PDA

View Full Version : Allergy-free dog?

kiddingru
02-19-2001, 08:07 PM
Anybody got any suggestions for a dog lover on a perfect choice for 2 middle aged working adults with an empty nest on a suitable dog? Asthma is a contributing factor to be considered. We recently lost
our 2 beloved terrier mixed dogs of 15 years within 2 months of each other. In June our wired haired terrier mix died of kidney failure and in August the fox terrier mix died of poor health. Not looking to rush on new pup, as you can never replace a faithful pet. We will make room for a new one someday soon. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by kiddingru (edited February 19, 2001).]

Genia
02-19-2001, 09:17 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. The fact that both happened so closely must have been very hard on you and your family.

The standard Poodle is hypo-allergenic and does not shed. I know there are a few other breeds out there the same. I have read Poodles are very good family pets. I have a Pug and a mixed breed. My daughter has asthma and she does well with both.

We had a discussion about shedding and allergies some time ago. This is mainly about shedding but maybe you can get some ideas.
http://petoftheday.com/talk/Forum3/HTML/000059.html

Sudilar
02-19-2001, 09:48 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. I have asthma and I was allergic to my first GSD (27 yrs. ago). I had desensitization shots for about 1 year and that worked. Presently I own two GSDs and my asthma is still under control. I have also owned a Great Pyrenees with no problem. I take Accolate for my asthma now. Good luck.

Daisy's Mom
02-19-2001, 10:14 PM
I have asthma and I am not allergic to my basset hound. I have also heard that Bichon Frises are hypo-allergenic. My aunt almost got one for her daughter with bad allergies, but they got a lab and my cousin is fine with her.

jackiesdaisy1935
02-19-2001, 10:33 PM
If you don't have any small children, I would suggest a Mini Schnauzer. They are very loyal, great personality, loving and they do not shed. However they have to be brushed about every other day. They are great watchdogs, will let you know if anyone is close by. We have two and would never have any other kind of dog again. By the way there is a Schnauzer rescue board with plenty of Schnauzers looking for forever homes.

sammi
02-20-2001, 12:03 AM
I also have asthma and have no problem with my Lab mix. I am lucky not to be sensitive to dog hair - but shedding could be a problem for others.

shais_mom
02-20-2001, 01:15 AM
How about a Chinese Crested? They are so ugly they are cute!!! And they look so darn cute in sweaters and such. In the summer they need sunblock, though.

karlicat
02-25-2001, 09:37 AM
OOOOOH, I have the perfect dog!
Havanese - they don't shed, they are small, happy dogs, and good around everybody. I repeat, they do not shed. I am allergic to everything with fur and I have a havanese
and I am fine. The only catch is, they have to be brushed about every other day because they have fine fur and gets mats sometimes.
Sorry about your dogs, and good luck!

Pam
02-25-2001, 12:09 PM
I have to weigh in here. I agree with Genia. I have had four poodles (in all 3 sizes). You can pick the size that is best for you. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif Toys and minis make great lap dogs and my standard would have loved to be a lap dog too but, at 45 lbs., it was not possible, though she did try. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif They are very easy to train, and housebreaking is easy to accomplish in a short period of time. With both of you working you might appreciate that. Even though you won't have lots of time to spend on training (with not being home during the day), they will pick it up easily, although the more time you can spend the better.

They don't shed, but the downside is they require routine grooming maintenance. It is usually just a matter of clipping every six weeks and occasional brushing in between. We kept our babies in the "puppy clip" which is fairly close to the skin, and matting was not a problem. The areas which were left long were the hair on the ears and tail tip and I would just comb them out while watching TV.

We are sort of in the same situation that you are in. We are doggieless right now, having lost 2 dogs in 2 years' time, and we are just now making early plans to bring another baby into our lives. For the longest time my husband said "No more dogs. I can't stand the grief of losing another one." Let us know what you decide. Good luck with your decision. There's a pup out there waiting for you (and me)!

kiddingru
02-25-2001, 01:09 PM
Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions. Good news! We have made a connection! A fellow my husband works with has a chow-retreiver mix that has just had a litter of the sweetest little pups you ever saw. They are 6 weeks now and will soon be looking for new homes. We decided to do the touch test and see if either of us would get choked up. Guess what, we are soon to be the proud owners of an albino chow-retreiver
? mix when we return from our Carribean Cruise. We have read about both of these breeds good and bad and after spending a few hours with the good natured and docile mother; who doesn't bark, or even seem to mind the 2 small children playing with its babies (5) we chose the runt of the litter who the owners say is much like the mother. I only work 3 days in a nursing home as an Acivity Director and will train the dog as a
working dog for therapy with some of my patients. My supervisor has a Minature Alaskan ?? which comes every second day and as I only work 3 days we will schedule dogs to alternate. Pets are wonderful therapy too! Thanks to all who have responded, it was much appreciated. I'll keep you informed as to how our still nameless dog is doing.

Genia
02-25-2001, 02:15 PM
Congratulations on your new pup! Let us know how things are going.

Daisy's Mom
02-25-2001, 06:54 PM
Congratulations and good luck with your pup's training. Tell us when you think of a name... but if you can't, you know who to ask for ideas! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

karlicat
02-28-2001, 07:59 PM
I have some good names:
Fenella
Oh by the way, is it a boy or girl??
Congrats on the puppy, hope it brings u much joy!!!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif
I have lots n lots n lotsa GREAT names so just ask if you need a really creative cool name!
Examples:
Phaedrus (FEE-druss)
Opius, Rapsodia, Calypso, Misu (means ripples
in the water), Kendi, Kiora(love), Kalila (beloved), Nuala (means white-haired http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif)
Phailin (sapphire), Luyu (wild dove)
Tryphena(delicate), Kefira (young lioness)
Roqwin (a name I made up for a male.)
Etc etc etc etc...

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

***CATS WILL RULE THE WORLD SOMEDAY***