PDA

View Full Version : More pain to go along with everything else!

kimlovescats
05-19-2003, 05:01 AM
Chandler, one of the only two kitties to not show signs of sickness yet, is a big Maine Coon mix.

Yesterday as I was trying to carry him dangling through the house (back legs hangin... big mistake) he kicked up his back feet at my hand and tore a gash in my left hand. I screamed and immediately ran to the sink as it started pouring blood. I've never had anything hurt so bad.... it is pretty deep for a cat scratch, and I cried like a baby.

I am going to attach a couple of pics..... don't look if you are weak-stomached! ;)

First one ... right after it happened...

kimlovescats
05-19-2003, 05:03 AM
Just took this a few minutes ago.... it is hurting again, so I took off the band aid to take a peek. I have been putting lots of Neosporin on it ... hoping it's not infected??? :confused:

Please pray for my hand..... :rolleyes:

IttyBittyKitty
05-19-2003, 05:27 AM
Kim, that looks REALLY painful! I hoped you used plenty of medical disinfectant on that! I know what you're going through, Pixel is teething and sees my hands as her own personal chew toy! Ouch!

I hope your hand gets better soon :)

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-19-2003, 06:59 AM
Sending prayers that your hand will be on the med really soon!

jenluckenbach
05-19-2003, 07:20 AM
neosporin is good, but let me tell you what I call the MIRACLE cure.........Betadine. I get A LOT of bites and scratches from work, and soaking the area in warm betadine/water solution is the thing that has always helped the most. The you can also but more betadine directly on the area and bandage it. Works like a charm.
Don't feel too bad, all this terrible stuff will be in the past real soon. It always seems to gang up on you all at once, but that is the price you pay for any streak of good luck you had in the past.;) Hang in there.

ChrisH
05-19-2003, 07:45 AM
Boy, you are going though it aren`t you? Just hang in there girl, everything will even out soon I am sure.

Keeping the prayers and positives going for you and the kitties.

Chris

PayItForward
05-19-2003, 08:14 AM
I refer to a bad day, when everything goes wrong as a 'red letter day'.

You are working though a bad 'red letter period'. This are very rare times in your life, things will get better (hopefully very soon)

As mentioned before, you really are due a good luck streak (so start doing the lottery !!!)

moosmom
05-19-2003, 08:23 AM
Kim,

I'd go to the doctor's office. From the looks of it, it's infected. Don't take any chance PLEASE!! Did you pour Hydrogen Peroxide on it? That's what I did when I got bit by a stray.

Please do yourself a favor and get to a doctor. It needs more than Neosporin. You need antibiotics!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Vio&Juni
05-19-2003, 09:10 AM
Take all the advices here and when it forms a crust, use some Vita-K (I have it from US, btw. Not available here.). Vita-K will help heal faster and will not leave a scar. I had one almost like yours on my breast and I can barely see it. Juni was in bed with me and suddenly, got scared :eek:

krazyaboutkatz
05-19-2003, 11:12 AM
Kim, I'm so sorry that this happened. :( Prayers are on the way for you and all of your kitties. Please get well soon.

Cataholic
05-19-2003, 03:19 PM
OWIE!!! That does look painful. I hope you are UTD on your shots...and some water water washes/compresses and an topical antibiotic, and back to the war field you go.....

Kirsten
05-19-2003, 03:30 PM
Kim, that looks bad! :eek:

I agree with moosmom, better go and see your doctor, it could be infected! Looks very bad for a cat scratch!

Kirsten

kimlovescats
05-19-2003, 03:30 PM
Thanks!

I stopped in my vets office for a good cry a while ago. :(
Dr. Brunner is the best!

While I was there I asked him to look at my scratch... he said it looked pretty clean ... so I'll just keep doing what I've been doing. Washing it out with warm water and putting Neosporin and bandaids on it!

;)

Kirsten
05-19-2003, 03:40 PM
Good to hear that - get well soon!

Kirsten

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-19-2003, 04:38 PM
It sounds like you have the scratch under control by now, and if Jen suggests something, I would think that would be the thing to use since I'm sure she gets a lot of scratches, but just for future reference.....

Terry got two really bad deep cuts on his fingers about 1 1/2 months ago now, from the ladder of the motorhome. (I was inside and he opens the door and yells in "Got some band-aids?" We always have band-aids in the MH (motorhome) so I just went to the medicine cabinet and got the box. I get to the door to hand them to him, and he's bleeding profusely all over the place!:eek: :eek: I was ready to take him to the emergency room because I thought he cut one of his fingers off or something, but he would have none of it. :rolleyes: ) Anyway, he was worried about it becoming infected so as soon as we got home, I had soak his hand in warm salt water. My Grandma always did that. She said the salt draws out the infection and any other bad stuff in there. Then I had him put alcohol and hydrogen peroxide on it to kill any bacteria that the salt didn't get. Then he put some triple anti-biotic ointment (generic Neosporan) on it and bandaged it up. He kept it bandaged and ointmented for about a month. It healed up so well that once the brown grows out from under his nails, you won't even be able to tell he almost ripped two fingers off. :eek: ;) :)

Oh, and needless to say, now when he comes down the ladder, he is extra, extra careful. I'm just glad I was there. One of my biggest fears is that someday he'll be doing something on the roof - fall off - and I won't find him until later that day when I go look for him because he hasn't come home yet.

Miss Meow
05-19-2003, 05:42 PM
Ouch. Glad you went to the doctor as the swelling on the second pic didn't look good. Hope it all heals up soon. Aren't scars from cat scratches character building??? :rolleyes:

koxka
05-19-2003, 08:26 PM
Kim , when Magda the Iggy got a sore on her left ear the Vet gave her the very same prescripcion as your! LOL Neosporin... But he told us not forget to clean with Hydrogen Peroxide in between applications to get rid the old Ciclosporin which could still remained stuck on your skin.

Take a break if you can or at least take it easier. That kind of things always happens when you are overstressed, lack of attention, etc...

Good luck !:)

carole
05-19-2003, 09:11 PM
Oh i can empathize with you kim, i had a very nasty cat bite few months ago, wont go into detail, and had four puncture wounds, i had to have a tetanus shot and antibiotics for week, it was extremely painful and swollen, could not use the hand for a week, so please get it checked out properly, it looks nasty, u may need antibiotics yet. poor u , things have been tough for you lately, have faith kim i am sure there is light at the end of the tunnel. thinking of you and HUGS