PDA

View Full Version : HELP, please!!!!!

zippy-kat
05-19-2003, 07:50 PM
Our good ol' NM wind just blew one bluejay out of his nest. He still has downy feathers. Can't fly but he can sure hop! (Am I naturally attracted to all hoppy creatures? lol) And MY GOODNESS does he have a set of lungs on him!!!

There's not a wildlife rescue (in operation) in our area.

We raised one once before but neither mom nor myself remember what we fed it (this was YEARS ago--I think I mighta been 8yrs old). It seems like mushy dog food and boiled egg?

HELLLLPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!

Desert Arabian
05-19-2003, 07:55 PM
Hmmmm....I have NO CLUE how/what to do with little birds. I suppose if you tried to put it back in the nest, the mother bird wouldn't come back!!??!!

Here is an article from the Milwaukee Humane Society. Scroll down a little bit on the page and there should be a title " I found a baby bird on the ground. What should I do." That might have some good info. !!Click Here!! (http://www.wihumane.org/wildlife/index.html#babybird)

zippy-kat
05-19-2003, 07:58 PM
Thank, YLL. Going to look now!

The nest is WAY up in our tree. Not sure we can get him/her back up there.

Is it true that all wild birds have lice?

Aspen and Misty
05-19-2003, 08:00 PM
Hmm I know with starling you feed them sometype of mash.

The website of a good starling/house sparow page is www.starlingtalk.com now I know you foudn a blue jay, but you said you feed one egg and dog food, sounds about what we feed our baby starlings.

Keep him warm. A heating pad on low. Put him in a bowl and surround him with paper towels and put a paper towel on top of him. Take a heating pad and put it in a box. Put the heating pad on low and cover it with a blaket. This will keep him warm.

Goodl uck. I will try to find some pages on how to feed a baby blue jay.

O and the myth about if you touch a baby bird the mom will reject it is not true, it would be perfectly fine to put the baby back.

Ash

Cookiebaker
05-19-2003, 09:00 PM
Aww Zippy, that's so :(!! I've only had pet birds (parakeet, cockatiels and lovebirds) but no knowledge of wild birds. I guess that's not very helpful, but I wish you the best of luck with him. Hope you find out some answers!!!

zippy-kat
05-19-2003, 09:11 PM
Well, "he" has a name now... Jay Cheeter.

Here's a coupla pics...

zippy-kat
05-19-2003, 09:12 PM
one more....

Aspen and Misty
05-19-2003, 09:13 PM
AWWW I want one ;) LOL

He is ADORABLE!!! Good luck! I hope what I told you helps you even a little!

Will you be keeping this little bundle of downey? or will you be releasing him?

Ash

zippy-kat
05-19-2003, 09:18 PM
Thanks Ash! I assume care would pretty much be the same for starlings as jays...?

I'm still trying to locate our heating pad (right now he's under a heat lamp). Whenever I find it, I'll move him into the paper-lined magarine tub like the site suggested. We've mushed some doggie food and boiled an egg... he's ate about 3 bites. And EVERYTIME he eats, he immediately poops! :eek:

As for keeping/releasing... ?? We'll cross that bridge when we come to it... I'm just trying to keep him sustained!

Cookiebaker
05-19-2003, 09:27 PM
Oooh oh oh!! He is soo sweet!!! And so little!! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Keep strong, Jay Cheeter!! :)

wolf_Q
05-19-2003, 09:33 PM
Oh he's so cute!! Sorry, I don't have any advice for you, but good luck! :D

It must be that season......a groomer at my work today had a baby bird (maybe a robin?) in a box with her that she was feeding (mushed up dog food). I guess her sister-in-law found it or something, all of the other babies had died and only this one survived. :(

cali
05-19-2003, 09:40 PM
awwww I dont know much about birds, but I know when I was little my brother, and me, and out friend went for a walk, and we found a young halk with a broken wing on the sidewalk, one of us stayed with e halk, and the other 2 went to get my mom who called the wildlife rehablitation center, and grabed a box and a towel, we got the halk safly to my house and waited for it to be picked up :D by the way jay cheeter is adorable!:D

shais_mom
05-19-2003, 10:47 PM
he looks so sweet!
Good Thoughts are on the way

popcornbird
05-20-2003, 12:13 AM
Oh poor baby! He's SO cute! Awww! I don't know much about wild birds so I won't be much help. Good luck! I'm sure you'll do well! :D

