn't want anything to do with her. I cried a lot the first night, sure we had made a HUGE mistake! Thankfully I was wrong, and from about day 2 on they have always been best buds! When they stay at my parents they even share the same kennel, by their choice.

Spot was 2 1/2 when I brought him home in March. He was about
4 hours away and Sadie, Cincy and my parents went with me. At the shleter and in the car the dogs checked each other out and were fine. Once we got home there was a little growling at first, but by the next day they were all playing and Sadie and Cincy have adopted just fine to having a an older, littler brother. I don't think we could have asked for 3 dogs to get along any better!

clara4457
05-21-2003, 04:47 PM
Leo was 8mos when I got him from the SPCA two years ago. He was definitely one happy pup. He just went tearing through the house like he owned the place. Leaped over furniture - jumped on the coffee table - over the arms of the sofa - anywhere he could get to.:eek: He also decided that every arm, sleeve, hand, finger he could get ahold of was his own personal chew toy. The play biting was sooo bad - I was black and blue for a month. It took us a while to redirect his playing to appropriate toys instead of me!!!

Penny Lane (we think about 6 or 7yrs) hid under the table or dug her nose into my body the first night. Her back legs shook for 2 days. She absolutely loved Leo though - followed him around constantly for the first few days. She is really coming out of her shell now - she is still timid (its only been a week) but she is getting much better.

cali
05-21-2003, 05:49 PM
i was going to ask this question myself:)

happy was the only puppy besides her merle sister to pay any attention to me whatsoever, she crawled on my lap, and gave me kisses, she still does this:D

misty when i was snuggling all the pups one at a time, misty fell asleep in my arms, when we left she kept trying to follow me, but she had to wait a few more weeks to come home, she was very happy to see me again!

those are the only 2 that belong to me, shadow is my dads,perky an Ripley are my moms, and i was not their was they got them:(

lovemyshiba
05-21-2003, 09:10 PM
Great thread!!!

Kito was our first doggie. We went about 3 hours to get him, and stopped to see my husband's brother on the way home. When the woman we got him from opened the door of her motor home (we met up with her at a show), he ran right out and over to us, like he knew. He was great in the car, and we took him all over to meet everyone that night. He never whined or cried, and just wanted to play from the first day we had him--he was 8 months old at the time.
Abbey was a bit different. We went to see her at the rescue, and the guy told us we could take her home that night, to see how she and Kito would get along. We weren't exactly prepared, but we took her anyway. That night was a little difficult. Kito was NOT a happy camper--all he wanted to do was bark at her. She slept in a crate that night, and the next day I got his rope toy out, they played tug of war, and have been friends since--as long as there aren't treats or bones involved, they get along perfectly.
Riley was totally unexpected. I went to the SPCA, and came home with a pup some woman was getting ready to drop off. We were moving in 4 days, and not really too keen to the idea of a pup--but I got him home (he cried and laid in my arms the whole way), and to the vet for a checkup. Kito got a little rough with him, but Abbey has been a lover since day 1. He was scared though--he hid under the desk, sat on my lap, and laid on the nightstand and desk to get away from the other two.

kingrattus
05-21-2003, 11:23 PM
Max didn't care at all. We got him at a pet store for $20.00can. He was super playful the whole time we took him away, the drive home, & for days after. When we first got him all we did was play & hold him the whole time. My dad even took a few days off work to make sure Max was ok & bonding well.