Nomilynn
05-20-2003, 12:58 AM
I looked on Google.ca and found birdrescue.org. Under "rehabilitation" there is some good info. Good luck! :)

zippy-kat
05-20-2003, 12:15 PM
Morning Scenario:

I wake up to "Cheeter-cheeter." Still groggy from sleep, I pull the cover over my head to warm up. "Cheeter-cheeter." I think I'm imagining things. "Cheeter-cheeter." Cheeter-cheeter? OHHHH the bird! "Cheeter-cheeter. Whoops!" Whoops? Birds don't say "whoops." Finally, I leave the all-too-lovely warmth of the bed and trudge to the kitchen.

"Cheeter-cheeter." It's mom. :rolleyes: "Cheeter-cheeter." A beak pops open, food goes in.

:D ....She took him to work with her today.... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jay Cheeter is doing great so far (hope I didn't just jinx myself).
He sat on my finger last night and did an impression of a mini-vulture -- a very talented fledgling he is. lol

I found a "bird lady" but can't get her to answer the phone.

*sigh* I'm starting to get attached.

Aspen and Misty
05-20-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by zippy-kat

*sigh* I'm starting to get attached.

Did you know birds make WONDERFUL pets, just ask Popcornbird or any other bird owner. o I'm not helping am I??

he sounds adorable! Please more pics!

Ash

zippy-kat
05-20-2003, 01:21 PM
LOL yes, ash. I know birds make good pets -- I've had 'tiels and 'keets before. :)

However, I don't feel right in keeping him because of our (way too interested) feline population. It wouldn't be fair to him.

kingrattus
05-20-2003, 05:06 PM
I wake up to "Cheeter-cheeter
===========
hehehe... Reminds me of when I had Peetree.. Except it was my dad talking to Peetree & Peetree talking back. Peetree had a good set of lungs on him. & we learned when he was hungry, when he wanted out of his cage & when he was looking for me.

Just wait till he learns how to fly & then starts dive bombing u for food. Its a blast... hehehe.. Peetree injured his tail bone or something like that because his tail didn't grow out right, so stopping was something he wasn't very good at. But he loved getting pony rides! or I should say doggie rides... hehehe Max loved him alot. I taught Peetree to chase Max when Max got too close to him, only cause if Max stepped on him, he would have been flatter then a pancake.

Aspen and Misty
05-20-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
LOL yes, ash. I know birds make good pets -- I've had 'tiels and 'keets before. :)

However, I don't feel right in keeping him because of our (way too interested) feline population. It wouldn't be fair to him.

Well, I just though I would inform you on how WONDERFUL birds are as pets and how GREAT they are. And how much fun they are. and how attached to you the get.

LOL bad kittie cat!

Ash

zippy-kat
05-21-2003, 02:29 AM
A family friend dropped by this evening. Of course we showed her our new friend Jay Cheeter. She asked what we were going to do w/ him; "try and give him to the "bird lady" whenever we are able to get ahold of her."

Our friend knows the "bird lady" -- she goes to church with her and our friend's father has "helped" (read on...) her around her house. Our friend's father (a doctor) was afraid to go into the house because of the sanitary conditions. He said there were animals EVERYWHERE (collector maybe?) -- snakes in the bathtub, birds loose/caged, etc. -- the place was FILTHY. They also said she no longer sleeps in her bed (converted it into an animal room); she sleeps upright in a recliner. Is this a place I want Jay Cheeter to go? I don't think so!

On the other hand, I don't really know that much about raising a baby bird. And, she is suppose to be REALLY good at the nursing part--is called out to the hospital to help w/ the premies sometimes.

Now what do I do? Give him up to the 'bird lady' or take my chances?

popcornbird
05-21-2003, 02:34 AM
Oh my. :eek::( Seems like a tough decision. :( I would definitely NOT give the bird to the lady, simply because of the dirty environment. With all those many many animals that live with her, it may be way to stressful on a little baby bird. :( Is there any way you can call her for advice on the nursing part though? Perhaps calling an avian vet for advice would be helpful. I'll try to look for sites on the web and if I find a good one about baby jays, I'll post it for you. With all the pets you have and that animal loving heart, I'm sure you can handle it well. Good luck!

Ps. How is the bird doing now?

Aspen and Misty
05-21-2003, 09:54 AM
Did you know birds make WONDERFUL pets???

:D

What I would do? Hmm, go to the library and read up on bleu jays. There natural behavior and everything about that. I would also go on line and look all over to find some good things on blue jay's and how to raise them. But thats just me :D in my opnion if you ahve been handling him and he reconizes you wouldn't he be already to far gone and un able to be released? If you are going to release a bird yo ucan't let it see you, you can't hold it and it's contact wiht people has to be minimul. I do bleave that up higher you said he sat on your finger? So you are having contact with him, which is not at all something wrong that you have done, cause I haev to admit I hold all my baby birds :D So, I don't think anything you are doing is wrong. I'm afried if yo utried to release him he migh be to human friendly for it and it could get him into trouble. Now I know you can't keep the little guy because of your kitty cat situation and I know there are no otehr bird people around you so sorry to say I dont' know what you should do.

Maybe try calling an hour or 2 away and finding someone, ti would eb a long drive but if yo ucan't keep him, well worth it.

Ash :confused:

zippy-kat
05-21-2003, 10:36 AM
Thanks PCB & Ash.

The morning uppie-date:
Jay Cheeter got a little too warm last night and was somewhat dehydrated this morning. Then to top everything off his dog-food/boiled egg mash spoiled. We got him to take some water but he wasn't interested in the new mash. I've got him here at work with me and he's ate a couple of times, drank some water, but has yet to poop.

The starling site said that most rescued baby birds will be dehydrated to some degree & to try gatorade. I'll pick some up on my lunch break.

Yes, Ash, I think he's going to be too human friendly to release.

ANDDDDD Get this -- (You'll love this next part :D )
My Dad (who usually says, "no more animals") told me NOT to give him to the bird lady. If Jay Cheeter can make it, he's going to get him a cage. Now.... I have no idea where I'll put it that's out of kitten-reach but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, I guess.

Right now, I'm worried about getting him to eat/drink/poop.

Logan
05-21-2003, 10:56 AM
:) Tonya, I think you are taking over the title of "Mother of Many". I'm keeping Jay Cheeter in my prayers!!! Sounds like you are doing everything humanly possible to keep him healthy.

Aspen and Misty
05-21-2003, 01:54 PM
You aren't putting water staright into his mouth are you? On the starling sight it says never to do that. Try soaking bread in the water and giving it to him.

I hope he begins to eat more again. I'm glad you can keep him :D did I ever tell you birds make WONDERFUL pets, :p

Ash

kingrattus
05-21-2003, 02:07 PM
Try garfield canned cat food (the small tins) & 1 scrambled egg. My starling loved it!!!! & all u have to do is put it into a plastic container & stick it in the fridge. My starling never ate warm food, I was scared I would make it too warm & burn him.

Peetree went nuts during feeding time. He loved the stuff way too much.

zippy-kat
05-21-2003, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

No, I'm not putting water straight into his mouth. I place a bead on the corner/tip of his beak and let him lick it off. Although, he most of the time licks it off my finger.

WE HAVE POOP! (and lots of it :rolleyes: )
Actually, this morning I didnt' think he was going to last throughout the day. But he's bright eyed now! I left him in the office while I went to lunch. When I came back, I immediately had to answer the phone. He started peeping when he heard my voice! :D I fed him, he pooped again, and now he's sleeping.

I may not be able to keep him as I just found out that it's a federal offense! :eek:

I know that some wildlife rehabilitators keep birds (that are unfit to reintro) for education purposes. My mom's a teacher so I have a classroom to educate. ;) Now I just have to find out what I need to do to be able to declare myself a "wildlife rehabilitator." (I would love to do that esp w/ bunnies! :D )

Aspen and Misty
05-21-2003, 02:38 PM
LOL, ohh Tonya

I hope you can get this Wildlife rehab thing, it would be AWESOME! Expesially for them little bun buns!

Ash